Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

On 10/9/2021 at 11:37 AM, sqidd said:

Perfect Grade RX78-2 Unleased. I comissioned it.

It's a bit difficult to tell from those extremely low-res pics, but it doesn't look like he painted your kit... just panel-lining and decals.

Is that what you were expecting?

12 hours ago, tekering said:

It's a bit difficult to tell from those extremely low-res pics, but it doesn't look like he painted your kit... just panel-lining and decals.

Is that what you were expecting?

Every part is painted. I asked him to give it a very clean anime accurate look that pops when it's on the shelf. Bright colors, etc.

If you look closely you can see how he used light grey against white on the armor to give it depth.

The pictures are crap. I'll try and get better ones when it arrives.

42 minutes ago, sqidd said:

If you look closely you can see how he used light grey against white on the armor to give it depth.

That's precisely why I asked, see.  That's how the kit was designed; those light grey parts are molded in that color, just as the two-toned yellow boxes on the hip skirts are, and the vac-metallized silver on the back of the knees, and the shiny gold of the vulcan cannons on the head...  If he did paint it, he painted every part exactly the same color the kit came molded in!  🤨

It doesn't reflect the animation, or any of the video game renders, or any other Gundam reference material.  It's a distinct color breakdown unique to the Perfect Grade Unleashed, intended to provide depth and detail without requiring any actual painting.  That's exactly how the stock kit looks -- with all the stickers applied -- and painted versions I've seen locally don't look like that.

I mean, if you're happy with the aesthetic, I suppose it doesn't matter if anything was actually painted or not...  I just want to make sure you're getting what you paid for.

3 hours ago, tekering said:

That's precisely why I asked, see.  That's how the kit was designed; those light grey parts are molded in that color, just as the two-toned yellow boxes on the hip skirts are, and the vac-metallized silver on the back of the knees, and the shiny gold of the vulcan cannons on the head...  If he did paint it, he painted every part exactly the same color the kit came molded in!  🤨

It doesn't reflect the animation, or any of the video game renders, or any other Gundam reference material.  It's a distinct color breakdown unique to the Perfect Grade Unleashed, intended to provide depth and detail without requiring any actual painting.  That's exactly how the stock kit looks -- with all the stickers applied -- and painted versions I've seen locally don't look like that.

I mean, if you're happy with the aesthetic, I suppose it doesn't matter if anything was actually painted or not...  I just want to make sure you're getting what you paid for.

He gave me the option of weathering, battle damage, etc. I said I wanted to keep it really clean and vibrant. He did exactly what I asked him to do. Did I ask him to do the right thing? Who knows.:D

He did paint every surface. I know tat for sure. I could see it happening in the progress pics. He also sent me samples of the red and blue so I could pick the exact ones I wanted to have him use.

The "stickers" are some sort of "holographic" water slides. He didn't use the supplied ones.

He's doing Char's Zaku II next. I'm having him go for a more weathered/beat up look on that one.:good:

I see some of you are into hot wheels/die cast.  I bought a few ERTL General Lee's off of ebay and fixed them up.  Pretty happy with the results.  General Grant could be a bit better.  Cutting the water slide decals was a pain.  Looks better not so blown up as the picture. I have an idea of doing another one that I think will look a little better.

20210919_095038_720.jpg.57669d4a93790c98eae82b594b5e30d7.jpgGeneralGrant.jpg.0d5ff32e5a9380373394c22ff60c0bbf.jpg

3 hours ago, Special Sauce said:

That Trans-Am was my favorite car as a kid.  Still kinda is.......

Me too!

I have one full blown project car left in me. I'm not sure what I want to do. The current choices are:

-77' Bandit Trans Am restomod with a big inch LS with a blower, 6 speed manual, big brakes, big suspension, etc. All the amenaties, etc. I'd probably use a 77' AT nad a recent Camaro (wrecked) as the donor. 

-67' Ford F-100 made into an extenda cab on a custom tube chassis sporting a 800rwhp GT500 motor and one of the 10 speed auto's out of the new Mustangs. Again, all the amenities. Something that would be nice to drive cross country.

-Mad Max Interceptor replica with a 800rwhp GT500 drivetrain in it. And again, all the amenities. 

If I was smart I'd sell all of the motors, transmissions, blowers, rear ends, etc I have and get a 2020+ GT500 Track Pack and leave it stock. Or a C8 Corvette.....and leave it stock. I'm not smart though.:p

9 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Me too!

I have one full blown project car left in me. I'm not sure what I want to do. The current choices are:

-77' Bandit Trans Am restomod with a big inch LS with a blower, 6 speed manual, big brakes, big suspension, etc. All the amenaties, etc. I'd probably use a 77' AT nad a recent Camaro (wrecked) as the donor. 

-67' Ford F-100 made into an extenda cab on a custom tube chassis sporting a 800rwhp GT500 motor and one of the 10 speed auto's out of the new Mustangs. Again, all the amenities. Something that would be nice to drive cross country.

-Mad Max Interceptor replica with a 800rwhp GT500 drivetrain in it. And again, all the amenities. 

If I was smart I'd sell all of the motors, transmissions, blowers, rear ends, etc I have and get a 2020+ GT500 Track Pack and leave it stock. Or a C8 Corvette.....and leave it stock. I'm not smart though.:p

Those are all awesome options but it would be Smokey and the Bandit for me 😁

On 10/9/2021 at 12:28 PM, Alex GS said:

no shipper box but still spanking new from AmiAmi , So damn beautiful😍

image.png.8643c1fbe49fb9e79a8f1d61d0058b64.png

Bandai should have added light up LEDs to the bottom of foot thrusters. 'Would make for an even more eye-popping & dynamic display in gerwalk hover- or descending-mode.

I would not DIY it though, in case it leads to some plastic parts melting

Edited by f-valk
Thought completion

18 minutes ago, f-valk said:

Bandai should have added light up LEDs to the bottom of foot thrusters. 'Would make for an even more eye-popping & dynamic display in gerwalk hover- or descending-mode.

I would not DIY it though, in case it leads to some plastic parts melting

While it's a cool feature, I'm pretty sure it will cost us more. ;) 

Edited by no3Ljm

Also would be really difficult to do that as a DIY mod, considering the feet are solid metal. ^_^ 

Could maybe paint the exhausts with fluorescent paint, but I don't think Bandai's construction is in any way conducive to adding internal lighting.  They just love filling every nook and cranny with plastic inserts.

3 hours ago, sqidd said:

Me too!

Smart is for dummies!:D

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Smart is for dummies!:D

Duh!:p

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Ooooh. Love this since the 80's. :wub: 

Can I ask how much this one costs and what brand? Thanks!

It's a Minichamps so on the higher end of the 1/18 stuff. Not too bad though. I found it on feeBay for $106 shipped.

I'm new to the 1/18 stuff. Especially the race car replicas. The livery has a lot to do with the price/value. If it's a famous driver(s) and in a livery that won a race or championship that seems to drive the price up. 

I don't know if some of these die cast cars are distributed/sold Bandai style where they make one run and then no more. Hence driving the cost up. It seems like it may be that way on some of the cars.

I was looking for a 80's Lamborghini Chountach LP400S but the two better ones (AUTOart and Kyosho) go for stupid money. $400-800. Then I ran across a PO on Kyosho re-releasing theirs in red (perfect) for I think it was $150 or so??? The Kyosho looks a wee bit better in the proportions than the AUTOart. But the AUTOart is actually more accurate to the real car.

Kicking myself for not buying the 1:1 Countach LP500S I was offered in 2004 for...............................$47,000.:( No one wanted them back then. Now they go for silly money.

8 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Duh!:p

It's a Minichamps so on the higher end of the 1/18 stuff. Not too bad though. I found it on feeBay for $106 shipped.

I'm new to the 1/18 stuff. Especially the race car replicas. The livery has a lot to do with the price/value. If it's a famous driver(s) and in a livery that won a race or championship that seems to drive the price up. 

I don't know if some of these die cast cars are distributed/sold Bandai style where they make one run and then no more. Hence driving the cost up. It seems like it may be that way on some of the cars.

I was looking for a 80's Lamborghini Chountach LP400S but the two better ones (AUTOart and Kyosho) go for stupid money. $400-800. Then I ran across a PO on Kyosho re-releasing theirs in red (perfect) for I think it was $150 or so??? The Kyosho looks a wee bit better in the proportions than the AUTOart. But the AUTOart is actually more accurate to the real car.

Kicking myself for not buying the 1:1 Countach LP500S I was offered in 2004 for...............................$47,000.:( No one wanted them back then. Now they go for silly money.

Thanks for the info @sqidd. I think that's the same brand that the Porsche 959 Paris Dakar that I was checking back then. But it's in 1/43 scale. And at this point, I really don't want to start another line of collectibles so I'm somehow just looking and you posting that 962 makes me want to cry. Hahaha! :lol: 

By the way, how big is 1:1 Countach? :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Thanks for the info @sqidd. I think that's the same brand that the Porsche 959 Paris Dakar that I was checking back then. But it's in 1/43 scale. And at this point, I really don't want to start another line of collectibles so I'm somehow just looking and you posting that 962 makes me want to cry. Hahaha! :lol: 

By the way, how big is 1:1 Countach? :rolleyes:

It's kind of disappointing that $100 doesn't buy you an opening engine compartment, doors, etc. It's a great looking car though. I suppose that along with the accurate livery is where the money went (I imagine they have to pay for the livery).

I hear you on not needing to collect something else. I'm pretty sure I won't be going down this rabbit hole though.

That 1:1 Countach was almost as big as a real one!:p