[Help] Understanding the SDF1

logan_4600

Hello everybody! i saw some impresive work here, and i would really like some help understanding in detail the mechanics and details of the SDF1. I´ve started a 3d model of it, and, even with some liberties in design, i am trying to do it as detailed as my knowledge and abilities modeling let me. I have made the Control tower, and bridge, but, with the front torso, there ar some parts of wich a i dont understand WHAT they are. I have all the sketches from Macross Encyclopedia site, and a copy of DYRL, but i still don´t get them, what are this ´things´ from the attached pic? They´re Guns? They´re Destroid Mounts?

Is there any real close up from them?

Thanks in advance!

post-28350-0-86816700-1386865001.jpg

Edited by logan_4600

Yes! Indeed! Thank you, i do have ALL the pics and schematics from the Macross Encyclopedia and Mecha Manual, but, those parts marked in my pic, what are they??? Weapons? Bays? Mounts? :/

Yes..."guns"...it's all detailed in the link provided....

• 1 x OverTechnology Macross super-dimension-energy cannon with beam polarizing converging system (bow)
  • 8 x OverTechnology guided converging beam cannons
  • 4 x high speed 178 cm electro magnetic rail cannons

I think the general concesus is that those are turrets that the macross was rebuilt with. IIRC they even open up like a smaller scale macross cannon. As for the destroid mounts, those are in various places across the ship, I would be willing to be that you could find Destroid "mounts" in place of destroyed turrets as the story went on, but those weren't shown.

Although the main question has already been answered, I just want to chime in with some reassurance. The number of these large cannon turrets do accurately correspond to the official written trivia. Count each one of these turrets on the line art and they add up to the official number of guns. Also, I believe the Macross Chronicle does identify these as cannons. I think some of my old art books (This Is Animation Series #11: Macross Do You Remember Love? and Do You Remember Love? Special Preview) that also correctly identify the guns. So worry not! :)

Edited by Mr March

• 4 weeks later...

Me too. For the record, the best CG model of the SDF-1 Macross I ever saw was a stylized version made by a fella on these forums like 8 years ago. Still have some of those images saved. So feel free to work with inspiration. It'll pay off I'm willing to bet.

Me too. For the record, the best CG model of the SDF-1 Macross I ever saw was a stylized version made by a fella on these forums like 8 years ago. Still have some of those images saved. So feel free to work with inspiration. It'll pay off I'm willing to bet.

Would you post those images Marchy? I honestly don't remember them.

Edited by Zinjo

Yes, that's the one. Jay-Lew's SDF-1 Macross model still remains my favorite fan interpretation of the classic design in a 3D model. There have been better finished and more accurate 3D models of the SDF-1, but Jay's was by far the most interesting. It's a shame he never finished it. Or maybe he did finish it and he's just not around here anymore. Either way, I wish there was more. Phenomenal work.

It is, indeed. I think he´v captured the Series spirit quite well. And, of course, it´s a damn great piece of design.

In my case, im learning 3d while i´m doing it, and, on the other hand, im taking as you can see, a lot of liberties with the artistic direction. I do have some drawn sketches of where im going, but, it´s so cool that when you´re learning, some things just ´happen´ :p

Hehehe, oh you're going to have lots of fun learning while doing. Growing in skill and understanding, then looking at everything "wrong" with what you built before and wanting to rebuild it all over again to get it "right". And then again. And again. And maybe again too. I think my current record is rebuilding a colored piece of line art - from first attempt 7 years ago until now - a total of 9 times!

Get used to frustration the likes of which you cannot know :)

Yes, that's the one. Jay-Lew's SDF-1 Macross model still remains my favorite fan interpretation of the classic design in a 3D model. There have been better finished and more accurate 3D models of the SDF-1, but Jay's was by far the most interesting. It's a shame he never finished it. Or maybe he did finish it and he's just not around here anymore. Either way, I wish there was more. Phenomenal work.

All Jay Lew's work was amazing, too bad he's not around here anymore. TanJ is another interesting CG artist, along with our own band of artists around here...

Hehehe, oh you're going to have lots of fun learning while doing. Growing in skill and understanding, then looking at everything "wrong" with what you built before and wanting to rebuild it all over again to get it "right". And then again. And again. And maybe again too. I think my current record is rebuilding a colored piece of line art - from first attempt 7 years ago until now - a total of 9 times!

Ask Dan Bickel how many times he's revised his VF-1, even during his posting here... :lol:

He's a professional CG artist as well.

Edited by Zinjo

Build, review, revisit, destroy to get ir ´right´, rebuild... one and a hundred times, happens to me with music also, i´ve never finish a song! hahaha i´ve never learned to ´let go´ :p

Zinjabable

At least Jay's website is still up, so he can be contacted. But it looks like his photography and concept art career took off, so he's likely busy. Yes the life of the craftsman is to revise over and over again. I love the work, but sometimes it can be a big pain :)

logan_4600

I for one look forward to your many "mistakes" and gives you a warm welcome to the ranks of the amateur artists. Your work so far is amazing. My fan-member gets hard at the thought of your next SDF-1 Macross picture ;):D

Hmmm, Perhaps taking the SDF-1 to it's former glory as a SA gunship?

This may not be an SA gunship (until I turned it into one with my little friend photoshop), but it certainly looks like it could have been.

Original beauty:

http://eastcoastcanuck.deviantart.com/art/SDF4-Concept-125355844

My rendition:

http://zinjo.deviantart.com/art/Macross-Supervision-Army-Fleet-263777460

Edited by Zinjo

Sorry, SA, i can´t recall any reference to it... :\

Those pics looks AMAZING, just PS??? The one from your rendition looks like... hmmm... cell shaded? How did you did that? Lv´d it!!!!

Thank You SO much!, it is really encouraging for me! I really reaaally want to upload every single progress i make, but, i don´t want to bore all of you! :p

Next sttep, the two ´sides´ of the tower\cabin (IF i can ´let go´ the Little OCD details and being at ease with the main tower\cain ) :p

Sorry, SA, i can´t recall any reference to it... :\

Those pics looks AMAZING, just PS??? The one from your rendition looks like... hmmm... cell shaded? How did you did that? Lv´d it!!!!

Thank You SO much!, it is really encouraging for me! I really reaaally want to upload every single progress i make, but, i don´t want to bore all of you! :p

Next sttep, the two ´sides´ of the tower\cabin (IF i can ´let go´ the Little OCD details and being at ease with the main tower\cain ) :p

SA = Supervision Army.

The cg model was done my East Coast Canuck and the mecha was done my Takim, all I did was add the second engine block and the background, then cobble together the scene in photoshop.