Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

28ADC0AB-B3EA-4F82-A34D-C30993853301.jpeg.c07e591c7843493ebb16a72e22e3cae1.jpeg

My 6th HMR VF-1S Super Valkyrie.

how is the quality on this one?  Any noticeable differences in plastic thickness or diecast content?  I've been looking forward to the Orguss release but the pics so far have been disappointing.  Bandai's legendary design is there, but the figure seems to be completely lacking in diecast.  A real head scratcher for the HMR line.

18 minutes ago, MacrossMania said:

A "deck."  LOL the memories.

You used to skate? It’s never too late to pick it up again. I took about 20 years off but then my son started getting interested and we went to some skateparks and just like that, I got back into it. It’s been tough trying to get some tricks back but I’ve also learned new things I was never able to do before.

8 hours ago, MacrossMania said:

how is the quality on this one?  Any noticeable differences in plastic thickness or diecast content?  I've been looking forward to the Orguss release but the pics so far have been disappointing.  Bandai's legendary design is there, but the figure seems to be completely lacking in diecast.  A real head scratcher for the HMR line.

Similar in quality to the VF-1S Messer where it feels like slightly softer plastic.  Everything else is the same as other HMR VF-1s.

19 hours ago, Slave IV said:

You used to skate? It’s never too late to pick it up again. I took about 20 years off but then my son started getting interested and we went to some skateparks and just like that, I got back into it. It’s been tough trying to get some tricks back but I’ve also learned new things I was never able to do before.

saying that I skated is being dramatically generous.  I wouldn't go that far.  I bought a few boards and put them together old school 80's style, but left the real skating to my friends in West Hollywood (I'm an LA kid).  So yea, being from the West Coast I was definitely exposed to the culture (and loved it), but I would hardly call it skating.

1 hour ago, MacrossMania said:

saying that I skated is being dramatically generous.  I wouldn't go that far.  I bought a few boards and put them together old school 80's style, but left the real skating to my friends in West Hollywood (I'm an LA kid).  So yea, being from the West Coast I was definitely exposed to the culture (and loved it), but I would hardly call it skating.

Oh, haha gotcha! That's all good as long as you enjoyed it. 

Here's my old school style deck that I put together recently using a combination of old and new parts:

IMG_2831.jpg.57d673dfdd50aa131d0d02196e1f2e28.jpg

7 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Oh, haha gotcha! That's all good as long as you enjoyed it. 

Here's my old school style deck that I put together recently using a combination of old and new parts:

very cool.  I can't remember the deck I used.  Some of the ones I loved from the 80's below

Vintage_OG_Powell_Peralta_Red_Original_1

d1281fde6a295c4a391629e9c9b76dfa.jpg

1980_s_Vintage_Hot_Pink_Powell_Peralta_S

Vintage_Nos_1987_Vision_Psycho_Stick_Min

I don't care what anybody says.  80's had the best designs ever.  Doesn't matter if it was toys or skateboards.

10 minutes ago, MacrossMania said:

very cool.  I can't remember the deck I used.  Some of the ones I loved from the 80's below

Vintage_OG_Powell_Peralta_Red_Original_1

d1281fde6a295c4a391629e9c9b76dfa.jpg

1980_s_Vintage_Hot_Pink_Powell_Peralta_S

Vintage_Nos_1987_Vision_Psycho_Stick_Min

I don't care what anybody says.  80's had the best designs ever.  Doesn't matter if it was toys or skateboards.

Agreed on the 80’s. The 1/55 Chunky still can’t be beat to this day as the greatest TOY (not just Valk) ever made. 

That Mcgill is my favorite all time Powell graphic. But these were my favorite overall boards from back in the day. 
7bdd2ee74a8109ef86df61bd67fc7e3e.jpg

Edited by Slave IV

26 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Agreed on the 80’s. The 1/55 Chunky still can’t be beat to this day as the greatest TOY (not just Valk) ever made. 

That Mcgill is my favorite all time Powell graphic. But these were my favorite overall boards from back in the day. 
7bdd2ee74a8109ef86df61bd67fc7e3e.jpg

yea it was the perfect confluence of different cultural influences/phenomena - the skating scene coming to its peak, graffiti art finally being understood as real, high-borne art (i.e. Basquiat), and the magazine scene exploding with all of those great action shots that helped propel the skating scene.  I think all of it started to die in the nineties - over the top, carnivalesque colors, and lack of inspiration.  Much like the 90's redux of 80's properties like Tformers and GI Joe.

Did you ever see Dogtown and Z Boys?  Best skateboard documentary I've ever seen.   Really captures that time period.  Highly recommend it.  I think if you showed it to your son he would have a really good idea of where you're coming from. 

10 minutes ago, MacrossMania said:

yea it was the perfect confluence of different cultural influences/phenomena - the skating scene coming to its peak, graffiti art finally being understood as real, high-borne art (i.e. Basquiat), and the magazine scene exploding with all of those great action shots that helped propel the skating scene.  I think all of it started to die in the nineties - over the top, carnivalesque colors, and lack of inspiration.  Much like the 90's redux of 80's properties like Tformers and GI Joe.

Did you ever see Dogtown and Z Boys?  Best skateboard documentary I've ever seen.   Really captures that time period.  Highly recommend it.  I think if you showed it to your son he would have a really good idea of where you're coming from. 

Well said. Yeah, I’ve seen it but my family hasn’t. They’ve watched a lot of skate videos though. Bones Brigade Search For Animal Chin and stuff like that to current videos. We’ll get to that movie again sometime but good reminder. Thanks!

Four new Mafex figures and the new Plum Gradius 2 Vic Viper model (yet to be panel-lined/glued in spots)  The Cyclopse figure is being almost unanimously reviewed wrong concerning his paint apps too.  Great figure.

20230506_154022.jpg.d3affafd13219e12a6e54a36ad656f90.jpg

Got the recent re-issue of TruForce Megaman. This thing is pretty amazing, and well worth the price especially when every other toy has rocketed upwards in price recently..

Someday hope to pick up the Riobot Megaman in Falcon armor to match it.

TruForceMegamanX.jpg.c90f1b3a28b34ba4c157cc3e9b6a1829.jpg

On 5/10/2023 at 4:23 PM, MKT said:

Got the recent re-issue of TruForce Megaman. This thing is pretty amazing, and well worth the price especially when every other toy has rocketed upwards in price recently..

Someday hope to pick up the Riobot Megaman in Falcon armor to match it.

TruForceMegamanX.jpg.c90f1b3a28b34ba4c157cc3e9b6a1829.jpg

Sadly the Falcon Armor is not the same quality as the Mega Man X one.

I still super bummed that Truforce never did other armor designs or the robot masters.

Could you imagine a Storm Eagle with the same intricate design, build and paint as Mega Man? It would be sooo good.

I’m also bummed that I never picked up the black version of X when it was reasonably priced. 

10 hours ago, Scyla said:

Sadly the Falcon Armor is not the same quality as the Mega Man X one.

I still super bummed that Truforce never did other armor designs or the robot masters.

Could you imagine a Storm Eagle with the same intricate design, build and paint as Mega Man? It would be sooo good.

I’m also bummed that I never picked up the black version of X when it was reasonably priced. 

Yeah TruForce really wasted opportunity to have not gone with other armors. A Zero would be great. They really have a winner with this Mega Man X. The engineering is pretty awesome, lots of articulation with old-school gokin weight in hand.

On one hand I’m a bit bummed to have only discovered this relatively recently, thereby missing out on the 3 other gorgeous limited repaints, but on other hand I’m thankful to have at least the X without paying aftermarket premium.

I’m happy if they could somehow release those limited repaints again, let alone other armors.