1/48 Launch Arm for upcoming Hase Kits

mslz22

Hey guys, so i have 3 of the new kits on order and really, really want a launch arm. I started tinkering some yesterday during some down time. Since i need at least 3 for myself this will be molded anyway.

So I was hoping to get some input from anyone who may be interested in a kit of this.

1. I am planning on keeping the main arm fairly short, not real short but not as long as it "should" be. The reason is simply display space real estate, the longer the arm the less likely it's a practical display option. I'm looking at an overall length of about 13 inches including the main arm, the swing arm and the grabbers. That would make for a display to the wing tip of about 18 inches Let me know your thoughts.

2.For the display base that the arm will plug into, I am planning a hollow (to allow for electronics) base that will basically be a "wedge" to represent a slice of the hanger bay, the full door thing like on the 72nd scale one seems impractical in size. . Thinking something along these lines.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/magazines/dengeki_aug2001a1.jpg

Again any thoughts would be appreciated

Some preview pics.

thanks

mike

003_zpsecf161e9.jpg

007_zpsc1ddeecf.jpg

010_zps53db54c8.jpg

Are you planning on molding aluminum tube into it? You could even make it "short" and telescoping tubing would allow it to be adjusted at various lengths. You'll get lots of hits for this kit! - MT

Ok, so this has really gotten me worked up, stayed up late last night, and skipped pizza night with the boys. Here is what i have come up with so far, the main boom is not entirely cannon but found that it looked a little plain jain without extra detail. Built in a few "ports" to plug wires and such into. Still rough in a few spots and ignore the gap by the swing gear.

Right now i am thinking a 2 tier kit, the main boom + swing arm + all the attachment stuff to the valk being tier 1 and lower price. Tier 2 with the base + the boom receiver. That way i can keep it more affordable to those who may want to build their own base.

This is engineered to have brass cast into the main boom, all the way thru.

Let me know any thoughts.

thanks

mike

012_zps2cd788a9.jpg

014_zps799f8258.jpg

017_zps2a39e3da.jpg

016_zps842b545b.jpg

019_zpsd1b4494c.jpg

I'm very interested. Had a lot of fun with the 1/72 scale one.

One bit of advice, though. Be careful with the gripper fingers if you want to make a Strike fit in here. The cannon rides high over the Fast Pack, so you'll need to adjust for that. See here:

post-12411-0-42589900-1376815469_thumb.jpg

Of course, I didn't realize that bit of info until I was almost completed with the build.

Skipped Pizza Night with the boys; now that's a SERIOUS Macross fan! That sounds like something I'd do!!! That looks great and I'd say worth the lost sleep!

By the way, are you using modeling board or MDF for the build? It's hard to tell. - MT

Skipped Pizza Night with the boys; now that's a SERIOUS Macross fan! That sounds like something I'd do!!! That looks great and I'd say worth the lost sleep!

By the way, are you using modeling board or MDF for the build? It's hard to tell. - MT

It's renshape, need to get some more soon too, absolutely love the stuff for most applications. The only exception is when i do the big stuff that is cost prohibitive for renshape, for that i use the precision board plus foamboard.

I should have this set in a couple of weeks for molding, it's really nice to work on a pattern that does not take months to finish, or years!

I really need a couple of 1/72nd launch arms too, anyone have any idea on the SSM one? I don't want to get that recast one from Kit'spower or whoever that is, and don't want to scratch a new one if possible.

mike

I'm very interested. Had a lot of fun with the 1/72 scale one.

One bit of advice, though. Be careful with the gripper fingers if you want to make a Strike fit in here. The cannon rides high over the Fast Pack, so you'll need to adjust for that. See here:

Of course, I didn't realize that bit of info until I was almost completed with the build.

So I just built the gripper mechanism/gripper arms. First round is set up for just regular super packs. As for the strike, I will come up with a plan soon, I want the arms cast into the overall mechanism so i may need to mold it, cast a copy as an archival master, mod the original and remold for the strike cannon. I think all it would mean is making people indicate if they wanted strike or super when they order.

mike

Looking great Mike. I was just wrestling with the issue of how to avoid having the kit wheels down, as the VF-1 super/strikes look goofy on their undercarriage. I have done in flight standd before but this is way better.

Also since I am lihhting my valk, is there any way to run power up the arm? I cant use batteries for my set up unfortunately.

Cheers,

Berttt

The main arm will have a 5/32 brass tube run all the way thru it, so you will have no problem running a wire up to that point. The swing arm is going to be cast in 2 parts so you will have easy access to hollow out a track for wires in the part that winds up hidden once assembled. Depending on what you have planned any wires from that point are easily disguised as hoses or such.

mike

Pics of the grabber unit, not done yet are the "clamps" that attach to the boosters.

Just like the main boom arm, I started out kind of plain jane and added details until i thought it was something that will look good with the level of detail on the hasegawa kits. Again, not cannon, but straight line art would likely look cartoonish next to the hasegawa kits.

mike

002_zpsa4eb4b23.jpg

005_zpsc8135845.jpg

004_zps0892c342.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of time to spend on this this week, but got some more done. Still some refinements to do, got the lower part done for the most part. Tricky part, this was the 2nd or 3rd revision, tried to follow the available reference like screen caps etc, but was not happy with it. Again, not cannon but think it will work. It's near 18 inches long with the lower part attached, it will be cast as a separate part and may be part of the 2nd tier kit with the base etc.

mike

004_zps7b84eb54.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Working on it a bit today, making a reinforcement plate for the inside of the chest/backplate today. It needs to have it IMO to distribute the force of the weight more evenly thru that part, rather than a single mount point thru the body, up thru the umbilical.

It's going to take a countersunk mechanical screw running from the reinforcement plate, thru whatever i come up with for the umbilical, to the grabber mechanism to hold the weight. I am going to err on the side of stability and try to over engineer the the connection. I really don't want any fully finished valks winding up on the ground because of me!

mike

May not look like much, but it's got it where it counts...

Support plate that snaps into the chest/backplate area, this is what a machine screw will attach to on the valk, taking the pressure off the relatively fragile styrene.

The grabber mechanism now has this beefy middle that will accept the machine screw, it will all get hidden by the umbilical, which will be some type of tubing to hide the screw, maybe some heat-shrink tubing since it's flexible and looks like a rubber hose.

this all still needs a little finish work but wanted to show the concept.

thanks

mike

002_zpsc2e5662d.jpg

004_zps6b818b31.jpg

005_zps5f4ff383.jpg

006_zps9392148a.jpg

007_zpsc4f2549b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update, just about done with the 3 foot galactica run, few other things i need to finish up before i get to mold this up, but getting close.

So here is the support system, Cool thing is that the machine bolt will look like a hose painted, or you can rig up something different if you want. Support plate is not pretty but really feels very stable.

Just need to make the "clamps" and a few tiny details on the arm, and this portion will be ready to mold. The base will a separate add on/kit.

thanks

mike

002_zps74dea47b.jpg

004_zps2c012072.jpg

• 3 weeks later...