Arcadia 1/60 Perfect Transformation VF-0D for 2015

Dark_Ghost

On 7/17/2020 at 2:18 AM, Chronocidal said:

One caveat I realized I didn't mention, I'm talking about things locking together with the fast packs on.  Those just don't fit well, and turn the DX into a display model, for the most part.

I have pushed on the leg packs and arms until I am blue in the face.  They do not go all the way on, and no, there are no snaps involved.  The fact that there is a gap involved means they either flubbed the design and put the snap in the wrong place, or there isn't a snap at all.  Based on my experience, they're held on by nothing but friction.  I can dislodge anything very easily if I put any pressure on it.  Hope you don't like half-gerwalk, because pulling down the legs removes the majority of support for the arms on their tabs.

I'm still probably being overly harsh on them.  They do still hold together, at least mostly as well as the old Yamato 1/48ths.  They just don't snap together even remotely as well as the 1/60 Yamatos.  Maybe Bandai didn't want to plagiarize, but this is one case they literally should have, because they developed an inferior design.

What bothers me about it though is that it reminds me of the way Bandai made the v.1 VF-25s.  Nothing about those locked together solidly, and when it came to the fast packs, the design actually depended on the attachments being sloppy as hell.  The super packs only fit on the legs because the legs would slop around so much that dropping the knee joint wasn't necessary.

The vertical pegs "holding up" the legs and arms are the same sort of "good enough" solution.  Nothing locks together, you just have to push and shove stuff until it sticks, and pray gravity doesn't pull things out of alignment.  I've never even gotten the legs and arms fully seated on those pegs, which screams two very disappointing words to me: sloppy design.  The fact that I can't get the legs and arms to actually fit onto the pegs meant to hold them means that the molding and design were not precise enough to do so.

The fact that they're straight vertical pegs fighting against gravity is just stupid design.

I don't have my DX VF-1 in my hands yet and now I'm already dreading finding it to be a mess when I finally get it...

31 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I don't have my DX VF-1 in my hands yet and now I'm already dreading finding it to be a mess when I finally get it...

I don't have the same issues with the eight I have on display.  I would say the DX's aren't any better/worse than the Yamato's. Just different. Then you have the production and age tolerances across them all. In short, the DX has never struck me as being "less". Could they be better? For sure. Are they bad? Nope.

On 7/22/2020 at 1:59 AM, davidwhangchoi said:

Spanner, i'm glad you're building up your valk collection again.

did you stop the automotive collecting or still getting new cars?

Hey David, yeah it's a good to be back in it but going to limit the collection much more strictly this time. The DX 1/48 are must haves and out of that scale unless it's something very special or unique in another scale like the premium finish Zero-D.

Speaking of which it still hasn't been delivered but it is finally in Sydney and scheduled for delivery tomorrow. The wait has been quite frustrating due the delays with UPS but I am really looking forward to seeing this thing!

I did sell off quite a few of the cars and kept the ones I really liked. I still am getting more cars here and there but only if they are good ones or bargains I can re sell.

Got a nice surprise when I got back from work to see this waiting by the front door and a day earlier than the tracking said it would be!

Initial impressions are good and I do really like the finish! The colour is much better than the first release and looks much more military now than display team of the first issue.

No visible faults or broken bits. Happy days! :D

20200727_160311.jpg

18 minutes ago, spanner said:

Got a nice surprise when I got back from work to see this waiting by the front door and a day earlier than the tracking said it would be!

Initial impressions are good and I do really like the finish! The colour is much better than the first release and looks much more military now than display team of the first issue.

No visible faults or broken bits. Happy days! :D

20200727_160311.jpg

Congrats Spanner! Going to look good in your display case! 

I still remember your valks spanner! Esp your 3 kairos'es in a single display, which i called the shark tank. :D

The 0D with its military-ish looks and those tail fins, 3 of em in 1 display would certainly look menacing! Or add a kairos in.

Just sayin. ;) haha.

14 hours ago, spanner said:

Hey David, yeah it's a good to be back in it but going to limit the collection much more strictly this time. The DX 1/48 are must haves and out of that scale unless it's something very special or unique in another scale like the premium finish Zero-D.

Speaking of which it still hasn't been delivered but it is finally in Sydney and scheduled for delivery tomorrow. The wait has been quite frustrating due the delays with UPS but I am really looking forward to seeing this thing!

I did sell off quite a few of the cars and kept the ones I really liked. I still am getting more cars here and there but only if they are good ones or bargains I can re sell.

good to see you're still collecting a bit of both Macross and cars

5 hours ago, spanner said:

Looks fantastic on display! :wub: And to think at one point I had over a 140 more of these things than I have now! :fool:

how times have changed.. -_-

20200727_172112.jpg

that 0D sure is pretty. 

Ferry, O Ferry, Where art thou?:search:

1 hour ago, davidwhangchoi said:

good to see you're still collecting a bit of both Macross and cars

that 0D sure is pretty. 

Ferry, O Ferry, Where art thou?:search:

Where are you located, and when did your order leave port? I have a VF-0D coming from NY on a ferry and it left port on July 3. Boat still hasn't reached CA.

Edited by funkymonkeyjavajunky

8 hours ago, spanner said:

Looks fantastic on display! :wub: And to think at one point I had over a 140 more of these things than I have now! :fool:

how times have changed.. -_-

20200727_172112.jpg

Nice! Is there something attached between your 0D and the Flightpose stand? It looks like there is something there above the nub of the front stand arm. 

2 hours ago, funkymonkeyjavajunky said:

Where are you located, and when did your order leave port? I have a VF-0D coming from NY on a ferry and it left port on July 3. Boat still hasn't reached CA.

I'm by NYC and last update it dispatch from outward office of exchange 7/10 but hasn't left the port yet.  i'll prob expect it late Sept/early Oct. 

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Nice! Is there something attached between your 0D and the Flightpose stand? It looks like there is something there above the nub of the front stand arm. 

I think that's the canard (if that's the right word).

11 hours ago, seti88 said:

I still remember your valks spanner! Esp your 3 kairos'es in a single display, which i called the shark tank. :D

The 0D with its military-ish looks and those tail fins, 3 of em in 1 display would certainly look menacing! Or add a kairos in.

Just sayin. ;) haha.

I'd love to have three of these babies on display but I couldn't justify the costs of two more.. well actually I could justify the cost but I don't have the funds to buy two more sadly..

3 hours ago, Slave IV said:

No the Valkyrie is just sitting on top of the nub. I might just be the camera angle making it look strange..

39 minutes ago, spanner said:

Is it really?  :oI hadn't noticed.. so much for my look over! Hehe! ^_^ 

LoL! It looks a-okay to me. I think @Lolicon is pulling your leg. Here's a link to a photo of his 0D for comparison:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/40552-arcadia-160-perfect-transformation-vf-0d-for-2015/?do=findComment&comment=1532034

4 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

I'm by NYC and last update it dispatch from outward office of exchange 7/10 but hasn't left the port yet.  i'll prob expect it late Sept/early Oct. 

Same here

So I was looking at my 0D (non-PF) today which has been sitting in fighter mode since I got it, thinking about how I was going to go about weathering it. I transformed it to battroid mode and discovered that there is just no friction in the hip joints at all... 

If there was a breeze blowing while being held up, you'd see those legs swinging.

Tried to see if I could get at the ball joint housing so I unscrewed the screw in the hip/intake and then found and popped out a screw cover in the thigh and unscrewed the screw there too. Seems like I could only pry open the front half of the thigh piece, but the back half won't budge at all.  Is there another screw or something hidden somewhere that I missed or did they just stupidly glue it shut?

7 hours ago, Dobber said:

Same here

We're in the same boat:lol:

13 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

So I was looking at my 0D (non-PF) today which has been sitting in fighter mode since I got it, thinking about how I was going to go about weathering it. I transformed it to battroid mode and discovered that there is just no friction in the hip joints at all... 

If there was a breeze blowing while being held up, you'd see those legs swinging.

Tried to see if I could get at the ball joint housing so I unscrewed the screw in the hip/intake and then found and popped out a screw cover in the thigh and unscrewed the screw there too. Seems like I could only pry open the front half of the thigh piece, but the back half won't budge at all.  Is there another screw or something hidden somewhere that I missed or did they just stupidly glue it shut?

it's glued. i used a thin plastic guitar pick to open it.

43 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

We're in the same boat:lol:

it's glued. i used a thin plastic guitar pick to open it.

Thanks. I was able to get it apart using a No. 23 X-acto blade. Managed to do so without damaging the exterior, but snapped one tiny peg on the back of the inner thigh piece. The other thigh piece, I was able to pry open fully intact.

6 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Thanks. I was able to get it apart using a No. 23 X-acto blade. Managed to do so without damaging the exterior, but snapped one tiny peg on the back of the inner thigh piece. The other thigh piece, I was able to pry open fully intact.

nice! you got it open without scarring the paint.  Mine was on a VF-0A, and had to do a leg repair

it looked like this: 

Many were miss assembled at factory with excess glue that prevented them from fulling closing and the leg would pop out or would be loose. (affected several 1st VF-OD and 1st run of  VF-OA's)  

Arcadia reprinted (or corrected the old stock) and released/restocked more VF-0A's (after the VF-0S was released) those seem to have resolved the loose/popping out ball joint issue.

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG