Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

3 hours ago, tekering said:

They'd have to start from scratch on that one... and I've long since given up hope.  :unsure:

I suppose that's more what I meant, a redo from the ground up like they did when they made the current large-scale X-Wing in the mid/late 90s.  The A-Wing was always perfect because it's a literal replica of the filming prop, and the B-Wing's cockpit is a little oversized, but still looks good.  The Y-Wing though is still from the same vintage as the old stubby X-Wing, and I think it's the only vehicle not to get any sort of major upgrade.

The interceptor was done not too long ago as an Amazon exclusive, and I'm glad I grabbed one at not much higher than the normal fighter last year, because it's upwards of $200 now.  Meanwhile, the fighter is hovering around $40 on Amazon as well, if you can't find one at Walmart.

8 hours ago, sqidd said:

The quality and flexibility are outstanding. I give the two thumbs up. @ChaoticYeti is the man. He's going to be getting a lot of my money!!!:D

Tonight I'm going to set up a dual mount stand to get my head around what my options are.

Good to hear. I have some ideas for these stands with other stuff in my collection. Have you tried hooking up your DX Valks to these yet? I"m curious about the weight. I know they will hold, but can they hold much more, say a diecast Hot Toys Iron Man? Do you do reviews? I"d enjoy a short write up of your thoughts on these stands. I know everyone raves about them and they look great too, but I'd love more of an in depth look at these.

Appreciate the reply.

41 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Grenedizer.jpg

Nice collection of Super Robots you are building up. I just got my SOC Getter Emperor today but I'm scared to open it based on reviews.

29 minutes ago, RED WOLF said:

Good to hear. I have some ideas for these stands with other stuff in my collection. Have you tried hooking up your DX Valks to these yet? I"m curious about the weight. I know they will hold, but can they hold much more, say a diecast Hot Toys Iron Man? Do you do reviews? I"d enjoy a short write up of your thoughts on these stands. I know everyone raves about them and they look great too, but I'd love more of an in depth look at these.

Appreciate the reply.

There is a clamp adapter for yetistands made for 1/6 style figures. There are also adapters for stuff like big LEGO sets (I remember specifically for the UCS Slave I). The acrylic arms are super solid and bolted together so they will hold anything that you feel is stable on them. You could also configure them to use multiple arms with multiple attachement points for really big items. basically, the possibilities with these stands are endless with everything modular and custom attachment parts fairly easily created and made. If you have any ideas or needs, contacting @ChaoticYeti is very easy and he will most likely work with you or advise based on existing parts. 

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

Yeti stands can easily hold multiple valkyries, so long as you keep the weight balanced so it doesn't tip over.

48296844_VF-25F05.thumb.jpg.f46e142209c13169b18977d5468c06d7.jpg

Nice setup! HOw about holding 2-4lbs figure(s)? Would the plastic and joints and footprint hold up or do you think something would give out? Given things would balance out.

29 minutes ago, RED WOLF said:

Nice setup! HOw about holding 2-4lbs figure(s)? Would the plastic and joints and footprint hold up or do you think something would give out? Given things would balance out.

So, here is the adapter for a Lego Star Destroyer that should weigh in about that range: https://www.yetistand.com/product/75055-lego-star-destroyer-wall-mount-adapter

You can see it connects two arms together for extra strength.

2 hours ago, RED WOLF said:

Appreciate the reply.

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Yeti stands can easily hold multiple valkyries, so long as you keep the weight balanced so it doesn't tip over.

What he said, it's all about balance. They don't have to be THAT balanced tough. I was screwing around last night seeing how far off center I could mount one Valk. I don't need to, I was just wondering. You can get them offset from the stand pretty far before there is any tipping.

I don't have any more experience than that at this point. I will have some soon. I've got 19 stands either here or on the way and I have some "interesting" display ideas. @ChaoticYeti even made me some custom 45deg elbows to pull off something I want to try. We'll see if it works.

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Nice collection of Super Robots you are building up. I just got my SOC Getter Emperor today but I'm scared to open it based on reviews.

Thanks. When I got back into this Super Robots were not even really on my radar. But man, I really love the designs. I foresee a day when I have more Super Robots than Macross stuff.

Pop that dude out. I'm curious what you think. He's on my list for sure.:good:

I REALLY like the EX Gokin Shin Getter. But he gets skethy reviews and is pretty big money. I'm PM'd @Kuma Style about him and he backed up what I was seeing. Could not recomend getting that toy. Too bad. He's awesome.

8807028348_04fb262758_b.jpg

1 hour ago, RED WOLF said:

8lbs? The is purely seat of the pans. But I think a Yeti Stand can go WAY over that as long as it's carrying the load straight down for the most part. Worse case double arm it like in the Lego link.

22 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Thanks. When I got back into this Super Robots were not even really on my radar. But man, I really love the designs. I foresee a day when I have more Super Robots than Macross stuff.

I REALLY like the EX Gokin Shin Getter. But he gets skethy reviews and is pretty big money. I'm PM'd @Kuma Style about him and he backed up what I was seeing. Could not recomend getting that toy. Too bad. He's awesome.

Nice! For someone who didn’t have Super Robots on the radar, you have me, who has loved and collected Super Robots since childhood drooling over your collection. Thing about Getter Emperor that bugs me most is how tiny it is. I could live with the lack of tabs and fiddlyness but what’s the point of a Super robot collection where the one that should be the biggest is one of the smallest. It’s like having a Transformers collection with a minibot sized Unicron. 

35 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I got the black ver.  from jungle for about 300, and I have to say it was well worth it. The only problem I had was with one of the wings but it took about 5mins to fix. I do recommend this figure if you can get it for a good price.

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Nice! For someone who didn’t have Super Robots on the radar, you have me, who has loved and collected Super Robots since childhood drooling over your collection.

Thing about Getter Emperor that bugs me most is how tiny it is. I could live with the lack of tabs and fiddlyness but what’s the point of a Super robot collection where the one that should be the biggest is one of the smallest. It’s like having a Transformers collection with a minibot sized Unicron. 

Thanks my man. When I do things I tend to go at them really hard. It's made me a Jack of all trades. Master of none.:rofl:

As a big toy guy I can't not agree. Especially for a SOC.

1 hour ago, dragonstar1982 said:

I got the black ver.  from jungle for about 300, and I have to say it was well worth it. The only problem I had was with one of the wings but it took about 5mins to fix. I do recommend this figure if you can get it for a good price.

As I was poking around I kept running across the black versions. But I can't tell what are in the boxes half the time. It seems like there are different versions and repaints? One of the black versions has a cape??? Can you pop a pic of yours and possibly the box cover? Or just hijack them off the net? A black version doesn't bother me one bit. I just want to get the right one.

The red ones go for big bucks. Which I would probably spend if I wasn't worried about it coming out of the box already damaged.

Thanks!

On 10/8/2019 at 8:39 PM, Sanity is Optional said:

If you're truly that cluttered, might be time to downsize the collection.

Keep only your favorites and/or the ones with the most value.

$190/month adds up, and you'll be able to just re-buy things later with the money saved if you can avoid spending it.

@Sanity is Optional now you have me debating the pros and cons of downsizing my Macross toy collection. You do make a good point about the monthly cost adding up, where it might make more sense to downsize and re-buy later on.

(Why am I starting to feel feverish and short of breath?)

Oh, I don't feel well.  Time to re-watch the entire "Girl Meets World" series in one sitting, to de-stress and recover.

image.png.b57005b8a97bb54ee0b298ac5b98469f.png

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

It's a constant debate, seriously.  I kind of mentally keep a list of "Yeah, I can sell that one and not feel bad."

The tricky part is betting on whether something will be available later, and accepting that you might need to pay more to get back what you once had.  Certain subjects are just worth holding onto, because they only increase in value.

In my case.. I actually consider several of the things I've collected as a sort of emergency fund?  They're the high value items that I bought extras of, because I knew they would be worth having.  If I get myself into a serious situation, and need money quickly, I have a few things I know I could sell off in a hurry.

I'm in the same boat, I'm actually out of space to store my boxes unless I start keeping them in the unattached garage. My plan is to build model backlog to free space, but that's only a temporary measure.

I suppose I'll probably have to let some things go, like one or two of my four bandai DX YF-19 figures.

22 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I'm in the same boat, I'm actually out of space to store my boxes unless I start keeping them in the unattached garage. My plan is to build model backlog to free space, but that's only a temporary measure.

I suppose I'll probably have to let some things go, like one or two of my four bandai DX YF-19 figures.

Funny you mention the DX YF-19.  I was actually pondering selling mine.  With the exception of the arm cannon, I find myself preferring the Arcadia version more.  The non-glowy fold booster, the short heels, and the big white "UN SPACY" and "N.E.T.F.C" text on the wings really kind of bother me.

The Arcadia one looks more anime accurate, and better in fighter mode. The Bandai looks more realistic, and better in Battroid (plus it doesn't have weak ankles).

...Which is why I have 2 Arcadias, 4 Bandais... Plus a Bandai VF-19 Advance, and Yamato anniversary YF-19.

My plus collection may be a bit out of hand.

I wish I had a bunch of money to resolve everyone's overstocking problems...

@Shizuka the Cat, i am not suggesting you get rid of your valks, or that you get additional storage, but... If you are willing to spend money on storage, why not get a place with more room or an extra room to make room for the valks? I do agree the most logical option would be to downsize the collection, but that can be tricky as some of these collectibles get radically expensive over time.

One thing that adds to the problem is the massive size of some boxes. I know they are big to protect the jewels inside, but man, just one boxed 1/48 yammie, with boxed fast packs, and boxed GPB armor take a huge amount of space. I am actually having the same problem. Is getting rid of boxes the solution? I haven't been able to get rid of any boxes, but i do have some valks I bought out of the box, and i am ok with that. 

2 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

@Shizuka the Cat, i am not suggesting you get rid of your valks, or that you get additional storage, but... If you are willing to spend money on storage, why not get a place with more room or an extra room to make room for the valks? 

That's a good point. Of course nothing including this is simple and one dimensional though. $190 tacked on to my mortgage would absolutely get me into a bigger house. In theory if one is renting it would be the same.

Or

How much of an addition can you put on your house for $190/mo? I have no idea. I'm not sure how loans for that sort of stuff works. Scratch that, I just did some cypherin'. A $35,000 home equity loan would run you about $200/mo. You can do a pretty good size basic addition for $35K. And in theory it's an investment. Not burned money like rent is.

Or

If you guys need to clear out some stock let me know. I can send you my wish list.:D

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

How much of an addition can you put on your house for $190/mo? I have no idea. I'm not sure how loans for that sort of stuff works. Scratch that, I just did some cypherin'. A $35,000 home equity loan would run you about $200/mo. You can do a pretty good size basic addition for $35K. And in theory it's an investment. Not burned money like rent is.

Where in the world, and that means America,  can you get a decent house with a decent location for 35k?

12 hours ago, Slave IV said:

So, here is the adapter for a Lego Star Destroyer that should weigh in about that range: https://www.yetistand.com/product/75055-lego-star-destroyer-wall-mount-adapter

You can see it connects two arms together for extra strength.

@sqidd @Slave IV appreciate the feedback.  This gives me numerous possibilities and hope ofachieving the display I have pictured in my minds eye.

19 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

The Arcadia one looks more anime accurate, and better in fighter mode. The Bandai looks more realistic, and better in Battroid (plus it doesn't have weak ankles).

...Which is why I have 2 Arcadias, 4 Bandais... Plus a Bandai VF-19 Advance, and Yamato anniversary YF-19.

My plus collection may be a bit out of hand.

I think I’m there already.

828F7185-716B-40C6-8D35-85F9BFD66FBB.thumb.jpeg.5c5e764ca40f31126eeac72de05372d4.jpegBC6458AA-C6F2-4E44-B968-1BC14AE4E416.thumb.jpeg.cbd2411e70cfed9b6b7fdfb332462447.jpeg

That’s every YF19 with the exception of the the Bandai version. I ran out of room. All of the Yamato lined up from the very first to the last. I only displayed two yf21 and the other three are still boxes but with the dusting going on might let them breath. 

Edited by Kicker773