Retppu VF-11 Battroid, 1/72

cool8or

Hello guys. This is not my best year, and in part is because of this kit. I'm having great problems with the adherence of Laquer Paints on resin kits, mainly those that were made in Japan in the 80's and 90's. With Moscato Kits instead, I never had adherence problems, and obviously neither in plastic models, like Hasegawa.

I lost entire weeks because during the masking, the tape toke off all the paint. It was a dissaster.

Fortunately, you can't see any of these problems in the pictures. So please enjoy it, I didn't! :angry:

9eux.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.com
fmmr.jpg
s3bt.jpg
nr0a.jpg
mcno.jpg
pngh.jpg
0jlg.jpg

Ahiachris, do you know what can I do to avoids these problems? There are a product that could help me to enhance the laquer paint adherence? Please any comment will be welcomed.

We usually soak the resin parts into laquer paint thinner for around 15 minutes before doing any clean up. Afterwards, we will let them dry in the air. We bought the thinner at hardware stores. It is use for spray painting. The product number is 3054 which I believe is harmful to both the atnosphere and your body.

Great info Ahiachris, I'll try it. But what do you mean with "before doing any clean up"? Are you refering that after the thinner soak, I still need to wash the pieces with detergent?

Thank you again!

Great info Ahiachris, I'll try it. But what do you mean with "before doing any clean up"? Are you refering that after the thinner soak, I still need to wash the pieces with detergent?

Thank you again!

Ooops, the clean up I meant is removing the sprues on the pieces and filling up the holes.

There's no need to wash the pieces again after the thinner soak. Remember the thinner we choose is very volatile. Use it in a open space and wear masks.

Another way of removing the mold release is to use concentrated multi-purpose cleaner.

http://www.swipe.com.hk/web/eng/blue.html

This kind of detergent is so strong that it will attack paint surface.

Soak the kit parts in the detergent and then clean up with water.

For the surface treatment I'll usually spray a thin coat of Resin Surface Primer on the parts before painting.

http://www.car-model-kit.com/150-surfacers/12535-mr-resin-primer-surfacer-gunze/

Thank you Ahiachris for your advices, I'm totally clear, and don't worry that I'm very careful about safety.

Valkyrie Addict, don't worry because I have the intention to build all my collection, and strangers models have most of my attention.

Edited by cool8or

Another piece of information:

If you're going to thinner bath the parts, do remember to cut out a few pieces of sprues and throw them into the bath to see if the thinner will attack the resin or not. Some manufacturers (pirate copies) will use low quality resin other than high quality resin used by Japanese manufacturers. The resin will warp very quickly. Some very thin parts will warp very quickly too. Don't soak for more than 15 minutes for good quality resin kits.

For thin and low quality resin parts do use concentrated cleaner to soak for as long as you like. Then use a toothbrush to brush them in running water.

Wow that looks like total perfection to me, nice job and thanks for sharing.

Post a pic of all your macros models together in one shot would you please?

Also, can you share your photography techniques?

Edited by Grayson72

All my kits in only one picture? Mmmhmmm... The only way to do that is taking a picture to my shelf. Just give me a couple days.

Please do, I would find that inspirational at the very least. Between you and other said amazing modellers on this site it can be a driving force when guys like me see your completed kits. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am thoroughly impressed. I am inspired to set up my workbench and start on my own kits. That collection is amazing! The Gnerl! The Cat's Eye! The Ghost! I'm in awe...

Thank you so much for posting that.

Un día me gustaría tener una colección como ésta.

Wow! Thanks for that!

What is the VF to the left of the batmobile? I love how you have a Gen II LAV thrown in there! :)

That's not a VF, that's an F-203 Dragon II, the fighter Roy was flying during the Unification War. It's in Episode 33 of the original series, in a flashback to how Claudia met Roy. (I don't remember seeing that scene in the Robotech version of that episode, so it might have been cut.)

What I want to know is if that was a scratchbuild, or if not - where the kit came from. (Not that I could afford a resin kit that size anyway...)

Edited by SebastianP