Macross Card Fighter TV Commercial

Tochiro

Thanks for posting! It is a treat to see the Macross mecha hand animated again. The "labelled" micro missile is a hilarious in-joke. It's interesting to see the animated version of the VF-25. It looks really good, perhaps even more aesthetically interesting than the 3D model. But maybe that's just nostalgic fanboy speaking :)

Turning a critical eye toward the advert, the modern production values seem to enhance the video but the animation adeptness isn't really all that impressive. The drawn detail is actually quite low. Much better than SDF Macross or the average episode of Macross 7, but doesn't even approach a level like that of Macross Plus or DYRL. Kinda strange considering this advert is so short, I would have expected the quality to be higher.

• 2 weeks later...

As much as you seem to be excited by this old style animation (I like it too), it is not hand drawn nor 2d, it is CG all over again.

Is digital art but is obviously hand drawn. Is not computer generated (vectors and stuff)... that's why the models do not look as 3D realistic as those of Plus, Zero and Frontier... -_-

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I think he means that the Plus valks were not CG. Anyway, Save in the latest podcast mentioned that the valks in the commercial were actually modelled in 3D and then made to look like 2D hand-drawn anime.

I think he means that the Plus valks were not CG. Anyway, Save in the latest podcast mentioned that the valks in the commercial were actually modelled in 3D and then made to look like 2D hand-drawn anime.

I do see some vectors in the animations and they look a lot like those from other productions (exactly the same sequences) but the texturing and the art looks 2D.

And yes, Macross Plus had some CG valkyries in it...