Name the three best looking Macross valks

YF-29 Durandal

3: VF-22 Sturmvogel
While I LOVE reverse wing fighters, the Sturmvogel just has that design that makes me like it more. The reason why its in the number 3 spot, is because IMO, it only looks good in fighter mode. Nothing else. I applaud the zentradei design cues in battroid, but I mainly love fighter modes.

2: VF-1 Valkyrie

Lets be honest. This bird started it all. This is genesis. Without the VF-1 I probably wouldn't have gotten interested in Macross at all, (or made other important life decisions!) Even 30 years later the design is still a sight to behold, despite it's successors getting more flashy, thinner, and bigger. A time cherished design.

And for Number one! VB-6 KONIG MONSTER
Technically not a valkyrie, BUT it does have three transformation modes like its VF-1 cousins, so that...counts?

C'mon what can be better than what can be described as a transformable shuttle equipped with 4 Howitzer cannons and missile pods for arms? This beast has always been a personal favorite of mine.

My number one requires no thought at all. Number 2 and 3 were a little harder (because there are so many great ones):

1) VF-1S Strike DYRL (Focker) - as if there was any doubt! VF-1 is the most iconic period! By extension the VF-0S is also great but it's the same thing. Focker colors because they are legendary. When I think of Macross, I think of Skull one and when I think of Skull one, I think of the grizzled vet dying and handing down his plane to his protégé. In my opinion, the only bad thing about DYRL was that they didn't just give Hikaru Roy's colors for the end sequence because that would've made it even more badass.

2) YF-19 - forward swept wing design in Macross? HELL YEAH!

3) VF-25S (Super Packs and Armored; Ozma colors) - the 25 is iconic for the new generation and you can see the similarities in the 27, 29, 30, etc all stemming from the 25. Ozma...because Roy (sorry, I got a thing for Roy) :wub:

Honorable mentions: VF-4, VF-2SS, and YF-21

Edited by xrentonx

I think this needs to be a poll and qualify which mode we're talking about. For example, I love the YF-19 but I think it looks straight stupid in GERWALK.

Nah. More people need to quality why they chose what they did, that's all.

After a while, stopped reading the nominees, and skip straight to the text - as that's more interesting.

Edited by sketchley

Nah. More people need to quality why they chose what they did, that's all.

After a while, stopped reading the nominees, and skip straight to the text - as that's more interesting.

I agree. I mean I would rather now why jenius doesn't like the YF-19 Gerwalk-Mode then flying over another list of three VF-1 Valkyries. ;)

To have a poll of every valk that was ever made composing all three modes for each would make the number of poll choices in the hundreds so it's not viable, imo.

Yeah, you definitely wouldn't do all that in one poll. It'd have to be at least three polls.

I agree. I mean I would rather now why jenius doesn't like the YF-19 Gerwalk-Mode then flying over another list of three VF-1 Valkyries. ;)

I've said it before so for all of you that are sick of me saying it I apologize, but I'm 95% sure the YF-19's GERWALK is an example of a transformation that naturally didn't have a GERWALK mode so SK went ahead and forced one upon it. The result is the most 'half-transformed' of all GERWALK mode appearances rather than anything natural. I think the biggest sticking point visually are the arms in relationship to the wings. Where on other GERWALK modes the shoulders begin parallel or beneath the wings, on the 19 the shoulders are way above and the arms are above the wings which completely ruins the 'plane' effect. To make matters worse, the entire design looks unbalanced with the nose of the craft way in front of the toes.

Yeah, you definitely wouldn't do all that in one poll. It'd have to be at least three polls.

I've said it before so for all of you that are sick of me saying it I apologize, but I'm 95% sure the YF-19's GERWALK is an example of a transformation that naturally didn't have a GERWALK mode so SK went ahead and forced one upon it. The result is the most 'half-transformed' of all GERWALK mode appearances rather than anything natural. I think the biggest sticking point visually are the arms in relationship to the wings. Where on other GERWALK modes the shoulders begin parallel or beneath the wings, on the 19 the shoulders are way above and the arms are above the wings which completely ruins the 'plane' effect. To make matters worse, the entire design looks unbalanced with the nose of the craft way in front of the toes.

I have to agree with you that the Gerwalk-Mode of the YF-19 destroys the look of a plane with feet. All you could do there is to not transforms the arms at all. Do you feel the same way about the VF-11. Because the Thunderbolt has the same fuselage design in the rear where the arms, legs and shield make almost the entire back of the plane. I think it is not that pronounced due to the thrusters on the back.

The reasons why the design looks unbalanced in my opinion are the legs. The toys illustrate that pretty well. If Yamato included another click on the Gerwalk-joint and designed ankles that can be tilted a hole lot more backwards than you could bring the legs way more forward. I think that is what people describe as 'aggressive' a-stance. I think that legs with the range of motion of the Renewal Frontier Valkyries gave the VF-19 toys a much better looking Gerwalk-Mode. The YF-19 seems to be able to achieve this kind of pose. I saw once an image of that in the VF-19 thread I guess.

Thanks for giving a reason for your opinion I much appreciate it. Much better then just listing three Valkyries. :)

Edited by Scyla

• 2 weeks later...

1. yf-19 (best looking gunpod and almost the best fighter mode. Great 'helmet' design to make it look more sporty than the mass produced robots)

2. VF-4 - at first wasn't meant to transform. That is why I like the f mode a lot. Looks powerful (without being bulky) and fast at the same time. No gunpod to worry about either. If a VF loses that it is more vulnerable than a vf-4 which relies on built in weapons in the arms. At close range it is more deadly.

3. vf-1 - I love the swing wing design. At high speed they can dive down like a bird to attack and at low speed or in gerwalk they can open the wings wider and just glide and focus on attacking at slower speed for more precise and up close fighting with better turn speed. When first introduced by Roy in the first show as he flies down in plane mode, transforms to GERWALK mode to gradually slow himself by skating on the ground like a guy on rollerblades, and then come to a stop to turn into a robot, it defined the entire meaning of variable fighter and set the stage for all other valks to come. People are still buying the toys today. With GPB armour and super valk FAST packs the basic design can further be adapted to different roles too. It's a classic mecha. No wonder the VF-25 goes back to that style. I would say overall VF-1 deserves to be in the top 3 mainly because all modes are satisfactory in terms of the function. When I look at GERWALK for YF-19 or VF-11 I don't think that they look as good as the VF-1 for instance. VF-1 is probably the most practical design for general purposes imo. While YF-19 and yf-21 are probably better for special ops missions. (ie more stealth, the ability to fold into position etc) But what if the YF-19 gets damaged? More expensive to repair. What happens if a general purpose guy is damaged? You can replace the parts easier/cheaper hehe. You won't feel bad having to eject and watch your plane blow up. VF-1 basically ticks more boxes than the other more fancy designs do, despite being of lower performance in the lore of the macross universe. It looks good at the same time as being practical.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Best looking three? That's hard to say, especially without any qualifiers. I love so many of the designs, it's really hard for me to pick.

I would have to break mine down into categories at the very least and even then it's not easy.

Best looking fighter:

1. YF-21/VF-22

2. VF-11

3. VF-171 (or maybe VF-25?)

Best looking fighter with FAST/Super/Armour packs:

1. VF-1

2. VF-11

3. VF-25 w/ full armour

Best looking battroid: (really hard to choose. I keep changing what I put here)

1. YF-19/VF-19

2. YF-29

3. VF-171

Best looking battroid with FAST/Super/Armour packs:

1. VF-25 w/ full armour

2. VF-1 (Strike configuration)

3. VF-171

Edited by MacrossJunkie

As far as fighter mode, I think my favorite has just changed from the VF-0S to the YF-29 (the Isamu repaint, at least). It's just so sleek and sexy--I've put it on my desktop beside me right now, and I just can't help glancing at it every few minutes.

Edited by GU-11

1) VF-11B - Best looking overall for me, this baby just screams "combat grunt" in all modes. The only valk that I feel has surpassed the original VF1 design.

2) VF-1A - I love the mass-produced look; the industrial look of the CF just looks so realistic to me. Also, the VF1 is what got me to love mecha in the first place. This is my standard by which all other valks are judged.

3) YF-19 - I'm a big fan of the design, but the gerwalk mode makes this guy fall to the bottom of my list.

Here's why I love the YF-21 so very much : its fighter mode is my favorite because of its incredible sleekness and delta shaped wing. And it manages to turn into a battroid which design is reminiscent of a duster coat with a hood which holsters a gunpod on each side, wild west style. The fact that it's a valk which feet are not the obvious main boosters also makes it stand out.

And the red cyclops eye is the cherry on the cake, perfection :)