Model Section vs. Workshop

EXO

Hi guys... I'm going to start cleaning up the 2 sections. All threads with finished pieces in the models section. Also news announcements about releases will be here also.

All WIPs will go to the workshop.

Kit build ups meant for resale for will go to the workshop unless it's ready to go. Unpainted is OK, but it has to be fully sculpted.

Computer aided modeling step by steps also go in the workshop.

As always, these sections are for Macross kits only. Everything else will go to Other Anime and Scifi section.

Remember, no recasts of kits even if they've been slightly redone, unless the original kit builder has given permission.

Workbench thread will move to workshop also.

Sorry, as much as I love Mospeada this is a Macross site and only Macross gets the focus...

That's what tags are for. All Mospeada threads should get tagged and when you click on it it becomes a Mospeada forum for you.

Same for all "models" or "model kits". It's not like we have threads about super models. :lol:

Just for clarification, and not to be a trouble maker but like a lot of old timers at MW i have a stash of 1/55 parts in resin (if you get my meaning!) from kind of before that was really taboo. So if i ever finish said 1/55's with old stash parts, no displaying here at MW at all or just kind of "hey check out my custom Jfire conversion!" with no mention of resin.

Only ask because i have been itching to do an old school 1/55 custom, may not really get to it anytime soon, but the people i would want to share it with are here, not a for sale thing either, just sharing.

Will respect Mods decisions of course.

thanks

mike

You can display an entirely recasted Macross piece as long as there's no sale mentioned on the thread or any threads later as far as I'm concerned... But you can't display a Jetfire conversion here in the model section... not Macross, :D.

It's basically the same rules as before, just asking you guys to put build ups in the workshop. Thanks!

Ok, so 1/55 Jetfire to a Super O or VF-1D or any other VF-1 custom build thread would be ok in the Workshop, once done off to the Toy section, or even just up under member customs gallery?

Again, sorry to be a pain, just want to get this right if i ever get around to doing some 1/55 customs again, been kind of nostalgic for them lately, been using that wayback machine to look for old MW customs. I have a stash of resin parts, some mine, some others that i have horded that i hope to tackle one day.

Actually can't believe that i have had some of the parts for like 10+ years!

thanks again

mike

Cool, yeah i got a stash of parts, from multiple sources as well, and a stash of Anazazi decals, plus decals i printed myself, oh and like a dozen 1/55's patiently waiting for some TLC.

You would think i would be sick of the VF-1 after all this time, but no, spend lots of daydreaming time on them...

This is bullshit. It's bad enough that non Macross builds have to go in the generic anime forum, but now the workbench forum gets moved as well. I hate that if I wan't to search for one of John's build up threads when I didn't even know it existed.Way to fragment the hobby. As a user I say bin the workshop thread and let builds for the respective genres exist within the respective Models, and Toys forums.

If you agree then give a shout out here in this thread. Mods please take heed.

Edited by Berttt

Who cares, we can still post wip and finished builds.

A search will bring them up.

Mods got a good reason for it and they make the decisions here and NOT the posters who get their knickers in a knot when things don't go their way.

Shawn put up those sections and made up the rules. This is a Macross site, not all your models site. Putting things where they belong is just cleaning it up instead of having 2 sections where people put up build ups and WIPs. That means you only have one section to search. It's still the same forums, it's not like you have to sign up and register for a whole new one. As far as I know the only things moving is your mouse and your fingers... you don't literally have to run to a whole other room.

I agree with Berttt, without the rant. But I also understand that this is in fact a Macross forum, not Mospeada/Robotech/Cyclones... Without this forum, I wouldn't have actually watched the original Macross.

If anyone wants to post models and builds in their respective topics, then there is always the robotech.co m option. you can post anything robotech related there.

I prefer this one tho.

Hi Exo

In general I can understand most of your changes. I do think that having the workbench thread in workshop makes much more sense. However I disagree heavily with your change to exclude non-macross stuff from the workbench thread. Actually I think its a very bad decision, that will make me and others post less here.

That thread, (and its earlier iterations) has been there for maybe a decade. Thus, I don't think one can argue that its somehow taken away from this forum's focus. If anything its added to the skills of the people involved. Frankly, there isn't that much macross model building; I would suspect ALL of us build macross stuff as a secondary passion along side aircraft, sci-fi or military kits. However to make the best macross kits possible a lot of basic model-skills are required which are drawn from all manner of

I'll give you one concrete example from recent memory. WM Cheng recently had a problem with his Space Battleship Yamato Cosmo build, specifically his alclad primer. He didn't know what was wrong. I've had similar issues with that product (its formulation itself is bad), so I explained what to do to resolve it. That's information that he and other users can apply to other models, including macross ones. I've taken tips from people on their gundam kits, or HWR's chipping on military vehicles, that I will use on my macross battroids... I think for that reason alone it makes a lot of sense to allow posters to post whatever they want in that thread. If we look at other modellers, especially in Japan, most of them have multiple areas of interest, which are evident on their blogs and the like.

Furthermore I feel that shunting all of that work over to the anime and sci-fi is a poor substitute. The thread will get quickly buried in a bunch of inanity. It would divide the amount of builds as a whole so that neither thread will get much attention at all... leading to less interest in total.

The modelling community as a whole is a fairly tight-nit group. I'm pretty certain that once this policy becomes known among others, or you start actively moderating that thread, you're going to face a backlash... not just from random people, but the ones who do post quite a bit of content on this forum. Bertt's post is really indicative of how we feel inside..Does creating such a backlash really help promote macross modelling? I personally don't think so.

Truthfully, the old thread did not elicit much attention or any confusion among people: rather it helped promote to macross modelbuilding, and fostered a good community spirit here. Please don't take that away from us, because of some desire to enforce a notion of consistency that really does not apply well to this area of macross fandom.

Edited by Noyhauser

Sorry for the confusion... Workshop thread will still the same. It's just stand alone threads about other anime models that should be opened at the other anime section. If that's what everyone was talking about then I'm in full agreement. We also allow people to open their own threads about their own models that's mostly macross and they can include their own non macross builds in those threads. As long as finished models threads are here and build up threads are in The Workshop.

It's not just in the model section that this happens. People try to put their non Macross Toy Collection. 3D art, fan art, fan fiction or what ever it is that people want to post all over the forums. Asking for a special treatment for one section is asking to make this forum that has a special purpose to be opened up to basically anything. Hopefully you can understand that.

Hope that's what everyone meant then we're all in the same page from the start.

Just to make sure I'm not mistaken:

So from now on, the workbench and workshop threads are for Macross-related builds only. You can still ask for model-building advice (for non-Macross kits) in those threads, right?

Also, are all non-Macross model kit builds (Gundam, AC, etc.) and 3D-printed items or CAD designs go to the Anime or Science Fiction forum as individual threads?

Edited by GU-11

Workbench is still the same. You can post whatever you are working on in there.

Rules are still the same. Any threads that do not concern Macross do not belong outside the anime and other section.

The only thing I did was move build up threads to The Workshop.

Oh, well, in that case... all is good. Sorry about the rant. Your first post seemed to suggest that I needed to post stuff in anime and scifi. I understand that non-macross stuff threads should not be in unique threads... I always assumed that was the rules!

My bad.

Edited by Noyhauser

No problem. Thanks for explaining the confusion to me.

If you guys have any suggestions about dealing with models in the Other Anime Section that doesn't involve building a whole new section, let me know. I was thinking about a pinned Models thread that people can post a link of their work onto?

No problem. Thanks for explaining the confusion to me.

If you guys have any suggestions about dealing with models in the Other Anime Section that doesn't involve building a whole new section, let me know. I was thinking about a pinned Models thread that people can post a link of their work onto?

A pinned models thread in the anime/sci-fi section would be wonderful.

One more dumb question because I absolutely suck at reading rules and regulations:

Where do I post finished non-Macross kits, customs, etc., since the model kits forum is only for finished Macross stuff?

There's a thread at the Anime and Scifi forum, but it says, "Scale Model LINK thread." Where do the actual posts go?

Edited by GU-11

One more dumb question because I absolutely suck at reading rules and regulations:

Where do I post finished non-Macross kits, customs, etc., since the model kits forum is only for finished Macross stuff?

There's a thread at the Anime and Scifi forum, but it says, "Scale Model LINK thread." Where do the actual posts go?

Same spot that Exo pointed out. I think the title needs to be made a little clearer, though.