Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

12 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Wait... you are just going to leave her in the box? Unopened? 

LOL yes of course.   You don't collect vintage toys and take them out for display.  The whole point of a museum quality piece is ruined at that point.  Everyone knows or least they should know that mint in box means it's never been disturbed, and mint in box is what preserves its value.  So no, it's not leaving the box.  This is less of an issue for the old vintage pieces because the box art is so amazing.  Bandai's chunky monkey's are no exception.  The artist is even quoted here bottom right corner.  It's going to AFA to be graded.

58 minutes ago, MacrossMania said:

LOL yes of course.   You don't collect vintage toys and take them out for display.  The whole point of a museum quality piece is ruined at that point.  Everyone knows or least they should know that mint in box means it's never been disturbed, and mint in box is what preserves its value.  So no, it's not leaving the box.  This is less of an issue for the old vintage pieces because the box art is so amazing.  Bandai's chunky monkey's are no exception.  The artist is even quoted here bottom right corner.  It's going to AFA to be graded.

I can understand playing with your toy.

And I can understand putting your toy on display, so that you can gaze at it lovingly.

But, if it never leaves the box, are you collecting it because you like it, or because you want it to go up in monetary value? You can''t touch the valkyrie. You can't even really look at it either, except for the bit that peeks thru the window.

I guess I can understand the monetary valuation thing if you see the item as an investment.

But as a fan, I am trying to comprehend.

Admittedly, I put an Arcadia 1/60 VF-1J Super Valkyrie (Miria) into my closet unopened for storage. But... that is because I *cough cough* sort of bought 2 of them, since I wanted to have one as a back-up. I also did that back when I bought 2 of each of the 3 "Maria-sama ga Miteru" rosarios years ago from Animate @ Akihabara... 1 each for cosplaying and 1 each for backup storage.

Oh no.... Suddenly, I am reminded of Kanata from "Lucky Star" saying that she collects 3 of every item.... 1 to play with, 1 for display, and 1 for storage.

Oh no..... oh no! I've become that girl!

No no... she bought 3 of everything. I only bought 2. I'm not at her level yet. *whew* SAFE!

44 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I can understand playing with your toy.

And I can understand putting your toy on display, so that you can gaze at it lovingly.

But, if it never leaves the box, are you collecting it because you like it, or because you want it to go up in monetary value? You can''t touch the valkyrie. You can't even really look at it either, except for the bit that peeks thru the window.

I guess I can understand the monetary valuation thing if you see the item as an investment.

But as a fan, I am trying to comprehend.

Admittedly, I put an Arcadia 1/60 VF-1J Super Valkyrie (Miria) into my closet unopened for storage. But... that is because I *cough cough* sort of bought 2 of them, since I wanted to have one as a back-up. I also did that back when I bought 2 of each of the 3 "Maria-sama ga Miteru" rosarios years ago from Animate @ Akihabara... 1 each for cosplaying and 1 each for backup storage.

Oh no.... Suddenly, I am reminded of Kanata from "Lucky Star" saying that she collects 3 of every item.... 1 to play with, 1 for display, and 1 for storage.

Oh no..... oh no! I've become that girl!

No no... she bought 3 of everything. I only bought 2. I'm not at her level yet. *whew* SAFE!

So I hate to say it, but you answered your own questions!  So yea, the fact that you put one safely in storage so that it can never ever see the skein of sunlight that will slowly destroy it over time and mitigate that feeling of beauty when you first take it out of the box and gaze upon it with all of its furious glory - yea, that feeling.  That's the feeling we MISB collectors all try to preserve.  The feeling of perfection right up to the point of opening a toy and taking it out to play with.  There's something about preserving that feeling that we're all chasing after, and well all do in our own way I guess.  I just happen to do it (as a lot of others do) by keeping it pristine and untouched in the original box.  

And of course you have to understand we are talking about a 34 year old toy in basically pristine condition.  A few condition issues on the corners, but for all intents and purposes perfect.  Do you know how hard that is to find, and to be one of the lucky few in the world to get your hands on a piece like that?  And you want to destroy that with your meddlesome, common hands that don't have the taste to understand what you're holding?  It would be like Judas taking a drink out of the holy grail or taking communion.  Or Macbeth throwing up his hands in vain to god, because he doesn't have it in himself to repent.  What's the point? 

To put it plainly, I'm not just driven by avarice.  I don't collect to make money, I collect to preserve and to marvel, to dream. But the thrill of the hunt is not only achieving the pinnacle of beauty by finding the perfect toy and the perfect display, but also in preserving it.  And therein lies a collector's pride.  His joy he takes in finding the piece nobody else could find.  His pride he takes in doing what legions of collectors will do before and after him, long after he is dead and gone, preserving it for future generations to come.  And to find one in this condition, with that amount of artwork, and to be able one day to pass the mantle to other collectors who will do the same, is to keep the daisy chain going.

7 minutes ago, MacrossMania said:

So I hate to say it, but you answered your own questions!  So yea, the fact that you put one safely in storage so that it can never ever see the skein of sunlight that will slowly destroy it over time and mitigate that feeling of beauty when you first take it out of the box and gaze upon it with all of its furious glory - yea, that feeling.  That's the feeling we MISB collectors all try to preserve.  The feeling of perfection right up to the point of opening a toy and taking it out to play with.  There's something about preserving that feeling that we're all chasing after, and well all do in our own way I guess.  I just happen to do it (as a lot of others do) by keeping it pristine and untouched in the original box.  

And of course you have to understand we are talking about a 34 year old toy in basically pristine condition.  A few condition issues on the corners, but for all intents and purposes perfect.  Do you know how hard that is to find, and to be one of the lucky few in the world to get your hands on a piece like that?  And you want to destroy that with your meddlesome, common hands that don't have the taste to understand what you're holding?  It would be like Judas taking a drink out of the holy grail or taking communion.  Or Macbeth throwing up his hands in vain to god, because he doesn't have it in himself to repent.  What's the point? 

To put it plainly, I'm not just driven by avarice.  I don't collect to make money, I collect to preserve and to marvel, to dream. But the thrill of the hunt is not only achieving the pinnacle of beauty by finding the perfect toy and the perfect display, but also in preserving it.  And therein lies a collector's pride.  His joy he takes in finding the piece nobody else could find.  His pride he takes in doing what legions of collectors will do before and after him, long after he is dead and gone, preserving it for future generations to come.  And to find one in this condition, with that amount of artwork, and to be able one day to pass the mantle to other collectors who will do the same, is to keep the daisy chain going.

That does sound kind of wonderful.... *starry eyes*

Technically, I am not putting the back-up copy into storage to never be opened. I do anticipate opening it, after the 1st once eventually dies on me. I'm not trying to preserve the back-up per say, nor am I opposed to opening the back-up's box. But it is very much like the spare tire on my Honda SUV, waiting for when it is its time to be used.

But... I do think I can kind of understand a little bit about the appeal you speak of. 

8 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

That does sound kind of wonderful.... *starry eyes*

Technically, I am not putting the back-up copy into storage to never be opened. I do anticipate opening it, after the 1st once eventually dies on me. I'm not trying to preserve the back-up per say, nor am I opposed to opening the back-up's box. But it is very much like the spare tire on my Honda SUV, waiting for when it is its time to be used.

But... I do think I can kind of understand a little bit about the appeal you speak of. 

Ok starry eyes, maybe you've convinced yourself that the one you keep in storage is only a spare tire, but you're close.

Oh @Shizuka the Cat, you are learning the ways of the Macross Force! 

But yeah, there is a thread about collecting MISB. Something like the Chunky Monkey is a classic. One of my favorite, if not THE favorite toy of all time. I've had one since original release and they've been around my life since. I know the toy very well...hell, I've won a Chunky Monkey transformation contest. Point being, I have the toy open and have played with it all my life. I have several versions of it because I collect toys. I don't need to open every one of them because I know what's inside and what it's all about. Looking at the shiny new box and just knowing I own it is plenty of enjoyment to me. Opening every one I own is not going to add anything to my enjoyment. 

The best misb's are those with a plastic window see through...if I could turn back time I would tell my young self to preserve my chunky monkeys...till now they are still with me but ostrich is yellowing with a broken backpack connector and Roy as yellow with an arm missing..

17 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

But yeah, there is a thread about collecting MISB. Something like the Chunky Monkey is a classic. One of my favorite, if not THE favorite toy of all time. I've had one since original release and they've been around my life since. I know the toy very well...hell, I've won a Chunky Monkey transformation contest. Point being, I have the toy open and have played with it all my life. I have several versions of it because I collect toys. I don't need to open every one of them because I know what's inside and what it's all about. Looking at the shiny new box and just knowing I own it is plenty of enjoyment to me. Opening every one I own is not going to add anything to my enjoyment. 

If she's learning the force, then hell I must be a Jedi.  Though to put it in Yoda terms, the dark arts was not that I would hope to master.  I would only take comfort in the fact that Rembrandt went bankrupt collecting, serving as inspiration for his art.  Perhaps in some small corner of the universe the dark art of my collection serves as a more solid foundation for other, higher arts I may sign my soul to.  

10 minutes ago, MacrossMania said:

If she's learning the force, then hell I must be a Jedi.  Though to put it in Yoda terms, the dark arts was not that I would hope to master.  I would only take comfort in the fact that Rembrandt went bankrupt collecting, serving as inspiration for his art.  Perhaps in some small corner of the universe the dark art of my collection serves as a more solid foundation for other, higher arts I may sign my soul to.  

That's deep! If the Macross Force is strong with the dark side, it has brought me a lot of enjoyment, sparked a lot of imagination and made me a very bad boy. 

Speaking of which, my missile Regults finally arrived today. Got to think about rearranging my HMR shelf to accommodate them. 

Edited by Slave IV

4 hours ago, MacrossMania said:

The best comparison pics I've seen are AFA vintage transformers and their modern day counterparts - usually Fans Toys.  I can still do a comparison pic.  But the Super O will still be in her box.  She'll never leave that old coffin of hers.  It's great.  I love it in there.  Like a museum piece and I want to keep it that way.  That's why I can't take it out and do a direct comparison tete-a-tete, figure to figure.  This piece is for posterity and shouldn't be disturbed.

27 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

6 minutes ago, MacrossMania said:

I can see why you want to preserve the 1/55 Ostrich and I don't blame you. There's actually an auction on ebay for the same copy of the 1/55 Ostrich asking for roughly $2,300.00 USD MIB (from fairwaycomicsncollectibles).  Hmmm.. In this case, you can still do your comparison pics with the boxed 1/55 and the HMR then. ;)

On a side note, one of my friends from YYZ has acquired a G1 Grand Max from an auction six years ago and has it encased in a plastic prison (has opened up for verification purposes and authenticity) after that. Don't know if he still has it with him or had it shipped to his parent's/brother's house in YYZ for safekeeping as he is working in Mainland China.  

28 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

That's deep! If the Macross Force is strong with the dark side, it has brought me a lot of enjoyment, sparked a lot of imagination and made me a very bad boy. 

Speaking of which, my missile Regults finally arrived today. Got to think about rearranging my HMR shelf to accommodate them. 

Shallow was never my forte.  So yes, I'll go collect those Regults now.

2 minutes ago, borgified said:

I can see why you want to preserve the 1/55 Ostrich and I don't blame you. There's actually an auction on ebay for the same copy of the 1/55 Ostrich asking for roughly $2,300.00 USD MIB (from fairwaycomicsncollectibles).  Hmmm.. In this case, you can still do your comparison pics with the boxed 1/55 and the HMR then. ;)

On a side note, one of my friends from YYZ has acquired a G1 Grand Max from an auction six years ago and has it encased in a plastic prison (has opened up for verification purposes and authenticity) after that. Don't know if he still has it with him or had it shipped to his parent's/brother's house in YYZ for safekeeping as he is working in Mainland China.  

what I love about the collecting game.  It knows no boundaries, ethnicities, etc.  It is truly blind to those superficialities that blind us all in superficial judgments about one another.  It is truly magnanimous, equal, equanimous.  Truly judged in the spirit of your character which cannot be helped.  And so a man may love a thing in China that is just as much loved half a world over in a completely foreign continent, though the thing be held in the same high esteem because the values are the same.  Collecting is the great equalizer.  The great human justifier.

12 minutes ago, MacrossMania said:

what I love about the collecting game.  It knows no boundaries, ethnicities, etc.  It is truly blind to those superficialities that blind us all in superficial judgments about one another.  It is truly magnanimous, equal, equanimous.  Truly judged in the spirit of your character which cannot be helped.  And so a man may love a thing in China that is just as much loved half a world over in a completely foreign continent, though the thing be held in the same high esteem because the values are the same.  Collecting is the great equalizer.  The great human justifier.

And that is why I say collecting is in my blood. I will always be a collector. 

@MacrossMania I never understood MISB or AFA collectors and one of my collection goals had always been to get an AFA graded G1 Dreadwind and Darkwing and release them from their prisons.

But something in your description of why you do it really spoke to me.

Thank you for that.

I bought a Yamato VF-19F and VF-17D to flush out my M7 collection. They will be opened and played with though.

2 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

What is AFA?

Action Figure Authority.  It's the standard in the industry for getting a figure graded.  100 is perfect (there are only a handful of AFA 100's in the world), and 85 is considered "collector's grade" for fussy collectors like me.  80 is about standard, and everything below that from 70 on up is basically amateur or novice collecting.  Below that is not even worth mentioning.  AFA is not universally accepted though.  Their grading is sometimes inconsistent and the very idea that a random entity could anoint itself as the final authority on what constitutes acceptable collecting is still in controversy to this day.  Although it has been generally accepted as an industry standard at this point.  Mainly because of their high standards.

15 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

What is AFA?

A scam. :p

9 minutes ago, MacrossMania said:

Action Figure Authority.  It's the standard in the industry for getting a figure graded.  100 is perfect (there are only a handful of AFA 100's in the world), and 85 is considered "collector's grade" for fussy collectors like me.  80 is about standard, and everything below that from 70 on up is basically amateur or novice collecting.  Below that is not even worth mentioning.  AFA is not universally accepted though.  Their grading is sometimes inconsistent and the very idea that a random entity could anoint itself as the final authority on what constitutes acceptable collecting is still in controversy to this day.  Although it has been generally accepted as an industry standard at this point.  Mainly because of their high standards.

But really, pretty much everything mentioned here. I don't believe in it personally. I don't need to pay somone to tell me how good my collection is.

11 hours ago, MacrossMania said:

This probably belongs more in the why do you collect MISB thread (but I think you've posted in there as well).  Like I said in that thread, if that is how you enjoy the hobby, more power to you, I'm not here to judge. 

What does seem to always baffle me with any MISB/AFA 100/ PSA 10, whatever version of "purist" collector is that they don't seem aware, (or more likely, want to acknowledge), that no matter what you do, things still degrade, especially paper and plastic.  No matter how you store it, no matter what plastic/metal tomb you create for that plastic collectible, paper card, or whatever it is, it is still degrading.  Right now, as you read this, your collection is degrading, too.  Literally nothing can escape the wear of time.  In some cases, the mint box isn't even the best storage option for some of the plastic toys.  

Will these safely kept toys last longer than opened versions?  Sure, almost definitely.  Will they last the lifetime of the collector?  Probably, but you might be surprised how much some of the toys from the 80s have degraded just sitting in their box (then again, I'm sure you've seen the carded GI Joes that are falling apart in their blister).

It sort of seems futile to me.  I say enjoy it while it lasts.  Nothing lasts forever. 

But then again, maybe the goal of the "mint" collector is just have the collectible last their life-time.  Or have the most pristine versions available (even if they aren't as pristine as they were 20 years ago).

12 hours ago, MacrossMania said:

After reading that, I kind of want that unopened Super Ostrich now. :o

That reminds me my wife saving an old magnum of wine Saint Emilion 1978, she never wanted to open it but last week the bottle broke and we had to drink it. Fate or not, but I think I enjoyed more the present pleasure of drinking it when it still was good than just keeping the joy for later. She was a little upset, I guess she is more like a MISB collector, and I prefer to play and sometimes broke my precious toys now. 

At the end of the day, all we need to do is respect each other on how's and the why's of one person's reasons of collecting. As long as that person is happy about the way he's collecting, then good for them -- I mean, good for all of us.

You have a mint VF-1. I have a used VF-1. And all is right in the world. ;) 

I just feel like we're getting off topic on this whole MISB thing.  Although I loved it!  So in the spirit of collecting for everyone's enjoyment, drool over the following (I'm in the middle of a move, so don't mind the mess!):

destroid - 1.jpg

destroid - 2.jpg

Edited by MacrossMania

2 minutes ago, ZorClone said:

Grats man, it's awesome to see a proper Vermilion Squadron coming together :)

Thanks. I think I am still missing Hikaru's VF-1J. Is there any difference between a TV and movie version of Roy's VF-1S, besides the strike parts?

5 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Thanks. I think I am still missing Hikaru's VF-1J. Is there any difference between a TV and movie version of Roy's VF-1S, besides the strike parts?

TV Roy have black arrow on the head. DYRL Roy got replaced with yellow arrow. And different pilot figure. ;)

Here's a grab from Jenius' Anymoon site.

Yamato-VF-1S-Focker-TV-2.jpg

Edited by no3Ljm

5 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I think the only differences will be the pilot figure having the DYRL uniform, and the arrows printed on the head being yellow instead of black.

There may also be a difference in the cockpit screen design, but I can't say for sure which style the Arcadia releases have used.

Over the years though, I've also noticed that there are a few different shades of plastic used for the dark colored portions of the VF-1, especially the feet, gunpod, and boxy missile launchers.  Some of my early Yamatos have feet and gunpods that are almost black, while later ones use a dark gray color.

Edited by Chronocidal

You know you are a valkyrie addict when you skip school to wait at home for 2 DHL deliveries to arrive.

DHL, where are you?! Why can't you give me real-time tracking of my packages' locations, like the Uber or Lyft apps can?

I know I'm more of a lurker here, but I wanted to share my little project. 

I like many have always wanted a vintage Bandai Strike Valkyrie. Every time I saw a nice one for sale (usually around $250-300) I didn't have the money. I recently acquired an extra Transformers Jetfire, so I decided to sell my boxed one for the funds to buy the VF-1S Strike. 

But naturally, the prices have jumped. 

So I researched my options and came up with a plan. I ended up buying a fairly worn and yellowed VF-1S with good armor and all accessories but the gun. I also bought a REISSUE VF-1A new in box. The plan was to cobble these together to get a nice, clean, tight VF-1S Hikaru version, and I paid $311 and change out the door.

valks1.thumb.jpg.bd418d865e3ccaecddca14e26d0c27ae.jpg

Someone had mentioned that the vintage armor didn't fit on reissues, but I decided to try my luck.  Turns out it all fits except the arm guards. At first, I tried transferring the forearms and head from the vintage toy to the new toy. The head was a giant pain in the butt, but the arms weren't bad. However, the yellowed plastic really stood out. I decided to go for my backup option and just mod the reissue arms to fit the armor. 

I dremeled the forearms down this morning and then sanded the edges to match the rest of the arm again. It's blatantly obvious what was done without the armor, but the armor fits great now and covers up any sign of customization. Plus, the whole body minus the head is bright white and new! And bonus, it uses the read cockpit cover like in the movie. 

What I am searching for now is a REISSUE VF-1S Skull One Battroid HEAD as white as if it just came out of the package. The antenna can be broken, bent, melted, or eaten by rabid badgers, but I need a nice, white, REISSUE head for this thing so that the colors all match!

I have a shiny new VF-1A reissue head for trade, or a pretty worn vintage VF-1S body (arms are present, just not attached in the photo. ( I also have lots of Transformers accessories for trade, or I can just pay for the head!)

Thanks everyone! Let me know what you think. 

YAY! My DHL deliveries arrived! Now I am just waiting for my Yamato v2 1/60 VE-1 Elintseeker to come in a couple of days.

Hmmm... you know, I may not have completely thought things thru. It did not occur to me just how much space this stuff takes up.

20180326_152713.thumb.jpg.daba357b86c0d29ebb344915ca8c7534.jpg