Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

4 minutes ago, kkx said:

Is this going to be your first one?

I am going to get this F-18 too, nice paint scheme.

My first F-18. I swore to only stick with F-14s (have 3) and A-10s (just have 1) but other models would depend case by case. This F-18 makes the cut. 

2 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Mezco John Stewart Green Lantern and Mafex Venom arrived today.  Best Venom figure EVER!  It’s what I expected when I got the original Toybiz Venom back in ‘92.

A3F48F3E-2FD8-4F9E-9AE2-6A6FB8D8E02F.thumb.jpeg.6444038661a4951dbc495d4d6b7ab860.jpeg738DB744-35BA-44D3-9E98-A44C26440758.jpeg.c147382a4dac009baaf9e4c69d31c1ab.jpeg

Glad to hear you like the Venom. Mine is on the way. Mafex will be my classic Venom, Amazing Yamaguchi will stay on as my later, crazy monster Venom. 

On 9/15/2019 at 1:14 PM, Slave IV said:

Really? I haven’t been paying attention to the whole thing but after I heard about the Zeta Unicron, I thought it looked better in many ways and had a few better features minus the working mouth in planet mode that Hasbro has. Zeta is also a lot smaller. Looks like HasLab has stalled even with the extension. At this point, I actually hope they just fail. 

Yep, really.  And I agree with you.  After this latest attempt to foil the third parties, I think I'm going to just boycott the Hasbro release.  I actually think it's kind of a strange situation.  Hasbro has to balance their IP interests against the real world scenario where the third party companies are largely responsible for generating interest in the Transformers franchise, at least from a collecting perspective.

3 minutes ago, MacrossMania said:

Yep, really.  And I agree with you.  After this latest attempt to foil the third parties, I think I'm going to just boycott the Hasbro release.  I actually think it's kind of a strange situation.  Hasbro has to balance their IP interests against the real world scenario where the third party companies are largely responsible for generating interest in the Transformers franchise, at least from a collecting perspective.

Yeah, the big reason I got back into collecting in the first place was because of 3P. I didn't care for most the designs TT was coming with in their MP series but 3P dragged me in and here I am today. I barely care about TF anymore because I got most of what I want and can just sit back until somone makes the last few characters I want to my liking, Jazz and Galvatron. 

After looking at both Unicrons again, I think what they have proven to me is that neither are good enough. I want Zeta bot looks and features, Hasbro planet mouth fuction and size. And someone can deliver all that at a lower price, I'm sure. 

One thing I definitely don't like doing and really don't do is settle. There are too many choices in the world to spend money on to settle for something not good enough. People will say there are already options for Jazz and Galvatron but not for me...those existing ones don't make my cut. Same with all the Seeker options so far.

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Nice! I got my money on the Brood.

@sh9000, Do any of those F-14s have Phoenix Missiles?

I would need to double check, but I believe all of the A-models are carrying two phoenix missiles underneath, while the Ds have bombs mounted, and a targeting pod under the right wing instead of a second sparrow.

I actually prefer a clean F-14, and went to look at how hard it would be to pop the phoenix mounts off the belly, but turns out they're integral to the construction, and would take a decent amount of modifying to remove.  Each of the variants only has the two forward phoenix mounts, since the stand mount is directly behind them.

1 minute ago, Chronocidal said:

I would need to double check, but I believe all of the A-models are carrying two phoenix missiles underneath, while the Ds have bombs mounted, and a targeting pod under the right wing instead of a second sparrow.

I actually prefer a clean F-14, and went to look at how hard it would be to pop the phoenix mounts off the belly, but turns out they're integral to the construction, and would take a decent amount of modifying to remove.  Each of the variants only has the two forward phoenix mounts, since the stand mount is directly behind them.

Thanks for the details! I was just hoping for variety since the two I've opened so far have the bombs.

On 9/16/2019 at 11:51 PM, Slave IV said:

Yeah, the big reason I got back into collecting in the first place was because of 3P. I didn't care for most the designs TT was coming with in their MP series but 3P dragged me in and here I am today. I barely care about TF anymore because I got most of what I want and can just sit back until somone makes the last few characters I want to my liking, Jazz and Galvatron. 

After looking at both Unicrons again, I think what they have proven to me is that neither are good enough. I want Zeta bot looks and features, Hasbro planet mouth fuction and size. And someone can deliver all that at a lower price, I'm sure. 

One thing I definitely don't like doing and really don't do is settle. There are too many choices in the world to spend money on to settle for something not good enough. People will say there are already options for Jazz and Galvatron but not for me...those existing ones don't make my cut. Same with all the Seeker options so far.

I hear ya, but what has everybody up in arms about the whole Zeta Toys thing which I kinda agree with is their version of Unicron was on the whole a better one.  The poses were far more dynamic, the sculpt was great, and the transformation was far more intuitive and a lot less messy.  I saw an interview with Hasbro's PR crew at a toy event somewhere around the world and they were so impressed with themselves.  They claimed it was like engineering a complicated jigsaw puzzle.  They had this vast impression of themselves as being consummate geniuses, and here Zeta Toys showed them how easy it really was to create a realistic looking piece with half the transformation involved.  It was quite elegant.  I think Hasbro knew this.  They were on the ropes, and couldn't let a little third party company upstage their efforts with all the heavy PR they poured into this.  So they threatened to sue, and the rest is history.  

We'll see, I'm hoping Hasbro will back down after the dust settles on this one, after they get their money.  The thing about the Hasbro Unicron I don't like is it's basically a shell former.  Zeta's was definitely not that.  The shoulder was actually built from the shell itself, and so were the legs, rather than hiding the legs and arms and conveniently collapsing around it in robot mode.  Which was what Hasbro's does.  That was the huge difference for me.

I see what you're saying about perfection.  I don't like to settle either.  But I guess for me collecting involves a limited time horizon.  Other priorities begin to take shape in your life, leaving you only but so much time to amass as much of what you can.  There may be a perfect Unicron in another ten or twenty years, just like Hasbro's latest version is a leaps and bounds above the Armada version, which I also have.  But the thing about Zeta was that it took the best of both worlds, an elegant transformation, simple and intuitive and cartoon accurate, rather than some overly complex monstrosity which is what Hasbro's is shaping up to be at this point, and paired it with some really great, dynamic poses and evocative sculpting.  That's good enough in my book, and something that Bandai at its best does really well (especially with the intuitive articulation of the Metal Build line, which, although somewhat limited, lends itself to human-like movements with the kind of natural limitations you would expect in a robot).  But, it wasn't meant to be, at least not for now.  I may be looking at the perfect Unicron ten or fifteen years from now, but may not have the appetite any longer to sink so much of my hard-earned income into these pieces, or may just have simply moved on with my life, taking up other hobbies, etc., and so Zeta as an ideal will have to do for now.  Maybe forever.

Edited by MacrossMania

15 minutes ago, MacrossMania said:

I hear ya, but what has everybody up in arms about the whole Zeta Toys thing which I kinda agree with is their version of Unicron was on the whole a better one.  The poses were far more dynamic, the sculpt was great, and the transformation was far more intuitive and a lot less messy.  I saw an interview with Hasbro's PR crew at a toy event somewhere around the world and they were so impressed with themselves.  They claimed it was like engineering a complicated jigsaw puzzle.  They had this vast impression of themselves as being consummate geniuses, and here Zeta Toys showed them how easy it really was to create a realistic looking piece with half the transformation involved.  It was quite elegant.  I think Hasbro knew this.  They were on the ropes, and couldn't let a little third party company upstage their efforts with all the heavy PR they poured into this.  So they threatened to sue, and the rest is history.  

We'll see, I'm hoping Hasbro will back down after the dust settles on this one, after they get their money.  The thing about the Hasbro Unicron I don't like is it's basically a shell former.  Zeta's was definitely not that.  The shoulder was actually built from the shell itself, and so were the legs, rather than hiding the legs and arms and conveniently collapsing around it in robot mode.  Which was what Hasbro's does.  That was the huge difference for me.

I see what you're saying about perfection.  I don't like to settle either.  But I guess for me collecting involves a limited time horizon.  Other priorities begin to take shape in your life, leaving you only but so much time to amass as much of what you can.  There may be a perfect Unicron in another ten or twenty years, just like Hasbro's latest version is a leaps and bounds above the Armada version, which I also have.  But the thing about Zeta was that it took the best of both worlds, an elegant transformation, simple and intuitive and cartoon accurate, rather than some overly complex monstrosity which is what Hasbro's is shaping up to be at this point, and paired it with some really great, dynamic poses and evocative sculpting.  That's good enough in my book, and something that Bandai at its best does really well (especially with the intuitive articulation of the Metal Build line, which, although somewhat limited, lends itself to human-like movements with the kind of natural limitations you would expect in a robot).  But, it wasn't meant to be, at least not for now.  I may be looking at the perfect Unicron ten or fifteen years from now, but may not have the appetite any longer to sink so much of my hard-earned income into these pieces, or may just have simply moved on with my life, taking up other hobbies, etc., and so Zeta as an ideal will have to do for now.  Maybe forever.

Thanks for the details. I've been trying to read the threads on both but there are hundreds, if not thousands of pages I'm behind on at this point so after reading 10-20 pages of people bitching, it gets old, lol. I haven't gotten to anything about transformation or any of that yet. I do hate and mentioned it earlier about MP-44 how TT and in effect, Hasbro is beggining to make everything a shellformer or fold former. That technique is pretty lame in my book. I'm much more interested in transformations that take creativity to figure out how to use existing parts to move into where they need to go to complete the transformation, the way all these characters were designed. If transforming was just constantly folding parts until you come up with something else, anything can transform into anything and there would be no point in the way the bot looks if all those parts are "fake" panels anyways. I've had the old Unicron figure since it originally came out and I never opened it because it never seemed like a great toy to me but at that time, I settled for the $30-$50 it cost me (don't remember the exact cost but it was cheap) because that price point is acceptable to me fr what I was getting. $300+, let alone $500-$600 needs to be a real friggin masterpiece and I don't see either option as being such although I have no idea what Zeta is asking for theirs yet. I'm not worried about time frames. I was collecting when Transformers and Macross first came out, I'm still collecting to this day and I will be collecting in the forseeable future. There is always something great coming out and usually more things than I can or should be able to handle so no need to settle anymore.

Without wanting to derail this thread, I am not entirely sure that we can fully put forward claims of which version is best without having handled either. Personally, I would be sceptical of such a large and ambitious 3P product fully delivering. At that size, all it takes is a few tolerances to be off and you're left with a massive floppy mess. Plus we have not even seen it in colour.

Any of you guys around for BW Neo Unicron's prototype? It seems we're entering that territory of "mythical" status of a cancelled product by a company. 

As I said before, neither of those Unicrons are for me. 3P products have been cancelled very publicly or almost with no mention at all [CG Creations Movie Grimlock, that WW Grimlock]. The hype around Zeta's Unicron will die out by the end of the year, one can hope :-)

10 hours ago, Knightdramon said:

Without wanting to derail this thread, I am not entirely sure that we can fully put forward claims of which version is best without having handled either. Personally, I would be sceptical of such a large and ambitious 3P product fully delivering. At that size, all it takes is a few tolerances to be off and you're left with a massive floppy mess. Plus we have not even seen it in colour.

Any of you guys around for BW Neo Unicron's prototype? It seems we're entering that territory of "mythical" status of a cancelled product by a company. 

As I said before, neither of those Unicrons are for me. 3P products have been cancelled very publicly or almost with no mention at all [CG Creations Movie Grimlock, that WW Grimlock]. The hype around Zeta's Unicron will die out by the end of the year, one can hope :-)

We can't say definitelvy which is best but we can clearly see asthetic and transformation differences that we can easily state which we prefer. As you say, no need to discuss much further here other than what they have showed me is I probably don't want either of the options proposed so far.

14 hours ago, Knightdramon said:

Not to derail further but Zeta has already put out several Masterpiece scaled combiners that were pretty damn fantastic, and larger, and at least as complex as their Core Star/Unicron. There's also the confirmation that they were or were affiliated with Toyworld, which put out an incredible MP scale Devastator. Not perfect, but pretty amazing through and through, with amazing combined modes that were incredibly stable, wonderfully articulated, and built like bricks with little issue when combined. 

14 hours ago, Knightdramon said:

The hype around Zeta's Unicron will die out by the end of the year, one can hope :-)

Why hope for that? I just want Hasbro's to release or get cancelled so they can get over their huff about a fantastic looking 3P Unicron, I just want my superior looking Zeta figure, I have zero intention of bothering with Hasbro's effort. 

3 hours ago, Slave IV said:

We can't say definitelvy which is best but we can clearly see asthetic and transformation differences that we can easily state which we prefer. As you say, no need to discuss much further here other than what they have showed me is I probably don't want either of the options proposed so far.

This. Aesthetically, Zeta's looked superior to Hasbro's effort, not as big, and maybe not as nice a planet mode, but incredible nonetheless, and certainly better looking in my eyes. 

5 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

Not to derail further but Zeta has already put out several Masterpiece scaled combiners that were pretty damn fantastic, and larger, and at least as complex as their Core Star/Unicron. There's also the confirmation that they were or were affiliated with Toyworld, which put out an incredible MP scale Devastator. Not perfect, but pretty amazing through and through, with amazing combined modes that were incredibly stable, wonderfully articulated, and built like bricks with little issue when combined. 

Why hope for that? I just want Hasbro's to release or get cancelled so they can get over their huff about a fantastic looking 3P Unicron, I just want my superior looking Zeta figure, I have zero intention of bothering with Hasbro's effort. 

This. Aesthetically, Zeta's looked superior to Hasbro's effort, not as big, and maybe not as nice a planet mode, but incredible nonetheless, and certainly better looking in my eyes. 

Yeah, the Zeta Robot mode really blows Hasbro's away. I love the working mouth in planet mode Hasbro has but I'll most likely want this usually in Robot mode and for some reason, I really love that jaw gimmick Zeta added. The compartments are a nice thought but seem almost worthless. It really would be close to perfect if it was bigger.

21 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

Zeta's engineers was working with Toyworld before they clamped down and sued Toyworld for stealing their molds/designs and set off on their own after that. The funny thing is that some of Zeta's earlier releases of Jazz is exactly the same (maybe the tolerances was looser than the Toyworld version).

I'm starting to get really picky on my TF purchases both official and 3p.  

Hasbro’s looks like crap next to zeta toys. Let’s be real, all Hasbro looks like crap next to 3rd party’s.

hopefully they will create a sub company name n release it anyway. I’d pay 800 for zetas 40” vs that trash 27” Hasbro crap.

Edited by Bahamutzyro

2 hours ago, Knightdramon said:

And now using this thread to show off purchases...

All 3 [or should I say 5] arrived today. Been trying to generalise my collection bit more outside of transforming robots. Results were...interesting. 

Sculpt-wise, Pennywise is the best of the haul. Figure-wise, Reflektors win by a long shot.

haul3.thumb.jpg.89e4eb5bca7c73b8e0a89c6af924df30.jpg

I dig the Predator..............................It's weird in all the right ways. Got a link?

8 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I dig the Predator..............................It's weird in all the right ways. Got a link?

It's NECA's thermal vision...got it through a UK retailer . If you want something to pose neutrally and leave on a shelf, he's great. Quality of the figure itself isn't the best in the world but for that price I can't complain much heh. 

1 hour ago, Tking22 said:

Because this is a very polarised issue and seems to encourage all sorts of negativity in not just one but two forums I frequent. Very rarely you'll find one that will say they like both offerings, or neither but are OK with it. I'm sure the figure will come back re-branded or whatever in due time. In the meantime if people can relax and enjoy the hobby it'll be lovely. As I said in my earlier post, I didn't see this much fuss over the cancelled Sparktoys WW Grimlock, G-Creations Movie Grimlock or the more recent and contemporary Toyworld's movie Primes that seem to have gotten shelved. :-)

My latest pickups:

HW_1.jpg.f0cab108ea813f5bcde6f3edd886a38a.jpg

Then I finally decided to compile "some" of my more recent random HW purchases:

HW.jpg.96d4f4b7a0dba8dfbbebaa6fc6789157.jpgHW_composite.jpg.933d46e04e275b575556e728a91a8a59.jpg

I thought that was it but found some more:

HW_2.jpg.48ea8055258ff3950d447291e7091d63.jpg

Then I noticed one of them was a TH:

HW_Batmobile_TH.jpg.ccacce69b1754aaa9310a0e07e1eb6c5.jpg

Well I'll be damned! I guess I did come across a TH and never even knew it! Since this is not even the tip of the iceberg in HW I have in just recent years, I wonder if I have any others?

BTW, did I ever say I was an insane hoarder? WTF am I going to do with all these things! :lol:

On 9/17/2019 at 11:31 AM, Podtastic said:

Marvel Legends Brood Queen and Galoob Arachnid Warrior e-bay purchases arrived today.

I wonder who would win these contests?

20190917_175922.jpg

I regret not keeping my Arachnids, these things are big, awesome & ferocious looking!! 

16 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Thanks! Hmmmm, do I have the Blue Carrera? I think so but it must be in a whole different location. 

That's one reason I have a collection thread at Toyark so that I can keep track of what I have and don't end buying multiples that I don't need.  Another reason is to just have it there because the mods at TFW can't do anything about it.  :lol:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/エアファイターコレクション-36-2019年-10-雑誌/dp/B07XV74RN3/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=アシェットエアファイター&qid=1568917932&sr=8-7

Ordered the F/A-18E/F.