Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

14 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Haha yeah, I don't care about Takara vs 3P, just what looks better to me. As for your defense of MP-12, I totally get all that but no matter what the excuse, it just never looked like a good figure to me. Same goes for MP-11 which is why I still have no Seekers. MP-1 and several others from before and around the same time as 11 & 12 do look good to me. I also don't care about Toon slavish looks, again, just what looks good to me. Is MP-36 an overall better toy than MX-I? Sure, MP-36 has great articulation and a mind blowing transformation design but MX-I looks a lot better to me so I like MX-I better still. I like articulation and good engineering but all of that is useless to me if the toy looks bad in the end.

I loved MP-12 at the time but that was long ago, BadCube SS looks like a fantastic upgrade, I'm just not buying more figures to swap out for figures I've already got at this point. In fact, I'm officially done with MP Transformers as of about two weeks ago, I have my last two MP Seekers from MakeToys on the way since I too hate MP-11 and thought it looked horrible for the asking price, I just got Toyworld MP Devastator in, and Xtransbots Cliffjumper will be shipping out in about a week or so. I'd recommend the MakeToys seekers, more toon accurate then I would like as well, the new more toon accurate aesthetic of MP Inferno and Megatron are pretty gross IMO, but they are still VASTLY superior to MP-11 other then that. Couple of shin vent and chest intake fan upgrades, and they have even more nice MP-11 like detail without being a crappy MP-11. I'd check some reviews for BadCube Sideswipe, you might like what you see, Kuma said he's working on a review and should have it out soon.

8 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

I loved MP-12 at the time but that was long ago, BadCube SS looks like a fantastic upgrade, I'm just not buying more figures to swap out for figures I've already got at this point. In fact, I'm officially done with MP Transformers as of about two weeks ago, I have my last two MP Seekers from MakeToys on the way since I too hate MP-11 and thought it looked horrible for the asking price, I just got Toyworld MP Devastator in, and Xtransbots Cliffjumper will be shipping out in about a week or so. I'd recommend the MakeToys seekers, more toon accurate then I would like as well, the new more toon accurate aesthetic of MP Inferno and Megatron are pretty gross IMO, but they are still VASTLY superior to MP-11 other then that. Couple of shin vent and chest intake fan upgrades, and they have even more nice MP-11 like detail without being a crappy MP-11. I'd check some reviews for BadCube Sideswipe, you might like what you see, Kuma said he's working on a review and should have it out soon.

Yeah, I definitely will check out BC SS and XTB Clifjumper. But yeah, I'm pretty much done with Transformers...Macross figures are so much better and give me more enjoyment owning so I'd rather buy multiples of the same mold Valk than less on some new, crappy TF. I really, really wanted to like and get the MT Seekers but I can't get over the hollow wings...looks horrible to me. The thruster covers on top of the hollow wings completely kill the fighter mode look for me. Bot mode looks fantastic on the other hand. I considered buying one of those new KO MP-11's for Starscream and a MT for Skywarp but I don't settle and that's a lot of money for figures I don't like so I'd rather just wait for something better or not have Seekers at all.

6 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Yeah, I definitely will check out BC SS and XTB Clifjumper. But yeah, I'm pretty much done with Transformers...Macross figures are so much better and give me more enjoyment owning so I'd rather buy multiples of the same mold Valk than less on some new, crappy TF. I really, really wanted to like and get the MT Seekers but I can't get over the hollow wings...looks horrible to me. The thruster covers on top of the hollow wings completely kill the fighter mode look for me. Bot mode looks fantastic on the other hand. I considered buying one of those new KO MP-11's for Starscream and a MT for Skywarp but I don't settle and that's a lot of money for figures I don't like so I'd rather just wait for something better or not have Seekers at all.

Understandable :). In this day and age, with so many companies making figures, there's zero reason to ever settle. It's a waiting game. Not a matter of if, but when, eventually a company will come along with something that suits your tastes. And with how expensive MPs are, official and third party, it makes sense to sit on the side line and wait for something new.

21 minutes ago, anubis20 said:

Ended up getting Revoltech Cap. It wasnt in my plans to get it but i saw the price is starting to creep up and I found one on Mandarake for a decent price. 

New Haul 06/20/18

Nice! It's probably one of my least favorite from the line but still a fun figure. The Shield and effects parts are excellent! I put the effects on my Mezco Cap's shield. This one would have been a lot better to me if it just had a better looking classic head option. Still, can't go wrong with the best line in comic style figures ever! I just got my Carnage last night and haven't had a chance to open yet but that is looking to be one of the best yet!

10 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

Understandable :). In this day and age, with so many companies making figures, there's zero reason to ever settle. It's a waiting game. Not a matter of if, but when, eventually a company will come along with something that suits your tastes. And with how expensive MPs are, official and third party, it makes sense to sit on the side line and wait for something new.

Exactly! I've waited over 30 years for this stuff already. No sense wasting time and money on compromises at this point. There are way to many excellent toys out there to keep me busy until something really good comes along. Right now, all I really want is to pick up GP Sludge and wait for their Grimlock and then see if anyone ever makes some good Seekers, Jazz, Sideswipe and Galvatron and I think I will be completely happy and done with Transformers. Of course, if I see some good Triple Changers and Combiners later on, I might bite. ;)

Edited by Slave IV

Nothing new, but the set up is.

https://imgur.com/a/mqOBcM8

I have been weathering my ol' Legacy Collection Millennium falcon. I have not weathered the interior, but i set up some scenes, for kicks

edit in: if you want to see my other collections, visit my site https://www.victorlenhoff.com/collections

I hope you enjoy it.

Edited by vlenhoff

27 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

Nothing new, but the set up is.

https://imgur.com/a/mqOBcM8

I have been weathering my ol' Legacy Collection Millennium falcon. I have not weathered the interior, but i set up some scenes, for kicks

edit in: if you want to see my other collections, visit my site https://www.victorlenhoff.com/collections

I hope you enjoy it.

Good stuff!

10 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Well I'm definitely in the minority here.  I love the old MP's and still have a fondness for them that stretches over the years.  I am not a fan at all of the new cartoon aesthetic.  To me the MP line was originally envisioned as the ultimate expression of a real-life, working version of a masterpiece transformer.  Not an authentic representation of a cartoon.  They were supposed to be expertly engineered, impeccably wrought real-life versions of the toy, not an overwrought version of the cartoon.  The only company that I've even seen recently be able to touch the exalted heights of cartoonish exaggerated poses while at the same time maintaining a sleek design to the alt mode is Bandai with the Macross Frontier series, specifically the VF-19.  And that's after years of many misses and tinkering with the design, utilizing a designer, Kawamori, who is essentially the brain child of all modern Japanese anime to me, and certainly the major exporter of the very idea of a transformer to the United States.  After all that, did they only finally manage to get it right, blending uncanny organic poses in the robot mode without sacrificing the real-life, menacing aesthetic of the alt mode.  So I am not surprised at all, at least how I see things, that other, lesser toy companies like Takara (alas, the Takatoku days are over!) could only conceive of the idea in the womb so to speak, but end up with a dead, limp, lifeless stillborn child as a result.  Only a toy company at the top of their game can conceive and execute such a thing, not just your average toy company.  Another example is the Soul of Chogokin series.  After years of making the perfect toy versions - simple die cast, solid feet, hands, face, nothing ornate - did they even bother with the more organic poses in a new twists on the series emphasizing the cartoonish aspects of the characters.  It took them years to fine tune the design of their toys to accomplish this, and probably with the same workshop of toy designers, not a hastily arranged rotation of designers selected to meet market demand or the exigencies of the moment.  I think at the end of the day their design work has been poor with the new MP cartoon series, and it only points up Bandai's supremacy in the field.  Hate to say it, but it's true.

As to the original aesthetic, I'm sad to see it so readily forgotten and discarded by the newer generation of toy collectors, but perhaps we are all either ruled by the heady moment of toy collecting, when fetish and trends and the sheer joy of panicking over a purchase take over, or else the prevailing fashion of the day.  I guess it is not for me to determine the bend of history, but merely to bear witness.  Alas!  Methinks though that cooler heads (and designs) will prevail.  When the dust settles, the great design work that was put into those toys, which were truly revolutionary for their day, will come out, and they will be seen for the landmarks in toymaking that they were.  It's funny how lesser toy companies like Yamato and Takara will end up putting up scions of the industry, all the while pushing collecting forward, like the 1/48's or the early MP's, while at the same time never holding a candle to their progenitors.

1 hour ago, MacrossMania said:

Well I'm definitely in the minority here.  I love the old MP's and still have a fondness for them that stretches over the years.  I am not a fan at all of the new cartoon aesthetic.  To me the MP line was originally envisioned as the ultimate expression of a real-life, working version of a masterpiece transformer.  Not an authentic representation of a cartoon.  They were supposed to be expertly engineered, impeccably wrought real-life versions of the toy, not an overwrought version of the cartoon.  The only company that I've even seen recently be able to touch the exalted heights of cartoonish exaggerated poses while at the same time maintaining a sleek design to the alt mode is Bandai with the Macross Frontier series, specifically the VF-19.  And that's after years of many misses and tinkering with the design, utilizing a designer, Kawamori, who is essentially the brain child of all modern Japanese anime to me, and certainly the major exporter of the very idea of a transformer to the United States.  After all that, did they only finally manage to get it right, blending uncanny organic poses in the robot mode without sacrificing the real-life, menacing aesthetic of the alt mode.  So I am not surprised at all, at least how I see things, that other, lesser toy companies like Takara (alas, the Takatoku days are over!) could only conceive of the idea in the womb so to speak, but end up with a dead, limp, lifeless stillborn child as a result.  Only a toy company at the top of their game can conceive and execute such a thing, not just your average toy company.  Another example is the Soul of Chogokin series.  After years of making the perfect toy versions - simple die cast, solid feet, hands, face, nothing ornate - did they even bother with the more organic poses in a new twists on the series emphasizing the cartoonish aspects of the characters.  It took them years to fine tune the design of their toys to accomplish this, and probably with the same workshop of toy designers, not a hastily arranged rotation of designers selected to meet market demand or the exigencies of the moment.  I think at the end of the day their design work has been poor with the new MP cartoon series, and it only points up Bandai's supremacy in the field.  Hate to say it, but it's true.

As to the original aesthetic, I'm sad to see it so readily forgotten and discarded by the newer generation of toy collectors, but perhaps we are all either ruled by the heady moment of toy collecting, when fetish and trends and the sheer joy of panicking over a purchase take over, or else the prevailing fashion of the day.  I guess it is not for me to determine the bend of history, but merely to bear witness.  Alas!  Methinks though that cooler heads (and designs) will prevail.  When the dust settles, the great design work that was put into those toys, which were truly revolutionary for their day, will come out, and they will be seen for the landmarks in toymaking that they were.  It's funny how lesser toy companies like Yamato and Takara will end up putting up scions of the industry, all the while pushing collecting forward, like the 1/48's or the early MP's, while at the same time never holding a candle to their progenitors.

Not sure why you think you are in the minority when you are basically echoing what we said and elaborating in much greater detail. Basically yeah, Macross > Transformers and the latest MPs look horrible overall but I will say MP-39 Sunstreaker is a marvel of modern toymaking. That is a true Masterpiece from TT even though it still doesn't look great in bot mode, it's much better than most the other recent MPs.

4 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Not sure why you think you are in the minority when you are basically echoing what we said and elaborating in much greater detail. Basically yeah, Macross > Transformers and the latest MPs look horrible overall but I will say MP-39 Sunstreaker is a marvel of modern toymaking. That is a true Masterpiece from TT even though it still doesn't look great in bot mode, it's much better than most the other recent MPs.

Sunstreaker is indeed a true masterpiece. I have him in bot mode all the time to play with, while the other are in their boxes. I wonder if their new approach with MP is intentionally complex to fight ko. It's much harder to reverse-engineer a toy with complex transformation with very strict tolerance.

Anyways, back on topic, not a toy, but I got the macross design book from softbank. I am very happy! ;) 

17 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Nice! It's probably one of my least favorite from the line but still a fun figure. The Shield and effects parts are excellent! I put the effects on my Mezco Cap's shield. This one would have been a lot better to me if it just had a better looking classic head option. Still, can't go wrong with the best line in comic style figures ever! I just got my Carnage last night and haven't had a chance to open yet but that is looking to be one of the best yet!

Yea i thought i was gonna definitely skip Cap but it doesnt look look like a bad figure so why not. The one im definitely passing on is Batman because I dont like that cape. Yes Carnage is the best so far, you will be very happy with it. 

9 hours ago, Mommar said:

Figuarts MK 50 arrived today.

B50368DB-2C10-4195-910D-66AF18B4F3B1.thumb.jpeg.dea9a1cf71e0aca4d33a0b74dfa4ffb2.jpeg

Nice! That looks like it has better articulation than the previous Figuarts IM. 

25 minutes ago, anubis20 said:

Yea i thought i was gonna definitely skip Cap but it doesnt look look like a bad figure so why not. The one im definitely passing on is Batman because I dont like that cape. Yes Carnage is the best so far, you will be very happy with it. 

It has the best articulation of any Figuarts IM, actually.  Though the streamlined design of the armor makes that a lot easier to pull off.

hey guys, i'm very new to Macross collecting. waiting on my pf Milia and VF-0S to arrive next week, so in the meantime here's my hi-metal r VF-1S and VF-1A with the Missile Effect that arrived today.

super excited to get some glass cabinets and have things displayed proper.

20180621_111013.jpg

IMG-20180621-WA0091.jpg

Edited by apptt4
added image

12 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Have you seen the preview pics of MP Optimus Prime 3.0?  I'm not sure how I feel about the truck mode with such a fragmented surface.  The bot mode looks kinda weird to me too.  Still like my MPP-10 and MPP-10B more I think.

6 hours ago, anubis20 said:

I didn't like Batman much either and have no need for any other Batman figures after I got my Mezco TDKR one but I ordered it anyways to support the Amazing Yamaguchi line in hopes to see more DC figures from them and further the "best line in comic style toys ever"! 

Still haven't opened Carnage yet but it looks purty through the box.

1 hour ago, apptt4 said:

hey guys, i'm very new to Macross collecting. waiting on my pf Milia and VF-0S to arrive next week, so in the meantime here's my hi-metal r VF-1S and VF-1A with the Missile Effect that arrived today.

super excited to get some glass cabinets and have things displayed proper.

20180621_111013.jpg

IMG-20180621-WA0091.jpg

Welcome and congrats on the pick ups. Nice choices and pics. Look forward to seeing your future posts.

28 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Have you seen the preview pics of MP Optimus Prime 3.0?  I'm not sure how I feel about the truck mode with such a fragmented surface.  The bot mode looks kinda weird to me too.  Still like my MPP-10 and MPP-10B more I think.

I saw some early photos but have to go back and check again. I really pay little to no attention to Transformers anymore. I'm actually not a fan of MP-10 and that is one of the only times I settled for something because I figured if I was going to have an MP Transformer collection, it would be silly not to have Prime. I prefer MP-1 as the best Prime made so far.

I got two large packages in, one big private warehouse shipment from HLJ, and one big box from The Chosen Prime. Infinity War Figuarts are mostly great, Cap is pretty damn pathetic, no alternate yelling head, no shields, only two extra pairs of hands, stupid spear that was used for 30 seconds, Bandai seems to blatantly half ass it on at least one figure in every Figuarts line. Thanos is fantastic and I'd recommend him before he disappears, Spidey and Ironman are pretty slick too. I've been dying to get my hands on Toyworld Constructor, aka Masterpiece Devastator. This thing is a beast, I passed on the first G1 box set release and nearly immediately regretted it, I jumped on this second release as soon as it went up. With this, and three more MP Transformers on the way, I am DONE with MP Transformers, I've got season 1 Autobots and Decepticons complete, that was my main goal going in, and now I can say I'm finally done.

20180620_180130.thumb.jpg.4a5a89deeaf1e6e3d66c421be7dbd5f0.jpg

20180620_181226.thumb.jpg.f7fccca8f5b1bdefb60eb5bce8e97ff4.jpg

55 minutes ago, Mommar said:

My Mezco One:12 PX Exclusive Black Suit Spider-Man finally arrived!

Nice, he looks pretty solid in D Amazing's review. I had a chance to grab the Miles Morales version a while back and didn't like a complete moron, it was the first released Mezco Spiderman so I didn't know if it would be any good or not, turns out it's a nice figure and I missed out on the version I really wanted in my collection. I totally forgot I got DX Joker in about a week ago, another damn fine release, I REALLY like the heads that came with this guy, two jackets/coats, Mezco done good with this one.

20180621_202506.thumb.jpg.6a2a5525af916a73c68d2a6ffccbdf16.jpg

5b2c6db54348d_2018-06-2120_25_52.jpg.87570a3575646572190d3b320dd47bee.jpg

2 minutes ago, tekering said:

Yeah, nothing beats Constructor.  B))

chance_meeting_on_a_sunny_day.thumb.jpg.69418e9bef3f94e0f7348bc83b49dbfe.jpg

That's a damn fine photo, this thing is insane combined, I'm baffled at the articulation on such a massive bot, I think this thing can do the Ironman landing pose!

1 hour ago, Tking22 said:

I'm baffled at the articulation on such a massive bot, I think this thing can do the Ironman landing pose!

The individual bots are crazy articulated, too!

krazy.thumb.jpg.de48a34488c0407168ad21c197796db2.jpg

articulation!.thumb.jpg.4855a99a76d6888de1aec9875cbc7b1b.jpg

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Damn! That Devastator looks fantastic!

Oh, you'll find he's very photogenic.  B))

blinding.thumb.jpg.395703cc3e7b0fedd08f4853efbacd93.jpg

1 hour ago, Tking22 said:

Nice, he looks pretty solid in D Amazing's review. I had a chance to grab the Miles Morales version a while back and didn't like a complete moron, it was the first released Mezco Spiderman so I didn't know if it would be any good or not, turns out it's a nice figure and I missed out on the version I really wanted in my collection. I totally forgot I got DX Joker in about a week ago, another damn fine release, I REALLY like the heads that came with this guy, two jackets/coats, Mezco done good with this one.

Nah, you're fine.  Miles is the worst of the three.  I highly recommend either the OG spidey or this one though.

I should have got that Joker figure but I try to stay away from new lines as much as possible (as I look over at Dark Knight Ascending Batman and realize I'm a liar.)

8 hours ago, Mommar said:

Nah, you're fine.  Miles is the worst of the three.  I highly recommend either the OG spidey or this one though.

I should have got that Joker figure but I try to stay away from new lines as much as possible (as I look over at Dark Knight Ascending Batman and realize I'm a liar.)

Damn that sucks, Miles always gets the short end of the stick. I'll probably grab black suit Spidey then while I can, he still looks really good.

9 hours ago, tekering said:

The individual bots are crazy articulated, too!

Oh, you'll find he's very photogenic.  B))

I am VERY impressed with this set, the individual bots are AMAZING, and yes, very well articulated. I found myself removing Scavenger and Scrapper because I honestly really love their alt modes, these guys look great in alt mode! Nothing hits my nostalgia quite like a bunch of bright green and purple construction vehicles. I feel the set is a perfect blend of toon and toy, not too detailed and overly greebled, and not too plain, the alt modes just look so fantastic parked together! With most combiners folks don't really bother with alt or robot modes, combined mode is usually the point, and while the combined mode is indeed incredible, these individual bots are a lot of fun.

New stuff day!

Finally got my PF 0S, despite the usual level of incompetence from USPS. I like getting the original brown shipper box with these exclusives. Though this one was placed inside another brown box... which was placed inside yet another brown box before shipping. So I had to free it from three layers of brown boxes before reaching the actual 0S box. :blink:

5b2d09e20b1ec_loot2018-06-2201.jpg.5595d04d5294305a7d8b613e1c9d74ae.jpg

Also, I think I might have to slow down my MB purchases...

5b2d09e38b64a_loot2018-06-2202.jpg.041aefe1ef8e554c31e40f300cfb27de.jpg

5b2d09e4f09d8_loot2018-06-2203.jpg.4ecce3c8bad922495d4c994802176b76.jpg