Advice

Dimis

Hi guys,

I don't do any modeling but i have a question about a non-macross model, but it's more about the technique. I got a built and painted master grade of Tallgeese from Yahoo Auctions and one of the panel lines is slighty less inked at some point. I've circled it. Is there some way i can correct this or should i just leave it alone? Otherwise can someone who has modelling skills correct this without making it apparent? (Sorry, i am so clueless) It does have a flat top coat. Unfortunately i cannot contact the seller to ask exactly what he used.

Thanks,

post-14781-0-33654500-1384272036_thumb.jpg

Maybe you could use a small gray Gundam marker for panel lines.

The other solution is to find a matching color and mix it with thinner and inject some tiny bits of pain into the panel line.

You can check out some tutorials about Gunpla and panel-lining on youtube.

I've never build any Gunpla so take that with a pile of salt.

However there is a Gunpla thread in the Science-Fiction section of this message board.

Maybe this is better suited there.

Personally I would just pose it in a way where I don't see this area. ;)

Scyla's pretty much said it.

If you want an easy way, go with the Gundam marker for panel lines, the thinnest one. Just line it down like a normal pen. You can just clean any excess and make it look even with a damp towel or cloth or your fingers but that'll be abit more messy.

That solution might or might not work since there's a layer of clear coat on it. I've tried before that it's kinda hard to remove the excess of the Gundam marker after you've painted and layered a clear coat over the model. Maybe I've just missed something but to my experience it's not easy to do so.

Another way would be the paint. You can just work with any acrylic or oil paint which can be easier to get than Gundam markers. Thin it with some water, dip a brush and just run it down the line. Same process of removing excess, use a damp towel/cloth after you've let it dry for some time. How hard you remove the excess is up to you to even it out with the other panels.

You can google it up or youtube. There are lots of helpful tutorials, tips and videos on the oil/acrylic paint wash method.

I might have missed some things so hopefully some of the more skilled modellers would come by and have more inputs about it.

Scyla's pretty much said it.

If you want an easy way, go with the Gundam marker for panel lines, the thinnest one. Just line it down like a normal pen. You can just clean any excess and make it look even with a damp towel or cloth or your fingers but that'll be abit more messy.

That solution might or might not work since there's a layer of clear coat on it. I've tried before that it's kinda hard to remove the excess of the Gundam marker after you've painted and layered a clear coat over the model. Maybe I've just missed something but to my experience it's not easy to do so.

Another way would be the paint. You can just work with any acrylic or oil paint which can be easier to get than Gundam markers. Thin it with some water, dip a brush and just run it down the line. Same process of removing excess, use a damp towel/cloth after you've let it dry for some time. How hard you remove the excess is up to you to even it out with the other panels.

You can google it up or youtube. There are lots of helpful tutorials, tips and videos on the oil/acrylic paint wash method.

I might have missed some things so hopefully some of the more skilled modellers would come by and have more inputs about it.

The only concern I have with doing a wash is the presence of a flatcoat. Depending on what they used (like if its a proper modelling flat vs an industrial treatment) the area itself will tend to soak up a bit of the paint and give a darker appearance. That's actually not a bad thing; its an excellent excuse to do some weathering across the entire model. Its suuuuper easy. IF you have some artists oil paint and thinner for it (white mineral spirits) you can thin the paint to a consistency and dab it into the panel line. The advantages of this approach is that you can try several times to get the right match with the rest of the line. A Gundam marker is binary: its going to be all or nothing.

Also you can use the wash to create darkened areas, discolourations and the like if you do it gently. Check in a non-obvious area if the wash/thinner damages the flatcoat, and if it doesn't, then make light small dabs of the very thinned paint across the model and wipe it off lightly with a rag or paper.

OMG people you are all being way to complicated here.

It's one small panel line on the back of the model.

Valkyrie addict had it right.

Just get a mechanical pencil that will fit in the panel line and make a few passes til it looks right.

Personally I'd just leave it. weathering is supposed to be uneven that's its nature. If all the panel lines are equally darkened it just looks fake and toy-like. But that's just me.

Lol! Now that Chas has mentioned it. I look back and think yeah. It is too complicated. Dunno why the mechanical pencil didnt come across my mind since I've used it before.. Thats the easiest easiest option. Or just leave it, again like what Chas said.