1/48 boss pod build/guide w/lights

mslz22

So this is a build for a member here. wanted to document the build for anyone else who may be tackling a kit. I am adding lights to this one, the eye, the engine thrusters, the sensors at the front of the engine and the little sensor on top of the main gun. Just a little chronicle of the build and some tips along the way.

For the wires, these parts are rotocast and there is plenty of room to run them. The only fit issue that i have run into is the area that the engines and body meet, there is a bit of a high spot on the body, on the right side only, which makes the engine "rock" back and forth a bit rather than sit nicely. There are a couple of ways to tackle it, you can fill the edges, but that gets messy, you can sand the high spot, but you risk sanding the edge where the 2 meet, or you can simply use a medium router bit with a dremmel to just reduce center area on the body. It does not even need to be as dramatic as in the pic here.

Once that's done, it fit very nicely with no additional filler, the left side did not have any issue with the fit.

The only area on the engines that needed any filler is the little spot in the pic below. I recommenced using apoxy sculpt, it's easy to work with a little sculpting tool, does not get all over everything like bondo and with the sculpting tool you can apply it only where you need it, keeping it out of the recessed detail/trench on the engine, it will only need a few minutes of sanding and will be ready for primer.

I'm a little behind on this build so hopefully the remainder of this build will go quick for me.

If anyone has any ?'s about the build feel free to ask so i can address them.

thanks

mike

026_zps84c928f2.jpg

029_zps42e816bc.jpg

031_zps37a24e5a.jpg

033_zps28d4fdad.jpg

035_zps9709a8e8.jpg

036_zps15fe8b55.jpg

It's stating the obvious, but that thing's huge!!! It looks like you're using regular speaker wire versus the smaller gauge stuff that it appeared to be first until your hand showed up in the picture to scale it against. This will be great to see come together! - MT

• 2 weeks later...

Little more progress over the last week with a few more tips. The sensor dome thingys that go under the back of the body need a little fitting. Best way to approach it is to mark some locations so you don't get into a lot of back and forth. Then it's just a matter of marking any high spot and taking it down until it fits really snugly. Part of the issue with something this big is that the big part shrinks just a little more than the smaller mass parts, in this case the sensor thingy. From there i mark the center radiator fin, glue it in place, and move the outer fin as far over as possible to the installed sensor dome, even notching the dome just a bit for the fin to sit on. I then measured the distance between the 2 fins, replicated the spacing on the 3rd fin, then installed the 2nd dome.

For the body painting I primed it up, being sure to mask the arm socket for good glue adhesion later. I painted it with a light blue, polar blue from Montana Gold. It will get kicked to a blueish grey after a filter. I am trying to mimic the Max Wantanabe Mak style painting. I have always done filters in my paint jobs, but the difference with this style that i am trying out is the relative darkness of the filter, that and letting it sit overnight and gently removing material until I wind up with the shading i want for each set of panels. I used to do an overall filter, then go back and shade the panel lines more. Either way has it's advantages but i am pretty happy with the Max technique right now. This is now ready for Future clear so i can start some decals in a couple of days.

thanks

mike

001_zps6298b9f6.jpg

003_zpse507ebca.jpg

005_zpsd730c7a6.jpg

009_zpsa1651255.jpg

012_zps71bc6c22.jpg

016_zps39474147.jpg

018_zpse1f16701.jpg

Love this kit, whats next

Thanks, i am spread pretty thin these days, at least for the next month, really thinking about tackling something just a little less complicated next, really want a 1/48 launch arm and display base for the upcoming hasegawa super kit that are coming. I already got the plans printed out, may start this week if i have any extra time....

mike

Thanks, i am spread pretty thin these days, at least for the next month, really thinking about tackling something just a little less complicated next, really want a 1/48 launch arm and display base for the upcoming hasegawa super kit that are coming. I already got the plans printed out, may start this week if i have any extra time....

mike

could this launch arm work with the 1/48 yamato's ? Edited by Smut Peddler

could this launch arm work with the 1/48 yamato's ?

Not likely, the yamatos are too heavy in my opinion, so is the club m resin, so i am really excited for the hasegawa kits, I have been dreaming of a 1/48 on a launch arm for like 12 years at this point.

I wish we had news about a weapons set, I am guessing they will do one but don't know if it's a year away or 2 years. I would really like to hear some news about a 1/48 battroid kit, if i knew there was a battroid kit in the works i would likely sell almost all my yamato's

mike

Thanks, it's MiG pigments starship filth oil, thinned with oderless mineral spirits. You can use ordinary oils of course, but the Mig starship filth is a good mix of brownish black all on it's own, i like it better than a straight lamp black or such.

mike

Love the filter technique. Is that Tamiya NATO Black your using there? What did you use to thin it?

Bertt

After a couple of thin layers of future, i put on the decals, lots of solve a set to get it to conform to the curvature of the engines/body, cut the decal in the panel lines and add a little chipping to really give it that painted on look. I also drybrush a little of the filter over the decals so it blends in with the rest of the pod, don't want them to pop out and scream DECAL!!!!

mike

005_zps1a367996.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Lot's of work to get from the above base color to the bottom cannon. First the fore mentioned filter, then clean, then clearcoat with future for the decals, then decals, seal the decals.

Then it gets a bit more interesting, the issue with the darker colors, just like the boosters on the vf-1's is then can look boring and blobby without the drybrushing. It's even more complicated in this scale, I realized during this build that the cannon alone is as big as a 1/48 scale tank. I mixed the base color with some white to brighten it up. Then drybrushed, sometimes doing to much, in which case i knocked it back with some extrafine steel-wool, back and forthed it a bit until i was happy, then tuned up the shading on the panel lines now that i had a background that it would show up on better. Finally dusted it with future+ flatbase.

thanks

mike

003_zps82079ffb.jpg

• 1 month later...

More progress, behind on this for the member here but hope to get it mostly finished up this weekend. More than this is done but just a catch up.

Running wires for the light on top of the cannon. arms have been built, they have locator pins where the meet the "ball" of the shoulder socket, that way then can be set up for photos but still broken down for shipping. A lot of what held up the build was figuring out how to build stuff to be broken down for safe shipping.

I also wanted to make the arm connections as rock solid as possible, i forgot to take pics, but the method that i settled on was pretty straightforward. I attached the ball section of the mid arm to the sockets of the upper and lower arms with 5 minute epoxy, picked the position i wanted as the glue was setting, tacked it in place with a bit of CA to hold the position. After that was all set i countersunk 3/32 brass rods thru the arm connections. There is a 5/32bd brass rod cast into the mid arm, so the intersecting 3/32 rod along with the epoxy should be pretty solid.

The ball at the top of the arm connections will get some gunmetal paint soon.

thanks

mike

001_zpscc4ba6f4.jpg

006_zpsd25744e6.jpg

004_zpsb90ebe12.jpg

008_zps8eecf797.jpg

011_zps63adef66.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Back on track after too many snow days.

Sticking with the making this as sturdy as possible, 2 countersunk screws for the hip to body connection. I will cover this with details.

Upper legs with some 3/8 brass to connect to the lower legs.

Temp rigging to get the legs posed and fixed in with a combo of 5 minute epoxy and brass, brass will get hidden under the sensor thingys.

thanks

mike

001_zps39944552.jpg

003_zps0c543b39.jpg

006_zps40b40668.jpg

007_zps68af6817.jpg