Gundam Live Action Movie In The Works?

Life-size_Gundam.jpg

"Gundam" live action movie in works? It seems so! As the Legacy Effects, the visual effects team behind movies such as "Pacific Rim" "Real Steel" "Iron Man" "The Avengers" "Avatar" and most recently "X-Men: Days of Future Past" has partnered with "Gundam" creator Yoshiyuki Tomino to make Hollywood movies based on Japanese manga and anime!

According to sankakucomplex.com, "Gundam" creator Yoshiyuki Tomino will hold a press conference on January 21 to announce his partnership with Legacy Effects to "bring Hollywood movies based on Japanese anime and manga titles to a global audience".

One of these titles is said to be "Gundam" though it is not sure what part of the huge "Gundam" series Legacy Effects and Yoshiyuki Tomino will make a Hollywood adaptation off.

Fans of the anime are weary though due to fact that Hollywood has made adaptations of Japanese made video games/anime/manga and the results were not impressive, pointing to bombs such as "Dragonball Evolution", the live action "Tekken" and "King of Fighters" movies.

However some fans are quick to note that Yoshiyuki Tomino is part of the creative process and some of story that made "Gundam" popular will still be intact. They even praised that with the help of the big budget and the superior visual effects that Hollywood can provide means that the "Gundam" movie may very well be of quality.

For those who don't know the "Gundam" series is one of the biggest-if not the biggest-mecha manga/anime series in Japan. The "Gundam" franchise earned over 5 billion yen in revenue based on the sales of the toys, manga, tv shows and movies.

This is not the first time a "Gundam" live action movie was made.

A "Gundam" live action movie called "G-Savior" was released in 2000. It got bad reviews as it scored a 4.3 on the website IMDB.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131360-Gundam-Creator-Tomino-Teams-With-Hollywoods-Legacy-Effects

http://collider.com/gundam-movie-adaptation/

No, that's the 1/1 Gundam. It's in Odaiba. You can come see it, if you want. It's pretty great.

If Hollywood ever makes a Gundam pic, it'll probably be Wing, since that's the most popular in the US (alas...). Why would Tomino be involved?

post-939-0-33634400-1390158632_thumb.jpg

EDIT: I don't know why it turned out sideways... it's right-side-up in my Picture cache...

Edited by Gubaba

I don't think they'd do a representation of any previous show but a reboot of some sort while probably making it more Modern time-ish I think. Sorta like Gundam 00 was set in AD verse not UC, AC, AW so forth and so forth of some facticious era.

I do hold some reserve though after the devestating appearance of G-Savior and how horribly done that film was. And Tekken and King of Fighters? Those were low budget films....I don't even think they saw anything other than Select Theater release didn't they?

And besides, just because a Visual Effects team is going to sign on doesn't mean a studio has unless we hear about it on Tuesday. Who could it be? FOX? Nah, Dreamworks? .....That's possible, them and Paramount teamed up to bring Transformers, if anything Paramount would be the biggest supporter to bring this to light.

DISNEY? That's a joke :p don't take that one seriously.

Lionsgate could be interesting, they've had good films, not big blockbuster films, but stuff that at least made back revenue.

I would think Neill Blomkamp (or whoever does mecha designs for him) can pull it off. I loved the exo used in District 9 and the mechs of Elysium.

But here is another thought... why don't we make a magical uplifting rated G story about Gundam for kids! Gundam meets Guntank and Guncannon and together go on an adventure to the island of A Bao A Qu to meet the mysterious wizard Char!

I would think Neill Blomkamp (or whoever does mecha designs for him) can pull it off. I loved the exo used in District 9 and the mechs of Elysium.

But here is another thought... why don't we make a magical uplifting rated G story about Gundam for kids! Gundam meets Guntank and Guncannon and together go on an adventure to the island of A Bao A Qu to meet the mysterious wizard Char!

But they already did that in the original SD gundam shorts :p

I'll hold out hope that this movie will be ok but there's a good chance it'll be terrible.

No, that's the 1/1 Gundam. It's in Odaiba. You can come see it, if you want. It's pretty great.

So, how many other people have gone to see it?

post-12411-0-86860200-1344134209_thumb.jpg

So... Tomino was supposed to announce it on the 21st... and it looks like he's working on an (unnamed) animated work and also on an (unnamed) adaptation of a children's book (as live-action).

So...yeah... I don't think it's "Hollywood Gundam."

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-21/gundam-tomino-to-helm-new-animated-work-by-hollywood-legacy-effects

So... Tomino was supposed to announce it on the 21st... and it looks like he's working on an (unnamed) animated work and also on an (unnamed) adaptation of a children's book (as live-action).

So...yeah... I don't think it's "Hollywood Gundam."

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-21/gundam-tomino-to-helm-new-animated-work-by-hollywood-legacy-effects

Could it be that maybe... Tomino is just trolling everyone?!? :o