Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

I'm hoping for a reissue myself but if I already paid that much I wouldn't mind doing the Shapeways fix with the shoulders in black or grey. I think the contrast would look much better than the original. I get that it's not a look for everybody though.

The 30ths are cheap, but it's still 70 bucks. The shapeways link has a black option actually.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/463232/kanzen-henkei-1-60-scale-fighter-variable-hinge.html?materialId=25

IDK. Where do you get the pins?

I watched Veefs video but he seemed to take the whole thing apart.

I could just cannibalize my 30th... and pick up another sometime. It's not my favorite valk haha

Edited by Gakken85

Ouch, Gakken! Those pictures bring back bad memories of my two unsafe Yamato Valkyries. When I replaced my shoulders, I reused the original hinges. You can file down the knurled end or cut it down slightly with a small pair of cutting pliers. The modified pin will still fit and will not deter the hinge in any way when you put the arm back together.

Hi gakken don´t give back that vt-1 you wont find another one later and if you do they are all broken. just repair it. if you need help repairing it just send me a pm and will tell you how step by step.

the vt-1 is the most precious thing in my collection your collection will not be the same without it. dont give it back JUST SAVE IT!!

I would be bothered by it as well, but I agree that you should just try to repair it and put it in Fighter or Gerwalk mode. Soon you'll forget about the different color of shapeways part, and you'll still have that fabulous VT-1 on display to admire. :)

Edited by abbadon

I would be bothered by it as well, but I agree that you should just try to repair it and it in fighter mode or Gerwalk mode. Soon you'll forget about the different color of shapeways part, and you'll still have that fabulous VT-1 on display to admire. :)

Good point.

September ended up being expensive for me - but this is all in now!

5nlq39.jpg

The Stealth is something I've been wanting for a while, and I found it for 19,440 shipped on Jungle. I was a bit nervous, never having done Jungle before, and that seemed to good to be true.... but now that it's here, I'm quite pleased. Everything seems intact. The box is worn and some stickers are applied, but that's fine. Only real problem is the tow bar likes to fall off the nosewheel - and he'll be in Battroid mostly anyway, so meh.

Wheeljack arriving the same day was just icing on the cake.

Today, I am pleased. :D

Saburo - That looks awesome! didn't know you collected 3P's too. How's the articulation in gestalt mode? does it feel floppy?

David - Are you going to open Wheeljack ?

Moosey - That model kit looks great. Wish that was a toy :D

Welp. I said frakk it and ZEE operation was an Succezzz!!! Zee patient is alive! ALIVE!

I tried to file down the original pin, and super glue the original shoulder, but it didn't quite work out. I ended up cutting the pin and it was too short to hold the weight right.

So, I cannibalized my VF-1J 30th. (Sorry Tenjin) and slapped the black shoulders on there. I have to say, and agree with Valk Fighter and CoryD the black looks nice. One of the VF-1J 30th sides was a bit loose on the pivot, but oh well. I test it and it locked in the battroid/gerwalk shoulder down position and swings fine.

I decided to just leave the arms off the 30th until I could buy a black shapeways to get it back to full functional deformation mode. It went back together without the arms and looks fine ... as good as it can look.. in fighter mode.

I guess you're not a real Macross fan until you take a VF-1 V2 apart and replace something :D It was a fun learning experience. Thanks to wmkjr, chyll2, xrentonx, CoreyD, technoblue, valkfighter, and abbadon for the help and encouragement!

Also thanks to veef for having those videos up.

S8tkgTt.jpg

T1lhlZ0.jpg

mv0MiGh.jpg

Edited by Gakken85

I am a sucker for devastator. I am leaning towards the maketoys one.

I would definitely recommend the Maketoys Devastator. I have one and its my favorite of all my combiners. :D

15324923276_cb54ef57cf_b.jpg

sorry to break the discussion: my yf-30 and wheeljack made it today.

Nice! What are your thoughts on Wheeljack?

Saburo - That looks awesome! didn't know you collected 3P's too. How's the articulation in gestalt mode? does it feel floppy?

Moosey - That model kit looks great. Wish that was a toy :D

Welp. I said frakk it and ZEE operation was an Succezzz!!! Zee patient is alive! ALIVE!

I tried to file down the original pin, and super glue the original shoulder, but it didn't quite work out. I ended up cutting the pin and it was too short to hold the weight right.

So, I cannibalized my VF-1J 30th. (Sorry Tenjin) and slapped the black shoulders on there. I have to say, and agree with Valk Fighter and CoryD the black looks nice. One of the VF-1J 30th sides was a bit loose on the pivot, but oh well. I test it and it locked in the battroid/gerwalk shoulder down position and swings fine.

I decided to just leave the arms off the 30th until I could buy a black shapeways to get it back to full functional deformation mode. It went back together without the arms and looks fine ... as good as it can look.. in fighter mode.

I guess you're not a real Macross fan until you take a VF-1 V2 apart and replace something :D It was a fun learning experience. Thanks to wmkjr, chyll2, xrentonx, CoreyD, technoblue, valkfighter, and abbadon for the help and encouragement!

Also thanks to veef for having those videos up.

Congratulations on the surgery being a success!

Thanks, I'll have studio pics of Feral Rex aka Predaking soon. I used to collect TFs but I stopped collecting TFs and sold a vast majority of my TF collection to focus on Macross instead. I still collect 3P Combiners. :)

The articulations for FR in gestalt mode is not bad. The arms don't have much range of motion due to the sheet size of his forearms and shoulders. The legs are pretty good, you can pose him in some dynamic stances. FR is something to see in person, he is massive. I haven't placed him next to the other Decepticon Combiners because he doesn't fit on the shelf where the others are located. I'll post pics of all them together on my flickr and facebook page. :)

Edited by Saburo

Guest davidwhangchoi

Nice! What are you thoughts on Wheeljack?

i just threw him on top of the other mp cars that are sitting boxed up on my couch. the yf-30 is just sitting there as well. i'll get around to him eventually. i'm currently messing with a lenovo tab that just came in.

Yeah. We'll see how the claim with paypal goes. I could try to superglue it but I'm sure it would snap again eventually.

I'd rather eat the $30 bucks to mail it back and get my $300 buck than keep it and be unsatisfied with it.

I'll def. think twice before I buy anything used from Jungle haha

DO NOT use super glue; it'll make a mess and won't hold. That part is made of ABS so you should use plastic weld formulated for ABS:

• Enlarge the pivot-pin hole to alleviate stress and hold the broken pieces together, just touching;
  • Dab a droplet of liquid weld to the gaps between the parts and let capillary action carry the solvent in;
  • Clamp the part so that the the repair is stabilized and squeezed with constant pressure ( small vise, clamps, or clothes pin should do the trick) and look for a bit of melted plastic oozing from the join -- that's a good thing
  • Let the part rest unmolested for about a day;
  • Carefully scrape off with a hobby knife, or file down, or sand the now cured ridge of plastic that oozed out of the join so that the surfaces are flush.

If you do it right, it should be hard to tell that the hinge was ever broken at all.

I would definitely recommend the Maketoys Devastator. I have one and its my favorite of all my combiners. :D

15324923276_cb54ef57cf_b.jpg

Nice. It has been awhile since I bought a transformer. I like the masterpiece stuff, but other than that I can't stand them anymore. They are pretty lazy, and no fun to transform. I have been trying to decide which third party to get to get me back into collecting TF. I've been looking at the 3p Devastator gestalts for a few years now. Maybe I can make a stand adapter...

8cr5uyPl.jpg

I am glad I finally pulled the trigger on an SV-51. I think I have lucked out. Seems to be tight, and I have had no issues with the wing joints so far. I might need to acquire the other two... This may be my favorite gerwalk mode too.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

DO NOT use super glue; it'll make a mess and won't hold. That part is made of ABS so you should use plastic weld formulated for ABS:

• Enlarge the pivot-pin hole to alleviate stress and hold the broken pieces together, just touching;
  • Dab a droplet of liquid weld to the gaps between the parts and let capillary action carry the solvent in;
  • Clamp the part so that the the repair is stabilized and squeezed with constant pressure ( small vise, clamps, or clothes pin should do the trick) and look for a bit of melted plastic oozing from the join -- that's a good thing
  • Let the part rest unmolested for about a day;
  • Carefully scrape off with a hobby knife, or file down, or sand the now cured ridge of plastic that oozed out of the join so that the surfaces are flush.

If you do it right, it should be hard to tell that the hinge was ever broken at all.

Never heard of this glue.

Anybody got a product link on this?

Edited by Gakken85

technically it is not a glue, since it is a chemical that melt plastic in a controlled manner (or not, depend on how it is handled), melting the plastic and joining two broken piece of plastic this way by pushing both together creates a stronger bond. hence the "plastic weld" term.

Edited by chyll2

Here are the latest additions to my 2-month collection :( :

Very nice, the collection is steadily growing! :)

Nice. It has been awhile since I bought a transformer. I like the masterpiece stuff, but other than that I can't stand them anymore. They are pretty lazy, and no fun to transform. I have been trying to decide which third party to get to get me back into collecting TF. I've been looking at the 3p Devastator gestalts for a few years now. Maybe I can make a stand adapter...

I stopped collecting TFs and Sold off a majority of my collection I still buy 3P combiners and a few other figures I like but TFs no where near the level Macross purchases.

I am glad I finally pulled the trigger on an SV-51. I think I have lucked out. Seems to be tight, and I have had no issues with the wing joints so far. I might need to acquire the other two... This may be my favorite gerwalk mode too.

Awesome! Its a nice looking fighter. Which reminds me I have one sitting at my place which I need to take pics of.

Interesting. Do hardware stores carry it or do I need to buy off ze nets?

I bought a bottle of Ambroid Pro Weld at a local hobby shop, hopefully you can find it locally.

Here's a link of the product

http://www.amazon.com/Ambroid-110-Pro-Weld/dp/B0035Y26HS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Another alternative is Tenax-7R

http://www.amazon.com/Tenax-7R/dp/B00EMXTBG0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411233679&sr=8-1