Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

After dithering several years whether to get these, I finally caved in. In the spirit of the latest Avengers movie of course. :D 

41002056774_e812e9d6b8_c.jpg

39906076520_16862d9271_c.jpg

Happy that I was able to get the Hulkbuster at a reasonable price, considering that it used to sell in the aftermarket upwards of USD400.

52 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

Whoa! I don’t think I’ve seen anyone grow their Macross valk collection so fast since GundamEFSF. I may be wrong, but it felt like he got more than 20 1/60 valks in the span of a month or two. 

Pardon my asking, but may I know how you got so interested in the Macross mecha? Most, if not all, of the female fans I know are more into the characters and/or songs. Some own a few valks, but I don’t think they’re as into it as to really build a collection of them. At best, they’re more like accessories for the character goods they have.

I am not really a fan of mecha shows. 

If I had to choose, I'd rather go with piloted mecha like Gundam instead of sentient robots like the Transformers. But even then, shows like Gundam don't really interest me.

But from a young age, I have always liked airplanes, particularly fighter jets. At first, I thought it would be cool to grow up and fly them. Then, around middle school or high school, I thought it would be cool to build them. I applied to MIT, Caltech, and Purdue because they had strong aero/astro programs. Ultimately, I went computer science after the undergraduate aero/astro weed-out course kind of kicked me in the butt. CS was, frankly, a much more easy major, and I could still do aero/astro related studies in CS, like avionic and navigational computing.

But, getting to my point... Macross' jet designs were kind of the gateway for me to enjoy a mecha show. Admittedly, if you notice from my collection pictures, I never keep my toys in robot mode. They are pretty much all in fighter mode... because that looks the best! Gerwalk mode is kind of interesting. While I have so many problems with the physics behind it, in regards to thrust vectors and shifting centers of gravity in both a space and atmospheric setting, I do greatly appreciate the VTOL concept behind it.

In the end, you love what you love. Valkyries appealed to me in a way that other mecha did not. 

If Macross did not use jet designs for their mecha, but instead used mecha like Gundams... I probably would not have been all that interested in the show.

I hope that makes sense... 

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

2 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I am not really a fan of mecha shows. 

If I had to choose, I'd rather go with piloted mecha like Gundam instead of sentient robots like the Transformers. But even then, shows like Gundam don't really interest me.

But from a young age, I have always like airplanes, particularly fighter jets. At first, I thought it would be cool to grow up and fly them. Then, around middle school or high school, I thought it would be cool to build them. I applied to MIT, Caltech, and Purdue because they had strong aero/astro programs. Ultimately, I went computer science after the aero/astro weed-out course kind of kicked me in the butt. CS was, frankly, a much more easy major, and I could still do aero/astro related studies in CS, like avionic and navigational computing.

But, getting to my point... Macross' jet designs were kind of the gateway for me to enjoy a mecha show. Admittedly, if you notice from my collection pictures, I never keep my toys in robot mode. They are pretty much all in fighter mode... because that looks the best! Gerwalk mode is kind of interesting. While I have so many problems with the physics behind it, in regards to thrust vectors and shifting centers of gravity in both a space and atmospheric setting, I do greatly appreciate the VTOL concept behind it.

In the end, you love what you love. Valkyries appealed to me in a way that other mecha did not. 

If Macross did not use jet designs for their mecha, but instead used mecha like Gundams... I probably would not have been all that interested in the show.

I hope that makes sense... 

Cool! Similar reason to why I like Macross so much and it immediately became my favorite anime series in the 80's to today. Only thing is I love the Gerwalk mode! That's what put it over the top for me. It would not be as cool if it was just Fighter to Battroid and back transformations.

13 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Cool! Similar reason to why I like Macross so much and it immediately became my favorite anime series in the 80's to today. Only thing is I love the Gerwalk mode! That's what put it over the top for me. It would not be as cool if it was just Fighter to Battroid and back transformations.

Oh, I love the look and the concept of Gerwalk mode. But it is a bit of a physics nightmare.

Interestingly enough, Gerwalk mode works for me more with Super/Strike parts on a VF-1 in a space setting, thanks to the addition of the side thrusters built into the backpack and leg armor, though I really wish there were also thrusters along the top of the packs, to provide counter thrust for when the legs are pointed downward. But, that is a minor quibble.

1 minute ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Oh, I love the look and the concept of Gerwalk mode. But it is a bit of a physics nightmare.

Interestingly enough, Gerwalk mode works for me more with Super/Strike parts on a VF-1 in a space setting, thanks to the addition of the side thrusters built into the backpack and leg armor, though I really wish there were also thrusters along the top of the packs, to provide counter thrust for when the legs are pointed downward. But, that is a minor quibble.

I can't say for sure but I think the feet are rarely pointed downwards when in space and they mostly work from the thrust from the backpack or super packs to propel forward and used the foot thusters for balance/acrobatic type moves.

6 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I can't say for sure but I think the feet are rarely pointed downwards when in space and they mostly work from the thrust from the backpack or super packs to propel forward and used the foot thusters for balance/acrobatic type moves.

It is more that when a valkyrie in Gerwalk mode is descending with its feet down, I keep asking myself where that downward force vector is coming from. In atmosphere, I get that the downward force can be from gravity, presumably 9.8 m/s^2 minus the counter thrust from the feet for a controlled descent.... but in space when a valkyrie "descends" onto a surface with its legs down, my mind starts racing a bit. LOL

1 minute ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

It is more that when a valkyrie in Gerwalk mode is descending with its feet down, I keep asking myself where that downward force vector is coming from. In atmosphere, I get that the downward force can be gravity, presumably 9.8 m/s^2 minus the counter thrust from the feet for a controlled descent.... but in space when a valkyrie "descends" onto a surface with its legs down, my mind starts racing a bit. LOL

Ah, gotcha! Haha, anime magic!

6 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Ah, gotcha! Haha, anime magic!

Interestingly enough, it is why I like the Super packs on the VF-11. Those packs have thrusters on a diagonal tilt, thereby having a thrust factor that goes both upwards and sideways.

Image result for vf-11 super

whereas from what I can see, the VF-1 pack's thrusters really point to the side.... or at least, not substantially vectored upwards

vf-1s-fastpack-fighter.gif

But like I said, minor quibble.

13 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

It is more that when a valkyrie in Gerwalk mode is descending with its feet down, I keep asking myself where that downward force vector is coming from. In atmosphere, I get that the downward force can be from gravity, presumably 9.8 m/s^2 minus the counter thrust from the feet for a controlled descent.... but in space when a valkyrie "descends" onto a surface with its legs down, my mind starts racing a bit. LOL

Inertia, and they pitched up?

@Shizuka the Cat Thanks for the reply. So it’s really more about your love of airplanes and the science behind flight. That’s cool. I guess I’m similar in the fact that I’ve always loved airplanes since I was young, probably because my dad was an airline pilot. I wanted to be one too (played so many flight simulators and fighter jet games) but unfortunately my eyesight didn’t hold long enough. Still one of my biggest letdowns.

So I guess if ever I have a daughter, I need to teach her to love planes as well so she can appreciate these toys as much as I do haha.

32 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Inertia, and they pitched up?

Perhaps. Admittedly, Macross takes some liberties.

For example, in Macross Plus episode 2, around 33:45 in, you see the YF-21 in robot mode kicking the YF-19, also in robot mode, twice in mid-air.

However, the YF-21 is above the YF-19, and is also applyinf downward engine thrust to slow down its rate of descent... yet somehow is able to kick a free-falling YF-19 below it... twice?

The first kick should have accelerated the YF-19 further downward, and per Newton's 3rd law, reduced the YF-21's descent. But the YF-21 is able to get a second hit in, without any apparent source of thrust to accelerate the YF-21 towards the YF-19 beneath it, nor any apparent thruster on the part of the YF-19 to slow down its fall.... at least, not in the time between the 2 kicks.

Little things like that which my eyes always seem to catch. But anime magic... and hand-drawn at that... so what can you do? LOL

15 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

@Shizuka the Cat Thanks for the reply. So it’s really more about your love of airplanes and the science behind flight. That’s cool. I guess I’m similar in the fact that I’ve always loved airplanes since I was young, probably because my dad was an airline pilot. I wanted to be one too (played so many flight simulators and fighter jet games) but unfortunately my eyesight didn’t hold long enough. Still one of my biggest letdowns.

So I guess if ever I have a daughter, I need to teach her to love planes as well so she can appreciate these toys as much as I do haha.

Girls can like anything guys can, and vice versa. 

And liking jets can foster an interest that can lead to a career in engineering, physics, mathematics, computer science, and more! So definitely encourage your daughter.... or son for that matter.... to pick up a variety of interests that may just look cool to a kid, but can influence them into adulthood and beyond.

I had my daughter on my lap watching Top Gear from birth. Hung a Bf-109 from her ceiling too. 

Nine years later, she watches The Grand Tour with me. 

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎25 at 7:49 PM, Lolicon said:

Grats on the cheap 31C! Hopefully the super parts don't go up in price, but even Messer's has climbed up quite a bit post-release.

I've been poking around Manda, Amiami, Jungle, NY and Fromjapan auctions once on a blue moon and seen the prices for Messer's Supers. Hopefully that I can get Mirage's at a reasonable price (without loosing a limb or two). :lol: 

Edited by borgified

10 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

You know those “nozzles” that look like two semicircles? They are supposed to be small thrusters around the valk to control movement. So it is possible that the downward thrust comes from these. 

But Anime magic is probably the more believable answer. I mean, if the laws of physics held in the anime, Hikaru would have died a very ugly death the moment he went outside that airlock without a pressurized space suit and helmet... LOL

41 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

You know those “nozzles” that look like two semicircles? They are supposed to be small thrusters around the valk to control movement. So it is possible that the downward thrust comes from these. 

But Anime magic is probably the more believable answer. I mean, if the laws of physics held in the anime, Hikaru would have died a very ugly death the moment he went outside that airlock without a pressurized space suit and helmet... LOL

Also, are there supposed to be thrusters built into the wing tips of the VF-1? 

image.png.066391d8166112ff8c621eedc0c70de0.png

Look on the bottom of the VF-1 and you’ll see four of those circular thrusters. They are sufficiently powerful to lift a Super Ostrich in fighter mode into full VTOL flight from Earth’s surface. So they have more oomph than they may appear!

35 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

E9FB2BAF-EC7C-423F-A9A5-3CE0E5E4A04E.thumb.jpeg.aec558fc1d6f0c07000057c2fbeda5d3.jpeg

Got the Marvel Legends Thor and Valkyrie set for $0.48 plus tax after using a free gift card.  Yeah that’s about right for this set.

Haha, yeah. Not sure I'd even spend a coupon on it, lol. But I have been eying it and the 3.75" Enchantress set on clearance everywhere. 

just got this my first HMR Valkyrie

IMG_3920.thumb.JPG.46298f75ba298066e71503db3a08ded9.JPGIMG_3922.thumb.JPG.fb761a60f68855d15dc686be707e42a0.JPGIMG_3927.thumb.JPG.ccb887af0cf5a9073ba0207aef21cccb.JPGIMG_3926.thumb.JPG.985c06b99b21a3b1e75f453b0fb17f29.JPG

Not sure why is called Hi Metal cause there isn't too much diecast to begin with, still the plastic quality in the whole figure and its accessory is damn great , not to mention the Valkyrie itself is very well detailed for such a small figure,  so yeah looking forward to own my next HMR the Super Ostrich :D

30 minutes ago, Alex GS said:

just got this my first HMR Valkyrie

IMG_3920.thumb.JPG.46298f75ba298066e71503db3a08ded9.JPGIMG_3922.thumb.JPG.fb761a60f68855d15dc686be707e42a0.JPGIMG_3927.thumb.JPG.ccb887af0cf5a9073ba0207aef21cccb.JPGIMG_3926.thumb.JPG.985c06b99b21a3b1e75f453b0fb17f29.JPG

Not sure why is called Hi Metal cause there isn't too much diecast to begin with, still the plastic quality in the whole figure and its accessory is damn great , not to mention the Valkyrie itself is very well detailed for such a small figure,  so yeah looking forward to own my next HMR the Super Ostrich :D

So, basically the HMR VF-1S Strike Hikaru, minus the strike cannon add-on, and a different head?

7 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

So, basically the HMR VF-1S Strike Hikaru, minus the strike cannon add-on, and a different head?

That is correct! I believe that that this one with Max (and the green coloured one?) was in one of the scenes in DYRL. It's been a awhile since I saw DYRL (bootlegged version) on DVD.  

49 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

The Tallgeese is from Bluefin.

Why is the TG in a P-Bandai box? Is it like a clear version, maybe it's the TG2?

EDIT:

Also what line/series are those 1/144 toys and how's the quality on them?

Edited by kajnrig

36 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Why is the TG in a P-Bandai box? Is it like a clear version, maybe it's the TG2?

EDIT:

Also what line/series are those 1/144 toys and how's the quality on them?

It's the Special Coating version of the Tallgeese.

The 1/144 Valkyries are from CharaWorks

This month’s HLJ haul.

Zoids are nice to mix things up from the usual humanoid Gundam kits.

Daizyuzin Minipla was on sale, plus it’s a nifty, comparatively inexpensive representation of the mecha.

The newest main character Gundam kit, yeah it’s based on an older kit, but it’s a solid and poseable build.

And the newest Lupinranger mecha, Scissors and Blade Dial Fighters, a pair of bladed stealth based fighter jets. (Plus this month’s free campaign item, the hammer dial fighter)

EBA94CA4-FBC8-4C59-99E0-4901865A3494.jpeg

Edited by iguanaman8989

5 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

20180427_170257.thumb.jpg.1dc43a23d882ee468ddc61376132727c.jpg

I wish I'd been buying Macross merch back when all the blind-box stuff came out, it's so much more expensive nowadays. Lucked out on this set from Mandarake, however.

The Tallgeese is from Bluefin.

Ah so you're the jerk who got to it before me! 

Congrats on the haul. :)

On 4/27/2018 at 4:23 AM, Shizuka the Cat said:

Girls can like anything guys can, and vice versa. 

And liking jets can foster an interest that can lead to a career in engineering, physics, mathematics, computer science, and more! So definitely encourage your daughter.... or son for that matter.... to pick up a variety of interests that may just look cool to a kid, but can influence them into adulthood and beyond.

I told my wife just last week that I am dissappointed in women, because the views on my youtube mecha page are 100% male. Is my hobby that unappealing?

On 4/27/2018 at 5:15 AM, Sildani said:

I had my daughter on my lap watching Top Gear from birth. Hung a Bf-109 from her ceiling too. 

That's funny. Its great sharing hobbies with our kids. Just don't be dissappointed if they dont share our interests sometimes.