Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

22 hours ago, Saburo said:

Nope it’s back to Jetfire.

I'm a little tempted to get a nice GenI JetFire for nostalgia reasons. I remember getting one when they came out as a kid. I think if I remember correctly JetFire came out just before Robotech aired. I'm going to say a year before. I'll check.......

I'm not sure Google is telling me the facts straight but it's saying JetFire was released in 1984. It's also telling me Robotech aired March 1985.

I suppose you could say JetFire was probably the first Valk I fell in love with. I remember really liking that toy.

Mazinger Zero

Oh my goodness this is everything I expected and more. This guy is a MONSTER! He weighs 8lbs! He barely fits in the Detolf. Pic below for scale.

I love this guy!

All my other Mazingers just ran out of the room.:p

Mazinger Zero 1.jpg

Mazinger Zero 2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Kuma Style said:

Metal Build Destiny Heine and the WOL came in today. Next Monday or Tuesday Destiny should be here so glad to have the display of those two and Strike Freedom coming shortly.

2glow-22.png

That is super pretty. I'm not sure what I'm looking at though. Gundam I assume? Bandai Metal Build? 

22 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I'm a little tempted to get a nice GenI JetFire for nostalgia reasons. I remember getting one when they came out as a kid. I think if I remember correctly JetFire came out just before Robotech aired. I'm going to say a year before. I'll check.......

I'm not sure Google is telling me the facts straight but it's saying JetFire was released in 1984. It's also telling me Robotech aired March 1985.

I suppose you could say JetFire was probably the first Valk I fell in love with. I remember really liking that toy.

Do it! And yes, Jetfire was released as a toy before Robotech though never appeared in the US TF cartoon. “Skyfire” replaced him.

73DFB859-1E76-4A02-9CFD-DCDD41E16C0B.png

3 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Do it! And yes, Jetfire was released as a toy before Robotech though never appeared in the US TF cartoon. “Skyfire” replaced him.

73DFB859-1E76-4A02-9CFD-DCDD41E16C0B.png

He looks minty!

Was Macross released in Japan before Jetfire was released by Hasbro? Any interesting history there?

6 minutes ago, sqidd said:

He looks minty!

Was Macross released in Japan before Jetfire was released by Hasbro? Any interesting history there?

Yeah, Macross SDFM came out in 1982 with Takatoku VF-1 "Chunky Monkey" toys at the same time. Hasbro bought rights to existing transforming toys to create Transformers. Most of them were from Takara but the Jetfire toy was from the Takatoku toy design. Many, at least I consider it to be the finest toy ever made.

23 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Mazinger Zero

Oh my goodness this is everything I expected and more. This guy is a MONSTER! He weighs 8lbs! He barely fits in the Detolf. Pic below for scale.

I love this guy!

Mazinger Zero 1.jpg

Mazinger Zero 2.jpg

Best Mazingers! Capture the spirit of the original very well. But where can I put it if I get one is the big question for me. :( 

29 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Mazinger Zero

I love this guy!

Mazinger Zero 1.jpg

Mazinger Zero 2.jpg

One warning, the Detolf's shelves are rated to 13lbs, so careful about how much you stick on the same level as that monster.

21 minutes ago, sqidd said:

He looks minty!

11 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Yeah, Macross SDFM came out in 1982 with Takatoku VF-1 "Chunky Monkey" toys at the same time. Hasbro bought rights to existing transforming toys to create Transformers. Most of them were from Takara but the Jetfire toy was from the Takatoku toy design. Many, at least I consider it to be the finest toy ever made.

Thanks! You can start here for a decent review: https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/transformers/31240/the-strange-story-of-jetfire-and-other-transformers-toys

It’s a fun rabbit hole to follow. Many of us were first exposed to the Chunky Monkey by means of good ole G1 Jetfire. It’s his fault owning him as a kid that I collect what I do with Macross now.

18 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I didn't want to know that. Now I have to get a Minty JetFire!:rofl:

j/k, thanks!

12 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

One warning, the Detolf's shelves are rated to 13lbs, so careful about how much you stick on the same level as that monster.

Good heads up. Thanks. I was wondering that. He's probably going to end up rocking that shelf solo.

I think I'm going to design some solo glass cases for my bigger stuff. Mini single compartment Detolf's if you will. I can do the top and bottom out of billet aluminum and have them anodized. The glass is super easy. Google showed me Detolf style "hinges", etc. The only thing I have not been able to find yet is something like the Detlof's plastic strips that capture the glass on the back. they're not essential. But something like that would be nice.

9 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Thanks! You can start here for a decent review: https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/transformers/31240/the-strange-story-of-jetfire-and-other-transformers-toys

It’s a fun rabbit hole to follow. Many of us were first exposed to the Chunky Monkey by means of good ole G1 Jetfire. It’s his fault owning him as a kid that I collect what I do with Macross now.

Thanks for the link. I'm now going into the rabbit hole............:p

1 minute ago, sqidd said:

I didn't want to know that. Now I have to get a Minty JetFire!:rofl:

j/k, thanks!

Well, when I said best toy ever made, I meant the original Takatoku versions or the later Bandai reissues. Jetfire was great too but there were a few things inferior about it. Mainly, it didn't have swapable canopy with heat shield, just the clear canopy as you see in the pic above, the nose was blunted I guess for US safety laws and the gunpod also doesn't come with projectiles that you could shoot someone's eye out with (that damn US saftey law again). If you can, try to get some copy of this toy, even if it is Jetfire because it will let you understand and appreciate the greatness of Macross and the VF-1 toy even more. Like I said, it is s till my consideration of the finest toy ever made to this day.

14 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Well, when I said best toy ever made, I meant the original Takatoku versions or the later Bandai reissues. Jetfire was great too but there were a few things inferior about it. Mainly, it didn't have swapable canopy with heat shield, just the clear canopy as you see in the pic above, the nose was blunted I guess for US safety laws and the gunpod also doesn't come with projectiles that you could shoot someone's eye out with (that damn US saftey law again). If you can, try to get some copy of this toy, even if it is Jetfire because it will let you understand and appreciate the greatness of Macross and the VF-1 toy even more. Like I said, it is s till my consideration of the finest toy ever made to this day.

I absolutely loved JetFire when I was a kid. By far my favorite Transformer. I should probably get one for sentimental reasons. Nostalgia is real.

If I go looking for the Takatoku or Bandai version what am I looking for? VF-1's? Is that what they were called? I want one that will shoot my eye out!

26 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

That was a great article. Bookmarked that site. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I absolutely loved JetFire when I was a kid. By far my favorite Transformer. I should probably get one for sentimental reasons. Nostalgia is real.

If I go looking for the Takatoku or Bandai version what am I looking for? VF-1's? Is that what they were called? I want one that will shoot my eye out!

If you have $5k to spare or want to negotiate, I say buy this man's collection NOW!

2 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I just want one.:p

Is this the gran daddy?

Screenshot_20191008-202618_Gallery.jpg

You can do the 2002 & 2008 reissues from Bandai. They have less stickers and seem to yellow less. I own an OG Jetfire and a sealed 1/55 DYRL VF-1S Hikaru. The others I preferred the reissues (they didn’t make reissues of Jetfire or DYRL 1S Hikkie).

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

Mazinger Zero

I love this guy!

Mazinger Zero 2.jpg

This is perhaps the beefiest Mazinger Z i have ever seen :shok:

Been hunting down this figure for quite some time. Always wanted an unmasked Tony to complement the rest of Sentinel's Re:Edit Iron Man range. The die cast armor suit-up parts was a pleasant surprise as I probably missed that bit in others' reviews, and gave the whole figure a satisfying heft. The paint seem a notch above the Re:Edit line, as the deep candy red lacquer look to have an extra layer of gloss. My only gripe is that the crotch armor is not a continuous piece from front to back, and broken up between the thighs.

M8dyu6N.jpg

FsDkZSk.jpg

8 hours ago, borgified said:

For those that have the KC Dark Gold 1s and possibly the Yammie 1/48 25th Anniversary 1s (scale not withstanding), which paint scheme mostly pops out?

Don't know if I want to get both to be honest. :huh:

Edit: I've seen Jenius' review on the KC Dark Gold

I have Yammie's 1/48 25th Anniversary, so I had the same question whilst contemplating getting KC's Dark Gold. I glad I got KC's in the end, because the paint on this is way better.