Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

Is that Roy custom VF-25F a v1 DX Chogokin? Or is it a renewal?

its a renewal.. ^_^ I wouldn't have taken it if it was a v1.. those things are gross.. <_<

That's a great deal, man! Good karma! =)

ScreamMan did a fantastic job with the Roy custom! Any wip pics or tutorial, by any chance? Not that I have the skills to pull something like that off yet, just curious... XD

nahh sorry bro.. you'd have to hit up the man himself (Scream Man) for that! :)

Looks like a renewal to me. Look at the landing gear.

yes the landing gear are different between the two versions but you can easily tell from the entire body of the thing.. they may look similar from a relative distance away but up close its a no brainer! :D

Edited by spanner76

yes the landing gear are different between the two versions but you can easily tell from the entire body of the thing.. they may look similar from a relative distance away but up close its a no brainer! :D

Ha, I know. Landing gear is a blunt indicator. :)

Looking back at it it was the ventral fins that did it. But I see what you mean about the landing gear. I agree with you about the V1 chogokins, they are pretty nasty. Unfortunately it's all I have in a VF-25. It really made me hate the VF-25 design. I know the Renewal toys are supposed to be better, but some things don't change, like those ungainly wings off the back, God I hate that. Still the v1 wasn't all bad. I might need to replace it in the rotation though, since it is clearly inferior...

Ha, I know. Landing gear is a blunt indicator. :)

hehe! i know you know ;) but I thought I would still explain for the guys who don't.. ^_^

Looking back at it it was the ventral fins that did it. But I see what you mean about the landing gear. I agree with you about the V1 chogokins, they are pretty nasty. Unfortunately it's all I have in a VF-25. It really made me hate the VF-25 design. I know the Renewal toys are supposed to be better, but some things don't change, like those ungainly wings off the back, God I hate that. Still the v1 wasn't all bad. I might need to replace it in the rotation though, since it is clearly inferior...

which wings are you referring to? I love the whole design of the VF-25! I'll admit when I first started watching Frontier I wasn't so sure about to begin with but after a handful of episodes in I really started to love it! Although they are hugely different to a VF-1 you can still see a few points of influence in the design which I think was a nice touch. But when they released the v1 VF-25 bunch I wasn't so impressed.. to many clearly identifiable points that were inaccurate to the anime which really put me off.. actually im glad I wasn't collecting back then when they released the originals as I was preoccupied with my motorcycle racing and I highly doubt I would have bought any anyways.. then again I did buy a whole bunch of v1 VF-1's and they were pretty terrible too.. But the VF-1 is and has always been my favorite as I grew up with the original Macross which helped me push aside the v1's short comings. But then I sold off everything to go racing! hehe! :D

Don't get me wrong, the VF-25 is a good design. I personally don't care for it as much, since the wings just remind me of transformer kibble. That was one of the big draws for me, macross mecha look and feel like fighter jets when they're in fighter mode, they look and feel like robot war machines in Battroid mode. Everything is supposed to stow away neatly in the transformation. Maybe it's that the only toys I've had of it were the VF100 version and the v1 Chogokin, but the aesthetics just don't feel quite...right. Maybe its my bias, but the VF-25 feels too... Russian, to be a hero mech. I love the SV-51 because it has that same Sukhoi-esque quality, but it was a mook unit. And the VF-11 didn't feel wrong, even though it had the same kind of quality, since it was the redshirt mech.

Don't get me wrong, the VF-25 is a good design. I personally don't care for it as much, since the wings just remind me of transformer kibble. That was one of the big draws for me, macross mecha look and feel like fighter jets when they're in fighter mode, they look and feel like robot war machines in Battroid mode. Everything is supposed to stow away neatly in the transformation. Maybe it's that the only toys I've had of it were the VF100 version and the v1 Chogokin, but the aesthetics just don't feel quite...right. Maybe its my bias, but the VF-25 feels too... Russian, to be a hero mech. I love the SV-51 because it has that same Sukhoi-esque quality, but it was a mook unit. And the VF-11 didn't feel wrong, even though it had the same kind of quality, since it was the redshirt mech.

I don't think its very fair to relate a Valkyrie to a transformer.. especially over some winglets.. certain elements are always going to be visible in other modes after transformation.. I don't think it as a problem seeing that Valkyrie's do this considerably better than most if not all transformers and that the basis of a Valkyrie is that its a fighter jet to begin with and the other two modes are somewhat complimentary.

It would be extremely difficult to engineer a Valkyrie so not to have elements of each mode visible in others but in saying that with some of the later model Valkyrie variants they have been able cut down on the certain visible elements of each other mode a little better but this has resulted in far more complicated transformation processes. Then it begins to snowball.. the more elaborate the transformation, the more complicated it is to engineer, the more engineering it requires results in more cost. Then the manufacturer makes compromises and the Valkyrie toy becomes less faithful to the anime and the fans and collectors get emotional over it.

For example the VF-1 in battroid you can clearly see the fighter mode elements such as the cockpit, the mid upper section of fuselage, jet intakes and from behind you can see the wings. If you only ever saw a VF-1 in battroid to begin with you could quite easily paint a picture in your head what it more or less looks like in fighter mode.

Looking at a 19 and 25 for example, you no longer can see the cockpit section and more of the fuselage sections are hidden or tucked away in less visible areas. The lower winglets of the 25 to tuck away which is a nice feature as it would probably look silly for them sticking out due to their larger size compared to the small winglets on the VF-1 legs.

I would say if you had only seen a 19 or 25 in battroid mode it would be a lot harder to imagine what they would look like in fighter mode. Though I do see your point that a fighter should look like a fighter and battroid should look like a robot war machine. Of course some Valks do this better than others but personally I do like the visible fighter bits in VF-1 battroid! Kinda serves as a reminder of what it started out as and looks simple and effective. The VF-11 is quite similar to this.

I can see some Russian-esque features in the 25 yes, and the 51 looks clearly of Russian influence no doubt! I think once you get your hands on a few renewal 25 im more than sure you will appreciate them a whole lot more!

Those VF100 toys aren't really a good thing to reference from..

For some reason I keep thinking the SV-51 was influenced by the F-18. Anyways, nice pickup Spanner!

after reading what you just said, I glanced over at my Nora 51 and yes you can see influences from many real life fighter jets but I think thats pretty much common with all the Valks to be honest.

With the SV-51 her nose section is very Sukhoi Flanker, her nose gear is typical Russian setup, her main wings have very little sweep angle and long hump like spine behind the cockpit section both are similar to an F-18.

Spanner, I see what your saying and I get the necessity. I was just saying that the VF-25 doesn't seem as clean in battroid mode as other Valks, like the VF-0, VF-1, VF-11, VF-17/171, SV-51, or VF-19. It's the fact that the wings just don't stow away neatly like the Valks I just mentioned. Granted, it is not fair to compare a Valk to a transformer (I'd take my v1 chogokin over a MP07 Starscream any day), because despite what they look like in Battroid mode it's a clean fighter. it is the difference between a fighter that transforms into a Giant Robot, vs a Giant robot that transforms into a fighter. I'm sure I'd love the renewal version better, and I think you've convinced me to get one (the high praise from CollectionDX and ScorchedEarthToys helped too), but the design still isn't my favorite (that honor goes to the YF-19/VF-19A). There are aspects of the VF-19F/S that I don't care for either (Holy crap head lasers on the S, and the shape of the wings, and there's too much anime magic involved with the transformation). I just think that maybe the stowage on the wings of the VF-25 could have been handled differently, maybe have them oversweep to tuck them in a bit more. Did they ever release an alto vf-25 with armored parts? Or was it just the VF-25S Ozuma?

just picked me up another anime girl figure! Canaan from the anime series Canaan! pretty cool huh!? :D:wub:B))

Canaan.jpg

Nice Spanner. She is awesome. Been on my list for a long time. Can't resist anime girls with guns or Katanas!!

Spanner, I see what your saying and I get the necessity. I was just saying that the VF-25 doesn't seem as clean in battroid mode as other Valks, like the VF-0, VF-1, VF-11, VF-17/171, SV-51, or VF-19. It's the fact that the wings just don't stow away neatly like the Valks I just mentioned. Granted, it is not fair to compare a Valk to a transformer (I'd take my v1 chogokin over a MP07 Starscream any day), because despite what they look like in Battroid mode it's a clean fighter. it is the difference between a fighter that transforms into a Giant Robot, vs a Giant robot that transforms into a fighter. I'm sure I'd love the renewal version better, and I think you've convinced me to get one (the high praise from CollectionDX and ScorchedEarthToys helped too), but the design still isn't my favorite (that honor goes to the YF-19/VF-19A). There are aspects of the VF-19F/S that I don't care for either (Holy crap head lasers on the S, and the shape of the wings, and there's too much anime magic involved with the transformation). I just think that maybe the stowage on the wings of the VF-25 could have been handled differently, maybe have them oversweep to tuck them in a bit more. Did they ever release an alto vf-25 with armored parts? Or was it just the VF-25S Ozuma?

yeah you are right that the 25 aren't as clean but it helps give it a more spec / purpose built look I suppose! for me the cleanest one of all is still the VF-1. Even if you only bought one 25, say a 25A or even just Alto as they both go quite cheap these days.. An over sweep for the main wings would have been a great idea! help tuck them away a little more but they aren't so bad how they look I reckon.. But I wonder if there is room for a small modification to allow them to over sweep a little? And when you look at say the YF-30, its wings hang out the back like angel wings! which is probably the look they were going for or made no attempt at stowing them away.. But I rather like how they stick out!

I love the 19 also! probably my next favorite after the VF-1. I do prefer the head unit of the F over the S but my pic of the 19 bunch is the P!

The longer wings of the Kai & P variants plus the design of the wing roots are nicer, but in truth I love them all pretty much the same!

You can get Armor parts for both Alto and Ozma VF-25. They are just often crazy expensive! I have Ozma's armor parts which look awesome but I don't think I'll ever get them for Alto's 25 seeing its my least favorite of the 25 bunch so I don't want to spend money on parts for it.

Nice Spanner. She is awesome. Been on my list for a long time. Can't resist anime girls with guns or Katanas!!

Yeah she is very awesome! Eyeballed her for a long time and now im glad I finally added her to my collection!

The Canaan series was quite good too! maybe you should check it out! :) I might buy an Alphard to go with Canaan also..

Same here, I cant resist a pretty anime girl! Especially yielding a deadly weapon! but some of my other girls don't have weapons and they are still lovely!

Im picking up a Asada Shino (Sinon) figure from Sword Art Online2 and she looks totally bad ass too! B))

yeah you are right that the 25 aren't as clean but it helps give it a more spec / purpose built look I suppose! for me the cleanest one of all is still the VF-1. Even if you only bought one 25, say a 25A or even just Alto as they both go quite cheap these days.. An over sweep for the main wings would have been a great idea! help tuck them away a little more but they aren't so bad how they look I reckon.. But I wonder if there is room for a small modification to allow them to over sweep a little? And when you look at say the YF-30, its wings hang out the back like angel wings! which is probably the look they were going for or made no attempt at stowing them away.. But I rather like how they stick out!

I love the 19 also! probably my next favorite after the VF-1. I do prefer the head unit of the F over the S but my pic of the 19 bunch is the P!

The longer wings of the Kai & P variants plus the design of the wing roots are nicer, but in truth I love them all pretty much the same!

You can get Armor parts for both Alto and Ozma VF-25. They are just often crazy expensive! I have Ozma's armor parts which look awesome but I don't think I'll ever get them for Alto's 25 seeing its my least favorite of the 25 bunch so I don't want to spend money on parts for it.

I like the Alto, and I looked up the armor parts with the toy, and you're right, crazy expensive. I'll figure it out. But I think I'll go ahead and get a renewal.

I like the Alto, and I looked up the armor parts with the toy, and you're right, crazy expensive. I'll figure it out. But I think I'll go ahead and get a renewal.

sometimes the armor parts do come up for sale here for reasonable prices.. but you gotta be quick! There are still other parts sets available for cheaper, such as the supers & tornado parts. Possible alternatives..

im more than sure you wont regret getting a renewal!

The Canaan series was quite good too! maybe you should check it out! :) I might buy an Alphard to go with Canaan also..

Same here, I cant resist a pretty anime girl! Especially yielding a deadly weapon! but some of my other girls don't have weapons and they are still lovely!

Im picking up a Asada Shino (Sinon) figure from Sword Art Online2 and she looks totally bad ass too! B))

I've seen Canaan. It was pretty good alright.

Alphard is pretty expensive these days from what ice seen.

I'm going to buy a Sinon figure too, but haven't decided which one yet. The Kotobukiya one doesn't have the greatest pose and a few people have complained about the finish.

The Aquamarine one looks pretty good and the Pratead (never heard of them before) looks promising. Decisions decisions!

I've seen Canaan. It was pretty good alright.

Alphard is pretty expensive these days from what ice seen.

I'm going to buy a Sinon figure too, but haven't decided which one yet. The Kotobukiya one doesn't have the greatest pose and a few people have complained about the finish.

The Aquamarine one looks pretty good and the Pratead (never heard of them before) looks promising. Decisions decisions!

yes Alphard is quite pricey but I have spent silly money on other figures which I now look back on and thing.. why!?

I guess if you want something badly enough, then it becomes easy enough to justify. I think I definitely will cough up the dough for Alphard eventually. She looks very cool too!

I just paid for Sinon today so im expecting her to be shipped shortly. I bought the Phantom Bullet figure. I looked at many of the others but liked this one the most.

I rather like the pose of the Kotobukiya figure! She looks cute yet tough and not sIutty like in some of her other versions.. And seeing she was only 8k yen certainly not expensive either!

I did read a few reviews about her and yes some people did mention certain quality issues but other really liked her too! Some people are just overly fussy. She looks fantastic to me! :wub:

I will look over some of the other figures again and if any appeal to me who knows I may pick up another!? ^_^

FIGURE-006936.jpg

Edited by spanner76

I do love her expression in the Koto one, plus the colours of her outfit and her blue hair make for quite a striking figure alright.

I'd be interested to know if you could sit her against the wall/base rather than pegged in. Haven't seen anyone pose her like that though.

yes Alphard is quite pricey but I have spent silly money on other figures which I now look back on and thing.. why!?

I guess if you want something badly enough, then it becomes easy enough to justify. I think I definitely will cough up the dough for Alphard eventually. She looks very cool too!

I just paid for Sinon today so im expecting her to be shipped shortly. I bought the Phantom Bullet figure. I looked at many of the others but liked this one the most.

I rather like the pose of the Kotobukiya figure! She looks cute yet tough and not sIutty like in some of her other versions.. And seeing she was only 8k yen certainly not expensive either!

I did read a few reviews about her and yes some people did mention certain quality issues but other really liked her too! Some people are just overly fussy. She looks fantastic to me! :wub:

I will look over some of the other figures again and if any appeal to me who knows I may pick up another!? ^_^

I agree, looks fantastic. I love how good the hair and details are getting on figures these days!

My wife's new 2013 Racing Miku. I've got to say it's pretty damn cool. Very pose-able, great details on the bike.

Racing Miku 2013

My wife's new 2013 Racing Miku. I've got to say it's pretty damn cool. Very pose-able, great details on the bike.

I had considered getting her and the bike but resisted. But dang it after seeing her here looking so cool and casual I'm tempted once more! I do have a Racing Miku figure but wouldn't mind a getting a few more!

Edited by spanner76

Is that a build kit or just the magazine? Looks great regardless! :)

Both. Better description in the Models thread about 1/2400 scale SDF-1.

We received 4 new additions to our family today! Now, I finally got to see why everyone is moaning about the V1 Yamato Valks. And I would have to say compared to my V2 Roy, I can absolutely see their point. But I still love them! :D They still display great and for $25 each delivered I'm very happy with the purchase. If I had paid what they tend to go for I think I would have been disappointed. The transform wasn't as painful as the V1 Frotier Valks and my wife has a VF-100 (my god that was torturous to watch) so in comparison I think they are fairly manageable.

20150303 194541

We received 4 new additions to our family today! Now, I finally got to see why everyone is moaning about the V1 Yamato Valks. And I would have to say compared to my V2 Roy, I can absolutely see their point. But I still love them! :D They still display great and for $25 each delivered I'm very happy with the purchase. If I had paid what they tend to go for I think I would have been disappointed. The transform wasn't as painful as the V1 Frotier Valks and my wife has a VF-100 (my god that was torturous to watch) so in comparison I think they are fairly manageable.

Well for $25 each I don't think anyone could really complain is a v1.. ;) Edited by spanner76

ok here are some pics! it has been brush painted on but I really like that as it gives it a real "out in the field" weathered look! B))

Along with his other Skull repaints that we've seen already, Scream Man is pretty good at this!

Im not keeping this 25 for myself though.. this is going to my son.

20150301_110649.jpg

20150301_110612.jpg

20150301_110630.jpg

20150301_110716.jpg

20150301_110747.jpg

Sorry i didn't see this and all the replies to the plane from before.

So this was a 25F that I had that had the peg in the wingroot break when i put the tornado armor on it. So i bought a fresh 25F and thats what on my display now. BUT, I had this lying around so I figured id see how painting it works.

Spanner is being very sweet, i just gave it to him since it was more or less a mistake. The black head was because I kept stuffing up trying to match the pattern already there. i whitepainted out the SMS on the wing, but the longterm plan was to ginish whiting out the SMS markings and then adding NUNS kites and Skull logos. Never got aroun to finishing, but Spanner liked it as is so its all his now.

Maybe I'll take a crack at another one if the dollar comes back up and they get cheaper again.

Hehe! hey that's cool! I can't thank you enough for all the cool stuff you threw my way! Its a shame the 25 broke to begin with but on the other hand its good it broke and you replaced it cos now I have it! :p;)

Well my son will be taking it along with the 171's but at least you know they all went to a good loving home! :)

The paint job looks really great too! and the panel lining is fantastic! Really adds to the whole look! The Alto colors make a perfect donor Valk for it I must say! B))