Arcadia 1/60 Perfect Transformation VF-0D for 2015

Dark_Ghost

I would think it is not that hard to get the color down.

It is, because it's a desaturated blue, technically a tone. A huge chunk of humanity only "operates" with 2 dimensions of color (hue/chroma, and value/brightness). Heck, just watch kids with poster paint---they'll only ever mix that way. But to get the VF-0D's color, you have to deal with intensity/saturation. And that is just alien to a lot of people----they'll get brightness/lightness/saturation all confused, and find it impossible to describe what they mean.

And with how often *saturation* is the thing that's wrong with the color of plastic toys/models etc, I really think it's just something that is either very misunderstood among "plastic dye pellet guys", or it actually is very hard to control. (I doubt the latter, as Bandai seems quite capable of being very consistent and very subtle in their color variations, so I expect all companies to be able to do so)

It is, because it's a desaturated blue, technically a tone. A huge chunk of humanity only "operates" with 2 dimensions of color (hue/chroma, and value/brightness). Heck, just watch kids with poster paint---they'll only ever mix that way. But to get the VF-0D's color, you have to deal with intensity/saturation. And that is just alien to a lot of people----they'll get brightness/lightness/saturation all confused, and find it impossible to describe what they mean.

And with how often *saturation* is the thing that's wrong with the color of plastic toys/models etc, I really think it's just something that is either very misunderstood among "plastic dye pellet guys", or it actually is very hard to control. (I doubt the latter, as Bandai seems quite capable of being very consistent and very subtle in their color variations, so I expect all companies to be able to do so)

Don't they also own their own factories where knowledge like that could be a mandatory requirement for workers as opposed to renting factory space and having to deal with whoever works there like Arcadia has to?

Bandai seems quite capable of being very consistent and very subtle in their colour variations? Really?

Sorry, I meant their KITS, not their toys.

Don't they also own their own factories where knowledge like that could be a mandatory requirement for workers as opposed to renting factory space and having to deal with whoever works there like Arcadia has to?

And that ties in very well with that---does the Bandai *kit* factory employ the world's only truly skilled plastic-dye-colorists? And all the world's toy factories have basically a 16-pack of crayons for a pallette?

Sorry, I meant their KITS, not their toys.

And that ties in very well with that---does the Bandai *kit* factory employ the world's only truly skilled plastic-dye-colorists? And all the world's toy factories have basically a 16-pack of crayons for a pallette?

I don't know. Was just curious. I'm not defending the wrong color, I'm disappointed it's changed from the correct color to something off. I don't know much about how factories work so I thought I'd ask about that.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Bandai seems quite capable of being very consistent and very subtle in their colour variations

yeah, i was talking about this with EXO the other day.

Bandai has really nice shade of blue for Max. they got the colors down.

th063.jpg

not really a fan of yamato/acadia blue for the 1/48 max, the 1/60 max was a bit better.

that's one thing i look forward to in the hi metal line is the color shades are better for max.

i was hoping the blue would turn out right for the 0d but looks off so far. the latest 0D shade is the failed cavs color which yamato redid at the last minute bc it didn't look right.

yeah, i was talking about this with EXO the other day.

Bandai has really nice shade of blue for Max. they got the colors down.

th063.jpg

not really a fan of yamato/acadia blue for the 1/48 max, the 1/60 max was a bit better.

that's one thing i look forward to in the hi metal line is the color shades are better for max.

i was hoping the blue would turn out right for the 0d but looks off so far. the latest 0D shade is the failed cavs color which yamato redid at the last minute bc it didn't look right.

this is a really great shot!! B))

• 3 weeks later...

Seems quiet around here, so was wondering if there is any updates? Thread's been buried due to lack of updates.

Edited : nvmind. Saw the release date is end of Feb

it will be a long hiatus until post keeps flooding again. (the usual praise, curse, and other mwf stuffs we always hear)

The problem is the price as it will cost me close to A$400. I am still sitting on the fence on whether to keep my order.

With HLJ stopping orders a few times, it makes you think that production could be limited. If I recall correctly, I think the YF-19 stayed open through the whole preoder period, and as a result was still available for quite a while after release.

It is with a heavy heart that I have decided not to fill my AmiAmi order on this one. If anyone in Australia wants a 0D, I'm happy to let them take my PO. PM me.

In the end the cost was just to high t justify., I never play with my Zero stuff, its all the more modern things.. If I was going to get one Zero it would be the 0S again, as i like that plane the best from the series. As gorgeous as the 0D is, I just cant do it. For the same price I can afford 14 Marvel Legends, or 10 Figuarts, or about the same in Figmas.... it's just not for me sadly.

Cant wait to see all of yours though! :)

I guess it depends on if you consider the VF-0S and VF-0A repaints of the 0D. I doubt we'll see a repaint of the 0D but if we don't see a 0A or 0S that probably means Arcadia is exiting the Macross line of business. I'm hoping we'll hear soon of a Shin Kudo custom for December or something. -

What else are they going to release if not Zero stuff?

VF-1 Super and Strike parts, and a reissued VF-4 wouldn't go wrong. If you're asking about new stuff, well, they could do a re-jigged YF-21 or VF-22.

Edited by Sildani

I am still waiting for a true final production promotional photo spread of this. I hope it does not release without Arcadia giving us final pics..

We never saw pics of a production Yamato 1/60 YF-19, only a not-totally-transformed painted resin proto. The real thing has a few small differences. But the color's pretty close at least.

I'm on line for renewal VF-0S, assuming that the improvements of the VF-0D did away with all of the issues of Yamato's previous Zero releases. I invested in the first issue of the 0S and have had to put up with the floppiness, sinking ankles and disintegrating shoulders. Also, IF Arcadia does a renewal 0S, I hope it will be compatible with Yamato's Ghost.

But seeing as Arcadia seems to be bundling stuff with their latest releases (i.e. the Fire Valk with Sound Booster, and the VF-1J with GBP Armor), it seems more likely that Arcadia would release the 0S or 0A with the Ghost and price it accordingly. :mellow:

Guest davidwhangchoi

arcadia is not exiting macross anytime soon. where is any evidence or sign they are leaving macross? besides one person's imagination, (which is kept repeating with no end) there is no evidence whatsoever. that conjecture belongs in the arcadia speculation thread.

arcadia is simply doing what they said they would so which is new one mold per year. and few old releases in between, how hard is that to comprehend?

Don't be so sensitive. The comment was benign and topical and Arcadia was born from the demise of another company so it's not like the fears/discussion are unfounded. It seems a safe thing to say that a pure 0D repaint is unlikely due to how limited the VF-1 repaints are and it also seems safe to say that if they can't figure out a way to milk the work they've done on the 0D at least a little bit then any Macross license won't be very profitable for them.

Here's to hoping that their next release would be hinted near the winter wonderfest. This guy was hinted on the 20th of January last year, hopefully Mr K will surprise us soon.

Staying on the topic of the 0D, I wonder when we will see the FINAL version (colours and all) of the 0D. Since it is already a little more than a month prior to D-Day.