Macross Frontier Movies BD Boxset WITH ENGLISH SUBS!

Tochiro

I would like to see pics of the actual box set, so I can see why I paid so much in shipping lol. Still waiting on my set, my guess is it will be here on wed or so.

It's a pretty big box man, even I was surprised. It's mainly because of the two books you get, they're A4 size and thick with 2 cardboard layers containing 3 Blu-ray discs in 2 cases, the movies in 1 case while the other case is....whatever the hell that is I can't recall. And those are tucked into a big white box saying "PROJECT F" with a big Sheryl/Ranka wrap around over the box.

I was very shocked I got mine today...did not expect it. It said as of last night it cleared customes in San Fransico next thing I see this morning was my post office dropping it off.

Sadly I can't watch the film until everything is done in the theater room. Gonna be a while.

Got mine on Friday. For us non-Japanese speakers, it's a very good box, and very cool packaging. The fixes, and the translations seem just fine, and I'm thrilled they decided to do this. I can only hope they continue to do this for the rest of their series, and the one to come next year.

post-582-0-59490700-1400391880_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-93706000-1400391907_thumb.jpg

Not the greatest pics, but these are what the box looks like with the paper cover on.

Mine is in customs since Friday (that's why I don't like EMS, it's guaranteed to be customs-checked whereas the SAL stuff has a 50/50 chance of coming through without charge). So now I have to add 25% vat, plus 12% customs plus a 30 dollar service fee. Aghhh. Macross is an expensive mistress to maintain from afar. But the moment I pop that BD in I'm sure it will have been worth every bit of it.

Got my set in. At first, I was surprised at how much the shipping cost was, but when it arrived, I knew immediately knew why. It's a pretty big box and it's heavy too! It weighs about 3 pounds and 11 ounces. And that's not including the shipping box and packing material either.

As for the subtitles, I don't know enough Japanese to say whether or not the English subtitles are faithful, but they flowed very well and made complete sense. No engrish here! If Bandai Visual re-releases any more Macross BD's with subtitles of this quality, I'll gladly buy them.

I FINALLY got my theater room finished tonight. So I popped the Bluray in and watched a while, good subs, no issues. Tomorrow after work I'll go back to watching it on Surround sound. Can't wait!

The subtitles are great for when I just want to relax and watch it without concentrating on understanding. They're my break from AJATT I shouldn't be doing.

CDJapan says mine is on the way through "Air Mail" without tracking.

With the added shipping expense I started to get a little buyers remorse at how much I spent on it. Those feelings immediately went away when I got the boxset. Very pleased with everything. The movie looks fantastic on my 60" TV. The subs are very good. I only wish they had subbed the DYRL blu-ray when it was released.

The 2 art books are really good as well. Large format and high quality all the way. This is how all Macross releases should be.

One question. There is another blu-ray paper sleeve that came flat in it's own protective bag. It's been a while for me. What is that all about? Looks it's for some game or something. Features a cartoon dog(?) I think. I'll check it out more tonight when I have more time.

Also want to mention the package from amiami was good with plenty of protection all around. No complaints on that. Again, very pleased all around at this boxset. No regrets.

Edited by sharky

One question. There is another blu-ray paper sleeve that came flat in it's own protective bag. It's been a while for me. What is that all about? Looks it's for some game or something. Features a cartoon dog(?) I think. I'll check it out more tonight when I have more time.

The spare sleeve is a bonus cover insert in case you want the umai-bo-style characters on your BD case.

There was an Umai-bo (cheetos stick snack ) tie up promotion to commemorate the box set. Some parody animation is included on the extras disc as well (speaking of which, the PS3 part has a fairly hefty mandatory install).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-02-25/macross-frontier-film-box-promoted-with-umaibo-snacks-and-prizes

There was also an Umai-bo budweiser homage missile in the Macross Card Fighter animated commercial.

post-9325-0-31637600-1400600915_thumb.png

Umai-bo, by the way, are these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umaibō

Edited by Tochiro

The spare sleeve is a bonus cover insert in case you want the umai-bo-style characters on your BD case.

There was an Umai-bo (cheetos stick snack ) tie up promotion to commemorate the box set. Some parody animation is included on the extras disc as well (speaking of which, the PS3 part has a fairly hefty mandatory install).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-02-25/macross-frontier-film-box-promoted-with-umaibo-snacks-and-prizes

There was also an Umai-bo budweiser homage missile in the Macross Card Fighter animated commercial.

attachicon.gifUmaibo.png

Umai-bo, by the way, are these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umaibō

Ah, OK. Thanks for the info. It's been a little while, but I always return to my dark master that is Macross. :D

OK, here are some pics of what you get if anyone is still not sure. Kind of an unboxing if you will.

Here is a link to my photobucket slideshow

http://s896.photobucket.com/user/therealsharky/slideshow/Macross%20Frontier%20Blu-ray

Edit: sniped by Banshee :ph34r:

Still, check out the pics. I have some more pages from the artbooks and how it's packed in the box.

Edited by sharky

It was a limited edition Family Mart (convenience store)-exclusive edition of the 1/72 Messiah kit.

Actually, it was a repaint of the 1/100 scale VF100 VF-25 toy.

Does anyone know of a place that's still selling this? I had it pre-ordered with AmiAmi, but I can't pay them for some odd reason (they refunded me back my money saying that it was sent incorrectly) and I just want to stop dealing with the headache they're giving me.

They have it priced at $199.06 USD, so is anyone else still selling it for that amount?

Thanks

I ordered it yesterday afternoon from yesasia.com and they shipped it out early this morning for $181.99 http://www.yesasia.com/us/macross-frontier-movie-30th-d-shooting-star-b-box-japan-version/1034964504-0-0-0-en/info.html

Does the "free shipping" offer come with tracking or any kind of insurance?

To those that have had a chance to really go over the books....

I just briefly had a chance to thumb through the two books (who knows when I will be able to actually view the films)....but it seems most of the illustrations and production genga can be found in the various previously published Macross F books. Besides the cover art for the BD boxes....is there any other new art in these books?

Edited by jvmacross

Yes it does, i didnt get a tracking number and insurance i dont know. i know there pretty reliable they said if a shipment gets lost they will send you replacement i did order from them last year and had no trouble

Guest davidwhangchoi

whoah, they must have bumped up the price, when I ordered from AmiAmi back in December it was only $153

it's the same price as in december.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GAME-0010432&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_originaltitle%3DMacross+Frontier%24pagemax%3D20%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D1

he's including shipping which makes it out to 200 (they can't ship SAL only EMS.) i got the same quote from amiami but i decided to go with mandrake for 11700yen plus 3200yen DHL shipping

it's the same price as in december.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GAME-0010432&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_originaltitle%3DMacross+Frontier%24pagemax%3D20%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D1

he's including shipping which makes it out to 200 (they can't ship SAL only EMS.) i got the same quote from amiami but i decided to go with mandrake for 11700yen plus 3200yen DHL shipping

ah, I see.