• 3 weeks later...

Watched the first three of The Expanse last night. Wow, this season is really dense! I love it. I read the book long ago, I didn't know what to expect from its different feel from the others. Of course there were only three episodes released. And they give you just a glimpse of the season "money shot" in the last 10sec of ep 3, those dirty rats!:angry:

The Haunting of Bly Manor. Been out for a few months, Oct 9. Really good story and told without the usual jump scares expected of haunted stories. The cast were great and the stories wove together nicely with a few nice surprises in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tykS7QfTWMQ

https://www.netflix.com/title/81237854

Spoiler

A couple of caveats would be the narration style, as it is then not its own stories, but someone else's. And the ending. I much prefer happier endings and would have wished they had simply left it with Dani and Jaimie driving off together. This one was too bittersweet, unless they come out with a season 2 that fixes it.:p I would imagine not though as this and Haunting of Hill House are anthologies.

Edited by Thom

6 hours ago, Thom said:

The Haunting of Bly Manor. Been out for a few months, Oct 9. Really good story and told without the usual jump scares expected of haunted stories. The cast were great and the stories wove together nicely with a few nice surprises in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tykS7QfTWMQ

https://www.netflix.com/title/81237854

Hide contents

A couple of caveats would be the narration style, as it is then not its own stories, but someone else's. And the ending. I much prefer happier endings and would have wished they had simply left it with Dani and Jaimie driving off together. This one was too bittersweet, unless they come out with a season 2 that fixes it.:p I would imagine not though as this and Haunting of Hill House are anthologies.

The Haunting of Bly Manor was pretty good. the first 4 episodes had me thinking do I want to watch the rest as I felt it was a little slow in where they were going with the story, then it got better and better. No real lose ends and a good finale.  

Caught up on Season 5 of The Expanse released so far.

Yeah, this will be a different experience than binging through a whole season's worth of shows.

Will feel like I'm in the Slow Zone with the speed limit kicked in. ;)

Also, thanks for the warning @sqidd.  Didn't upset me too much, since this has been how the show operates for awhile now.

Regarding The Expanse Season 5, Episode 4:

Spoiler

Guess there's a Free Navy member that's a Fuchikioma or Ghost in the Shell fan. :lol:

. . . And is it bad that I'm already ready for someone to cap Marco ASAP.  It was bad enough he killed Ashford, but now his a-hole quotient went through the roof.

EDIT:  Looks like the board censors are still on!  a-hole slurms! :crazy:

Edited by Mog

7 hours ago, Mog said:

Regarding The Expanse Season 5, Episode 4:

Hide contents

Guess there's a Free Navy member that's a Fuchikioma or Ghost in the Shell fan. :lol:

. . . And is it bad that I'm already ready for someone to cap Marco ASAP.  It was bad enough he killed Ashford, but now his a-hole quotient went through the roof.

EDIT:  Looks like the board censors are still on!  a-hole slurms! :crazy:

Spoiler

I don't get the GITS reference, can you fill me in?:hail:

Yeah, if their intention with Marco was to make you hate them with every fiber of your being...........................they did a great job!!!!!!:lol:

That's not how Fred Johnson died in the books.

My wife and I just blew through the first two (and probably only because of the pandemic) season of this. A really fun watch. The series is a bit of a tribute to Bruce Lee. And it shows.....in a good way. Pretty good story. It's Skinimax, so a fair number of good looking ladies. And the fight sequences are pretty darn good. If you're looking for a turn your brain off good time, this is it.

6 hours ago, sqidd said:
  Hide contents

I don't get the GITS reference, can you fill me in?:hail:

Spoiler

That red robot that invaded Fred Johnson's room and extracted the protomolecule reminded me of this:

Fuchikoma.thumb.jpg.90e83bd04afaa598e5ea90a9028ced3f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if it was mentioned yet but "Muppets Now" is practically the Muppet Show if it were done as a youtube show.  Great stuff there.  My favorites so far are the Swedish Chef having a Taco cookoff with Danny Trejo (and getting into a mustache posing contest), Statler and Waldorf showing up in Episode three (and hopefully sticking around), and some of Miss Piggy's bits (though not all).

I binged Into The Night on Netflix yesterday with the wife. Not bad. A good Sunday binge watch. It's not high brow. It's not stupid either. One of those shows that you don't have to switch your brain all the way on for and you can just sit there and be entertained. It's only 6 episode and about 40min per so you can blow right though it. If it was a movie I would call it a "Popcorn Movie".

15 hours ago, sqidd said:

I binged Into The Night on Netflix yesterday with the wife. Not bad. A good Sunday binge watch. It's not high brow. It's not stupid either. One of those shows that you don't have to switch your brain all the way on for and you can just sit there and be entertained. It's only 6 episode and about 40min per so you can blow right though it. If it was a movie I would call it a "Popcorn Movie".

I enjoyed this one, looking forward to season 2. B))

Regarding the latest Expanse,

Spoiler

Damn, Naomi! 

Massive set of balls there!

Part of me wonders if Filip’s interest in Medina station is to take it over/exploit weaknesses.  Or if he’s just interested is his mama’s work.  We’ll see.

10 hours ago, Mog said:

Regarding the latest Expanse,

Reveal hidden contents

Damn, Naomi! 

Massive set of balls there!

Part of me wonders if Filip’s interest in Medina station is to take it over/exploit weaknesses.  Or if he’s just interested is his mama’s work.  We’ll see.

I think the way this season is laid out where you're jumping around so much isn't working with the once a week release schedule. Just when i'm getting back in the story.......the episode ends. I should have waited until they were all out an binged it. Oh well, still great and I will probably watch it again anyway.

It's been years since I have read the book but I don't remember it being so Naomi family drama oriented. I love her character and arc. I do feel like it has taken center stage when the book gave equal billing to everything going on at the time. A very small complaint.

The space battle with the Roci in this last episode was BEAUTIFUL! Stellar (pun intended) stuff there!

I think Philip is just interested in Naomi. He never struck me as very ambitious. He just wants to please Dad. They have made some changes from the book (more so than other seasons) so it may go another way.

And OMG, I didn't think I could hate Marko any more. I was wrong. Man he is written and acted perfectly. I want to strangle him to death!:lol:

I really like this reviewer. He just posted this:

I'm totally BORED with the whole Naomi family drama thing this season, I mean damn, it's been like 3 episodes worth now at least??? She's just not my favorite character of the show and never has been.  I love the show, but this season seems weak to me aside from about 2 episodes thus far.  I do like Marko, he's nailing that part. Are we supposed to know who the girl is from the prison? If we are, I don't remember. 

9 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

I'm totally BORED with the whole Naomi family drama thing this season, I mean damn, it's been like 3 episodes worth now at least??? She's just not my favorite character of the show and never has been.  I love the show, but this season seems weak to me aside from about 2 episodes thus far.  I do like Marko, he's nailing that part. Are we supposed to know who the girl is from the prison? If we are, I don't remember. 

That is Julie Mao's sister. She did some bad stuff in season 3.

Here is to the Naomi family drama toning down as the season goes on.

I was hoping for a lot more Amos. In the book his exploits on Earth were super entertaining. I'm bias though. I absolutely adore the character. 

Welp, Amos is an ass-kicker who just says whatever is on his mind and doesn’t fear anyone, paying zero heed (or fraks) to their rank or status.

I kinda knew going in that watching one ep a week would have a different feel:  they got so many characters, and all those characters are spread all over the whole system for this season.

Plus, the show tends to end most eps with some sort of cliffhanger or big surprising reveal.  Makes the show very conducive to binging, but not so much for a slower weekly experience.

If you’re looking for something to fill in that wait, the after-episode show on YouTube isn’t too shabby.  It’s okay background filler to have on while you’re working on other tasks.

On 1/14/2021 at 8:29 AM, sqidd said:

That is Julie Mao's sister. She did some bad stuff in season 3.

Here is to the Naomi family drama toning down as the season goes on.

I was hoping for a lot more Amos. In the book his exploits on Earth were super entertaining. I'm bias though. I absolutely adore the character. 

YES! More Amos!!! Julie Mao's sister....ok, hmm...I don't remember that far back I guess...oh well. 

Julie was the person that was trying to kill them when they were trapped in the slow zone.

Haven’t started this season yet as I’m waiting for it all to be out so I can binge it. I’ve read all the books so I know what the gist of this story is. I agree about the Naomi stuff. She’s just not that interesting of a character to me and remember wanting to move on from her stuff during this arc, but it is integral to the overall story. Also not a fan of belters, politically speaking, so it’s a really hard story to get through for me.

Chris

I think you mean Clarissa, Julie’s sister.

Julie’s the rebellious sister that got involved with the protomolecule  in Seasons 1 and 2.

Regarding the belters, I get how some of the very minor characters and political figures can be annoying.  But the development and character moments for Ashford and Drummer made me fans of those two.

I'm fairly certain the current TV series is covering my least favorite book in the series.  As for Amos, hopefully at some point they get to the latest book (though with just one season left I don't see how).  His character gets a lot of the plot time and it is some of my favorite parts of the whole story.

39 minutes ago, Mog said:

Regarding the belters, I get how some of the very minor characters and political figures can be annoying.  But the development and character moments for Ashford and Drummer made me fans of those two.

I think the Belters are real interesting and to a pretty big degree I sympathize with them. I tend to root for the under-dog though so there is some of that. I'm a fan of the Belters forming their own nation and not being under the boot of the inner planets. But, more Fred Johnson's approach than Marko's. There certainly are some despicable Belters. That can be said about pretty much any group of people though. 

Just now, Dynaman said:

I'm fairly certain the current TV series is covering my least favorite book in the series.  As for Amos, hopefully at some point they get to the latest book (though with just one season left I don't see how).  His character gets a lot of the plot time and it is some of my favorite parts of the whole story.

There is chatter that the show may be picked up by a third outlet for 7-10. Netflix? They have the money. The question is do they re-cast everyone to pull off that they jump 30+ yrs in age? Or do they do the makeup thing. I'm not sure which would b better.

I'm officially over the Naomi Nagata show (the current Expanse season) after last nights episode. As a character she is just not that interesting. And now the show revolves around her. The book was not like this. I fast forwarded through everything Naomi last night. It took me about 15min to watch the show. I'm really disappointed. Way to go show runners. You've taken one of my favorite shows and turned it into something that annoys me.

On 1/18/2021 at 9:39 AM, TangledThorns said:

Watching Bridgerton with the wife on Netflix. Ugh and thankfully its just 8 episodes. I guess I owe her for watching Raised by Wolves with me, lol.

Holy crap same situation here with my girlfriend, except I got her to watch the first season of Westworld, which is amazing, and not a fair trade-off for me cringing through Bridgerton. She even liked Westworld and is in for season 2 after we finish Bridgerton and the final season of Spartacus on STARZ, which is also beyond incredible, that show is fantastic. 

On 1/18/2021 at 9:39 AM, TangledThorns said:

Watching Bridgerton with the wife on Netflix. Ugh and thankfully its just 8 episodes. I guess I owe her for watching Raised by Wolves with me, lol.

I don’t consider myself a prude, but I think me and the wifey were laughing at one of the episodes in particular.

Like without all the sex scenes, it would probably cut the series runtime down by at least half.

To its credit, the show gave me the phrase, “Pulling a Bridgerton,” to incorporate into “polite” conversation. :p

On 1/15/2021 at 4:13 PM, sqidd said:

I think the Belters are real interesting and to a pretty big degree I sympathize with them. I tend to root for the under-dog though so there is some of that. I'm a fan of the Belters forming their own nation and not being under the boot of the inner planets. But, more Fred Johnson's approach than Marko's. There certainly are some despicable Belters. That can be said about pretty much any group of people though. 

If the show is covering the book I'm fairly certain it is then you must have skipped the pages you didn't like.  It was the Naomi book (and Amos, with the Amos story being more interesting).

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

If the show is covering the book I'm fairly certain it is then you must have skipped the pages you didn't like.  It was the Naomi book (and Amos, with the Amos story being more interesting).

I don’t remember the book being so Naomi heavy. It’s actually one of my favorite books.

2 hours ago, Mog said:

I don’t consider myself a prude, but I think me and the wifey were laughing at one of the episodes in particular.

Like without all the sex scenes, it would probably cut the series runtime down by at least half.

To its credit, the show gave me the phrase, “Pulling a Bridgerton,” to incorporate into “polite” conversation. :p

My wife explained to me the series is based on romance novels, hence is soap opera cheese, and I looked it up on Wiki there is 9 books... Frak!

Can't wait till we finish this season and we can move onto something a lot more manly, lol.