1/350 Scale thread... Mospeada, Southern Cross and more!

EXO

Yup. It's one of those instances where one view doesn't match the others. If you look at the very first picture I posted up top, you'll see that the box matches the top view at first but all the other line art doesn't match that detail. And like Sketchley mentioned if you look at the inside the ship, that box stays there when the gates are open and if it was that long then there can only be about 3 rows of Iigas that would fit towards the front. Good eye though... thanks.

Another bit of detail that's there and isn't in the other views is the black recessed panels over the vents(?). I thought about incorprating them but it didn't make sense and looked a lot better without. Trying to make all the anime geometry come together in the 3D world was the hardest task once again with this project.

attachicon.gifvents.PNG attachicon.gifsheldo-06.jpg

Great and impressive job!!

May i just ask something?

I always thought that this second pic (sheldo-06.jpg) is a bottom view and it's for this reason the black recessed panels over the vents are not present...maybe the top and bottom parts are not perfectly identical?

Maybe i'm wrong 'cause i can't read japanese language....

post-1010-0-46823500-1396223430_thumb.jpg

Very very impressive what you've done!!

Edited by akim

I see what you mean, that box structure miraculously becomes shorter when the clamshell opens. All the closed shell line art seem to show the longer box structure on top, but, as stated, that would severely cut on internal volume; nice catch and compromise...shows you've been staring at this thing, and considering the compromises necessary to make it all work, far longer than I have. ;)

Pretty much! I went with the length of those pointy dividers inside the deck of the ship instead to get the length of the box.

Great and impressive job!!

May i just ask something?

I always thought that this second pic (sheldo-06.jpg) is a bottom view and it's for this reason the black recessed panels over the vents are not present...maybe the top and bottom parts are not perfectly identical?

Maybe i'm wrong 'cause i can't read japanese language....

attachicon.gifIMG_3236.JPG

Very very impressive what you've done!!

That's my story and I'm sticking with it! :lol: It's entirely possible, but usually when they have something like that, the illustrator will show the 2 views to show the differences that are done on purpose or some sort of notation. The other major difference between views are how much those vents (or lights?) that are recessed when the gates are open but seem to pop out more when they are closed. It's possible that they move out when the ship in transport mode but then there would be an illustration with arrows to show the animators that that's what suppose to happen... I guess when doing these things we have to ask the same questions the animators do except when rendering in 3D or sculpting by hand, it's a bit more difficult because you can't just omit or add lines where you choose.

post-151-0-43851800-1396244815_thumb.jpg

First off thanks to everyone that complimented the build. I was too busy thinking about the questions to reply.

Part of me wants to do the build but part of me is kind of daunted by the scale and the amount of Inbits. My recommendation to the Tundrayeti and Neptune Survey would be to cast the Inbits in the correct color to cut down on painting time and avoid scratches if or when they took the Inbits out. If I was to paint one though, I think it would take me a year to finish. I would probably end up using different clears to give it that tiled panel look on big ships. I never really looked at this ship before. I thought it looked plain but having all the details outlined really makes it look robust in 3D. Now I think it'd be something that would look good in a James Cameron film.

First off thanks to everyone that complimented the build. I was too busy thinking about the questions to reply.

Part of me wants to do the build but part of me is kind of daunted by the scale and the amount of Inbits. My recommendation to the Tundrayeti and Neptune Survey would be to cast the Inbits in the correct color to cut down on painting time and avoid scratches if or when they took the Inbits out. If I was to paint one though, I think it would take me a year to finish. I would probably end up using different clears to give it that tiled panel look on big ships. I never really looked at this ship before. I thought it looked plain but having all the details outlined really makes it look robust in 3D. Now I think it'd be something that would look good in a James Cameron film.

It will be interesting painting the inbits for sure. My dilemma will be the wave launch of inbits from the sheldo.

That looks awesome EXO! I can almost smell the resin... I would also reccomend the passengers be molded in color - for the sake of the purchasers sanity (like me) ;) - just sayin' - MT

• 2 weeks later...

just one question, why 1/350 ? for matching with the Garfish resin kit ?

Since the scale 1/350 of the resin kit garfish is wrong (it's near to 1/600), perhaps it will be a good idea to make this Sheldo in 1/600, not?

Edited by varitechs

I understand. What I'm saying is, 1/600 will be too small because they want the smaller mechas such as the Iigas, Bioroids and Regults that goes in them too. It's actually an incredible project. But yes, I myself don't have space for the 1/350 sheldo... :D

just one question, why 1/350 ? for matching with the Garfish resin kit ?

Since the scale 1/350 of the resin kit garfish is wrong (it's near to 1/600), perhaps it will be a good idea to make this Sheldo in 1/600, not?

If you use the new measurement of 179m (587ft), which is from Shadow Chronicles, then the Garfish would be the wrong scale. Since I used the measurement of 107m (350ft), from older sources before Shadow Chronicles, then the scale is correct. The sheldo dimensions are based on the older sources to maintain consistency.

there seems to be a virus going around..

<cough> hovertank <cough> <cough>

pretty infectious...

The infection will soon spread. Some love is coming for SC fans in 1/350th. :D

If you use the new measurement of 179m (587ft), which is from Shadow Chronicles, then the Garfish would be the wrong scale. Since I used the measurement of 107m (350ft), from older sources before Shadow Chronicles, then the scale is correct. The sheldo dimensions are based on the older sources to maintain consistency.

Thank you for your answer, yes, I thought the Robotech dimensions were wrong but after some research online, I found the same measurements..

http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/mecha/viewmecha.php?id=31 == 179m

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~cyc01/hstc-27.htm =========== 178.7m

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/mospeada/mospeada/garfish.htm === 178.7m

I found nothing on my 3 artbook (or it's in japenese language...)

What is your source?

Edited by varitechs