I thought they were making like a 30-minute direct-to-video short? Or is this something different? Surely they wouldn't put 30 minutes of new Frozen footage with a full-length movie, for free, when they could charge $24.99 for Blu-Rays and have it sell-out on day one...

I thought they were making like a 30-minute direct-to-video short? Or is this something different? Surely they wouldn't put 30 minutes of new Frozen footage with a full-length movie, for free, when they could charge $24.99 for Blu-Rays and have it sell-out on day one...

Because they want to make sure that the live-action Cinderella makes money at the box office.

• 2 weeks later...

so....did anyone watch cinderella?

I finally went to see it. It was really good. Frozen Fever was adorable.

Elsa sneezes adorable baby snowmen, BEST PRINCESS QUEEN EVER! :wub:

Edited by anime52k8

• 1 month later...

As part of my Japan trip last week, I picked up the Japanese video release of Frozen. So here's a quick review:

anayuki_zpsf7affuzr.jpg
Anna to Yuki no Jo-oh (アナと雪の女王)
Walt Disney Animation Studios/Walt Disney Pictures, 2013, 2014
Directed by Chris Buck (Tarzan, Surf's Up) and Jennifer Lee (Wreck-It Ralph, A Wrinkle in Time)
Written by Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee, and Shane Morris
Based on The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen
Music by Christophe Beck (The Peanuts Movie, Ant-Man)
Songs by Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez (The Book of Mormon, Winnie the Pooh)
Running Time: 102 minutes
Rated PG for some violence and scary images.

Cast (Japanese)
Sayaka Kanda as Princess Anna of Arendelle
Takako Matsu as Queen Elsa of Arendelle
Shinichiro Hara as Kristoff
Pierre Taki as Olaf
Eisuke Tsuda as Prince Hans of the Southern Isles
Yohei Tadano as the Duke of Weselton
Motomu Azaki as Grand Pabbie the Troll King

Overview
The Japanese release of Frozen is in Disney's 3-in-1 MovieNEX package: Blu-ray Disc + DVD + Digital Copy (cloud compatible). Both Blu-ray and DVD versions have the film available in English and Japanese.

Picture quality is no different from the U.S. release, except in the Japanese dub, the opening title screen and Wandering Oaken's Trading Post (and Sauna) sign are digitally reprinted in Japanese (the English dub retains all of the original English logos and signs). As for the Japanese dub, it's amazing. I can't really say it's completely better than the English dialogue, but there's a lot more emotion coming from the voices of Sayaka Kanda and Takako Matsu on their songs. Pierre Taki is not as funny as Josh Gad in the role of Olaf, but then again, that's a very hard act to follow.

For extras, the DVD version contains the Mickey Mouse short Get a Horse!, plus the music videos for the English, Spanish, Italian, and Malaysian versions of "Let It Go", and the film's first teaser. These features are also available on the Blu-ray version, plus a short live-action musical number featuring Jonathan Groff, Josh Gad, and Kristen Bell, production videos, and deleted scenes. You also receive a "Magic Code" that gives you access to exclusive content in the MovieNEX Club website.

The Bottom Line

If you don't mind forking out the extra cash, get the Japanese Frozen MovieNEX package, as the Japanese dub is worth every yen. And while you're at it, knock yourself out with the countless Frozen merchandise in Japan.

Rating: A

Edited by areaseven

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I don't see the need to make it an issue. Elsa's romantic leanings don't really have any effect on the story, and can thus be left ambiguous. If you want her to be a lesbian, she can be. While Anna is clearly shown to have a preference, it is an important part of the story. The fact that Elsa shows more love towards her sister rather than a male character does not mean that she prefers the ladies. The fact that her inner repression & literal closeting is a good metaphor for the experience does not mean that it has to be true in this case. Never know, after hiding away so long, she might not be interested in either.

Then again, the movie got so much fauxtrage because of this implied metaphor - they could just embrace it...

I'm gonna be completely honest and completely petty right now and say that my ability to enjoy frozen 2 hinges on how they answer that question. If they leave it ambiguous and I can continue to ship it, I'll be happy. But if they go with the hetero-normative angle I'm washing my hands of this whole thing. :(