Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

On 5/5/2018 at 5:53 PM, Sanity is Optional said:

I think you were the one who mentioned it was for sale at Anime Export. Could be mistaken though.

So, how much did the black VF-19 end up costing from AE? I hope the price was good.

2 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

So, how much did the black VF-19 end up costing from AE? I hope the price was good.

¥21,000 plus another ¥4500 in shipping. Considering it's still sealed tray and no major box damage it's definitely better than the $450+ ebay, YJA, or amazon is asking for a new one.

2 hours ago, hachi said:

Thanks for that info. I'll add that to list of places to go to once I have enough yen for a Tokyo trip.

If you are in Akihabara, you should also check out the various Liberty shops, which sells everything from anime CDs, BDx, DVDs, and collectibles, including toys, both new and used.

ãã£ã®ã¥ã¢è²·åãç§èå

The locations with the pinkish-red rectangular marker are Liberty stops that sell figures, namely Liberty 1, 2, 4,  5, 6, and 8.

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

3 hours ago, hachi said:

Thanks for that info. I'll add that to list of places to go to once I have enough yen for a Tokyo trip.

Also, if you are looking for a hotel to stay at, I would suggest Hotel Edoya.

They are relatively cheap in my opinion, have both Japanese and Western-style rooms (aka futon on floor vs. a bed), a small open-air onsen (bath) on the roof, wi-fi internet access, and are a short walk from the Ocha no Mizu railway station and a slightly longer walk to Akihabara's shopping district. Each room also has its own bathroom with Japanese-style deep tub.

Also included is the hotel's all you can eat breakfast buffet that serves Japanese-style selections such as rice, miso soup, tamagoyaki (rolled-up sweet egg omelette), raw egg to mix with your rice, baby sausage wieners, tazukuri (sweet, dried and cooked sardines), pickled vegetables, agedashi dofu (lightly fried tofu in a tentsuyu... how do I explain it.... fish stock-based broth) , and more. They also serve croissants. Their breakfasts are the best!

They are also across the street from a love hotel, so if you are bored you can watch couples go in and out of the love hotel while you count all the valkyries you bought earlier in the day. There is also a FamilyMart convenience store about 3 blocks away.

Oh yeah, I believe their front desk staff can speak English... I think? 

Just a suggestion, if you want something less expensive than a big name hotel chain, but something much more comfortable than a capsule hotel, that is a hop, skip, and jump from the anime and figure stores.

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

51 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

If you are in Akihabara, you should also check out the various Liberty shops, which sells everything from anime CDs, BDx, DVDs, and collectibles, including toys, both new and used.

ãã£ã®ã¥ã¢è²·åãç§èå

The locations with the pinkish-red rectangular marker are Liberty stops that sell figures, namely Liberty 1, 2, 4,  5, 6, and 8.

I was just thinking of going to Japan some time after the summer peak season.  Have spare air miles to use as an excuse.  I'll have to check out that hotel for the dates that I had in mind, thanks for the suggestion!

3 hours ago, rdrunner said:

I was just thinking of going to Japan some time after the summer peak season.  Have spare air miles to use as an excuse.  I'll have to check out that hotel for the dates that I had in mind, thanks for the suggestion!

If you just need some inexpensive lodging nearby, you can try Airbnb. While I would never use it here in the States, in the Japan Airbnb hosts keep their places impeccably clean. There's a bunch within walking distance of Akihabara.

Also, your first stop in Akihabara should be the Mandarake branch there. :) But there's tons of toy stores so you have lots of choices... just remember to bring your passport as some shops  will waive the consumption tax.

6 minutes ago, Saburo said:

A big box arrived today. :)

173642FD-ECE3-43AF-B1AF-CBEE99D0C54B.thumb.jpeg.0c6f6c702426a979a1fe7306d8ac0799.jpeg

Ohhh looking forward to seeing your low light pics to really show off the glow in the dark effect. Sadly, my camera phone does not have the exposure options needed to really capture how it looks in low light. :(

4 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

If you just need some inexpensive lodging nearby, you can try Airbnb. While I would never use it here in the States, in the Japan Airbnb hosts keep their places impeccably clean. There's a bunch within walking distance of Akihabara.

Also, your first stop in Akihabara should be the Mandarake branch there. :) But there's tons of toy stores so you have lots of choices... just remember to bring your passport as some shops  will waive the consumption tax.

I am a bit wary of using Airbnb. I have heard horror stories regarding homeowners having hidden cameras setup inside bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. I sort of feel like a hotel is a bit safer on that regard.... but that is just me.

2 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I am a bit wary of using Airbnb. I have heard horror stories regarding homeowners having hidden cameras setup inside bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. I sort of feel like a hotel is a bit safer on that regard.... but that is just me.

A lot of people have already seen my junk and I don't care if more people do lol

8 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Thanks Lolicon, yes I have heard good things about Japanese Airbnb so will definitely give that a try.

I was fortunate enough to have worked in Tokyo for 3 months many years ago, and frequented Akihibara and all the second hand toy shops during weekends. Too bad Macross toys wasn't in abundance at the time (this was when the 1/60 V1 just came out).  I think I'll probably blow all the cash on Valkyries within the first couple of days...

1 hour ago, anubis20 said:

Good mail day! Got

- Riobot Mospeada

- Metal Build Arbalest

- Super Robot Chogokin Gurren Lagann 10th Anniversary Ver

- GX-76 Grendizer

- Bring Arts 2B

- Figuarts Frieza

First thing im opening is the Riobot :wub:

New Haul 07/07/2018 New Haul 07/07/2018 New Haul 07/07/2018

Nice loot, I want the gurren lagan now lol 

1 hour ago, anubis20 said:

Good mail day! Got

- Riobot Mospeada

- Metal Build Arbalest

- Super Robot Chogokin Gurren Lagann 10th Anniversary Ver

- GX-76 Grendizer

- Bring Arts 2B

- Figuarts Frieza

First thing im opening is the Riobot :wub:

New Haul 07/07/2018 New Haul 07/07/2018 New Haul 07/07/2018

1 hour ago, Saburo said:

A big box arrived today. :)

173642FD-ECE3-43AF-B1AF-CBEE99D0C54B.thumb.jpeg.0c6f6c702426a979a1fe7306d8ac0799.jpeg

Nice pickups!

7 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

All hands to battle stations, @Saburo is about to mount another assault on our wallets.

I am sure @no3Ljm has a gif for this.  :lol:

7 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Ohhh looking forward to seeing your low light pics to really show off the glow in the dark effect. Sadly, my camera phone does not have the exposure options needed to really capture how it looks in low light. :(

I hope my captures will do the SDF-1 some justice especially with the glow-in-the dark paint.  tekering has already posted some amazing shots.

Have you looked into a camera apps for your phone?  There are some pretty robust apps with quite a bit of controls and setting you can adjust. 

5 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Nice pickups!

Childhood me is really happy and my wallet feels a whole lot lighter.  :lol:

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

So... those ARE HMRs, right? No? Th-they're 1/60s, you say? The box is still twice their size, you say? I ask too many questions, you say?

Yes those are HMRs.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

You're absolutely right, but imagine if they weren't...

I am imagining if they were 1/60 Vals, the SDF-1 would be from head to toe(?) about 2ft tall. :wub:

2 hours ago, Saburo said:

I hope my captures will do the SDF-1 some justice especially with the glow-in-the dark paint.  tekering has already posted some amazing shots.

Have you looked into a camera apps for your phone?  There are some pretty robust apps with quite a bit of controls and setting you can adjust. 

Hmmm I hadn't thought of seeing if any good camera apps exist that will allow me to make long, low light exposures. Time to look into that. Thanks Saburo!

Still want to see your pics though! :D

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Hmmm I hadn't thought of seeing if any good camera apps exist that will allow me to make long, low light exposures. Time to look into that. Thanks Saburo!

Still want to see your pics though! :D

I am sure you have a tripod for the slow shutter shots. 

24 minutes ago, Saburo said:

I am sure you have a tripod for the slow shutter shots. 

I sure do!

16 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

What you can do is get a nice tripod, and take a long exposure with a flash at the start to illuminate the ship and charge the phosphorescence. Then let the rest of the exposure stay dark to get the glowing effect.

That's a good idea. I'll give it a shot. :)

21 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Also, if you are looking for a hotel to stay at, I would suggest Hotel Edoya.

They are relatively cheap in my opinion, have both Japanese and Western-style rooms (aka futon on floor vs. a bed), a small open-air onsen (bath) on the roof, wi-fi internet access, and are a short walk from the Ocha no Mizu railway station and a slightly longer walk to Akihabara's shopping district. Each room also has its own bathroom with Japanese-style deep tub.

Also included is the hotel's all you can eat breakfast buffet that serves Japanese-style selections such as rice, miso soup, tamagoyaki (rolled-up sweet egg omelette), raw egg to mix with your rice, baby sausage wieners, tazukuri (sweet, dried and cooked sardines), pickled vegetables, agedashi dofu (lightly fried tofu in a tentsuyu... how do I explain it.... fish stock-based broth) , and more. They also serve croissants. Their breakfasts are the best!

They are also across the street from a love hotel, so if you are bored you can watch couples go in and out of the love hotel while you count all the valkyries you bought earlier in the day. There is also a FamilyMart convenience store about 3 blocks away.

Oh yeah, I believe their front desk staff can speak English... I think? 

Just a suggestion, if you want something less expensive than a big name hotel chain, but something much more comfortable than a capsule hotel, that is a hop, skip, and jump from the anime and figure stores.

Did you stay there by yourself? I've never stayed at a hotel in Japan. I've stayed with friends mostly or used AirBnB. Though one time I did try out a capsule hotel, that was a new experience.

As for food, I'm more of a Yoshinoya loyalist. I love gyudon and unagidon. :D

On topic:

large.20180508_hmrgundam.png.bd9e9c94d969ea7b33126c6f598f790a.png

1 hour ago, Convectuoso said:

_20180508_074531.thumb.JPG.71a36b98fa6d7da3c1774ca96f8a6149.JPG

Got it for a fairly good price on eBay

Looks good in the box like that.  You should probably keep it that way.  :p

Unless, that is, you have the booster accessory...

5af192bcc565d_boosteraccessory.thumb.jpg.9354b768d42fc1c023bbccc4879059ae.jpg

Either way, transformation is not recommended.  <_<