Macross Frontier Movies BD Boxset WITH ENGLISH SUBS!

Tochiro

I just picked it up today.

PowerDvd doesn't want to play the movies on my PC, how are you guys doing it?

Did you picked up the DVDs or the BluRay? Depending on where you live the default region code of your drives might be different than the one from Japan. You should be able to tell the drive what kind of region code you want to use.

Here is some point of reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Region_codes

Hope that helps.

Some media has security software that won't allow playback on computers. Likely to curb piracy.

Usually "AnyDVD" will cancel out any such security and allow you to watch it on your PC.

I've noticed this restriction on some DVD's and BD discs in recent years.

AnyDVD 7.4.6

MacF series Bluray:

Video Blu-ray label: MACROSS_F_BD_BOX_DISC4
Media is AACS protected!
Drive supports bus encryption!
AACS MKB version 44
Warning, OPD error: HTTP error 12029!
Removed AACS copy protection!

MacF movies Bluray:

Video Blu-ray label: MACROSS_F_THE_MOVIE_SAYONARA
Media is AACS protected!
Drive supports bus encryption!
AACS MKB version 46
Sorry, but trial versions are not allowed to use the update server!

The AnyDVDHD trial is intended for functionality testing only and,
for business reasons, updates for processing some new discs are not available.
ERROR processing Blu-ray disc!

Looks like it needs to update something inside (like the powerdvd the first time i tried the series blurays), but trials cant update, first I have to pay ~70$.

So I'm screwed it seems.

Any ideas?

Edited by crixskn

AFAIK, there isn't any truly free BD player software out there - at least nothing that looks legitimate and is able to deal with AACS and BD+ protected discs.

I have the XMBC plugin to run BD playback through MakeMKV (which I use to rip everything), and just verified that such a playback works fine with the MacF movie discs. MakeMKV is still in public beta, and is free while in that state, though there are rolling keys that you have to update. Or you can buy a license for $50.

AFAIK, there isn't any truly free BD player software out there - at least nothing that looks legitimate and is able to deal with AACS and BD+ protected discs.

^^This.

I use AnyDVDHD to playback Blu-rays with Media Player Classic Home Cinema on my HTPC. However, I also have a dedicated blu-ray player for really stubborn discs. MPC-HC is a nice program, but it isn't for novice users and takes some time to learn.

Whatever you use on the PC, (PowerDVD, MakeMKV, or MPC-HC) make sure to keep the software up to date.

• 3 weeks later...

In Sayonara no Tsubasa, there's what I assume is a layer change when they attack the Vajra nest and Ranka is singing. It freezes there in MacGo Blu-ray Player unless I skip ahead of it.

http://www.woookao.cn

http://www.dvdfab.cn/download.htm

edit: Ripping didn't help, but woookao made it so I could play it in VLC with no freeze. PNG snapshots!

Can this forum display PNG files? It shows up as a black rectangle but opens fine on my computer.

http://imgur.com/a/TMtat/

Edited by Legioss

I decided to order this. The discount helped a lot since I am short on money right now.

Can anyone tell me what are in the books? I looked at a youtube vid of an unboxing but the person showing the books was very brief.

And what happens when you put the disc in a playstation?

Hopefully bandai do the tv series with english subs one day.

I also buy gundam dvd too, but I hear bandai usa closed?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-02/bandai-entertainment-to-stop-releasing-new-dvds-bds-manga

Does this mean no more gundam Unicorn releases in english dub on disc? Where do you get disc releases of stuff if you are not a fan of downloading digitally?

One of the books has many beautiful full page and smaller color pictures. It's mostly the characters but with some mecha. The other book has linart, douga (cel lineart), and a section with color picture of character models and backgrounds.

• 1 year later...

And a glorious set it is. Looks like it's got a good discount on Amazon. It was worth the regular price, so the discount is a no brainer. That is, if you like the movies.

Yes, but isn't annoying to order from amazon JP?

There isn't much choice considering there's no localizations for Macross.

Don't know. I got mine from Amiami back when it was first released. I had 2nd thoughts because the price was so high. But, I felt better when I actually received it and saw how nice the entire set was. It has 2 full sized art books not the little handbooks you normally get.

The thing I want to bring up is wouldn't the individual movie releases simply be the same actual Blu-ray disks as the box set? That is to say, wouldn't they also have subtitles if the original box set had subtitles?

Don't know. I got mine from Amiami back when it was first released. I had 2nd thoughts because the price was so high. But, I felt better when I actually received it and saw how nice the entire set was. It has 2 full sized art books not the little handbooks you normally get.

The thing I want to bring up is wouldn't the individual movie releases simply be the same actual Blu-ray disks as the box set? That is to say, wouldn't they also have subtitles if the original box set had subtitles?

No, because the box set came out AFTER the individual movie releases.

No, because the box set came out AFTER the individual movie releases.

Duh! That makes sense. I was just assuming super hyper ultimate boxsets come out first before the individual releases. I didn't even think to check the release dates on the webpage. My mistake.

Edited by sharky

Yes, but isn't annoying to order from amazon JP?

Only if you're buying something used, since they don't ship used products outside Japan. New stuff is just as easy as domestic Amazon.

Duh! That makes sense. I was just assuming super hyper ultimate boxsets come out first before the individual releases. I didn't even think to check the release dates on the webpage. My mistake.

Don't worry, it's easy to get confused...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Al right so I've got my copy and its glorious. I have lightly delved into the special features disk, its going to be a challenge given I don't know any Japanese.

But on a side note I though I read somewhere that there was a PS3 them on one of the disks in the set, am I just remembering wrong?

Al right so I've got my copy and its glorious. I have lightly delved into the special features disk, its going to be a challenge given I don't know any Japanese.

But on a side note I though I read somewhere that there was a PS3 them on one of the disks in the set, am I just remembering wrong?

You may be thinking of the earlier hybrid pack releases, which do not include subtitles. The hybrid packs are still available from some stores on-line.

For instance, cdjapan:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BLJS-93001

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BLJS-93005

Edited by technoblue