Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

Got my first valkyrie yesterday, one of the Yamato 1/60 V2's. I must say I was surprised at how good it was. I was expecting it to be pretty good, like maybe a step or two above Robot Spirits, but this is probably one of the nicest collectibles I own. The tampo printing was very sharp, there were lots of clicky joints and the transformation was quite intricate. This isn't just a feat of engineering; it's a work of art. I really like the minimalist vibe it has and, for a robot, it feels kinda classy.

The only 'problem' now is that I'm starting to wonder what the point of 1/48 is. The 1/60 is plenty big for my taste and from what I've read the 1/48 isn't quite as polished. I also can't seem to find the 1/48 I was looking for on sale in North America so maybe it's for the best. Maybe the Arcadia GBP set instead? Not so sure how much articulation is possible with the armor, but I don't have a VF-1J yet.

Got my first valkyrie yesterday, one of the Yamato 1/60 V2's. I must say I was surprised at how good it was. I was expecting it to be pretty good, like maybe a step or two above Robot Spirits, but this is probably one of the nicest collectibles I own. The tampo printing was very sharp, there were lots of clicky joints and the transformation was quite intricate. This isn't just a feat of engineering; it's a work of art. I really like the minimalist vibe it has and, for a robot, it feels kinda classy.

The only 'problem' now is that I'm starting to wonder what the point of 1/48 is. The 1/60 is plenty big for my taste and from what I've read the 1/48 isn't quite as polished. I also can't seem to find the 1/48 I was looking for on sale in North America so maybe it's for the best. Maybe the Arcadia GBP set instead? Not so sure how much articulation is possible with the armor, but I don't have a VF-1J yet.

Congrats on your first Valkyrie! Curious, which variant did you get? They certainly are a very well designed toy and extremely pleasant to handle and transform. Like any toy nothing is ever completely perfect and they have their vices for example in the earlier releases suffered from cracking or breaking shoulder joints and improperly locking and fiddly crotch mechanisms but in most cases you learn to live around the issues and the later versions were revised and corrected.

The 1/48 came into the scene a few years earlier so in certain aspects aren't quite as polished compared to the later v2 1/60's but the 48's have a charm of their own and although sharing many similarities from a visual point of view they did were different enough to be unique.. especially being a larger scale. Until I first saw a 48 I wouldn't of thought they were as big as they are and the size difference is quite impressive! In fact the size really makes up for many of their short comings such as small hands, too long nose cone when in battroid and the upper torso section looks a little too broad. But this is how they are and many love them that way! Though for me they just don't look quite right so my collection is 100% centered around the v2 1/60 scale toys. Maybe if they released a v2 version of the 1/48 line before the v2 1/60 hit the market then things would have been very different!

But I guess in many ways the 1/60 are big enough and are engineered so well they pull of each of their three modes perfectly! I guess Yamato knew this and decided not to continue with or develop further the 48 line.

Sadly you have come in to collecting these things at the no so best of times as Yamato now long gone has made many variants of the 1/60 v2 line rare and expensive. There have been a few re-issues by the new company Arcadia as you are most likely aware but they have been slow and far between not to mention a little odd of their choices of what to re-issue.. Some would say they were just testing the waters before jumping right in. But things are slowly creeping back up and more variants will start coming our way.

So far the most significant VF-1 they have re-issued is the GBP set but I would say in your situation it would be a very wise choice to pick up! Being a hero valk (Hikaru) with the additional armor parts makes is sound purchase! For what you get its pretty good value as they aren't terribly expensive either. Yes you would be correct that the GBP armor parts do limit the articulation some what but you can still pull off some impressive poses regardless! There have been plenty of photos posted up in here for you to see!

Other Valks from Plus, M7 and Zero that Arcadia have renewed or re-issued have so far been quite a bit more expensive and in some cases have generated mixed reactions. We don't yet know what VF-1 variant will be released next but its going to have to be a something a little more interesting than what they have chosen previously bar the GBP set.. Im sure an announcement will be made soon enough so it will be very interesting to see what is coming our way next!

Welcome aboard, microtree33! Hope you'll enjoy your stay here. ;)

And spanner is correct, you should try and get the Arcadia VF-1J/GBP set as well since it's Hikaru's plane and has that famous armor in it. And not too mention, it has a 'grey' colored visor. Which everyone loves. ^_^ And yes, this valk is totally different from Robot Spirits since most of the Robot Damashii figures don't transform. With Macross, you'll get 3 forms in 1 toy. Cool huh? B)) Kidding aside, this new hobby of yours is going to be expensive. And most of us here always gripe when it comes to prices esp the new released ones and the upcoming ones. :rolleyes: But that's the fun of collecting it. ^_^

Anyways, just to give you heads up, the recent released in the market were Bandai DX VF-19 Advance, Arcadia VF-0D, Arcadia VF-1J/GBP. The next release in the coming week will be Bandai DX YF-29B Perceval. In the coming months, it's Arcadia VF-0A Shin Kudo. Late this year or early next year will be Arcadia VF-0S Roy Focker. For sure, if I miss anything here, other guys will fill you in on other cool stuff as well. :rolleyes:

You missed the Bandai web exclusive VF-27y Grace/CF in August :-P

Is been a good few weeks for me, Arcadia VF-1J Armoured, Yamato DYRL Roy 1S and Megahouse armoured Klan. Only took parcel farce three weeks and two phone calls to deliver her.

post-30426-0-00160600-1435011476_thumb.jpg

Is been a good few weeks for me, Arcadia VF-1J Armoured, Yamato DYRL Roy 1S and Megahouse armoured Klan. Only took parcel farce three weeks and two phone calls to deliver her.

attachicon.gif20150622_141150.jpg

Nice! standard fare for PFarce, I know my vf-19 will suffer similarly at their hands

20150622_141150.jpg

Nice lot Garfinkel! I have been umming and ahhing getting that very Klan figure its just her huge boobs which put me off a bit.. not that i dont like those parts of the female anatomy, its just hers look disproportionate to the rest of her body.. maybe i will still get her? She still looks pretty hot as! ;) Edited by spanner76

post-7871-0-03668800-1435028768_thumb.jpg

Some goodies I picked up during my holiday in Japan (April/May).

Excellent Model 1/8 Ranka Lee Cinderella

Nendoroid Ranka Lee

Good Smile 1/8 Asuna Kinights of the Royal Blood (this was hard to find - glad I didn't have to pay too much mark up)

Monster Hunter Felyne collection Vol 3

I'm leaving the additional space on the left for Valkyrie goodness, all of which are currenly at home waiting to be weathered, panel lined and stickered. :p

Also picked up lots more stuff during the trip, but didn't take good photos of them. Here is a photo of the haul when we got home (mixed in with goodies my wife bought)

post-7871-0-21210900-1435029180_thumb.jpg

Notable mentions:

- HGBF Bear Guy III Family

- Nendoroid Levi

- SH Figurarts Cardcaptor Sakura

- Zaku Machine Gun and Gundam Beam Rifle water pistols

- Monster Hunter plushies

- Ichiban Kuji Aldnoah Zero premium poster (my wife won this in a raffle when we visited Akiba)

So I bought my first Bandai DX valk from Subie81 here on the forums.

9wWqTXa.jpg

After seeing pictures and reviews of the Frontier valks I had very little interest in collecting any of them, but with the announcement of Macross What's It Called I figured now, if ever, would be the time to buy one. I am actually pretty happy with it. Yeah the intakes are joke but over all the toy is pretty solid in fighter and gerwalk mode.

But holy hell, batroid mode is a pain in the ass. It looks good, but I have to be doing something wrong right? I can't really seem to get the chest and back area to lock in, it just shifts around while handling it. And those thigh covers constantly pop off just about every time you try to move the legs. :angry:

But it's not all bad. I think I might try to find another 25 or 29 to compliment it.

Edited by Gwynne

@Gwynne it looks pretty good from the photo.. they are a little fiddly to transform and they dont really lock into place. But it looks like you got it pretty much right! You can pull out the fore arms a click or so and those folding thigh cover panels on the upper leg are meant to sit out than be folded rearward.. i think.. i guess its up to how you prefer it.

Congrats on getting your first DX valk! Im sure there will be many more to come! ;)

Edited by spanner76

So I bought my first Bandai DX valk from Subie81 here on the forums.

9wWqTXa.jpg

After seeing pictures and reviews of the Frontier valks I had very little interest in collecting any of them, but with the announcement of Macross What's It Called I figured now, if ever, would be the time to buy one. I am actually pretty happy with it. Yeah the intakes are joke but over all the toy is pretty solid in fighter and gerwalk mode.

But holy hell, batroid mode is a pain in the ass. It looks good, but I have to be doing something wrong right? I can't really seem to get the chest and back area to lock in, it just shifts around while handling it. And those thigh covers constantly pop off just about every time you try to move the legs. :angry:

But it's not all bad. I think I might try to find another 25 or 29 to compliment it.

Congrats on your purchase, Gwynne. ;)

Regarding your concern on the chest and back area. What you can do is, those shoulder parts, you can still bend those towards the back more. Remember there's 2 hinges connecting that shoulder part. The chest area and the back plate where the wings are connected. So the hinge on the back just folded more towards the back and it will make that area tight and lock somehow. Give it a shot and let us know. ;) Just remember not to force it though. Just bend it little by little until you feel that the back part is not that moving or feel loose anymore. Hope that helps. :)

Congrats on your purchase, Gwynne. ;)

Regarding your concern on the chest and back area. What you can do is, those shoulder parts, you can still bend those towards the back more. Remember there's 2 hinges connecting that shoulder part. The chest area and the back plate where the wings are connected. So the hinge on the back just folded more towards the back and it will make that area tight and lock somehow. Give it a shot and let us know. ;) Just remember not to force it though. Just bend it little by little until you feel that the back part is not that moving or feel loose anymore. Hope that helps. :)

You're talking about these right?

OhyWCyb.jpg

I saw in the instructions and pictures that they were supposed to be angled, sloping down the back a bit. I've managed to get them to end up there by shifting things around and it would seem to snap together. But, then the chest did not sit right and they would pop back up as i tried to get chest angled down.

Looking at the instructions again, I don't think I was ever able to get the tip of the cockpit to sit right in the neck piece. I bet that was my problem, I will try again.

You're talking about these right?

OhyWCyb.jpg

I saw in the instructions and pictures that they were supposed to be angled, sloping down the back a bit. I've managed to get them to end up there by shifting things around and it would seem to snap together. But, then the chest did not sit right and they would pop back up as i tried to get chest angled down.

Looking at the instructions again, I don't think I was ever able to get the tip of the cockpit to sit right in the neck piece. I bet that was my problem, I will try again.

Yup. I was referring to those. ;)

Check Hacchaka's photos. You can see that the shoulder plates are sloping down towards the back.

Here's some pics:

post-5552-0-01800600-1435127780_thumb.jpg post-5552-0-85463100-1435127787_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps. :)

@Gwynne it looks pretty good from the photo.. they are a little fiddly to transform and they dont really lock into place. But it looks like you got it pretty much right! You can pull out the fore arms a click or so and those folding thigh cover panels on the upper leg are meant to sit out than be folded rearward.. i think.. i guess its up to how you prefer it.

Congrats on getting your first DX valk! Im sure there will be many more to come! ;)

Good eye on the the arms. I managed to over look that as well. Going through the instruction manual again, Bandai was very thorough and did a good job. It's that reading comprehension that's not so good and the kid in me rushing things. I don't need instructions to tell me how to play with a toy! B))

And I was folding them out of the way before pulling the legs off the back of the plane. It was just once they were folded out, and even behind the leg, they kept popping off.

I'd suggest referring to transformation videos to be safe.

I know i referred to Jenius's anymoon videos.

I looked at his video and he kinda flys by that part. ^_^ Plus there is super armor in the way.

Yup. I was referring to those. ;)

Check Hacchaka's photos. You can see that the shoulder plates are sloping down towards the back.

Here's some pics:

attachicon.gif84ffd2fb.jpg attachicon.gif5e7c2f06.jpg

Hope that helps. :)

I gave it another shot and success. The pictures helped and I paid more attention to how the cockpit sat in the neck piece. Much better results.

dQOXU7H.jpg

Interesting, looks like I have been transforming my VF-25's wrong this whole time. I like how those panels look when they are on the shoulder rather than sloping down its back.

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with the way it looks, just how if shifts and flops around :p

Edited by Gwynne

I myself prefer the shoulder plate sections to be either more flat or even slightly forward facing as pictured above in Saburo's photo.. but hey to each their own..

like this! :D

*snip*

The YF-25 looks pretty sick with the blue Super Parts. I think I need to get one because I have a spare set of VF-25G Super Parts after I got the Tornado Parts. I wonder if I could deal with the wrong call sign on the parts. ^_^

I also display my Messiahs with the shoulder pads up because I think the look too lithe otherwise.

*snip*

I gave it another shot and success. The pictures helped and I paid more attention to how the cockpit sat in the neck piece. Much better results.

dQOXU7H.jpg

Good to see that everything is locked in place. Yeah, somehow I want to display my VF-25F/S with the shoulder armor aligned to the neck but it's kinda felt like it's wobbly and not solid. I guess, to each his own. ;)

Good eye on the the arms. I managed to over look that as well. Going through the instruction manual again, Bandai was very thorough and did a good job. It's that reading comprehension that's not so good and the kid in me rushing things. I don't need instructions to tell me how to play with a toy! B))

hehe! yeah i only discovered that the arms extend by accident and had been displaying them un-extended for a little while. Although some are quite tight to pull out.. :wacko: I never bothered to read the manuals much.. that has since changed! :D

hehe! yeah i only discovered that the arms extend by accident and had been displaying them un-extended for a little while. Although some are quite tight to pull out.. :wacko: I never bothered to read the manuals much.. that has since changed! :D

What?! It came with manual? :blink: All the while I'm just basing my transformation method via Jenius reviews, CollectionDX, or any YouTubers out there. :lol:

What?! It came with manual? :blink: All the while I'm just basing my transformation method via Jenius reviews, CollectionDX, or any YouTubers out there. :lol:

I think so.. you know I don't actually know!? might have to check the box when I get home! But now in general I do have a quick scan of the manual when ever something new comes along. And yes thank god for Jenius reviews and transformation guides! A true life saver! :)

P.S. nice sig mate! :p

I think so.. you know I don't actually know!? might have to check the box when I get home! But now in general I do have a quick scan of the manual when ever something new comes along. And yes thank god for Jenius reviews and transformation guides! A true life saver! :)

P.S. nice sig mate! :p

You're welcome, dear sir! :lol:

Yeah, true, Jenius and the others are life savers. Kudos sirs! ;)

The YF-25 looks pretty sick with the blue Super Parts. I think I need to get one because I have a spare set of VF-25G Super Parts after I got the Tornado Parts. I wonder if I could deal with the wrong call sign on the parts. ^_^

I also display my Messiahs with the shoulder pads up because I think the look too lithe otherwise.

Yeah the YF-25 tends to look a little too boring without the super parts on in my opinion.. The 25G parts are a perfect color match too! It really helps set it off!

And the 25G super parts are still quite cheap to get!

I don't even notice the wrong number anymore.. seeing how good the thing looks it really never bothered me in the first place!

Nice Merc Moosey! :) Is that a C63!?

*edit* ahh yes it is.. sorry couldn't zoom in the pic on the phone. Nice bit of kit!

Thanks Spanner, yeah it's a C63. I've been wanting one since the car was launched, but was only finally able to afford it recently.

It's so freaking awesome. Every time I start it, I grin a big cheesy grin.