Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

Nice finds, aaajin! I used to be a fan of the 90's live-action adaptation.

The "Mighty Sword" is more commonly known as the Ultimate Sword. By far one of my favorite sword designs ever.

Thanks! Yeah these were hard to trace in the US. Had to go through hoops since I dont think there are many HK toy e-seller nowadays (even if there are, these are exceptionally hard to find). Was just lucky the pair was listed (separately) on ebay HK.

I was an early fan of the artist (Ma Wing Shing) because occasionally he'd draw stunning movement visuals, scenes & potraits in his comic (water based & pencil-drawn). Then they switched to computer graphics, powered up their characters to better suit the younger readers & I stopped reading. Never get the chance to watch the live action but heard from a friend that it was good.

Thanks! Yeah these were hard to trace in the US. Had to go through hoops since I dont think there are many HK toy e-seller nowadays (even if there are, these are exceptionally hard to find). Was just lucky the pair was listed (separately) on ebay HK.

I was an early fan of the artist (Ma Wing Shing) because occasionally he'd draw stunning movement visuals, scenes & potraits in his comic (water based & pencil-drawn). Then they switched to computer graphics, powered up their characters to better suit the younger readers & I stopped reading. Never get the chance to watch the live action but heard from a friend that it was good.

I remember seeing a complete set of 7-8 Storm Rider swords (1/6th scale) at my local hobby store once. Very nicely detailed and realistic, but I didn't pull the trigger on it since I don't own the accompanying 1/6 figures.

Yeah, Ma is a really good traditional artist. I've never read the comics, but I've seen some illustrations during a Hong Kong comic artwork exhibition in Malaysia way back when. I guess switching to CG is inevitable for professional artists, what with almost everything going digital nowadays--easier editing, color corrections and even the ability to recycle artwork.

The live action movie was a major hit, though it's more of a CG fest, with almost no actual martial arts involved (mind you, the 2 main actors are known more for their looks than anything else). The same can be said for the Pang Brothers sequel (Storm Warriors)--visually, it was a near-complete ripoff of 300, complete with CG blood and comic-style CG backgrounds. Story-wise, the first movie was much better. The sequel ended with a cliffhanger, but given the mediocre box-office reception and mixed reviews, we won't be seeing a 3rd movie any time soon.

The Taiwanese TV adaptation is pretty decent as well. The first one was kinda meh, and one cannot unsee Vincent Zhou (Jet Li's lesser known classmate from his wushu academy days) that an awful wig, but the sequel told a much better story with less ridiculous costumes and hair.

I remember seeing a complete set of 7-8 Storm Rider swords (1/6th scale) at my local hobby store once. Very nicely detailed and realistic, but I didn't pull the trigger on it since I don't own the accompanying 1/6 figures.

Yeah, Ma is a really good traditional artist. I've never read the comics, but I've seen some illustrations during a Hong Kong comic artwork exhibition in Malaysia way back when. I guess switching to CG is inevitable for professional artists, what with almost everything going digital nowadays--easier editing, color corrections and even the ability to recycle artwork.

The live action movie was a major hit, though it's more of a CG fest, with almost no actual martial arts involved (mind you, the 2 main actors are known more for their looks than anything else). The same can be said for the Pang Brothers sequel (Storm Warriors)--visually, it was a near-complete ripoff of 300, complete with CG blood and comic-style CG backgrounds. Story-wise, the first movie was much better. The sequel ended with a cliffhanger, but given the mediocre box-office reception and mixed reviews, we won't be seeing a 3rd movie any time soon.

The Taiwanese TV adaptation is pretty decent as well. The first one was kinda meh, and one cannot unsee Vincent Zhou (Jet Li's lesser known classmate from his wushu academy days) that an awful wig, but the sequel told a much better story with less ridiculous costumes and hair.

I did not watch the TV series, but did see both movies. First was OK-ish (Ekin Cheng & Aaron Kwok) although the storyline diverted a little from the original plot. CG & all was good for that time, but recent rewatch felt kinda meh. 2nd movie was not as good.

These are about 9 in long which is bigger than the 1/6th scale. So the details really stand out. Fire kylin sword looks good but I can no longer find it. Oh well, the search continues..

I did not watch the TV series, but did see both movies. First was OK-ish (Ekin Cheng & Aaron Kwok) although the storyline diverted a little from the original plot. CG & all was good for that time, but recent rewatch felt kinda meh. 2nd movie was not as good.

These are about 9 in long which is bigger than the 1/6th scale. So the details really stand out. Fire kylin sword looks good but I can no longer find it. Oh well, the search continues..

Yeah, the original movie did not age that well. That said, both Cheng and Kwok really looked the part, the latter in particular. It's like they stepped right out of the pages of the comic.

At 9 inches long, those blades would make a pair of awesome desktop deco. Do they come with stands?

Yeah, the original movie did not age that well. That said, both Cheng and Kwok really looked the part, the latter in particular. It's like they stepped right out of the pages of the comic.

At 9 inches long, those blades would make a pair of awesome desktop deco. Do they come with stands?

Yeah they do & now theyre sitting in my detolf. Unfortunately no stands. Each comes with a wooden display box, with foam inserts.

Was looking on ebay for display stands for the swords, but nothing peeks my interest. Any suggestions on toy-sword/weapons display stand?

Yeah they do & now theyre sitting in my detolf. Unfortunately no stands. Each comes with a wooden display box, with foam inserts.

Was looking on ebay for display stands for the swords, but nothing peeks my interest. Any suggestions on toy-sword/weapons display stand?

Given the size of them, dagger stands would be just about right. Not sure where you could buy these, though. Maybe check out some online edged weapons shops.

1.jpg

Dragon-Dagger-with-Display-Stand__12418.

Edited by GU-11

Given the size of them, dagger stands would be just about right. Not sure where you could buy these, though. Maybe check out some online edged weapons shops.

1.jpg

Dragon-Dagger-with-Display-Stand__12418.

those stands look sweet. will check them out when I have time (the week's been hectic!). Thanks!

Edited by aaajin

Looks like my previous order of VF-2SS at HLJ will ship with VF-0S after all. Just placed my 2nd VF-0S order with them with 20% discount off due to previous ankle joint problem. Hope the 2nd one will have no problems. Now I will have extra for the upcoming Reactive Armor. Though I might need to wait a little bit for the SDF-1 and Hot Rodimus before it will get shipped. :rolleyes:

So happy with HLJ. Good thing I listened to the experts here. ^_^

This coming week is gonna be one of the best ever for me, as far as hauls go.

- MP Hot Rod

- Hi-Metal R GBP Armored VF-1J Hikaru

- Hi-Metal R Regult x 2

- Wei Jiang Oversized AoE Evasion Mode Optimus Prime

- Dr. Wu MP Bumblebee replacement faces (silver)

Can't wait. :)

I broke down and bought an alternate headsculpt for MJ on eBay. I had to; he just looked too weird in any kind of action pose with the standard calm expression. Really creepy.

I broke down and bought an alternate headsculpt for MJ on eBay. I had to; he just looked too weird in any kind of action pose with the standard calm expression. Really creepy.

Which one you got?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321207781309?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252134881663?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I broke down and bought a backboard.

I got the first one. The second one doesn't look like him, really. I assume Enterbay is saving the tongue headsculpt for some future release, because it hasn't been featured in any of the MJ figures so far. Wish I could get a set of "shooting hands," the ones with the fingers splayed. Those are included in the black uniform MJ and the Last Shot MJ.

I'd love to get a backboard, but I don't have the space for it.

Edited by Drad

Waiting patiently for the Arcadia 1/60 Scale VF-4G Lightning III to arrive. But recently I've purchased several Revoltech figures. I haven't purchased any Revoltech figures in years, but I have to say, they have REALLY improved. The detail, proportions and articulation in these newest figures is vastly improved beyoned the original lines. The Evangelions in particular possess incredible articulation such that they can achieve so many more varied and elaborate, acrobatic style poses than any figure I've ever seen. Very suitable given the depiction of the Eva's in the new films.

Apologies for the rough photos, but I'm no Saburo and I only had access to my phone camera today :(

Boba Fett (Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back Type)

AV-XO Type X-O Zero (Patlabor - The Movie Type)

Evangelion Unit-01 (Rebuild of Evanlegion: Evangelion 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance Type)

Evangelion Unit-03 (Rebuild of Evanlegion: Evangelion 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance Type)

post-114-0-68881200-1456683895_thumb.jpg

post-114-0-06851500-1456683920_thumb.jpg

post-114-0-57846000-1456683926_thumb.jpg

post-114-0-82644500-1456683934_thumb.jpg