Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

Transformers, by a long shot. I would venture a guess that most people who are fans of Transformers in the US at least know about Gundam, but no one in the US would be a fan of Gundam and know nothing of Transformers.

Yeah. But Gundam is starting to show up outside of dedicated hobby shops at places like Barnes & Noble in the US. I would say it is getting more popular, but it has yet to be as prolific as Transformers.

I wouldn't read into that too much. They had a large push when Gundam Wing was on TV in the US. Toy aisles even had model kits and actions figures from 0083. Didn't last very long. Transformers have more or less been in toy aisles since they first arrived in the 80's. Ask your mom what Transformers are. Now ask her what Gundam is. Pretty good indicator of brand recognition outside of your own circles.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

It looks like the edit function went a little wonky for a moment. :o

Yeti, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to apologize for Gundam in the US or anything. The show has its share of ardent fans here and I'm only a casual viewer. I'm only surprised with how much it has seemingly fought its way out of the hobby shop and into popular culture. Whether my observations are a misunderstanding or not is anyone's guess. In that regard you could be right. I agree that Transformers has a huge benefit of simmering in the US conscious for much longer.

But things tend to move slowly here on the east coast, especially in the north east. Even when Gundam Wing was broadcast two decades ago and became popular I never saw those kits or figures you mention in any toy aisle out my way. It wasn't until the last five years or so when I noticed a change.

Heck, I was into Macross long before I ever heard of Gundam.

It looks like the edit function went a little wonky for a moment. :o

Yeti, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to apologize for Gundam in the US or anything. The show has its share of ardent fans here and I'm only a casual viewer. I'm only surprised with how much it has seemingly fought its way out of the hobby shop and into popular culture. Whether my observations are a misunderstanding or not is anyone's guess. In that regard you could be right. I agree that Transformers has a huge benefit of simmering in the US conscious for much longer.

But things tend to move slowly here on the east coast, especially in the north east. Even when Gundam Wing was broadcast two decades ago and became popular I never saw those kits or figures you mention in any toy aisle out my way. It wasn't until the last five years or so when I noticed a change.

Heck, I was into Macross long before I ever heard of Gundam.

Of course, we are both speaking in generalities from what we have experienced. I could be completely incorrect. I just haven't seen much, in my experience, to the contrary.

It's yellowed a bit but I love this Max S

Just need super parts

(also found bad out how to upload from iPhone. Just edit the picture by rotating it 90 degrees then save it. Edit again and rotate into place and it should come out normally.)

post-19510-0-63870600-1446938400_thumb.jpeg

post-19510-0-53214200-1446938419_thumb.jpeg

post-19510-0-54914600-1446938439_thumb.jpeg

Edited by VF-Zer0S

Its been a while since I got anything new, but he is something I got a few months ago but its certainly not a new toy.

This is one of my holy grail toys, I have always wanted one since I was a child and I am so fortunate to have it in my collection now. :D :D Its in great condition for its age.

Takatoku - Supercar Gattiger

22470665409_5ec8b3a9d7_h.jpg

22240060574_e1b0a2c00f_h.jpg

22240061734_fddbc10c58_h.jpg

22241757293_5f2fd0e6fc_h.jpg

22241663313_b05a112f09_h.jpg

Edited by Saburo

Reminds me of another toy that I had as a child (just for one day). It was the Godaikin Abega.

http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/1984/abega

I returned it to Toys R Us (because I thought it was faulty) and got a G1 Omega Supreme in exchange (because they didn't have any more in stock). I have regretted that decision all my life.

Reminds me of another toy that I had as a child (just for one day). It was the Godaikin Abega.

I returned it to Toys R Us (because I thought it was faulty) and got a G1 Omega Supreme in exchange (because they didn't have any more in stock). I have regretted that decision all my life.

I had one of the cars of the Gattiger set, I got by trading another kid in the neighborhood for it with some of my toys. I asked my parents for the set as an xmas present but never got it. :( So after all these years I got one. :D

I remember the Abega, it was super cool looking. Hopefully you can find one and relive some child hood memories.

1/60 pg unicorn, 1/48 Hasegawa YF-19, Hasegawa DYRL SDF-1, variable fighter episode archives

Very nice! You planning on getting the LED kit for the PG Unicorn?

Awesome score Saburo. The race cars remind me of car from Gatchaman.

Yeah, I plan on getting the LED kit. I've seen a bootleg of the LED that is half the price and is well regarded.

Awesome score Saburo. The race cars remind me of car from Gatchaman.

Yeah, I plan on getting the LED kit. I've seen a bootleg of the LED that is half the price and is well regarded.

Thank you, I was so happy to get it after all of these years. You are correct it is very Gatchaman like, the show was basically a copy of Gatchaman. 5 teenagers fighting an evil organization, with these super high tech cars. ^_^

Wow, I didn't know they made a bootleg LED set, but I am not surprised by it either. Looking forward to seeing pics of the completed kit with LEDs. :D

The bootleg Led set is infinitely better! I got it when it was first released for $50, they have since raised the price to about $80. The pros are:

- Can be connected by USB and be on all the time

- Can use a rechargeable cell phone battery if you cant have it connected by USB

- Remote control to turn it on and control the lights. Has different display modes

- the feature that sold me was the sound. Check it out i recorded a video

Havent installed mine yet though.

Not something I purchased, instead this is what my wonderful girlfriend gave me for my birthday.

WP 20151108 002

She also baked my birthday cake, red velvet with cream cheese frosting, from scratch. She's amazing and she most certainly knows my fetishes...

Its been a while since I got anything new, but he is something I got a few months ago but its certainly not a new toy.

This is one of my holy grail toys, I have always wanted one since I was a child and I am so fortunate to have it in my collection now. :D :D Its in great condition for its age.

Nice! I really like those old 'gattai' vehicles. ;)

That's too bad. I remember that toy too. Saw one back in 1988, didn't bother to ask my parents before since we couldn't afford it back then. Right now seeing that Albegas by Evolution Toys brings back memories. But it's quite expensive for an 18in toy. Hehehe. :lol:

1/60 pg unicorn, 1/48 Hasegawa YF-19, Hasegawa DYRL SDF-1, variable fighter episode archives

Thank you, I was so happy to get it after all of these years. You are correct it is very Gatchaman like, the show was basically a copy of Gatchaman. 5 teenagers fighting an evil organization, with these super high tech cars. ^_^

Wow, I didn't know they made a bootleg LED set, but I am not surprised by it either. Looking forward to seeing pics of the completed kit with LEDs. :D

It's so sad to see that all Bandai Gunpla has bootlegs.

Not something I purchased, instead this is what my wonderful girlfriend gave me for my birthday.

She also baked my birthday cake, red velvet with cream cheese frosting, from scratch. She's amazing and she most certainly knows my fetishes...

Happy Birthday!

This just happened!

Congrats!

Nice set Saburo! My cousin got hold of this set a while back and they are pretty awesome! I can only barely remember the series as a kid but seeing the cars in the flesh was pretty cool! Congrats on your fine acquisition! B))

to everyone else.. nice purchases guys! :)

Edited by spanner76