Macross II: Lovers Again BD-Box in July

Zhou

• 4 weeks later...

I really want to get this, but as I'm saving up for a possible trip to Japan this year, I'm not sure if I am going to get it. I'd be sold for certain, if it had dub or even the US Renditions dub attached to it, like Plus did with their BD. That said, as I doubt that will happen, I'll probably stick to my US Manga release and wait and see if this release gets any less as time goes.

Probably not, since MII is a joke in the US. Any potential US increase would probably be so small as to be statistically insignificant.

If Bandai is really interested in US sales analysis, then the subbed Frontier movies should have provided them with some useful data.

I don't think this is going to be a large release to begin with, so any sales numbers outside Japan would be significant.

That's not how statistics work. The larger the sampling size, the more reliable the data.

Yes, but what he's saying is that the Blu-Ray release of Macross II is going to be to a comparatively small audience, so the small volume of sales in the US is still going to be more apparent than usual. Of course, as the usual sample size for a Macross release in the US is zero, anything more than zero is going to be enough to count as significant.

• 2 weeks later...

Official website for the Macross 2 box set is live, but does not yet have the tv commercial with new commentary by Hiroko Kasahara that is currently airing on tv.

http://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/macrossII/

Was on the fence about buying it since no subs confirmed, but I saw the commercial and the print is immaculate and the animation and character designs hold up well. More money gone it looks like.

Apparently the inner jacket is going to be done by Masami Obari! Also, there is going to be an audio commentary on it, called "Message from Ishtar".

Sounds interesting. Please don't make me buy this, you b***ards. :p

Apparently the inner jacket is going to be done by Masami Obari! Also, there is going to be an audio commentary on it, called "Message from Ishtar".

Sounds interesting. Please don't make me buy this, you b***ards. :p

It's probably just the fanclub-only single, "イシュタルからの伝言 / ト・ア・ウィアラブル・レン﹣もういちどLove You"...

I think because of the way it was written, I misinterpreted the description. I think the audio commentary is a separate thing, and the "rare" "Message from Ishtar" is an audio-only extra. They did the same thing for the Tickemaga CD thing on the Macross7 BDs (oh and all 13 episodes of that damn Sheryl Nome radio show to pad the FB7 BD, which I still haven't finished listening to), so there's precedent.

And I did end up ordering this. Although I do miss that awful English dub. There's less to make fun of now!

Oh, one more thing -- upon a closer inspection of those promotional trailers, I think I spotted a couple of scenes from the problematic "blue-tinted" episode that we mentioned on the Podcast... and they look like they're supposed to (without the blue tinge)! Erm... I think! Well, we'll find out in July, I guess.

• 2 months later...

Going on sale at the Tokyo Anime Center on July 5 to commemorate the upcoming bluray box - Macross 2 smartphone cases and art cards. The smartphone cases are 2000yen each and the art cards are 600yen each. Prices do not include consumption tax.

post-9325-0-33400800-1403851578_thumb.jpg

post-9325-0-30265900-1403851580_thumb.jpg

post-9325-0-62307700-1403856185_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tochiro

By way of explanation, it's basically an introduction to what Macross 2 is - for all those new Frontier younglings. Was release by BW to coincide with the theatrical screening a couple of weeks back.

Boxart finally hit the webs a couple of days back.

post-9325-0-12096100-1404142766_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here it is! The disc design itself and the booklet cover is a plain, phoned-in design. The finish is similar to the MacPlus box, though, with a nice smooth texture. Watched episode 1 and it looks nice and clean.

Oh, and they got rid of the blue in Episode 3! :)

I'll review the extras and commentaries later.

post-1318-0-78283100-1406205357_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-87454500-1406205359_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-74905400-1406207284_thumb.jpg

Edited by Renato