Arcadia 1/60 Perfect Transformation VF-0D for 2015

Dark_Ghost

There does seem to be a disparity concerning the ankle ball joints Arcadia are using. My VF-19, which has been through several transformations and has been in battroid mode almost continuously since I got it, still has stiff ankle joints. OTOH, my Arcadia YF-19 had a loose right ankle joint right out of the box. The left is not as tight as I'd like either, but it's sufficiently tight enough to hold the thing up in battroid. The situation is reversed on my VF-17, but again, one ankle joint is sufficiently tight enough to enable standing poses. Given that these are expensive high end toys, and the expectation from the manufacturer should be that these will be posed in battroid at some point, more thought should be put into joint designs for strength, longevity, and range of motion, so that the consumers aren't concerned on day one whether or not their new $300+ toy will actually stand on its own. If they are receiving negative feedback from various sources concerning this issue, I hope they'll take it to heart and consider a redesign. In this regard, Bandai has the superior design, and I'd be happy if Arcadia would follow suit.

While I agree Bandai seems to be able to design ankle ball joints better, their ability to design joints that keep their tension consistent in a general sense is still pretty lacking. While my VF-19s' ankles may be on a variable scale of "tight" to "limp noodle," they haven't changed over the time that I've had them. On the other hand, every joint on all of the Bandai valks may start to have the staying power of soggy tissue paper after a year or so, even if the valk never left the box.

I've kinda gotten past ankles being an issue though. They might not be great, and I might need to come up with ways to tighten them eventually, but I leave them in fighter mode so much it really hasn't become a problem.

Edited by Chronocidal

Now that color, I think is great. It looks more or less spot on to me.

I like the gunmetal paint job on the gunpod also and the close ups look like it has finer detail as well. From what I can tell, it looks like a new mold to me, which hopefully means a handle that isn't so floppy.

Edit: Once again for color comparison purposes here are some numbers to compare.

VF-0D color from screen cap:

Color Hex 537aa3

22.55% Red

33.15% Green

44.29% Blue

Color from the above image picked from a point that isn't washed out by lighting:

Color Hex 335674

20.16% Red

33.99% Green

45.85% Blue

That is pretty darn close! Given a margin for variance depending on the spot sampled, that color is correct.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

At least it looks like it can achieve a wider leg stance compared to the previous VF-0 releases.

post-10222-0-72391200-1415941914_thumb.jpg

Crooked gunpod! PANIC! :p

Fortunately, the hard point indentations look identical to the Arcadia YF-19's so we'll be able to attach the missiles and stuff from the 19 if we wanted to.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Sure is pretty. I like the blue they went with, if this is indeed final color.

Although it's unlikely, and probably a matter of perception on my part, but does the metal hip bar seem longer in some pics, where the hips are rotated, than in the straight-on shot?

I am most likely skipping this valk, but those pics sell it. Must resist.

Pretty sure they're the same hands from like the 1/48 VF-1... I would not get excited.

I think they're using a similar design, but the fingers look slightly less anemic on this iteration. The 1/48 and original VF-0 hands looked downright skeletal and could barely manage to hold things worth a crap.

Still wish they could take a cue from Bandai and make better looking hands which also gripped gunpods better. Yamarcadia's best looking hands were on the YF-21/VF-22 and VF-17.