VF-0 To buy or not to buy

Firefox

Instead of buying Yamato VF-0A and VF-0S i bought the Wave model kits of them in battroid mode.

They are only scale 1/72 but at least the quality will be a non-issue.

That's what I plan to do too, for now at least. I like the beautiful VF-0's but I dislike that they were not as well made as the current VF-1's. I'd rather wait to see if they ever remake them again than to spend so much on one, save for the Sv-51 CF which grew on me (but still a floppy mess!)

I don't know. It all depends on the price. I won't pay hefty price knowing the design defect of the current VF-0. If Arcadia is going to come out the improved version of VF-0S, I don't mind paying more. I guess the VF-0S will be the last toy I bought from Arcadia, unless they make VF-2SS and VF-2JA from Macross 2.

Speaking from a position of having owned a Yamato VF-0S I would not buy one (or the 0A). If Arcadia doesn't re-visit this Valk with a new design then I'd just chalk it up as one more Valkyrie or item from the Macross universe that I won't own in toy form.

-b.

The problem is the price they are going for right now, which is not really worth it for the quality of the toys. I'd buy it if the prices come back to their original MSRP or lower (only those non defective versions). I have the same view with Kaneda's Bike if Arcadia does not remake the valk.

How long will you be able to wait before deciding to buy a Yamato one? I mean if Arcadia don't suggest anything about a new version.

It's not really any point in buying a toy that will fall apart on you unless you will always keep it in fighter mode and never touch it but I prefer battroid mode on these toys so no buy for me... ever.

I have been eyeing a SV-51r Nora for ¥21,000 but I will probably pass on that as well.

Although these vf-0s are not as good as v2 yamato's, if my memory serves me right (sold mine after graduation), they werent pretty bad at all especially v2 VF-0S. The exploding arms issue, loose thruster feet, and broken tailfin nubs were problems of earlier releases and the VF-0A...my v2 VF-0S was pretty sturdy in all modes. But especially gorgeous in fighter :
1450320_10151990099687707_1109976002_n.j1454662_10151990099752707_125640155_n.jp1461301_10151990099822707_1690594416_n.j

Edited by aaajin

I may be mistaken but I've read on Jenius' review of the Yammie VF-0 toys that there are three "safe" VF-0 production runs.

1) The CF, ie "Unknown Soldier" version of the VF-0A, which has a no-name pilot figure instead of Shin. The box looks like this:

r7bq.jpg

2) The VF-0S Ghost Bundle, which was "the first release officially declared safe".

3) The VF-0S stand alone re-issue that comes in the same box as the first production run, making it difficult to find out if you've gotten a first or second production run toy.

I am also debating whether or not to buy a VF-0 toy. I've wanted one for quite some time. After acquiring a SV-51 a little while ago, I feel like I need a VF-0 to pair up with it.

I know that even with the "safe" production run units, the toys are reported to be generally sloppy at the joints but at the same time, I don't know if Arcadia will touch the Macross Zero toy designs, either for a re-issue of the Yammie toy designs or take a stab at coming up with new toy designs of their own. So I'm feeling the itch to burn some money and buy a "safe" VF-0 toy.

Edited by Newtype78

I may be mistaken but I've read on Jenius' review of the Yammie VF-0 toys that there are three "safe" VF-0 production runs.

1) The CF, ie "Unknown Soldier" version of the VF-0A, which has a no-name pilot figure instead of Shin. The box looks like this:

r7bq.jpg

2) The VF-0S Ghost Bundle, which was "the first release officially declared safe".

3) The VF-0S stand alone re-issue that comes in the same box as the first production run, making it difficult to find out if you've gotten a first or second production run toy.

I am also debating whether or not to buy a VF-0 toy. I've wanted one for quite some time. After acquiring a SV-51 a little while ago, I feel like I need a VF-0 to pair up with it.

I know that even with the "safe" production run units, the toys are reported to be generally sloppy at the joints but at the same time, I don't know if Arcadia will touch the Macross Zero toy designs, either for a re-issue of the Yammie toy designs or take a stab at coming up with new toy designs of their own. So I'm feeling the itch to burn some money and buy a "safe" VF-0 toy.

Exactly. If memory serves me right, the exploding arms were more common on the 0A Shin. And main issues with earlier releases are the loose thruster feet. Got my reissued VF-0S (with the same box art) from a HK seller. Main thing you can check to determine the version is the thruster feet. If it has no problem locking (after pulling them out) in battroid then its the 2nd version.

If I could get a hand on a VF-0S within the 100-ish price range, Id definitely jump on it again. As of now, Ive had too many valk purchases this month, so Im calling it a day..until I get more money to burn.

i would say if you are a fan of the design...get it....and yes get a "safer" release without the exploding shoulders issue. No telling when or if Arcadia will revisit Zero. Are there lots of Zero fans in Japan? IMO the VF-0 is among the best fighter designs in the macross universe and i love the look of the battroid too. Keep in mind though with the the toy this is a PRE VF-1 V2 yamato toy. Its a "second generation" effort i'd say. not up to the standards of a v2 VF-1, but I'd say the build quality (minus the known issues) is somewhere close to a 1/48 . That said I own both a "fragile" one and a "safe" one, both are still whole. that being said the toy COULD use an update. I'd accept a V1 VF-0 into my collection in a heartbeat.

I have a question for VF-0 toy owners: How does the feel of the toy in hand compare to that of the SV-51?

I ask this because I've read about the floppiness of the SV-51 toy that arises after being handled after a while but I don't find my Nora type, which was purchased already owned, to be that bad at all. Aside from loose ball joints at the hips, which were easily remedied by tightening the screws of the housings around the hip joints, I don't find the toy floppy. It's by no means a rock solid figure but it can hold poses with no problems.

If wait, the amount they cost is not worth their durability.

Besides Graham had stated they were working on V2 Zeros at the same time as the

YF-19. It's safe to say with the money involved they'd keep the molds.

Hell it might be announced as soon as WF.

You never know. Maybe all it was waiting on was licensing.

Guest davidwhangchoi

shoot, i have both zero renewal packaging as well as nora and ivanov. never opened a single one. they're just sitting in my closet :):unsure:

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Like a lot of the guys who have already chimed in, I had one of the VF-0S valks. It looked friggin' awesome but was really floppy and disappointing as a whole. If I were going to buy one of the old Zero valks today, I would try to find one of the 'Unknown Soldier' releases as they were apparently the best of the zero valks in terms of build quality.

Hopefully, Arcadia will deliver a new line of Zero valks as I'd love to get a redesigned and solid VF-0S some day.