Arcadia 1/60 Perfect Transformation VF-0D for 2015

Dark_Ghost

I have to admit...the color they decided to use is disappointing....

It almost seems like Arcadia is intentionally not getting the colors right. I can't recall this ever being one of the complaints on Yamato releases.

So far every release from Arcadia has involved some color tampering....

30 Anniversario....rainbow valk...'nuff said

DYRL Roy and Hikaru VF-1S....bright white/pink hue

VF-19 w/sound booster....golden kai

VF-0D.....clearly the wrong color

Upcoming GBP-1J......no grey visor....why?

How will they screw up the VF-0S/A? Bright white again with pinkish hues?

Arcadia is no Yamato I guess... :(

I think it's almost impossible to release an anime accurate color of VF-0D, unless it comes with some weathering.

The main problem is not the color but the weathering itself IMO...

We only saw VF-0D's color which was already hardly washed and weathered by mission conditions

856480513a2527932975b53544897l.jpg

I see so many shades of blue in that picture (due to weathering), and I think it's impossible to come up with a single shade of blue that we all can agree on...

vf-0d.jpg

Edited by charger69

I think it's almost impossible to release an anime accurate color of VF-0D, unless it comes with some weathering.

The main problem is not the color but the weathering itself IMO...

We only saw VF-0D's color which was already hardly washed and weathered by mission conditions

Yeah, I think we can just assume that the color we're getting from Arcadia represents a minty new VF-0D fresh off the showroom floor.

I think the salt wash on the darker blue would probably be the best way to approximate that look. Makes sense considering that the VF-0D we see is carrier based.

Yeah, I think we can just assume that the color we're getting from Arcadia represents a minty new VF-0D fresh off the showroom floor.

I think the salt wash on the darker blue would probably be the best way to approximate that look. Makes sense considering that the VF-0D we see is carrier based.

I would say a salt wash plus putting it under direct, bright, sunlight. Despite the protests I already posted many pics from indoors/outdoors night-time, etc... and the damn thing never looks the same even in the same scenes. I think it's still darker than the base color should be but I'd bet a particular kind of weathering is probably what would bring out a more accurate color.

I would say a salt wash plus putting it under direct, bright, sunlight. Despite the protests I already posted many pics from indoors/outdoors night-time, etc... and the damn thing never looks the same even in the same scenes. I think it's still darker than the base color should be but I'd bet a particular kind of weathering is probably what would bring out a more accurate color.

I wonder if you could approximate the weathering by approximating the conditions?

Mask off what you don't want weathered (canopy and tampos etc.) then run a saline solution through an airbrush and shoot it straight down the nose and wings while adjusting the mix and pressure etc. That would approximate salt water vapor traveling down the aircraft at (relative) high speed. Might take a while but then so would weathering under actual circumstances.

It would be kind of like taking a pressure washer to your paint job. You'd have to be careful of course.

Just showing how the wings come off the main body. The joints are super sturdy and click into place. Not as worried handling this as I was with yamatos releases. The plastic is of a higher quality. Well it seems like that to me.

Thanks fot the pics....and what about the ankle joint?

Love the pics, shukenzero!

I'm even more interested in seeing how a salt water wash will affect that blue. I'm now thinking whether or not I ought to get a second copy to try it out myself and recreate the following:

• One off the assembly line 0D
  • One off the carrier 0D
Glad you like em. I am glad that this fighter is even in existence. The colour is a bit darker than I would have liked, but it's just so purty! Gorgeous design, and did I mention I love delta wing aircraft?! This and the VF-19 Advance are two of my most anticipated jets on the PO list. Can't wait to see what other surprises come out this year. That and all the Hot Toys Avengers! Edited by Shukenzero

I think if they can get the color sort of close on a gashapon type figure...they could have done better on a $300 toy....

s0dlx5ieucx_7djwr_9lk9ijkn-img600x409-14

Don't get me wrong, the most important part is that it is a VF-0D PT...which no one else is going to make.....but still...I can totally understand those that have cancelled orders or will be deciding to skip on this release...the color should have been a slam-dunk for Arcadia...just pick any color seen on the anime and it would have been "right".....does the one selected even appear in any scene?.....

Thanks for the early pics, Shukenzero :)

Now that the color is settled, I'm excited to get to handle one of these within the next week and a half or so. For some reason my brain didn't think those deltas would swing out like that even though I knew full well this is a VF-1 based design. :D

Edited by xrentonx

I think if they can get the color sort of close on a gashapon type figure...they could have done better on a $300 toy....

<snip>

Don't get me wrong, the most important part is that it is a VF-0D PT...which no one else is going to make.....but still...I can totally understand those that have cancelled orders or will be deciding to skip on this release...the color should have been a slam-dunk for Arcadia...just pick any color seen on the anime and it would have been "right".....does the one selected even appear in any scene?.....

I'm siding with Mommar and Charger on this color debate. No solid blue color can be accurate because the OVA never showed the VF-0D in pristine condition. We only saw it used and weathered during carrier operations. That gashapon figure is simulating the weathering effects created in nature using a a particular tone, hue, and shade. I wouldn't be quick to claim that it is an accurate color blue.

I'm not saying that to persuade any of the naysayers, mind you. Most people who have cancelled have probably made up their minds already. I'm just very interested in seeing Arcadia's blue 0D with weathering, because I think it will look damn cool.

Wow! EMS was 4,700Y from NY.

Oh well, another Arcadia release that will require a lot of work when I get it. I still haven't gotten around to my YF-19 yet. I think I'm done with Arcadia after this!

Although I haven't yet tried the salt wash method, I don't believe its shooting a salt solution at the model but using the partially melted salt as a soft mask and spraying over that in multiple passes with different colours, each time cleaning the salt residue off and re-applying. I just might have to try this to lighten the dark blue, its too bad - but this might be the one time I don't want too much tampo to have to mask around :p

Any word if there are any waterslide decals included in this on top of the stickers? (I can only wish...)

Well....I'm not a hard core stats/Macross history guy, but weren't the first combat-ready, fully operational VF-0's first deployed to the Pacific fleet in 2008? If so, how can they get weathered so quickly?

Anyone know how long it would take a real jet fighter to look as "well-weathered" as a VF-0D seems to be?

I have to agree with those that say the color is just too wrong to even try to justify. They went with a color that was not even onscreen, instead of choosing one that was and remaining technically faithful to the anime.

If Arcadia ever gets to re-releasing the Max and Milia Super -1J's...how wrong will those colors be? Metallic chrome perhaps? :rolleyes:

Morphers%20Chrome%202.jpg

Guest davidwhangchoi

Hell, it's a two seater. If nothing else, I'll take the Max and Millia pilots out of my Virgin Road 1D and pretend they got married a few years earlier.... :wub::D^_^

hahahaha

Well....I'm not a hard core stats/Macross history guy, but weren't the first combat-ready, fully operational VF-0's first deployed to the Pacific fleet in 2008? If so, how can they get weathered so quickly?

Anyone know how long it would take a real jet fighter to look as "well-weathered" as a VF-0D seems to be?

I don't know how long it'd take for a real fighter to look like that, but I wonder if ability of the VF-0 to dive wouldn't accelerate the process ^_^

I don't know how long it'd take for a real fighter to look like that, but I wonder if ability of the VF-0 to dive wouldn't accelerate the process ^_^

LOL...I wash my car weekly to get rid of salt during the winter.....pretty sure the VF-0 crews would want to thoroughly wash a multi-million dollar piece of equipment, especially if it had been under the ocean..... ;)

I'm curious to know if it takes months or years to cause that kind of weathering to paint on aircraft stationed on carriers....

Great photos! Dang it im itching to get mine! So are you happy with the final release?

Apart from wishing it was a tad lighter in shade, I'm overjoyed! I've been waiting on this for ages. To be honest the colours can be modded by the craftsmen among us, so the most important thing is that the actual design is spot on. I'm thoroughly enjoying it, save for the fact that I also got my HT Iron Man and Captain America in one evening too! Too many things to look at, so I just left all of them lying around until the weekend. Lol.

WM Cheng the box comes with stickers not waterslides. Didn't take a photo of them but they are stuck on the exact same way as how Yamato used to do em.

I'm curious to know if it takes months or years to cause that kind of weathering to paint on aircraft stationed on carriers....

I'd imagine it takes less time than you think with the high and supersonic speed causing heat and friction on the paint and pulling various fluids out of every seam and flap and dragging it along the paint job.