Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

10 hours ago, sqidd said:

My Mandy orders have been taking between three days and three weeks. All EMS.

All of a sudden I get a text update saying that my package will arrive this Thursday. Which is thrilling and disappointing all at the same time. 

Thrilling because it’ll be here soon, but disappointing because I turn around and leave for a Bolt Action tournament as soon as I get home that day...

19 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Congrats @sqidd That's a really good price shipped, plus the fact it looks brand new & untouched! :D

For a $105.00 shipped I picked up another Yamato 1/48 Roy Focker, I felt it was a good price & nabbed it!! B)) 

IMG_9446.JPG

I still think one of the most impressive details on that version is how Yamato actually went to the trouble to paint the wiring on the gear.  For all of Bandai's obsession with tampo, I'd trade all the "NO STEP"s in an instant for painted gear.

5 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I still think one of the most impressive details on that version is how Yamato actually went to the trouble to paint the wiring on the gear.  For all of Bandai's obsession with tampo, I'd trade all the "NO STEP"s in an instant for painted gear.

As much as I like my Bandai 1/48's (and I do!). It really would have been nice of they basically took the Yamato and added 20yrs of technology, design and production technique to it. The only thing I don't like about my Yamato's is that they a lot less refined, things are looser, etc. Aside from that the Yamato's are pretty much perfect.

Watching Jenius' comparison video was very telling. I sold my one 1:48 Yamato off years ago (which I did adore at the time) and went with all 1:60V2's from then on out.  The DX does do several things better as he pointed out in the comparison video.  Little things, a lot of which I hadn't really caught just by of the amount of time gone by and looking at people's pics here.  We all know that Bandai will never best Yamato in the sheer choices of paint schemes, but it has to be said in my opinion that other than the stupid non white landing gear, the teeny weeny TV pilots, the the odd fall apart waist gimmick, (which I do get having it but dang it's annoying), and the arms not locking as securely as the should in fighter mode, the DX engineering wise is king of the hill.  We'll see how they stand the test of time.  In 10 years will they still be as good as the V2's are now?  Time will tell I suppose. 

Edited by derex3592

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Same here. I'd much rather apply a few decals myself than go through the hassle of carefully masking and painting the landing gear and having to take great care not to accidentally peel off Bandai's shoddy tampo application.

And yet despite Bandai's tampo craze, they still miss some key markings that I consider a must, like the ejection seat warnings and the skull insignia behind the cockpit. Then there's the stupid 100 printing...

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Watching Jenius' comparison video was very telling. I sold my one 1:48 Yamato off years ago (which I did adore at the time) and went with all 1:60V2's from then on out.  The DX does do several things better as he pointed out in the comparison video.  Little things, a lot of which I hadn't really caught just by of the amount of time gone by and looking at people's pics here.  We all know that Bandai will never best Yamato in the sheer choices of paint schemes, but it has to be said in my opinion that other than the stupid non white landing gear, the teeny weeny TV pilots, the the odd fall apart waist gimmick, (which I do get having it but dang it's annoying), and the arms not locking as securely as the should in fighter mode, the DX engineering wise is king of the hill.  We'll see how they stand the test of time.  In 10 years will they still be as good as the V2's are now?  Time will tell I suppose. 

"Except for [insert long list of drawbacks], the DX is the best VF-1 ever!"

Reminds me of a drug commercial where most of the run time is spent on warnings and side effects.

"If your gunpod stays extended for more than four hours, please see your doctor right away." :lol:

Another thing I've noticed is how far forward leaning the DX front landing gear is, which became even more noticeable after @jenius posted his side by side comparison pic:

Bandai-DX-VF-1S-Hikaru-5.jpg.0ca17bfbcad3e58c6bc338cf42f829e1.thumb.jpg.6a1c3929c04f4588f303862b1290dc06.jpg

Not a major thing, but now I can't unsee it.

Also, even the DX DYRL pilot is still too small, but way better than the TV pilots.

5 hours ago, derex3592 said:

10 years?  Just hope the joints and stuff to not be loosey-goosey after a year or so...

3 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Nice! Who makes those?

Majestic Studios made the toys. 

Lore-wise the original reptilian Cylons made the Centurions, after they were beguiled by a god-like being (sound familiar?) named Count Iblis. The Centurions ended up exterminating  the original Cylons and taking the name. Its a much more interesting tale than the reboot version IMO.

56 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

Tell that to this guy:
Imperious_Leader_Original_Costume_06.thumb.jpeg.9083fcf5f5802d8fbf53262438445ba9.jpeg

Attention, attention, the Imperious Leader will be with us shortly...

2 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

Lore-wise the original reptilian Cylons made the Centurions, after they were beguiled by a god-like being (sound familiar?) named Count Iblis. The Centurions ended up exterminating  the original Cylons and taking the name. Its a much more interesting tale than the reboot version IMO.

Attention, attention, the Imperious Leader will be with us shortly...

Nice, thanks!

3 hours ago, Podtastic said:

I’m still a fan of the Ron Moore BSG backstory.  They just developed a lot of good stories out of the “Humans built the Cylons” idea.

But I still tip my cap to the old series for coming up with awesome designs. :hi:

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Not bad! I stopped looking a while ago just because like I said, I'm hoping for something better to come in the future.

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

Ditto

It has some flaws, but the Toynami Beta is pretty freakin’ awesome.  Ratchet-joints in key spots and a nice heft to it.

There are some gaps here and there, but the bomber mode still looks good, and the fighter combo with the Alpha is hard to beat (assuming you luck out and get a good looking Alpha).

Not sure what they’re going for now, but I never regretted getting the Beta.

24 minutes ago, Bobby said:

I think Lexus :p

2016-Lexus-RX-450h-Hybrid-grille.jpg

LOL!

8 minutes ago, Mog said:

I’m still a fan of the Ron Moore BSG backstory.  They just developed a lot of good stories out of the “Humans built the Cylons” idea.

But I still tip my cap to the old series for coming up with awesome designs. :hi:

It has some flaws, but the Toynami Beta is pretty freakin’ awesome.  Ratchet-joints in key spots and a nice heft to it.

There are some gaps here and there, but the bomber mode still looks good, and the fighter combo with the Alpha is hard to beat (assuming you luck out and get a good looking Alpha).

Not sure what they’re going for now, but I never regretted getting the Beta.

I could never get into any BSG except the original, which I loved.

Yeah, the Toynami Beta is nice but the problem with it is not itself but the Alpha that you mentioned. I want the whole package to be good. Since I waited this long already, (gladly) passed on the ET versions, I'm putting my money on Sentinel to fulfill my destiny.