Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

Thanks to @sh9000 for this recent purchase!  I haven't messed with my other HMRs in a while and forgot how nice these are, solid, transform easily, sharp details, etc etc.  I swapped the canopy for a clear one here in case anyone noticed.

IMG_20230605_190340832_HDR.jpg.c39521ce86aaf9e1b7ee42e0426931db.jpg

Just arrived from Mandarake Via DHL, $114.00 shipped seemed like a good deal to me, everything is in great shape & nothing missing despite being marked as 2nd hand, brand new as far as I'm concerned. Their packing was A++ B))

Also, everyone needs some PROJECT A-KO in their lives, the Blu-ray is from Rightstuf.com 

IMG_1812.JPG

IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_1809.JPG

IMG_1810.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

57 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Just arrived from Mandarake Via DHL, $114.00 shipped seemed like a good deal to me, everything is in great shape & nothing missing despite being marked as 2nd hand, brand new as far as I'm concerned. Their packing was A++ B))

Also, everyone needs some PROJECT A-KO in their lives, the Blu-ray is from Rightstuf.com 

IMG_1812.JPG

IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_1809.JPG

IMG_1810.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

I totally forgot there was a part 4 to A-Ko... Been meaning to rewatch some of those so I guess I need to look through my old DVD collection to see what's what.

27 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I totally forgot there was a part 4 to A-Ko... Been meaning to rewatch some of those so I guess I need to look through my old DVD collection to see what's what.

Bite the bullet & grab the Blu-rays, the picture & sound quality are worth it. I have the DVD's too but the BR's are better. :D

Just for the Artwork alone I want to get the Laser Discs someday. 

52 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Bite the bullet & grab the Blu-rays, the picture & sound quality are worth it. I have the DVD's too but the BR's are better. :D

Just for the Artwork alone I want to get the Laser Discs someday. 

I'm sure it's worth it but I don't have a Blu-Ray player. I totally skipped that stage of technology and went straight to streaming from DVD.

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I'm sure it's worth it but I don't have a Blu-Ray player. I totally skipped that stage of technology and went straight to streaming from DVD.

You haven't lived until you've experienced a properly setup home theater with 4k on an oled or UST laser projector.  Even my modest living room setup is better than most movie theaters.  I bought a 65" oled for 2021 xmas, and have been slowly upgrading the rest of the system including a recent ceiling speaker install.  I only just finally got 4k HDR with the addition of a PS5... only to find out Sony didn't bother paying for proper licensing, so I still need a $500 4k player just to get lossless 3d surround audio and Dolby Vision to get the full experience.  Even so...:shok: it's like looking thru the world's clearest window!  Light sources no longer look like just white spots and actually make you squint.  This means sparkly shiny things look amazing!  4k Attenborough is truly moving and seriously makes me cry. Streaming is great, but unless you have fiber internet that isn't being optimized (never), it has nothing on a 4k disc.  jmho tho.

Edited by Pontus

26 minutes ago, Pontus said:

You haven't lived until you've experienced a properly setup home theater with 4k on an oled or UST laser projector.  Even my modest living room setup is better than most movie theaters.  I bought a 65" oled for 2021 xmas, and have been slowly upgrading the rest of the system including a recent ceiling speaker install.  I only just finally got 4k HDR with the addition of a PS5... only to find out Sony didn't bother paying for proper licensing, so I still need a $500 4k player just to get lossless 3d surround audio and Dolby Vision to get the full experience.  Even so...:shok: it's like looking thru the world's clearest window!  Light sources no longer look like just white spots and actually make you squint.  This means sparkly shiny things look amazing!  4k Attenborough is truly moving and seriously makes me cry. Streaming is great, but unless you have fiber internet that isn't being optimized (never), it has nothing on a 4k disc.  jmho tho.

Agree and who said I didn’t have the other stuff you mentioned? I have a 65” 4K HDR OLED TV, Marantz processing and amplification, Usher speakers all around with SVS sub. I have some pretty fast internet too but I agree streaming can’t be as good as local, hardwired Blu-Ray but it’s close enough. Especially if we are still talking about that A-KO Blu-Ray, which I doubt is mastered in a way to take full advantage of what the Blu-Ray could offer. I’m an audiophile and videophile that definitely appreciates the difference and regularly point out the silliness of people basing colors of toys on random pictures on the internet using various sources and viewing methods, none of which has been calibrated in any consistent way or likely at all…so yeah, I get it. I’ve considered getting Blu-Ray many times but just never saw the value with the way tech is moving. The closest I came to it, I was eying an Oppo player but then they stopped making them and I just figured, f it, lol. 

4 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Agree and who said I didn’t have the other stuff you mentioned? 

I meant "you" in general.  Other than the tv, I've pretty much cobbled together what I've got from DIY speakers and used gear over the years.  In doing so, I found the current marketing bs in av is so overly complicated in the extreme that it's difficult to even know if you're truly getting what you paid for without mountains of research and a maze of settings on every device.  Even then, as I found out, I'm still not getting it!  Anyway sorry for going off topic (altho in my case it is regarding some new av toys).

9 hours ago, Pontus said:

I meant "you" in general.  Other than the tv, I've pretty much cobbled together what I've got from DIY speakers and used gear over the years.  In doing so, I found the current marketing bs in av is so overly complicated in the extreme that it's difficult to even know if you're truly getting what you paid for without mountains of research and a maze of settings on every device.  Even then, as I found out, I'm still not getting it!  Anyway sorry for going off topic (altho in my case it is regarding some new av toys).

Gotcha! And yeah, these are definitely toys, IMO.😁

I've been in this AV game since before I could drive so I get it and get what you are saying too. Best advice is to ask or read about whatever you are interested in a forum like this but for AV equipment, there are several good ones. I would say one good thing is technology in processing and amplification has advanced pretty far to where as long as you are buying from reputable manufactureres (or even unreputable ones in some cases at this point), you will probably end up with decent results. The key to video is calibrating whatever you get and the key to audio is the setup. You can have the greatest, most expensive gear out there but if you don't set it up properly (physically, and electronically), it's not going to sound as good as it should.

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

176378BD-0D0D-4B2D-85B9-4502F8334547.jpeg.b33361d7c5bfbee5f28807348b68a4d2.jpeg

So that is interesting.. I haven't been paying much attention, so I might have just missed it, but when did they start using "Expanded Universe" again, instead of "Legends?"  Or are they still using both, depending on what property it involves?

20 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

So that is interesting.. I haven't been paying much attention, so I might have just missed it, but when did they start using "Expanded Universe" again, instead of "Legends?"  Or are they still using both, depending on what property it involves?

Expanded Universe has been on TVC cardbacks since they first started.

8B61266E-4D16-4524-958F-53151A99CD9F.jpeg.0bebb2fab0e1bca3c39ce5741ea8a41b.jpeg

Here is their first TVC Expanded Universe release.

BE3841C0-BC89-4FD8-9C94-8BAA0B8B6844.jpeg.3d60cf259fdd971e34adec5977e86204.jpeg

Found at Target.  NECA TMNT Casey Jones vs Foot Soldier (Slashed).

235924EE-D44C-4944-A6ED-AE32414635FA.jpeg.e69a6764d20a3b9047433ff98dcc2a15.jpeg

Got some more skateboards! The original X-2 Lucero (same graphics as the one on the left) was one of my favorite decks from back in the day. Really happy to have these and they might be the first (hopefully only) skateboards I ever bought just to collect and look at. I might still end up setting up the X2 just to try it out but will see how that goes.

On 6/13/2023 at 7:21 AM, Lolicon said:

Got a more screen accurate laser sword. :rolleyes:

lasersword.jpg.b7ca2a445cdbf7dfc7b1044e0a5eb673.jpg

I don't know anything about light saber merchandises, but this looks awesome. Hilt looks like its machined from billet metal, and that saber's green glow is fabulous.

18 minutes ago, MKT said:

I don't know anything about light saber merchandises, but this looks awesome. Hilt looks like its machined from billet metal, and that saber's green glow is fabulous.

Thanks! I've wanted an accurate version of Luke's green lightsaber for a long time and finally got one. It's much better than the officially licensed one from Disney, which involves swapping out the skinny "neck" with a fatter one to support the blade. 

Parts swapping is lame! 😄