Arcadia 1/60 Perfect Transformation VF-0D for 2015

Dark_Ghost

I'd imagine it takes less time than you think with the high and supersonic speed causing heat and friction on the paint and pulling various fluids out of every seam and flap and dragging it along the paint job.

I guess OT allowed the earth to develop jets that transform to robots but did nothing for the science and chemistry of paint! :p

Got my HLJ notification. $270 for this Valk is a great price IMO.

I remember the old VF-0's going for more than that before and during the great Yammie collapse of 2013.

Hell, I sold my Roy VF-0 for $350 when I heard this was coming out.

Considering people pay $250 for the QA mess that is the Bandi Valk... I don't get why people are saying it's so expensive for what's on offer and the diecast. Obviously, the weak yen is helping that price but that's the bottom line at the moment. It's not going to get any cheaper.

I know the color is probably an excuse for some, but it is a mask market toy and not a model, so it can't be 100% accurate if it's to be made at all.

Edited by Gakken85

I remember the old VF-0's going for more than that before and during the great Yammie collapse of 2013.

Considering people pay $250 for the QA mess that is the Bandi Valk... I don't get why people are saying it's so expensive for what's on offer and the diecast. Obviously, the weak yen is helping that price but that's the bottom line at the moment. It's not going to get any cheaper.

I know the color is probably an excuse for some, but it is a mask market toy and not a model, so it can't be 100% accurate if it's to be made at all.

there is no excuse for the color....you can't blame that on "mass market". you also can[t even call this "mass market"...its a niche collectors piece not a $20 voyager class (or evem $80 MP release) TF. it was simply a decision some of us didn't agree with. Bandai valks are like $150 on preorder for a plain jane valk. also you talk as if arcadia won't be a QC mess....fact is we don't know yet for this release and their prior releases QC wise seem to be a little step down from the latter yamato days.

u also can't compare retail prices to aftermarket "desperation" prices of 2013. ridiculous comparison.

either way, this valk is on the pricey side like all arcadia offerings so far. i woudln't call it oto much but i woudlnt' call it a great rpice either. if teh dollar and yen were what they were 2-3 years ago we'd be screaming at this nearly $400 valk.

That's a bit harsh considering the YF-19 ankles, VF-1S bits falling off etc etc. Granted the 171CF was a bit of a problem, but none of the other Bandai Valks have had too many issues, certainly not consistent issues. The main problem most seem to have with any Bandai valk is that they usually don't make enough of them!

Getting something as fundamental as the basic colour wrong on a hero Valk is pretty shocking in this day and age, and at this price point it is for many like me a deal breaker.

I really wanted to buy this but with so many new releases coming, something had to give.

EMS was surprisingly cheap from HLJ.

Yeah, but they make it up by charging more for the valk.

This valk still seem to cost between US$300-US$310 (including shipping) between Ami and HLJ to us non-japan folks.

Also, remember that paypal's always 2.5% off the daily exchange-rate. Not sure about the fees from your regular CC's, tho.

Just paid Amiami. ¥4,000 for EMS. Damn

Got my invoice as well. It was emailed to me 2 hours after my first no words on AmiAmi post. Hehehe. :lol: So excited now.

Apparently the uploading works now. Enjoy!

Just showing how the wings come off the main body. The joints are super sturdy and click into place. Not as worried handling this as I was with yamatos releases. The plastic is of a higher quality. Well it seems like that to me.

As always, thanks for posting the first round of photos, Shukenzero. Is it ok if I ask questions regarding the figure? Since you mentioned the tights on the wing joints are super sturdy, any chance that it might loose over time? And was it racheted joints or regular joints with a locking tab to lock it in place? And how was the blue? Was it the last blue posted by Mr.K? Any chance also that you have a Guld YF-21 to compare with? If you do, is it ok to request a pic beside it? ^_^ And lastly, did they include a warning notice regarding the paint scratches in the manual, etc? Again, thanks Shukenzero. ;)

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

The blue really is dark, even compared to the pics on the back of the box. I'm still fine with it!

Yeah, actually even if I really love Guld's Yamato YF-21 blue color, Arcadia should have made this one accurate, if not, a little bit closer with the OAV version. But come to think of it, the Guld's blue also is not actually the OAV blue. Oh well... -_-

I have to admit...the color they decided to use is disappointing....

It almost seems like Arcadia is intentionally not getting the colors right. I can't recall this ever being one of the complaints on Yamato releases.

So far every release from Arcadia has involved some color tampering....

30 Anniversario....rainbow valk...'nuff said

DYRL Roy and Hikaru VF-1S....bright white/pink hue

VF-19 w/sound booster....golden kai

VF-0D.....clearly the wrong color

Upcoming GBP-1J......no grey visor....why?

How will they screw up the VF-0S/A? Bright white again with pinkish hues?

Arcadia is no Yamato I guess... :(

You also forgot to mention their first foray. The YF-19. ;) With the upcoming VF-0S/A, I just hope they will choose more into the neutral side of shade since it's just white/grey/darkgrey scheme. But even so, I'm still looking forward to have a VF-0S. :rolleyes:

I'm siding with Mommar and Charger on this color debate. No solid blue color can be accurate because the OVA never showed the VF-0D in pristine condition. We only saw it used and weathered during carrier operations. That gashapon figure is simulating the weathering effects created in nature using a a particular tone, hue, and shade. I wouldn't be quick to claim that it is an accurate color blue.

I'm not saying that to persuade any of the naysayers, mind you. Most people who have cancelled have probably made up their minds already. I'm just very interested in seeing Arcadia's blue 0D with weathering, because I think it will look damn cool.

I wonder. I really don't know why Arcadia messed up the colors even if they're doing those 'T' versions/variants before going into production and post it online to show it to the fan base/followers? Were they listening to the fan base based on comments? Or just showing off, telling us 'this is the final color we choose even if you guys liked the T1/T2 versions, so get used to it'. Either way, weathered or un-weathered, they should have used somehow a closer blue. Don't get me wrong, I'm still sure I'm going to like this when I get my hands on it. But it really would be nice to have a closer blue from the show. :rolleyes:

Wow! EMS was 4,700Y from NY.

Oh well, another Arcadia release that will require a lot of work when I get it. I still haven't gotten around to my YF-19 yet. I think I'm done with Arcadia after this!

Although I haven't yet tried the salt wash method, I don't believe its shooting a salt solution at the model but using the partially melted salt as a soft mask and spraying over that in multiple passes with different colours, each time cleaning the salt residue off and re-applying. I just might have to try this to lighten the dark blue, its too bad - but this might be the one time I don't want too much tampo to have to mask around :p

Any word if there are any waterslide decals included in this on top of the stickers? (I can only wish...)

You're done with Arcadia wm cheng? Don't say that. There's still the upcoming revisited VF-0S/A figures. ^_^

Guest davidwhangchoi

EMS is always usually cheaper on Hlj. Amiami NY may have a initial cheaper base price by 1000yen but they almost always have higher shipping charges by 1000yen than hlj. evening out the final price.

i always go with hlj for better CS than amiami and NY

This valk still seem to cost between US$300-US$310 (including shipping) between Ami and HLJ to us non-japan folks.

Also, remember that paypal's always 2.5% off the daily exchange-rate. Not sure about the fees from your regular CC's, tho.

shoot! you beat me too it :D​

EMS was surprisingly cheap from HLJ.

How cheap were they, xrentonx, if you don't mind my asking? Thanks. ^_^

Ok. So do they have almost the same price with each other, shipping included? That's good to know. Will take note of that for future reference. Thanks treartment. ;)

EMS is always usually cheaper on Hlj. Amiami NY may have a initial cheaper base price by 1000yen but they almost always have higher shipping charges by 1000yen than hlj. evening out the final price.

i always go with hlj for better CS than amiami and NY

shoot! you beat me too it :D​

And you can cancel it with no hassle I guess. Is that correct, davidwhangchoi? ^_^ Maybe next time, I'll order the upcoming VF-0S thru HLJ. ;)

there is no excuse for the color....you can't blame that on "mass market". you also can[t even call this "mass market"...its a niche collectors piece not a $20 voyager class (or evem $80 MP release) TF. it was simply a decision some of us didn't agree with. Bandai valks are like $150 on preorder for a plain jane valk. also you talk as if arcadia won't be a QC mess....fact is we don't know yet for this release and their prior releases QC wise seem to be a little step down from the latter yamato days.

u also can't compare retail prices to aftermarket "desperation" prices of 2013. ridiculous comparison.

either way, this valk is on the pricey side like all arcadia offerings so far. i woudln't call it oto much but i woudlnt' call it a great rpice either. if teh dollar and yen were what they were 2-3 years ago we'd be screaming at this nearly $400 valk.

You are right, it is a heavy niche. All the more reason to save money as the market of people who will buy it compared to transformers is infinitely smaller. They could spend weeks mixing colors to appease a small vocal minority, or use a color that is fairly accurate (which changes in the anime from frame to frame mind you) and get their product out. People aren't factoring in if they have a blue and need it darker they have to buy more paint and mix it all. $5-10 dollars more per piece could make the price a lot higher. You don't see weathered intricate paint jobs on toys for a reason.

Also, This is basically a new mold.

They are $150 for a few split seconds, but people pay $200+ And the special versions with super parts (The ugly purple bat looking one) are $200+.

You can compare aftermarket prices, as that's the going rate people were and are still willing to pay. Arcadia got to eat.

Nothing ridiculous about opportunity cost.

The Arcadia VF-1's had some lack of paint detail, but they don't have any major QA issues. The YF-19 had some minor problems but nothing compared to the insta loose joints, breaking shoulders, and snapping parts.

I wonder. I really don't know why Arcadia messed up the colors even if they're doing those 'T' versions/variants before going into production and post it online to show it to the fan base/followers? Were they listening to the fan base based on comments? Or just showing off, telling us 'this is the final color we choose even if you guys liked the T1/T2 versions, so get used to it'. Either way, weathered or un-weathered, they should have used somehow a closer blue. Don't get me wrong, I'm still sure I'm going to like this when I get my hands on it. But it really would be nice to have a closer blue from the show. :rolleyes:

Mostly, I think people are still grieving for what we lost when Yamato took its bow and quick exit. And that's okay. Besides, everyone was arguing just as furiously when T1 and T2 made their appearance. Face it, no matter what color Arcadia gave to us, certain people were bound to be unhappy with it.

I'm happy with the design. The aesthetics are secondary on this one. But I'm biased, after all. I chose Nora over Ivanov. ^_^

... I have a thing for odd colors, I guess...

Edited by technoblue

Cheap is relative but 2980 to San Francisco. I was expecting 4400+ though :)

Thanks xrentonx! Looks like they're using correctly the shipping price guide for the item itself and not with the shipping package. Guess, I'll try HLJ next time then. ;)

Mostly, I think people are still grieving for what we lost when Yamato took its bow and quick exit. And that's okay. Besides, everyone was arguing just as furiously when T1 and T2 made their appearance. Face it, no matter what color Arcadia gave to us, certain people were bound to be unhappy with it.

I'm happy with the design. The aesthetics are secondary on this one. But I'm biased, after all. I chose Nora over Ivanov. ^_^

... I have a thing for odd colors, I guess...

Thanks technoblue. I think odd colors stands out more than the usual colors so I think that's fine. :lol:

By the way, I'm just guessing here. If people will cancel their orders after seeing the final colors (if this is color based reasoning for why they cancel, is all), would Arcadia will learn its lessons (losing potential buyers) if they don't listen to their customers? I know it's not a perfect system or perfect way, but in the age of social networking and stuff like that, would Arcadia be more successful to sell numbers of products if they listen to fan's inputs as well even if it's not 100%? Like before they head out on doing those 'T' color variants, how about they show color swatches first and compare it to the OAV? I guess, it will make their life easy, right? Unless Home Depot takes over Japan and use their scan-swatch-mix-paint department to get the correct blue. :rolleyes:

No, they won't learn anything. Otherwise they'd have gotten it right after hearing how wrong "Max blue" was, and how positive the response to the grey-blue pics were. Yet they ended up with almost navy, which matches nothing and was the "none of the above" out-of-nowhere color.

Personally im not minding the release color much at all.. I'll take it as a factory fresh paint job which hasn't yet faded during operational deployment on a carrier..

but im still puzzled as to why Arcadia just wouldn't or couldn't match the color to the anime!?!? As I said im not fussed by the color but it would be nice to find out their reason for this..

That said, outside of Transformers 3P or a few other boutique toy manufacturers, I can't think of any other company that handles a big license that is as active on social media. Bandai's designers ain't going around tweeting test shots and engineering samples as often that's for sure. Fans take care of that part at shows.

They did listen a little better when Graham was more active with Yamato though.

Edited by xrentonx

Personally im not minding the release color much at all.. I'll take it as a factory fresh paint job which hasn't yet faded during operational deployment on a carrier..

but im still puzzled as to why Arcadia just wouldn't or couldn't match the color to the anime!?!? As I said im not fussed by the color but it would be nice to find out their reason for this..

It's gotta be some age-old/traditional japanese business culture.

Most of the japanese companies will never admit they made a mistake with their decisions, despite mountains of evidence and stuff.

It is (still) very rare for it to happen.

It is what it is.

As such, some of them do address/resolve (or try to) the mistake(s) without explicit admittance.

Or we're just ignoring the obvious. All the detail and love that Yamato put into their later release V2's played into their ultimate demise.

It's a constant trade off between quality and a going market price that people will pay.

If you want custom painted pieces that fit your idea of what is good you have to pay somebody to do it.

That said, Arcadia should do small run made to order versions for people who will pay more for a limited unique piece.

It's a market niche they could look into.

Edited by Gakken85

fwiw, there were alot of business reasons why and how Yamato-Toys failed. Chief among them is the global recession of 2008.

I really highly doubt that all the love and improvements of the V2 even played a part in their demise. It's quite irrelevant and a non-factor.

Yamato-Toys had other toy-lines that weren't bringing in the money and were just downright failures. Like that failed Garland and bishoujo lines, etc, etc.

Their Macross-line was the probably the only profitable unit among all it's lines.

Therefore, the most sought-after assets after their bankruptcy.

And from that, we now have Arcadia.

Who charges way too much and colors the 0D very wrongly...

They don't need to tweet test-shots every week etc. They just need to get the color half-ass correct. Yamato never screwed up a color due to incompetence after multiple attempts, the only example of a wrong color was "intentional trolling by Kawamori" of the -0A. And when they need to do anime-accurate coloring later----bam, they got it spot on. No "it turned out darker than we thought" lame twitter excuse.

Heck, Arcadia couldn't even get the YF-19 right, though it's "acceptable".

David. We understand that you're upset about this because it isn't perfect and it is one of your favorite Valkyries. Yours has been one of the louder contrary voices, but maybe now is the time to take a step back and relax or take a break? Arcadia's 0D is done for now. There are other battles to fight, no?