Arcadia 1/60 Perfect Transformation VF-0D for 2015

Dark_Ghost

I kinda getting the vibe that more and more ppl are falling out of love with the Zero-D..? -_-

Im aware of its vices but to me its still a wonderful toy! ^_^

I know I'm not; the quality and detail from Arcadia is pretty dang good!

Not really falling out of love, but it isn't really amazing enough to convince me to re-buy the other VF-0s. The improvements in the quality of the construction are nice, but not enough to replace the ones I have.

I'm thrilled to finally have a VF-0D to match the other 1/60ths, and the quality of the construction is definitely on another level, but some of the features don't even seem to work as well as the originals.

Edit: Maybe I was wrong about falling out of love... first transformation left me pretty disappointed in some of the changes from the first version.

I'll save you my first impression ranting though.

First and foremost, whoever is responsible for the way Arcadia is making ball joints now should be fired. Now. While I didn't suffer the issue of the leg flying off, once I got the hips extended correctly, they turned into the most absolutely useless pieces of limp crap I've seen this side of a v.1 VF-25. They will not support anything. And just like the VF-19 ankles, they have an entirely inconsistent amount of tension. This absolutely pants-on-head imbicilic balljoint design that uses a half and half ball needs to die a horrible painful death, and never be spoken of again.

Aside from that though... nothing on this one transforms as easily as the original. The tolerances are so tight now that nothing is easy to move.

The little panels surrounding the head popped off repeatedly because they didn't want to slip past the wall holding them in place.

The obsessive use of glue and screw covers means that even if something ever does break, you're never going to be able to repair it. In fact, the first thing I did upon dropping the hip bar was to loosen the shoulder pivot screws so they dont scratch the white paint, and pry out the screw covers that they glued over the wing pivots.

The neck screw had to be loosened after the head popped off several times while I tried to rotate the neck, and while nice for posing, that double neck joint makes it a pain in the ass to reattach the head, because the ball keeps retracting into the neck.

I don't know. It's really pretty, and I'm thrilled it got made at all. But I do not like the engineering direction they have taken since the v.2 VF-1. If the higher precision design, and fancier features that this has are responsible for the higher prices, i wish they would go back to the less sophisticated style they had on the VF-1. It was just a functional, and a lot more fun.

As it is, I'm glad I like fighter mode so much, because this thing will never stand up with those garbage hip joints. <_<

Edit 2: On a second try at transformation to battroid, things were a little smoother, but I guess I'm really just not impressed with the "improvements" over the first version. The higher precision seems like it directly works contrary to making things fun to transform. I know others have expressed similar feelings about the VF-19 series, and I can see why.

My list of quibbles is all for pretty minor things, but the hip joints really are a problem. The left leg pretty much swings freely, and the only thing that will stop it from doing so while standing is to brace it against the backplate and wings.

On the lighter side of things though, the new arm design really is a huge improvement. The double elbow joints are getting better all the time.

Edited by Chronocidal

I never had the first releases of VF-0's so I can't tell the difference. But I would love to know is the transformation went smooth on the old ones compared to VF-0D? And also same question applies on Arcadia's release of VF-1's and Yamato's VF-1's. Were the Arcadia releases of VF-1's are tight as what they are releasing it now like the VF-0D?

Thanks in advance. ;)

The Arcadia and Yamato VF-1s are essentially identical, I don't think they needed to change anything about the molds for them. The Arcadia releases don't seem any tighter to me than some of the tighter Yamato releases either.

The VF-0s though, the new Arcadias are an entirely new mold (though certain pieces were probably molded off of the same base CAD model). The transformation for both versions are not really complicated, and generally go smoothly, but the tighter tolerances on the VF-0D make it more tricky in a few areas.

Specifically, I had a bit of trouble getting the arms out. Tighter tolerances means less wiggle room, and tighter joints means they were harder to get to rotate to allow them to slide out from between the intakes. The VF-0D also has the added complication of all that paint that can scratch off the arms during this process. Once I finally got them out, I loosened the screws holding the shoulder hinges to the backplate, and they did get easier to move.

The head area going to battroid also had a couple issues. The little cover panels around the head fit so tightly in their spot, they tended to pop off their hinges rather than rotate out. The fancy ball jointed neck pivot also gave me some trouble, because the head tended to pop off instead of rotate, until I loosened up the screw under the neck plate. The double jointed arm holding the head is really flexible, but tricky to position correctly if the head comes loose.

The last sticking point for me (hah) is that while the early VF-0s had almost no locking mechanism to keep the ankles from extending or collapsing into the leg, this new mold makes it very difficult to pull the ankles down or push them in. They take so much force that I find myself removing things like the tails and canards so I dont slip and either break them off, or stab myself on them while pulling.

Things generally work the same otherwise.

Edited by Chronocidal

It sounds like the tightness isn't the same for all of us. I had no troubles pulling the feet out on my 0D. Definitely the first time I tried to remove the legs from the backpack section going from Fighter to Gerwalk was a harrowing experience but after that I haven't had any tightness issues.

I still love my 0D and I'm in for the A and S as well.

The first time transforming it was definitely difficult because of the tightness. This is my first VF-0 mold and even though it is similar to the VF-1 I still had to get familiar with its nuances. After the first few transformations, it has become easier and more fluid. But yeah, the winglets and sharp points make it hard to handle the toy during transformation. That's why I tend to just remove them or just leave it on Gerwalk mode, which is definitely my favorite mode to display it.

It sounds like the tightness isn't the same for all of us. I had no troubles pulling the feet out on my 0D. Definitely the first time I tried to remove the legs from the backpack section going from Fighter to Gerwalk was a harrowing experience but after that I haven't had any tightness issues.

I still love my 0D and I'm in for the A and S as well.

Same here, initially I wasn't going to get the 0A but the latests pictures just pushed me into POing it. But the VF-0S/GBP is what I'm really expecting from Arcadia now.

Also it's cool to see some Kicker display madness again :D

Mine finally shipped from HLJ last week. Mine also doesn't seem too bad to manipulate. It's a little tight, but really wasn't that bad in my opinion. I'll post a picture of the VF-0A/S/D together when I get a chance :).

• 2 weeks later...

So I received my VF-0D from HLJ today and the first thing I noticed when I took it out of the box was a loose part. The thruster detailing inside the legs fell off. It was glued in incorrectly and easily fell off. After I cleaned the whole area of excess glue I was able to put it correctly in place.

The bummer on my version is that It also has the misplaced intake markings. Is this the same on all items or only on some? Did you returned your VF-0D in exchange for a new one?

So I received my VF-0D from HLJ today and the first thing I noticed when I took it out of the box was a loose part. The thruster detailing inside the legs fell off. It was glued in incorrectly and easily fell off. After I cleaned the whole area of excess glue I was able to put it correctly in place.

The bummer on my version is that It also has the misplaced intake markings. Is this the same on all items or only on some? Did you returned your VF-0D in exchange for a new one?

Seems to be only on some, my markings are aligned.

As are mine. The only issue I have had so far is the blue paint on the thighs. It scratched off very easily on the first transformation. I have kept an eye on it and am now extra cautious when rotating the arms around.

Hi, I made a comparison shot off the issue on my toy:

post-18307-0-79423900-1432333736_thumb.png

Looks more than 1 mm off to me. The angle of the two images is not the same but it should show that they are off by quite a bit.

Edited by Scyla

Yeah. I thought there was another comparison photo too, but I can't find it now.

My copy has a similar issue where the intake marking on the right leg is printed higher than the marking on the left leg. Looking at photos where people have "good" markings on both sides, it looks like the right leg should match the left leg and be set a little lower. I guess it wouldn't hurt sending HLJ a message to see if they will help you out? But I also wonder if this was an issue with the stock that HLJ received? Did anyone get a VF-0D from HLJ with "good" intake markings?

Great! Another thing to feel ripped off about... argh. I've got the same problem. Well at least they included the intake markings this time around (unlike the YF-19)

Guest davidwhangchoi

i don't feel ripped off yet... i have yet to open my two. but prob will feel the same

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I know at least one of mine from HLJ has them misaligned, but I'm not all that worried about it. It's going to look really stupid if they don't fix it on the 0A though, because if they don't line up that marking, it might get printed right over the big empty slot in the intake. :p

Edited by Chronocidal

My copy, purchased from HLJ, also sports the misaligned intake markings. It's not a deal breaker, but it is a bit annoying because once you notice it you can't not notice it every time you pick up the toy, and it is inexcusable on a ~ $300.00 collectible. However, to me, the too dark blue is a far more egregious "error" than that bit of print... you can remedy the latter (remove it and apply decals or stickers), but you're stuck with Arcadia's choice of plastic and paint colors.

The part isn't defective so HLJ likely wont replace it. Besides, most places no longer have the 0D in stock anymore. I never checked my third 0D also from HLJ so it would be premature to assume all the copies they sold had the misaligned marking.

LOL!

My idea was if Arcadia produced an defective patch and shipped it to HLJ. Laster they fixed the issue. If this is true maybe HLJ prefers to work out a fix with Arcadia. They can reach out to the manufacturer far better than their customers can. HLJ has happy customers, Arcadia has a reputation of going the extra mile for their customers and we, the customers are also happy. It is a win win win situation.

Maybe I'm crazy but that was the idea behind my suggestion. <_<

My 0D, which I got from HLJ, has the misaligned intake markings as well. That being said, I'm not bothered by it for a couple reasons. First, my 0D is otherwise fine. No missing, loose, or damaged parts. Secondly, the misalignment is pretty subtle and I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out on these boards. The markings aren't misaligned with respect to the intake edges, they're misaligned with respect to each other. Since they're on opposite sides of the aircraft, you'll never be able to see both of them at the same time.

I just checked my 0D as well and I have the same issue. I got mine from NY, so it's not just the ones from HLJ. Honestly, I'm not bothered by it. Of all the things that could have gone wrong during assembly, a slightly misaligned tampo printing -- something that doesn't even affect the durability, structure, or handling of the toy -- is really the least of my concerns. If it were something that's actually visible when you look at it, maybe. But you can't even tell unless you had a mirror or took a picture of the other side you're looking at.

I get what people are saying about it being a $300 toy so it should be perfect. But let's have some perspective on this. It's not like each toy was individually handcrafted by a master artisan with their full attention focused on a single toy. It was put together on an assembly line by an army of low wage, low skilled workers, most of them doing the same boring task over and over for hours and hours. If any of you have ever had to do tedious, repetitive work, you know how easy it is for you to stop caring at some point and just go on autopilot.

The factory knows it's making toys, not auto parts or something else where human safety is at risk, and if something goes wrong they will have lawsuits and recalls to deal with. Considering all this, I think the quality of the end product is really rather high. Could it be be higher? I suppose... but at that point, what you're really demanding is for the toys to be custom made.