Arcadia 1/60 Perfect Transformation VF-0D for 2015

Dark_Ghost

What I mean is certain unnatural character expressions in cartoons where a animator tries to exagerate the guys face to a point where it is just not realistic enough to believe but you just accept it because it is a cartoon.

People pride themselves on watching shows that are more real than others in terms of what can happen in them (eg the realism of the science in a science fiction anime) but then in the new shows you see characters might do something you never would see in real life like a facial expression that actually takes effort to do that is not natural.

It can be put into the same basket as making the nerdish guy with glasses no muscle mass or confidence suddenly be the ace pilot with great eyesight in macross, or making a drunk guy with long hair be confident and allowed to fly planes without being punished for it.

You just accept this crap because "it's cool man!" But then you sort of like it too because robots in this show are real. They can be grey, brown and look like real planes. We don't care much about realism in characters but we are obsessed with colours of the mechas. lol I've seen nonsense from both western and eastern cartoons. I think both sides are guilty of doing dumb stuff.

We still don't have a realistic reason in macross for why robot mode is needed to fire the ship's cannon. But it is in all the shows post sdfm. Really??? You want to crush your ship's crew by making walls collapse onto them for no other reason than to look cool fighting in space? lol You saw that guy's head get chopped off in DYRL during the transformation of sdf1. What kind of cruel military would do this on purpose just to appear awesome in battle? You get the point: expecting "realistic" crap that's not really 100% realistic to begin with. Macross is realistic. Anime can be realistic. But often times it breaks the rule when it wants to sell toys or be cool with the kids at the expense of going for realism. (colors of robots being perfect example: bright red for milia in sdfm even though zentradi are meant to focus on doing things with strategic value. Bright red is going to give you away and alert enemies. These warlike aliens must be brain dead. )

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Very good points on realism vs. stylized animation/art. I think modern anime and manga/comic book fans expect a certain level of realism because we are an aging fanbase. Technology and information availability have aided this trend. Look at US comics over the past decade and you'll see major evolution (widescreen stories with less word balloons, realistic costumes based on actual fabrics). I love realism applied to classic animation works (Transformers is a great example when you consider how simplistic the original toys/animation were).

Animation began with very simple technology (hand-drawn cels) which was labor intensive. Human beings instantly recognize facial expressions and assign emotional states to them. It's a short cut to getting your point across and it saved money. Current animation/art is bridging the gap between stylized art and reality (look at video games). A major divide formed with traditional art vs. CG (think Studio Ghibli) and we currently have a marriage between the two. We're in a constant state of transition and animation/art in 10 years will probably be much more realistic.

As to the facial expressions and colors of characters/mecha - I think they directly link to the human mind's recognition of certain visual cues to represent specific meanings. That may never go away despite technological advances and especially for art aimed at children (who have the most basic recognition due to limited experience). I personally prefer consistency and a random goofy face expression can throw me off (or make me laugh) in a serious show.

At the end of the day we're talking about works of fiction which can take creative license to get their point across. When the military rolls out the valks and space fortresses they will not mess around with the colors (or put faces on the robot forms, although skulls would be pretty badass).

Not to derail this conversation too much away from the VF-0D - I'm looking forward to it (with a lighter blue color scheme - almost 'Max') and hope they re-release the entire Macross Zero line. Praying it's not more than $250, but I'll support them regardless. I sold off my entire M0 collection after deciding to focus on the M7 releases and can now afford new versions. If they gain enough momentum to release a GBP prototype then I will freak out :)

*snip*

We still don't have a realistic reason in macross for why robot mode is needed to fire the ship's cannon. But it is in all the shows post sdfm. Really??? You want to crush your ship's crew by making walls collapse onto them for no other reason than to look cool fighting in space? lol You saw that guy's head get chopped off in DYRL during the transformation of sdf1. What kind of cruel military would do this on purpose just to appear awesome in battle? You get the point: expecting "realistic" crap that's not really 100% realistic to begin with. Macross is realistic. Anime can be realistic. But often times it breaks the rule when it wants to sell toys or be cool with the kids at the expense of going for realism. (colors of robots being perfect example: bright red for milia in sdfm even though zentradi are meant to focus on doing things with strategic value. Bright red is going to give you away and alert enemies. These warlike aliens must be brain dead. )

I believe the guy's head got chopped off during the battle where Minmay sings. It's when they started bombarding missles towards the SDF-1 after Boldolza heard Minmay's song. And the SDF-1 were already in robot mode that time. And they always announce to the city when they're going to transform. ;)

Edited by no3ljm

This is getting up to Amelia Earheart levels of losing the topic you know... :p

But while we're here, no, pretty sure the SDF-1 was the only ship that had to transform to fire the cannon. I seem to remember Max firing it while Battle 7 was in cruiser mode, and I know they did it that way in Frontier.

Also, the original SDF-1 was never meant to hold people inside its random hull cavities, and after that, the battle portions were separated from the civilian areas.

Now, if we can shove aside the issues of how a show about transforming fighter jets isn't realistic, I'd like to return to drooling over that VF-0D. ^_^

I'm thinking this is going to be expensive like YF-19?

Seeing as how it isn't as complex a fighter as the new designs maybe they can shave off a bit on the price for us?

I'm pretty sure after this we will all have to sell a few kidneys to get the whole Mac Zero family of VF-0.

They ARE planning Reactive armor and Roy's VF-0 right? He is a main character who teaches peple how to fight properly), and the ghost booster was done last time but not the armor. Going by the "let's do stuff we didn't visit yet last time, first this time" formula, I would say this is in the works already right?

After this is all done: 1/60 mac zero destroids and SV-51 v2. (let me know when to sell my old one ok?)

I hope we have November preorders for a January release. It looks like they're really far along at this point so that doesn't seem like too crazy a timeline. I'd guess the more likely timeframe is a December preorder for a March release as that seems more toy industry standard.

I don't know, I'm thinking that unless they pack in a bunch of extras, they could probably get away with this one being between $250 and whatever the VF-17 was.

They should include a floating rock with the toy to hold it up without a stand. Any word on how these ankles are going to be? Are they going to be balljoints? Cockpit: does it open up so the pilot can get out from the chest like in the show? I got to re-watch this show again because I forget what the valks were like.

I don't remember ever seeing the character try to exit from the top of the chest like the VF-1.

I hope we have November preorders for a January release. It looks like they're really far along at this point so that doesn't seem like too crazy a timeline. I'd guess the more likely timeframe is a December preorder for a March release as that seems more toy industry standard.

2nd'ed

-b.

I'd imagine it works out exactly like the YF-19. November pre-order. March/April release.

The SDF-1 fired it's first shot on the ground in cruiser.

He says that it had to transform after the fold engine disappeared which is correct. It did fire a shot in cruiser before the fold engines disappeared, that is also correct. What does this have to do with the VF-0D?