Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

11 hours ago, Pontus said:

Can't wait to watch the new Delta movie!

Hug a love one while watching it. You know... for moral support and to ease the pain. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

As for the Delta movie... :rolleyes:

:spiteful:

13 hours ago, Pontus said:

Can't wait to watch the new Delta movie!

IMG_20230526_230120218.jpg.c79a74d753a95fa6f577cf9590a42086.jpg

Been casually interested in that Freyja figure. But on rare times it comes up on Mandarake, the price is always quite above the average Kuji figures.

Walmart sucks.  If the order is stuck on a processing or preparing to ship screen for days then most likely the order will be cancelled.

B30149E2-809E-4BFB-BA18-C9CB22DAB6A7.jpeg.4082af6367631fa933df6326eddc9ae0.jpeg

SHF Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

On 5/28/2023 at 1:23 PM, sh9000 said:

Walmart sucks.  If the order is stuck on a processing or preparing to ship screen for days then most likely the order will be cancelled.

Looks like Walmart just forced an ebay exclusive on me.

Edited by Mommar

On 5/27/2023 at 1:08 PM, MKT said:

Been casually interested in that Freyja figure. But on rare times it comes up on Mandarake, the price is always quite above the average Kuji figures.

Yeah, I bought this one when it came up on my Mandarake alerts for what I thought was a very good price of 8000¥... until US DHL shipping was added making it 15k¥/$116!  But this one seemed worth it imho.  

Btw, what the heck is this Ichiban Kuji prize thing?  I see references to it being some sort of lottery for prizes, but why would anyone want to enter a lottery for a random prize when you usually only want a specific one?  And they seem to be for sale individually, which makes the whole lottery thing make even less sense.

Is this a protoculture thing that I just can't seem to wrap my giant, Zentradi brain around?

Edited by Pontus

13 minutes ago, Pontus said:

Yeah, I bought this one when it came up on my Mandarake alerts for what I thought was a very good price of 8000¥... until US DHL shipping was added making it 15k¥/$116!  But this one seemed worth it imho.  

Btw, what the heck is this Ichiban Kuji prize thing?  I see references to it being some sort of lottery for prizes, but why would anyone want to enter a lottery for a random prize when you usually only want a specific one?  And they seem to be for sale individually, which makes the whole lottery thing make even less sense.

Is this a protoculture thing that I just can't seem to wrap my giant, Zentradi brain around?

I did the lottery thing once while in Tokyo. It was for a Sheryl figure that had 3 slight color variants. Paid 6k yen, drew a ticket, and got one of them. Luckily I got the color I wanted on the first try. The figures themselves aren't for sale at normal retail shops. Have to get them secondhand from places like Mandarake.

If I recall, there are different prices for different prize levels as it would be hella lame to pay 6k yen and get one of the cheap 100 yen prizes.

As for why Bandai does this... well, making things available for a limited time usually boosts sales. Ask McDonald's about the McRib to find out more! :lol:

Did you get the Sheryl figure that was released alongside that Freyja?

1 minute ago, Lolicon said:

I did the lottery thing once while in Tokyo. It was for a Sheryl figure that had 3 slight color variants. Paid 6k yen, drew a ticket, and got one of them. Luckily I got the color I wanted on the first try. The figures themselves aren't for sale at normal retail shops. Have to get them secondhand from places like Mandarake.

If I recall, there are different prices for different prize levels as it would be hella lame to pay 6k yen and get one of the cheap 100 yen prizes.

As for why Bandai does this... well, making things available for a limited time usually boosts sales. Ask McDonald's about the McRib to find out more! :lol:

Did you get the Sheryl figure that was released alongside that Freyja?

I understand the marketing behind limited releases, even why Bandai stalls releases for things (basically to smooth and pad out their income streams).  But doing a lottery for prizes where I can't control what I get and might get something I don't even want (and I'm assuming can't return) still sounds insane to me.  

I've purposely ignored anything from Zero, 7, or Frontier to save my poor wallet, so no Sheryls for me.  I was interested in the Gorgeous version if that's what you're talking about, but only because it looked cool.  But I'm not paying $250+ (now going for over $400) for a figure purely on aesthetics... although now I think about it, that is exactly why I started collecting Delta stuff. :pardon: Done with that now... unless they come out with an Elvis SV-262.  

17 minutes ago, Pontus said:

I understand the marketing behind limited releases, even why Bandai stalls releases for things (basically to smooth and pad out their income streams).  But doing a lottery for prizes where I can't control what I get and might get something I don't even want (and I'm assuming can't return) still sounds insane to me.  

I've purposely ignored anything from Zero, 7, or Frontier to save my poor wallet, so no Sheryls for me.  I was interested in the Gorgeous version if that's what you're talking about, but only because it looked cool.  But I'm not paying $250+ (now going for over $400) for a figure purely on aesthetics... although now I think about it, that is exactly why I started collecting Delta stuff. :pardon: Done with that now... unless they come out with an Elvis SV-262.  

People do it for the same kinds of reasons they drop well over 20k yen into a crane game for a 1500 yen figure {yes I actually watched a Japanese dude do this). For fun, because they like the thrill of gambling, etc. 

Why did I stand around watching? Because the guy had gotten the figure to the edge and I was hoping he'd give up so I could swoop in and nudge it a little and win the figure for cheap. Alas he didn't give up. Sunk cost fallacy or whatever. 🙃

There was a Sheryl figure that came out alongside that Freyja to promote the Delta movie and Frontier short. I ended up picking up both simultaneously. They very rarely show up on Mandarake, which is unusual for these figures. 

Edited by Lolicon

I already have the Figma Indiana Jones that came out in 2009, so this Mafex version is an easy pass for me, but if Marion is also in the 1/12th range, I'll be sorely tempted to get her... build an artifact be damned.

2 hours ago, mechaninac said:

I already have the Figma Indiana Jones that came out in 2009, so this Mafex version is an easy pass for me, but if Marion is also in the 1/12th range, I'll be sorely tempted to get her... build an artifact be damned.

Hasbro.  There's no Mafex Indy.