Clear Flat Spray Can

DarrinG

Sorry if this has been asked to death - but -

I used to use Tamiya Dull Coat back in the day and loved it. Now that is gone and their flat clear seem unavailable.

Is Mr. Hobby Cleat Flat really good? $15 a good price?

(I do not have an airbrush to put future or other mixes through) . . .

Sorry if this has been asked to death - but -

I used to use Tamiya Dull Coat back in the day and loved it. Now that is gone and their flat clear seem unavailable.

Is Mr. Hobby Cleat Flat really good? $15 a good price?

(I do not have an airbrush to put future or other mixes through) . . .

Tamiya TS-80 Clear Flat is still available. Sometimes they just go out of stock at retailers because the distribution seems to be irregular.

But, at least here in the states, Tamiya's TS-80 is much easier to acquire than Mr. Hobby's Top Coat Flat. Mr. Hobby's Top Coat Flat is acrylic based so I prefer it more than than Tamiya's TS-80 which is lacquer based.

Mr. Hobby's Top Coat shouldn't cost more than $10 but I guess I'd pay $15 if necessary.

Mr. Hobby top coat is an acrylic clear. the can looks like this:

tool-mr-hobby-top-coat-flat.jpg

I'm not really a fan of it.

Mr. Hobby also makes a product called Mr. Super Clear:

hobby_2684_pmr_super_clear_is_a_solventt

Super clear is Lacquer based. From my experience it's a little hotter than TS-80 and can be a little more finicky to work with but it's a good substitute overall.

From what I've read (in preparation to customising my Yammies) you can't use lacquer over acrylic. In terms of layering you can only layer from hottest to coolest. As mentioned lacquers are quite "hot" so you'd need to have had a lacquer paint to use a lacquer top coat.

For the acrylic paint you can only use an acrylic top coat like Mr Hobby Topcoat.

I also read that decals can be easily destroyed by lacquer top coats.

If you can find it - and you use an airbrush - this is awesome stuff:

J.W. etc.'s Right Step Water Base Clear Varnish - MATT

It's CHEAP! It's effective and it covers anything! The above link is not where I bought mine from - I got it from a local hobby store.

It's a clear acrylic cover - it's pretty inert. I use it for both acrylic and laquer-based paints. Basically I use it for a flat finish on all my work. I could only get it in a half-liter size which cost me around 10 dollars. I think it will last me for the span of my natural life!

Tamiya TS-80 Clear Flat is still available...........

But, at least here in the states, Tamiya's TS-80 is much easier to acquire than Mr. Hobby's Top Coat Flat.

It is??? I haven't been able to find it for a year now. I also read that it was discontinued. If I'm wrong, please let me know as I loved Tamiya clear and clear flat.

Chris

It is??? I haven't been able to find it for a year now. I also read that it was discontinued. If I'm wrong, please let me know as I loved Tamiya clear and clear flat.

Chris

Wonderland Models in Scotland seems to have it, and will ship to USA.

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/tamiya-ts-80-100ml-clear-flat/

I will try it and let you guys know if it goes smoothly.

I had never heard of TS-80 before so this back and forth has been helpful . . .

Chris

I didn't know it was discontinued. I had no problems getting a few cans of TS-80 earlier this year at my local hobby store. Maybe I got the last ones?

If Tamiya's TS-80 is discontinued, then that would be majorly disappointing. It would mean I'd have to resort to using Testors Dullcote from now on.

So much for that . . .

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your order. However, as stated on the website we are unable to ship paints, glues and varnish to your country. They are classed as a hazardous/flammable substance and therefore prohibited from being sent airmail. Please accept our apologies. We have cancelled your order and you have not been charged.

Kind regards,

Wonderland Models Customer Support

Testors dullcoat DOES SUCK! I give an evil eye to the Testor's rack when I'm at Michael's or other "hobby" shops :wacko:

The bad news, TS-80 IS discoed:http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/paints-amp-finishes-60/tamiya-color-spray-ts-61500

The good news though, Wonderland Models is a good company ^_^ Seriously though, I haven't lived near a REAL model hobby shop in a long time! So I've had to make due. Krylon's artist's clears are great and I've used them all to inlcude fixative for decals. Just experiment first. A little experiment will save you lots of money versus paying $8.50 (Tamiya) or $15 plus shipping for one tiny can. A lot of them have simular formulations too.

If you're still stuck on getting something near you, try requesting surface mail. I DO know someone that stocks Tamiya spray paints and is cool about special orders. Try http://www.tinastrainsandhobbies.com/ Tina's is an hour and a half away from me and she does carry Tamiya Spray paints. She told me that whatever is on one of the linked sites you see (on her website) she will order for you. I think when California passed another one of their labeling laws, it made things tougher for Tamiya and slowed down their U.S. sales/stocking. Even my machine mill has a CA warning label saying the cuttings can cause cancer, birth defects, or reproductive harm! I hope this helps! - MT

Edited by MechTech

If you need to stick to a spray can for dull coat, i agree with MechTech that the Krylon spray Matt finish is pretty good, trick with it is a few light coats from a 10 to 12 inches away. I use Future with tamiya flattening agent now but used to use pretty much only Krylon. I switched for a couple of reasons, but like using future and future + flattening agent much more now, and they stink a lot, lot less than any spray cans. I liked it so much i purchased one of the cheaper Iwata's for just clears, and a cheaper Iwata is better than most other airbrushes IMO, I save the real expensive Iwata for color only now.

mike

Testors dullcoat DOES SUCK! I give an evil eye to the Testor's rack when I'm at Michael's or other "hobby" shops :wacko:

The bad news, TS-80 IS discoed:http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/paints-amp-finishes-60/tamiya-color-spray-ts-61500

Discontinued just here in the US or all over the world?

There was one time where I purchased a 6-pack of Mr. Hobby Topcoat on Ebay and had it shipped all the way from Hong Kong via seafreight. It took weeks to arrive but it got here.

Edited by Vifam7

I was yesterday at a hobby shop and bought a can of TS-80 just to make sure that I have one available when I'm building my MG. I thought about buying all the cans but that seemed a little to paranoid when I don't know if I need them.

Any information if it really is discontinued? I have to check where my can is from because the store I bought them at also imports them.

Good luck with your package DarrinG! :)

Also a Krylon user.

I use it for my finished graphite and charcoal drawings and also for my models.

Bonus is that because it is made for protecting artwork it is archival grade,

thus it is designed not to yellow with age.

Edited by Chas

From what I've read (in preparation to customising my Yammies) you can't use lacquer over acrylic. In terms of layering you can only layer from hottest to coolest. As mentioned lacquers are quite "hot" so you'd need to have had a lacquer paint to use a lacquer top coat.

For the acrylic paint you can only use an acrylic top coat like Mr Hobby Topcoat.

I don't think that is accurate... otherwise Gunze's own topcoats wouldn't work on any of their paints, as they don't offer a lacquer paint line (its all acrylic.) What you can't do is go heavy on the application, otherwise it will run. just do light misting and you will be fine.

Also, I think Mr Top Coat (versus Mr Super clear) is an acrylic base... but I'm pretty sure you can make that run too if its the application is too heavy.

Which type of Krylon do you guys use? They have different types IIRC.

Chris

http://www.krylon.ca/ca/eng/products/workable_fixatif/

This is the stuff I use. BUt you could also use this http://www.krylon.ca/ca/eng/products/matte_finish/ as I've done in the past works well and also won't yellow. Those two give a matte finish for a gloss you could use this: http://www.krylon.ca/ca/eng/products/low_odor_clear_finish/, or this http://www.krylon.ca/ca/eng/products/uvresistant_clear/ Not sure about their tripple coat crystal clear as I've never used it, but might be worth testing for high gloss applications.

There's some really cool ideas here! Just go to the link and Tamiya's website says "discontinued" under TS-80. It's their American website, so maybe there's hope through other channels. I wish the Pactra hobby spray paints were still around, I LOVED their stuff! That's when I "graduated" from brush to spray cans :) - MT

Also a Krylon user.

I use it for my finished graphite and charcoal drawings and also for my models.

Bonus is that because it is made for protecting artwork it is archival grade,

thus it is designed not to yellow with age.

Krylon Crystal Clear does yellow, in spite of what they say. I coated a white model rocket with it, and - while repairing damage from a crash and sanding off some clearcoat into the white paint under it, I noticed that the Krylon clear had yellowed noticeably. The rocket hadn't spent that much time in the sun, either.

A lot of my rocketry friends have sworn off Krylon products because they don't react well to each other, yellow after time, or generally don't behave in a consistent manner even under the most controlled conditions - especially in the last couple of years as it seems Krylon has changed a number of their formulas.

In short: buyer beware.

American Acrylics make an incredible multi-material gloss spray, if you ever need one of those. Amazing stuff.

Krylon UV Protect doesn't play well with model paints either... don't get that one. How long do you guys wait until you decide that the clear wont yellow? Over all I don't like the way Krylon clear coat looks. I have to try that right step but for me Future takes way too long to cure.

This is not 'quite' right. You can use lacquers over acrylic, you just need to seal your acrylics, and go with very light coats on the lacquer, and - importantly - have done plenty of TESTS beforehand. While it is easy to wreck your work using lacquer over acrylic, if you know what you're doing it can be done.

I've never had lacquers destroy decals.

If you want to see what lacquer over acrylic looks like, take a look at the VF-2 in my signature.

This is not 'quite' right. You can use lacquers over acrylic, you just need to seal your acrylics, and go with very light coats on the lacquer, and - importantly - have done plenty of TESTS beforehand. While it is easy to wreck your work using lacquer over acrylic, if you know what you're doing it can be done.

I've never had lacquers destroy decals.

If you want to see what lacquer over acrylic looks like, take a look at the VF-2 in my signature.

I'm a little confused here. I thought clear coats (most of which are lacquer-based) are what you use to seal your paints in the first place.

I noticed, however, that Tamiya's TS line are supposedly "acrylic lacquers", which I take to mean that they're safe to apply directly on acrylic paints.

I'm a little confused here. I thought clear coats (most of which are lacquer-based) are what you use to seal your paints in the first place.

I noticed, however, that Tamiya's TS line are supposedly "acrylic lacquers", which I take to mean that they're safe to apply directly on acrylic paints.

No, what it likely means is that its an acrylic medium with a lacquer solvent. Mr Color is the same; its an acrylic paint suspended in a lacquer.

No, what it likely means is that its an acrylic medium with a lacquer solvent. Mr Color is the same; its an acrylic paint suspended in a lacquer.

So it's basically like the usual Tamiya acrylic paints thinned in lacquer thinner?

Anyways, are TS clear sprays safe to apply on acrylics?

• 3 weeks later...

DRAT - My TS-80 turned away . . .

Dear Sir,

Sorry to inform you that the item was returned back to us, attached please find the photos. The post office divided that the item is the dangerous article, so it is not admissible by air, would you mind to have a refund for these 2 items?

We are looking forward to your reply, and sorry for leading your inconvenience.

Best regards,
Mary

- emotion-power

Edited by DarrinG