Have Macross become out of reach for collectors

slaginpit

HKC is great and reliable. I purchased quite a few valkyries from them right before the great Yamato panic buy began. At times their prices in HK Dollars are a better deal than the JP Yen depending on your local currency. Their customer service is also pretty good. They sent me the wrong item once and gave me a full refund on the item and return shipment (International priority mail).

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=271709

Macross Plus Hanken Cel.....approx. 3800 USD

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=271812

Haruhiko Mikimoto Handwritten color shikishi Macross 7 Basara Nekki...approx: 6500 USD

Macross is no where near getting out of reach for "collectors"..... ^_^

But I guess this is a good thread to continue "venting" about 300 dollar toys...... ;)

Edited by jvmacross

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=271709

Macross Plus Hanken Cel.....approx. 3800 USD

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=271812

Haruhiko Mikimoto Handwritten color shikishi Macross 7 Basara Nekki...approx: 6500 USD

Macross is no where near getting out of reach for "collectors"..... ^_^

But I guess this is a good thread to continue "venting" about 300 dollar toys...... ;)

The VF-19Kai will inherit the "venting" when it gets released for $400+. Just My opinion.

The last Yamato bundled release was the VF-17D with fast packs.........there were no savings in buying it bundled or separately (based on MSRP)....

So based on the original MSRP of the -19 kai and sound booster........22000 JPY + 9800 JPY = 31800 JPY.....

However, they are mentioning "extras"......although unlikely...what if they do pack in the sound bazooka??? Might be getting close to the 400 USD mark....and would be a non-customer friendly move IMO to make it only available with the re-release bundle pack.....to be honest...I'd feel the same way about the inclusion of a 1/60 Fire Bomber set......very cool.... but really sticking it to their loyal customers.....personally, if the inclusion of 1/60 scale figurines are the only "extras" I may just wait for EXO to make a better set! :rolleyes: Same goes for the Sound Bazooka.....MW has the talent to build that too!.....

How much more did the new VF-1S re-releases really cost???.....discounting the "stand".....was that stand really worth an extra 7000 JPY based off the cost of the last VF-1S 30th release that came with the option parts?

That stand does a good job at hiding the true cost increases that Arcadia is charging for their stuff post-Yamato........now it makes sense why they may apparently start adding "extras" to all of their re-releases......

I think, in terms of "re-releases", the argument of continuing to "support Arcadia by buying their re-releases" has lost ground (I think a VF-4 or VT-1, not a VF-19 kai, re-release would have recharged that mindset)......coupled with what seems like an underwhelming reception of the YF-19............and I guess you can infer that the honeymoon is over! ;)

Failure to "spark some sizzle" with the upcoming VF-0D.......and we might be looking at filing some divorce (bankruptcy) papers again! :(

And before anyone brings up the tired old argument about Japan being different.....I've seen the high demand and prices paid for the VF-4 and VT-1 on the Japanese aftermarket....VF-19 Kai and sound boosters? Not so much..... -_-

Really? HKCollectibles?

I bought my [now long since sold] VF17S from them.

Was generally disappointed with the item, just checked to see if I could return it for a refund.

They told me that it was okay, and I asked for a return address.

Their return address was incomplete, missing the post code. I sent an email back notifying them of this...and they never, ever replied. Since I was moving out of the country a few days after that, I never had the chance to ask back for it as the back and forth would have been useless.

So, um, yeah, top notch customer service...leaving a customer hanging like that.

The last Yamato bundled release was the VF-17D with fast packs.........there were no savings in buying it bundled or separately (based on MSRP)....

So based on the original MSRP of the -19 kai and sound booster........22000 JPY + 9800 JPY = 31800 JPY.....

However, they are mentioning "extras"......although unlikely...what if they do pack in the sound bazooka??? Might be getting close to the 400 USD mark....and would be a non-customer friendly move IMO to make it only available with the re-release bundle pack.....to be honest...I'd feel the same way about the inclusion of a 1/60 Fire Bomber set......very cool.... but really sticking it to their loyal customers.....personally, if the inclusion of 1/60 scale figurines are the only "extras" I may just wait for EXO to make a better set! :rolleyes: Same goes for the Sound Bazooka.....MW has the talent to build that too!.....

How much more did the new VF-1S re-releases really cost???.....discounting the "stand".....was that stand really worth an extra 7000 JPY based off the cost of the last VF-1S 30th release that came with the option parts?

That stand does a good job at hiding the true cost increases that Arcadia is charging for their stuff post-Yamato........now it makes sense why they may apparently start adding "extras" to all of their re-releases......

I think, in terms of "re-releases", the argument of continuing to "support Arcadia by buying their re-releases" has lost ground (I think a VF-4 or VT-1, not a VF-19 kai, re-release would have recharged that mindset)......coupled with what seems like an underwhelming reception of the YF-19............and I guess you can infer that the honeymoon is over! ;)

Failure to "spark some sizzle" with the upcoming VF-0D.......and we might be looking at filing some divorce (bankruptcy) papers again! :(

And before anyone brings up the tired old argument about Japan being different.....I've seen the high demand and prices paid for the VF-4 and VT-1 on the Japanese aftermarket....VF-19 Kai and sound boosters? Not so much..... -_-

Yeah, I'm not sure who they have doing the marketing over at Arcadia, but it's starting to feel like it might have been someone who should have stayed with Yamato!

You have valks at 400$+ on the secondary, you ignore those, for the ones on clearance... I don't care if you're from Mars, that's just dumb.

I don't care if Basara landed here and said Macross was real, and he's going to serenade us into Space... His VF-19 is still on super clearance from a half dozen places! Do Japanese residents only buy from Japanese stores? If he's that popular it shouldn't be on Clearance anywhere.

meanwhile we get "VF-4 a lot of work" VT-1 "Doesn't sell" SDF-1 "Not a big market"

Oh really? please Arcadia point me to where these things are just lying around taking up space in Japan.

Yeah 22000 JPY + 9800 JPY = 31800 JPY is a given. I wouldn't expect the Kai to go any less. The question is will Arcadia mark it up like it did for the VF-1? My money is on yes especially with the mention of extras. This is the first non-vf-1 reissue by arcadia and will set the precedent for the year(s?) to come. Interesting decision to pack in the soundbooster. Yamato probably would've been smart to do that for their release, Arcadia not so much. Probably the only way to sell the sound booster would be through a web exclusive offer. I think collecting Valks is going to get really expensive really quick (more so than it already is). It's funny how some people think vf-0d is going to be under $200. There is no way that is going to happen especially considering how much the vf-1 is now.

Based on the small issues with the YF-19, I'm more interested to see how the Arcadia VF-19KAI stacks up against the Yamato version.

I was never a massive fan of the "McValk" but I can take it off my shelf, transform it, pose it and it feels as good today as when I first took it out of the box.

The VF-1 release was pretty much a carbon copy, except for the slightly odd color choice for the plastic (pinkish). I hope they get it right, (VF-19) add a few things and maybe change the color and I will most likely buy one, provided that the price does not skyrocket.

Edited by typhoon

Really? HKCollectibles?

I bought my [now long since sold] VF17S from them.

Was generally disappointed with the item, just checked to see if I could return it for a refund.

They told me that it was okay, and I asked for a return address.

Their return address was incomplete, missing the post code. I sent an email back notifying them of this...and they never, ever replied. Since I was moving out of the country a few days after that, I never had the chance to ask back for it as the back and forth would have been useless.

So, um, yeah, top notch customer service...leaving a customer hanging like that.

Hong Kong addresses have no postal code. Not every country work like yours. HKC must have read your email/accusation and thought less of you and thus never replied, and I don't blame them.

Edited by locidm

Hong Kong addresses have no postal code. Not every country work like yours. HKC must have read your email/accusation and thought less of you and thus never replied, and I don't blame them.

Well seeing as I was a customer with the potential of being a return customer, they didn't do right by me.

And how on Earth is a simple "I see no postal code, could you please provide me with one?" an accusation? I never accused them of bad service until well after that.

A simple "I am sorry, we do not operate with postal codes in Hong Kong, if you still want to return the item, return it to the address provided" would have been sufficient and I would definitely have bought something else from them after this.

EDIT: "And they thought less of me, and you don't blame them" ?

-Get off your high horse brother, read exactly what I wrote, and then start accusing blame and thinking less of people.

Edited by Knightdramon

Well seeing as I was a customer with the potential of being a return customer, they didn't do right by me.

And how on Earth is a simple "I see no postal code, could you please provide me with one?" an accusation? I never accused them of bad service until well after that.

A simple "I am sorry, we do not operate with postal codes in Hong Kong, if you still want to return the item, return it to the address provided" would have been sufficient and I would definitely have bought something else from them after this.

-Get off your high horse brother, read exactly what I wrote, and then start accusing blame and thinking less of people.

I think what locidm meant by "Not every country work like yours" was the way that you can return an item to a store just because you don't like it. I know a lot of shops from where I came from would scream at you if you ever do that..locally. Dont even mention if they would accept returns on international orders.

I guess its just culture and consumers rights across borders are different.

Edited by aaajin

I think what locidm meant by "Not every country work like yours" was the way that you can return an item to a store just because you don't like it. I know a lot of shops from where I came from would scream at you if you ever do that..locally. Dont even mention if they would accept returns on international orders.

I guess its just culture and consumers rights across borders are different.

I wasn't trying to accuse blame and think less of people. What I was implying is that if I was in the shoe of the HKC staff processing your case, frustration isn't unwarranted. Consider that the HKC staff knows nothing about you but the following:

1. customer bought valkyrie at drastically reduced price which HKC is trying to get rid of stock for.

2. customer did not like the valkyrie and requested refund/return, which the staff agreed to and provided instructions, despite, as aaajin described above, such practice is usually a big no no in Hong Kong. Return means loss of money.

3. customer came back and wanted a postal code, which doesn't exist.

I don't disagree that the case could be handled better. What I said was that I don't blame HKC for not responding because the facts above don't make a strong case for an ideal customer for a small business like HKC. No high horse, no blaming, no personal attack.

Yeah, we might have started on the wrong foot here, but it's okay, no harm done.

Just to clarify a few things; I did not demand to return the item, I let them know that it wasn't what I expected and asked IF they accept returns on such cases, which they did.

Then it went okay until I asked for further clarification, which I never received.

It's not like I am actively trying to be the bad guy here. Seeing as they are a company which deals with customers from all over the world, they must come across questions like "where's your post code?". Surely something the majority, if not all of, Europe and USA use for their addresses must come up from time to time.

If they said that they do not accept returns on items that aren't outright defective, I'd be okay as well. It's just the ignoring part that got to me.

I only brought up HKC because I've made several large orders to them over the years and I have had 0 issues, but that's just the way it is, everyone has different experiences with different retailers. I personally stopped buying from HLJ about two years ago because I think they are god-awful rip-off artists, but on the opposite end of the spectrum lots of people here buy from HLJ to this day and love them, to each their own, I'm pretty sure every retailer and on-line store that sells Macross items has been both Blacklisted and put up on the Straight Shooter List at some point.

Personally, I've kind of given up on Yamato/Arcadia & Bandai moden Valks. They're just too expensive for me. I'm not going to say they're not worth it. But only the 'older' Yamato pieces and classic Bandai & Takatoku stuff is in my price range now. So I've gone back to models, 1/55's, vinyl figures & stuff I loved back in the 1980s. I wanted them back then, anyway. So it's not so bad.

For those who can't afford arcadia stuff, have you thought about selling your old stuff, saving up a little bit of money over a whole year (1 dollar a day) and just stop 'collecting everything' and instead just buying one of each thing? (no multiples - to me that's excessive - I only did it for vf-19S which i consider a gold standard for future macross toys)

That's what I do and I do not consider myself a rich guy. I'm not saying I like the high prices but given that yamato is no more and there are always going to be desperate people willingly forking out hundreds for these things I don't hold much hope that prices go down. They probably figured out that if they just release limited number they can survive. So they deliberately set price high to wallet rape us in exchange for releasing newer and improved toys that we express interest for in polls. The masses will probably only buy one toy and then only if its a hero valk that is highly recognisable and safe for them to do. If it is canon fodder like vf-11 or vf-171 the masses probably won't care and these only become valuable to collectors later on when they go out of print/production. (but cheap during the time they were easily available)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

• 3 weeks later...

Have macross become out of reach for collectors? when a vt-1 gets to the selling Price of 700 usd the answer is a big YES!!, after 4 years in the market is too much. not even a vintage star wars toy after 30 years gets to a insane Price like that and i know it well because a friend of mine has every sinlge piece of the vintage star wars toys

Edited by valkfighter

Also, ebay scalper prices are not an accurate indicator of fair market prices. If I threw a pair of out of print air Jordans on ebay for 10 grand right now, would that make all Nike sneakers out of reach of collectors?

Higher price because better build/ quality. New tooling and better material required. Market for Macross toys not that big so turnover to cover the initial expensive cost need to be covered. Hence the higher price.

Up until now I've been firmly in the "no, Macross collecting is not out of reach" but the question is so subjective from person to person and even then situation to situation.

I'll be starting a new career shortly and my new income is certainly in question, I say this because as of right now my answer is still "no" but in some point in the near future my answer could be "yes", for no other reason than my own personal financial circumstance.

Put shorter, one collector says no, another says yes - all based on what they can afford and are willing to spend.

-b.

Yes, it's pretty much down to each person's perception and financial situation. Collector beware too, with such a high price and it's going to be higher for each release, it's going to hurt the value in long term. Simply, many will dump the old ones in order to generate enough cash for the new one. Look at the Yamato 1/48 VF-1 range. It has become pretty affordable now. Even the prices of the once rare and expensive 1/60 VF-0S is going down steadily. Regardless how limited quantity they produce, if the prices continue to rise, it will only hurt the collector value in long term. After all, Macross market is small and the limited number of people can have only that much income to spare.