Bandai DX YF-29 Ozma Lee Coloring

Kanedas Bike

OK, *here* is what my fold crystals really look like---took some finagling to try to get the camera to catch it.

IMG_5119T_zps534eb1ce.jpg

(also shows how well Bandai did painting Ozma--you can't see him at all with the factory canopy color)

I was thinking about having a set powder coated by a buddy of mine who does powder coating.

it might require you removing the gear to get them done, but if successful I could get a quote for a group deal.

I need a spare set of gear though lol.

I found the front fuselage impossible to get fully apart--I wanted to remove the windscreen to try to recolor it, but just couldn't get the area apart. I think you have to remove the main pin through the LERXes---and that is one big, tough, critical pin. I wouldn't risk it. You can open up around the canopy hinge enough to get it out, but anywhere forward of that isn't coming apart without a hammer and nail-punch.

And if it's done the same way as the VF-25's (which is likely) the legs are superglued together top/bottom.

OK, *here* is what my fold crystals really look like---took some finagling to try to get the camera to catch it.IMG_5119T_zps534eb1ce.jpg(also shows how well Bandai did painting Ozma--you can't see him at all with the factory canopy color)

Fold crystals look great and I didn't notice till now, nice job on removing the light grey from the LERXes.

Edited by Saburo

I was thinking about having a set powder coated by a buddy of mine who does powder coating.

it might require you removing the gear to get them done, but if successful I could get a quote for a group deal.

I need a spare set of gear though lol.

Haha. I dunno, as it's landing gear it doesn't have to look perfect. A few thin coats of White should be ok, plus if you can still see the factory gunmetal colour you could even add a wash to simulate weathering.

I know white would definitely look better, but aren't the landing gears metallic gray in the Anime? -- I may be remembering wrong, however... --

Hard to tell. I just rewatched the opening and they look like a light gray to me. Maybe the have the same color as the VF-22S Max or the VF-19P.

I found the front fuselage impossible to get fully apart--I wanted to remove the windscreen to try to recolor it, but just couldn't get the area apart. I think you have to remove the main pin through the LERXes---and that is one big, tough, critical pin. I wouldn't risk it. You can open up around the canopy hinge enough to get it out, but anywhere forward of that isn't coming apart without a hammer and nail-punch.

And if it's done the same way as the VF-25's (which is likely) the legs are superglued together top/bottom.

I took apart a YF-29 Alto getting the pin out is no problem. its putting the pin back in, thats a problem. You have to be super careful to not let the pin punch slide and scratch the fuselage. Nothing is glued together so its nothing out of this world, just take out a couple of screws. Just have to take it slow and its fine.

I took apart a YF-29 Alto getting the pin out is no problem. its putting the pin back in, thats a problem. You have to be super careful to not let the pin punch slide and scratch the fuselage. Nothing is glued together so its nothing out of this world, just take out a couple of screws. Just have to take it slow and its fine.

Some WIP photos! wna see one of a customized Valk :D

side note. A YF-29 Alto new showed up on AE for $340. Whoevers wallet can stomach it feel free to do so.

I'm sold on the cyclops look. I know I'm in the minority but I don't like it having the human face and eyes. I think it looks more like a battle mech this way I also like the 25 and 29 without the ankles extended. Poor Ozma though below forgot his intake cover.

post-15093-0-39147100-1405197730_thumb.jpg

Edited by sreichma

I'm sold on the cyclops look. I know I'm in the minority but I don't like it having the human face and eyes. I think it looks more like a battle mech this way I also like the 25 and 29 without the ankles extended. Poor Ozma though below forgot his intake cover.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I like how you have the VF-25S box displayed in the background. :)

I don't know if it's just me, but somehow the Ozma head is kinda look small for the body? Was it because of the laser turrets / antennae? Time to check my Isamu 29 once again if he has a small head too. Been in the fighter mode for awhile now. ^_^

Very carefully removing it with rubbing alcohol. Time+experience+lots of toothpicks and q-tips!

Similar technique was used to lighten the fold crystals--they're more of a sky-blue now, not "sapphire blue". Will try to get an overhead shot in fighter mode to show that off better. I really wanted a "light blue" canopy to match, but due to the curvature/framing, it was really "all or nothing".

The difficulty in getting an even color prevents it. Wet paint always pools in some spots and pulls away from others, and transparent paint REALLY shows the difference in paint-thickness.

Airbrushing very thin layers that dry almost instantly is possible, if you build up a dozen+ coats. But that's beyond me. I can barely airbrush "matte grey on a flat surface". Transparent blue on a curved surface that needs to be crystal-clear glossy isn't going to happen any time soon.

If I had the skills to really re-do it how I want it, I'd replace ALL the clear-blue areas with "slightly purple" like his VF-25S canopy. That's how it looks in the game from the screen-shots I've seen.

That looks nice even without the tinting. But, I say go ahead and do the purple or blue tinting. It's actually not that hard to accomplish. the only pain in the butt is possibly disassembling part of the valk to get canopy parts off (and if going with purple, finding a suitable clear purple if you don't have one already). You'll be much more satisfied with it in the end.

When I painted my Isamu YF-29 canopy, I took the pieces off and stripped off the paint so it was just clear plastic. I repainted the framing first and then sprayed the underside of the canopy for the tinting so that the tinting would be protected from accidental scrapes and such and it makes it easier to remove without having to worry about re-doing the frame if you mess it up.

You don't need paint that dries instantly for the tinting and you only really need a few layers at most. I just mixed clear blue acrylic with some future to dilute it and lightly dusted the inside with a few layers using my airbrush (which had a hazy look at first) before finally spraying a thicker coating to get it crystal clear. Alternatively, you could spray coat the inside with clear future first to ensure that there is no bare plastic that might cause the colored paint to pool up or recede.

It took me a few tries only because while it looked really light when I had the canopy out in the open, the tinting looked heavier when it was reattached and closed, so I stripped it off and redid the tinting even lighter. But at least it was really easy to do so.

I plan on doing the same with the Ozma when I can find the time, but I haven't had much time so far this year.

• 2 weeks later...