Strike A Pose! revisted...

dapro

9 hours ago, MKT said:

Agreed on this. :good:

Yamato 17 is a bit of love-hate. Basically it is quite the polar opposite of the Chogokin 171. Sculpt is neither here nor there on both fighter & battroid, it has next to none tampo details & the legs in Fighter have a strong tendency to detach. Yet the wings stay on properly, the plastics feels very robust, and the heft is likely to be just about the heaviest per sq inch for a valk (I don't have the 1/55 chunky so perhaps that trumps it).

And while the Chogokin 171 have detached quite far from the F-117 due to the long nose cone, the Yamato 17 still looks the part.

The 17 always reminded me of a tank.  A burly brute (especially with the FP’s on) that’s built to throw down.

It isn’t the prettiest fighter mode either, but it stands out from most of the other Macross birds out there.

It just stinks that there needed to be a ton of compromises to translate the anime into toy form.

. . . And speaking of dark colored fighters, more grey “panel-lining” :D:

75B6B96C-4E12-42E3-91C9-D1D2E81418A1.jpeg.4d6d48750f9527f93807c991047cdf23.jpeg

Edited by Mog

9 hours ago, MKT said:

Agreed on this. :good:

Yamato 17 is a bit of love-hate. Basically it is quite the polar opposite of the Chogokin 171. Sculpt is neither here nor there on both fighter & battroid, it has next to none tampo details & the legs in Fighter have a strong tendency to detach. Yet the wings stay on properly, the plastics feels very robust, and the heft is likely to be just about the heaviest per sq inch for a valk (I don't have the 1/55 chunky so perhaps that trumps it).

And while the Chogokin 171 have detached quite far from the F-117 due to the long nose cone, the Yamato 17 still looks the part.

I see one MAJOR issue with this.

Get your butt up and get yourself a 1/55 Chunky NOW!

2 hours ago, Mog said:

The 17 always reminded me of a tank.  A burly brute (especially with the FP’s on) that’s built to throw down.

It isn’t the prettiest fighter mode either, but it stands out from most of the other Macross birds out there.

It just stinks that there needed to be a ton of compromises to translate the anime into toy form.

. . . And speaking of dark colored fighters, more grey “panel-lining” :D:

75B6B96C-4E12-42E3-91C9-D1D2E81418A1.jpeg.4d6d48750f9527f93807c991047cdf23.jpeg

Yeah the more I get reacquainted with the 17, the more I appreciate its bulkiness.

Love the 22 too. :good: Bandai can take their sweet time with the 21, it’ll be sometime they move to the 22 if at all. 

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I see one MAJOR issue with this.

Get your butt up and get yourself a 1/55 Chunky NOW!

:lol: Yes sir! Lol I was kinda shy of admitting that, since the chunky is so widely agreed to be the best valk.

50 minutes ago, MKT said:

Love the 22 too. :good: Bandai can take their sweet time with the 21, it’ll be sometime they move to the 22 if at all. 

She’s actually a 21.  Dealer ain’t busting me with a 22! :lol:

But I agree with @Slave IV, you need to have a chunky in your collection.  Just for its history and significance.

I wound up giving my chunky to my son, but I’m glad it’s still in use. 

Lol I was so fixated with the black, I thought only the yellow accents were changed from a 22. Great work on the whole 21 custom there @Mog.

I used to have a 1/55 KO as a kid, in what would be equivalent to the v2 VF-1S Roy low-vis colors. It got lost during a move.

I do want to get it now, as I’m slowly moving to picking up older items, precisely for historical significance as you mentioned. I always felt I could pick up one up easily and so was looking at others first like the 1/72 Yammie Mac Plus items. Need to fix this 1/55 hole asap.

Small chance Bandai will revive the Chogokin 171? As it is, they have not bothered to even release the one from Delta.. I love the Nightmare Plus over the EX, not only for its colors, but the more angular cockpit shape that somehow makes a world of difference. This CF will forever be the toy equivalent of the garage queen lol..

VF-171 CF R-L NRM2 nt.JPG

85420124_VF-171CFL-RNRM2nt.JPG.27f0e31232e0a35a215e3a8a12f49c75.JPG

Now I wish I got the Armored pack specific to it, for the MDE and Reaction missiles. Only have Alto's.

1812727460_VF-171CFfrontNRM2nt.JPG.8ff1d4ee0ecd9a6000cc01f2084b2c29.JPG

Edited by MKT

5 hours ago, Mog said:

^^Beautiful bird.  

I’ve always loved the unique color scheme, but all the durability issues made me leery about tracking one down.

May be worth picking it up if it comes up for good price. Just to admire & whoosh it around in Fighter. 

It was easy decision for me, knowing the issues, as I’m more partial towards Fighter mode of any valk. :)

Minor shuffle of valks in my display, and the Arcadia YF-19 is being moved a bit. It's always a pleasure to have an Arcadia valk in hand, especially in Fighter they always feel solidly put together. Nevertheless, specific to the YF-19, there are couple of personal peeves:

Spoiler

In Fighter, the panel gap between the chest & shoulder plates is too large, and no matter what I do I can't seem to close it properly. This is unlike other Arcadia valks, which are almost always flushed well enough to look like regular panel lines. Perhaps it is just that when viewed from above, the other top panels on the YF-19 are so well flushed that the chest/shoulder panel gap becomes too conspicuous, or on other valks the panel lines on them are cut deeper/bigger to match the actual gaps.

The other peeve is the wings, in their default position, having just slightly less forward swept angle than I would like. Not really noticeable by itself, but when handling it side by side with the Chogokin YF-19, it becomes somewhat apparent. Fortunately, the wings can be pulled out slightly & adjusted to give it just a few more degrees swept angle, without it visually detaching from the wing glove.

1306599097_ArcadiaYF-19Fighterv2NRM2nt.jpg.0daf168e1dd1daa18405b978a70e2cdd.jpg

I really like high-speed mode of the YF-19 (using a VF-19 Advance here to stand in). To go from a FSW jet to something that resembles more of a missile is a visually striking transformation, and a mode that somehow doesn't really appear much when googling images of the YF-19 on the net.

2111010895_VF-19AFighterDedit2NRM2Ent.jpg.80e6af02e1c5067ff5a315455ba1adcc.jpg

Edited by MKT

On 1/7/2023 at 2:03 AM, no3Ljm said:

Really love these two birds and its high speed modes. :wub:  Love the shots, @MKT. :good: 

Thanks @no3Ljm. Handling these 2 birds & together with the VF-11, with makes me realize again how much thought must have gone into them. A few totally new VFs just for this OVA alone that aren't direct derivative of older valks. 

On 1/8/2023 at 8:20 AM, MKT said:

Isamu's rides..

1980886376_GNUVF-11BYF-19v2.1NRM2Dnt.jpg.3e6975a8d95432307378dd751a3e13a5.jpg

Nice! :good: 

I regret not getting the YF-19 and YF-21 from this line. I can probably still get the original release but I need the packs that came with fixes which is not available anymore.

Thanks @no3Ljm.

Yeah the extra packs are really difficult to come by. I'm still looking for the VF-11B armor pack. The YF-19 is the least articulated of the trio, and really need the parts to bring out its dynamism. That said, the chest replacement part for YF-19 has its faults. The chest ball joint in the extra part is too small, so the whole upper chest becomes too loose. Easily fixable though, with any coating material to thicken it up (I just wrap the ball with some tape).

On 1/16/2023 at 9:25 AM, Froy said:

Woah! That VF 1J GBP is a Yamato V1. Haven't seen of those in a while. Besides mine of course.

Sometimes I wonder if it would be worth getting just a Yamato v1, mostly for historical reasons. I nearly pulled the trigger on the Super Ostrich a few times, to double as filling the 1/60 hole in the collection. I hope Arcadia announces this for their next 1/60 VF-1 release.

5 hours ago, MKT said:

Sometimes I wonder if it would be worth getting just a Yamato v1, mostly for historical reasons. I nearly pulled the trigger on the Super Ostrich a few times, to double as filling the 1/60 hole in the collection. I hope Arcadia announces this for their next 1/60 VF-1 release.

I still have all my Yamatos V.1.

The first release of the VF-1S was my first Macross toy. If I'm not wrong I got it form Kevin Lam at Valkyrie-Exchange.

I'm only missing the Toys R Us exclusive VF-1A CF and the VF-1J GBP bundle.

The good old dayof the V.1's

thekingisdeadlonglivetheking.jpg.6eb61abb2e8cba6c93feb39b61025b11.jpg

Pic came from here

https://macrossworld.com/macross/toys/yamato_vf1/comparison.htm

I was looking for it for some time. I had it in an old drive I couldn't access any more.

Wanted to recreat it with the new DD Focker and old Yamato V.1. but I don know what other old model I could use. Yamato 1/48 and 1/60 V.2. are still very good toys in comparison.