Bandai DX YF-29 Ozma Lee Coloring

Kanedas Bike

Here's how my Ozma 29 has turned out so far. I plan on stripping the purple off the fold crystals and the canopy and redoing them with a GaiaNotes clear purple which looks to be a much better match. However, since I have never worked with lacquers through an airbrush, I don't have any lacquer thinner so I have to wait until I get some to do that. Still, it's a decent placeholder until then to get an idea of how replacing the blue with purple looks if anyone is considering doing the same.

Thanks to MickyG for informing me about the green sensor array having a frame. I painted that using a sticky foil as a mask which was a pain in the butt to do, painted the leading edge of the wings a lighter gray like how they should be, and darkened the gunpod to a shade that worked better with the overall color of the valk.

Working on the super parts now. Will do a full shoot of the base valkyrie first once I redo the canopy and crystals.

YF-29_Ozma_Fighter_01.jpg

YF-29_Ozma_Fighter_02.jpg

Looks very, VERY nice, MJ! Frames on sensor array and all. ;)

By the way, what are you using for top coat on that particular one? The sheen looks perfect and is slightly glossier than how your other Valks look. For the scale, I think dead flat can look too flat. This is just spot-on!

Edited by mickyg

Here's how my Ozma 29 has turned out so far. I plan on stripping the purple off the fold crystals and the canopy and redoing them with a GaiaNotes clear purple which looks to be a much better match. However, since I have never worked with lacquers through an airbrush, I don't have any lacquer thinner so I have to wait until I get some to do that. Still, it's a decent placeholder until then to get an idea of how replacing the blue with purple looks if anyone is considering doing the same.

Thanks to MickyG for informing me about the green sensor array having a frame. I painted that using a sticky foil as a mask which was a pain in the butt to do, painted the leading edge of the wings a lighter gray like how they should be, and darkened the gunpod to a shade that worked better with the overall color of the valk.

Working on the super parts now. Will do a full shoot of the base valkyrie first once I redo the canopy and crystals.

Amazing.

I really love how much the panel lines and details really POP now. It's a great look for the Valk and the shades of grey.

-b.

Thank you all!

Wow... that looks amazing! :hail:

Oh... wait.

I think you can do better, you should finish it and then send it to me. I'll send you a new one, so you can make that one better. ;):D

If I did, I would have to keep the green sensor array piece because I never ever want to redo that again... ever! :p

Looks very, VERY nice, MJ! Frames on sensor array and all. ;)

By the way, what are you using for top coat on that particular one? The sheen looks perfect and is slightly glossier than how your other Valks look. For the scale, I think dead flat can look too flat. This is just spot-on!

I used a mix of 6 drops of Vallejo matte varnish, 15 drops of Future, and 12 drops of acrylic thinner to achieve a satin finish. I also left the gunmetal parts and metallic painted parts like the wing nacelles full gloss, just to give more contrast and because I felt like it. :p

Got my 29 Ozma. Busy being in love, no time to talk.

Best 29 EVER!

It is a thing of beauty. If it only had a less saturated canopy, correct gray tone on the LERX areas behind the canards (easy to correct, I know, but I shouldn't have to do it), and the same surface finish as the YF-30, it would be perfect.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Copied over from the VF-19 thread.

hehe! worked perfect! Thanks again! B))

attachicon.gif20150203_191110.jpg

No problem. :D

Nope, only his 25 does. It was a big mistake matching the gunpod to the other 29's IMO.

I agree, I wish Bandai had made the gunpod in a darker color.

I agree. The gunpod not being gunmetal is one of my few complaints.

Love how menacing the green eyes look on the Ozma. Saburo's pics show them off really well :)

I was very pleased with how the eyes photographed. Paint used for the eyes reflects the light very nicely.

there is a good thread to discuss about Ozma 29.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=40563&page=51

Moved over. :D

:(

Thought there was some new news on the VF-19, oh well.

It does however bear repeating "great pics Saburo"!

-b.

Sorry, for the false alarm. I moved over to the YF-29 Ozma thread.

Thank you Kanedas Bike. :D

Copied over from the VF-19 thread.

No problem. :D

I agree, I wish Bandai had made the gunpod in a darker color.

I was very pleased with how the eyes photographed. Paint used for the eyes reflects the light very nicely.

Moved over. :D

Sorry, for the false alarm. I moved over to the YF-29 Ozma thread.

Thank you Kanedas Bike. :D

Very welcome - your pics make me want the toys I don't already have and like the ones I do that much better. :lol:

-b.