Bubblegum Crisis BD kickstarter

Keith

Like David, I haven't been looking at the kickstarter page carefully and missed the recent revisions. It's worth noting that $50 is still decent for a mulit-disc, no-frills blu-ray that one could buy from on-line stores in the U.S. However, it would be nice to have a lower $35 basic tier to get more backers and then create higher tiers that somehow make the kickstarter release more exclusive than the general $50 release.

Maybe they could even limit the $35 tier to zero day supportes only. Then those buying the basic set will have an opportunity to get a discount and those coming into it later can go basic for $50 or buy into the higher tiers to get something nice with the blu-rays and DVDs. I think those kind of kickstarters work best in the long run, but that is just my opinion. It seems that Animeigo has only a few incentives to draw people in right now. Here are things that I noticed that concern me:

• They are using limited cell art from a personal collection. That's a real sacrifice, but why go to those lengths? Does Animeigo (the company) have general access to its own limited cells so that we can have other notable characters in the higher tiers? To me this seems as though they are downplaying the popularity of a U.S. release. As a backer, I want to see confidence from day one.
  • The revised page notes that a soundtrack option is possible, but going down that route would sacrifice the music videos? Why? That was confusing to me. A kickstarter allows one to budget out possible tiers, why not budget out the soundtrack and the music videos? I think they are getting locked down with too many of the fine details on the Animeigo forum. They need to shoot for the stars first.
  • I think the higher tiers need more incentives. And this is where I agree with JetJockey. Having something else included, like a figure or an artbook or a designer boxset would help me to jump in at a higher level. Although, I understand that sometimes the balance of money, timing, and licensing can be tricky.

Anyway, random thoughts...

Edited by technoblue

All I want from this is the Japanese BD master with subs, full Hurricane Live, and Holiday in Bali. AD Police would be nice, A vocal collection skjndtrack would be awesome.

As for Macross, I'm pretty sure HG made a sise deal with ADV, and didn't let them renew their license.

I think you guys are missing that this is called the "Ultimate Edition Box Set" yet there is nothing "Ultimate" about it so far. The only thing almost guaranteed is a new transfer. Which I'm not sure is really needed. It's something for Animeigo to pat themselves on the back about afterwards. And watch as fanboys debate which transfer is the best on the forums.

I was searching around and I found a post on Fandompost that kind of suggested that this Kickstarter was supposed to be private. Or at least for a while. But even now, since people know about it you would think that Animeigo would have the prices and box set extras and materials listed on site. Many people say how some Kickstarter projects are like asking for handouts. That is what this seems like to me. There are tons of anime shows released on DVD/Blu-ray. Some are successful and some not. That's part of business. If they want my $100+ for this project they are going to have to set this up a lot better.

i want ad police and crash but don't want 2040

They are already talking about needing a lot more than $100,000 to have AD Police. And Crash is almost out of the question it seems like. Some are even talking about new English dubs. It's getting crazy already and no real talk of the extras except a few posts about throwaway keychains and USB sticks.

I've never seen AD Police. I will eventually. Not sure I really need Crash on Blu-ray. I only like the intro. The show is inferior to the original.

--The Kickstarter was just updated with maybe the final version--

I'm fairly 100% sure I'm not getting this version. At least the Kickstarter version. I'll get the Japanese version or wait for the normal Animeigo release that will go to retail. This is the part that I have the most trouble with.

"You come up with the ideas... we'll figure out if they are feasible and how much they'll cost... and then everyone will get to vote on how the budget gets allocated."

So basically give them as much money as you can. Come up with the ideas because they are too lazy to do it. Then they will see what the cost is and if it can be included after they put everything that should be in a standard release in the set. They'll still call it an "Ultimate Edition" even though it's basically a "Kickstarter Edition" as this could have just those small trinkets as a bonus. I have better ideas for an "Ultimate Edition" right now and I've only spent a few minutes thinking about it.

Edited by JetJockey

Give me a true perfect transformation Moto slave set in 1/12

And make it for a 200$ level and call me interested. The Yamato ones

Were too damn finicky.

No way that's happening. I'm still waiting on a better Motoslave too.

The cels they are offering at the high levels aren't even that special. I've seen many better ones in Rubberslug galleries. There is even a similar one of Largo and a good Priss one on eBay now. The Priss one is $200+ with a best offer option. I would take that Priss cel and wait for the BGC Blu-ray at discount in 2015.

The Kickstarter was updated again.

I had some ideas for this BGC project and want to get it out there. I don’t have a Kickstarter account. And don’t want to sign up for Animeigo’s forum. As it seems people are fairly content with what Animeigo is offering right now. To me this feels like the “we can sell desperate older anime fans anything version” instead of the “Ultimate Edition.”

Also, this is what I believe the person in charge posted:

“Testing the business model is a big reason we are doing this -- not just for re-releasing stuff we’ve done in the past, but also for doing projects we wanted to do but couldn’t justify.”

There can be a “business model” for anything. And I really dislike the idea that they are “testing” this with BGC. That they can’t “justify” doing BGC even though this is the same company that released it multiple times on DVD. Not to mention the number of times it was released on VHS. I have the original release in the plastic cases. But I remember seeing some in paper sleeves too and of course the English versions. Also, it is on Blu-ray in Japan and they still can’t “justify” it. It doesn’t make the slightest bit of sense. Except if they know it won’t make the sort of money they want so they say we’ll let the fans fund and come up with all the ideas and call it the “Ultimate Edition” even though it’s far from that. I can’t believe this is the same company that released BGC to begin with.

Anyway my ideas for a true “Ultimate Edition” or at the least how I would setup the Kickstarter and inform fans of what’s going to happen:

1. New transfer. They need to compare old Remastered version (perhaps even the 1999 version as well) to the current Japanese HD version and make a project goal screen capture so we see that this new transfer is worth it. Confirm that the Blu-ray will be released as a normal edition in 2015. Because it will. Saying it might is lying when they are doing this new transfer. I’m pretty sure now the reason I’m still upset about that Macross set was because it was sold as a limited offer and I thought I wasn’t going to be able to get it afterwards. Besides, all the successful Kickstarter projects I’ve noticed get normal releases. Anyway, they need to make it clear that they want to do something special for BGC fans. To make this the final BGC Collection to own. Even though companies rarely say they won’t release a title again but this should really be it.

2. It should be clear that this stuff will not make the standard release. That this is the “limited” version that some editions get.

3. Full color booklets with backstory, character bios, mech designs, episode synopsis, + creator profiles. This should be included. I don’t think Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers was that popular. Yet it received the full series in two volumes with slipcases and full color booklets in both. Here is a review of the first set:

4. Custom disc artwork voted by funders. The standard release will not get this artwork at all. We should know the standard edition’s artwork so we know we are getting something cool.

5. USB Stick inspired by Hardsuit designs - Priss, Sylia, Nene, and Linna versions. Since they seem set on the idea of giving people all the materials on a flash drive. Which I don’t need since I have all the books and most of everything else. So I don’t think there will be anything I haven’t seen. These shouldn’t just be different colored sticks but need to actually be designed. They should look like they could attach to a hardsuit. There should have been a vote for the most popular Knight Saber. The voting could have been setup before the Kickstarter so it’s a surprise. Higher funders will get all the knight saber USB sticks. I don’t know if the others should be based on popularity poll. Or just an equal number for the lower level donations.

6. Steelbook with original artwork and interior artwork. I think the idea of the steelbook should go well with the Knight Sabers suits.

7. New Kenichi Sonoda artwork for the steelbook? I think he drew the Japanese Blu-ray box artwork. Not sure. But I don’t like it as much as his original artwork. But this could be an idea.

8. New commentary from some of the creators: Kenichi Sonoda, Shinji Aramaki, and others?

9. Promo poster. There were a bunch of BGC posters released. Probably the best one or the one I missed is this one with Priss and her Motoslave.

post-15104-0-19766100-1382068335_thumb.jpg

10. Pencil Box with artwork on top and sides. I'm still looking for a good anime pencil box. I was thinking about getting this Macross DYRL one a while back:

post-15104-0-88812500-1382068321_thumb.jpg

11. Soundtrack with select songs. I use select because BGC fans know a CD was released for every episode. Plus, a two volume vocal collection soundtrack. Also, a three disc complete vocal collection set was released. So a complete soundtrack would be too much.

12. AD Police - Separate steelbook. High fund level. Or separate Kickstarter project.

13. Crash! - Separate steelbook. High fund level. Or separate Kickstarter project.

14. Steelcase for whole set if AD Police and Crash! goals are reached. This could be similar to the Paul Champagne case I have for BGC now. I don’t think there is a steelbook out there that will hold all the Blu-rays and a booklet.

post-15104-0-12289600-1382068346_thumb.jpg

They could use the items as incentives for the lower fund levels depending on the production cost. For example, the poster at $15, the pencil case at $25, and the USB stick at $35. Leading up to the Basic DVD Box set at $50 and the Premium with everything at $100 or more. Keep layering everything. The financial stuff is easy once you check out the costs. Right now the idea of the set and a trinket coin isn’t exciting me at all.

Edited by JetJockey

Guest davidwhangchoi

screw this i'm not backing them... i was so excited but all the stuff is gone.... deflated...

also galaxy rangers was awesome. goose... i got that set in my house...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

With 28 days to go, it looks like this kickstarter will go the distance. It sucks that the limited stuff was severely limited, but this worries me more than that:

Premium supporters get everything Basic supporters get. Half of the pledge goes right into the production budget, but up to 50% of that portion will be assigned to a special Premium production budget that only Premium supporters will decide how to allocate, either for special commemorative items made just for them, or to enhance the final product for everyone.

I'm with david because of this clause alone. I do not like the idea that the project could change once it succeeds to raise funding. Too many Kickstarters are starting to do this sort of fudge after the fact. I was hoping that the old Animeigo team would avoid it. I do wish them mountains of success, though. And I hope this doesn't create an opening for endless debate on the final product.

I canceled my pledge, I like BBGC but this isn't worth the money they want.

Plus you're right, this is going to get thrown into a committee of nerds who will argue

To the death.

Plus there's no real incentive.. 50$ for a Bluray?

I'll stick to my 5$ DVDs from the local record shop.

i'd probably be more interested if $50 gets me all 3 series, the original bubblegum crisis, crash, and 2040; plus AD Police (even though I already have 2040 and ADP in DVD format, and a HK-issued BGC)

plus, someone like ADV might end up putting those out later as a set (just like they did with R*Tech using remastered material)

I still think you guys are missing the point of this, but whatever. I've got my $100 pledge in, don't care about the bonus pledge items, and will be part of the vocal Mania.com/aod.com community that asks for the video not to be screwed with. I'm hoping for Hurricanr Live, and Holiday In Bali as extra's. If AD Police make's it, awesme. But I'm pretty sure it and Crash weren't remastered in Japan, so not sure how much point there is in including them.

Edited by Keith

Keith: I'm not worried about your dedication in this. And I really do appreciate what Robert Woodhead is doing. I hesitate and "wait and see" when it comes to specifics that seem odd like what I quoted above, that's all. It would be nice to see Hurricane Live and the animated music videos in HD. I noticed that there is a link to a sample on the Kickstarter page now, but I am unable to find the 1080p version... It also looks like they are working close with the Japanese Licensors, which is nice to read.

AD Police was all right, so that isn't much of an incentive and I don't care about getting my name listed anywhere either.

Meh, I still have 27 days to flip-flop.

I've never really been impressed with AnimEigo's disc authoring quality or their packaging. And they also want to recut the music videos? Eek... I'll hope for the best.

That said, $50 isn't that much money to pledge and get the disc. I'm in.

Great news! It looks the project made its initial goal with 25 days to go.

And...I've decided to join in. Having subtitled BGC in HD with some extras will be nice, and not having to pay an import price is even better. After reading the Kickstarter page one more time, I also found more to like and less to worry about. Anyway, it took me two pages and almost a whole month to come 'round again, ha!

I backed them. I never got around to getting the remastered DVD set, so a BD set will be nice. I still have the original VHS clamshell cases that include lyrics to all the songs. The tapes themselves were different colors too.

I'm backing them also. Hopefully with all the extra money that comes around they will include Crash, AD Police and the 2040 reboot (I know it is crap and Silia doesn't look hot anymore but I kinda dig Priss).

This will be the first anime I bought in a looooooooooong time but BGC was my first love and I'd love to see Double Vision in full hd. :)

Edited by Scyla

i'd probably be more interested if $50 gets me all 3 series, the original bubblegum crisis, crash, and 2040; plus AD Police (even though I already have 2040 and ADP in DVD format, and a HK-issued BGC)

plus, someone like ADV might end up putting those out later as a set (just like they did with R*Tech using remastered material)

I have no doubt that someone will release this or the whole thing to normal retail. The idea of them making a new transfer and not trying to get a larger audience is crazy.

Also, did everyone check out the video? The guy was talking about crying over that Largo cel but behind him is a large cel of Priss from Crash with it looks like the matching background. That's far better than the Largo cel. I wonder what else he has stashed that he's keeping to himself.

I knew this would be successful. I hope they start putting up ideas soon since they have the money. They keep adding stuff after the fact like old domestic promo posters and the chance to recut some music videos. No real talk of this Ultimate Set yet.

Edited by JetJockey

I think Keith has the right idea. This is a good project because it brings subtitled HD BGC to the US next year, along with the music videos and the live concert. The Japanese import release costs four times as much as backing this Kickstarter (to get the Blus) and is a true barebones release.

The other bonuses (like the digital artwork) are great, but the cores stuff is what I am really focusing on. Since it appears Woodhead is a big BGC fan, I'm not sure what you are getting at in your criticism of the layout of his office, and the collections he keeps. Personally, I do not know the guy and will not judge his character based off of a promo video. That is a little silly.

Edited by technoblue

I think Keith has the right idea. This is a good project because it brings subtitled HD BGC to the US next year, along with the music videos and the live concert. The Japanese import release costs four times as much as backing this Kickstarter (to get the Blus) and is a true barebones release.

The other bonuses (like the digital artwork) are great, but the cores stuff is what I am really focusing on. Since it appears Woodhead is a big BGC fan, I'm not sure what you are getting at in your criticism of the layout of his office, and the collections he keeps. Personally, I do not know the guy and will not judge his character based off of a promo video. That is a little silly.

I don't know where you got that I was criticizing his office. I was noting that he mentioned that he would cry or something to that nature if someone paid the $1000 for his favorite Largo cel yet he has a far better Priss from Crash cel on the video behind him. I've seen better BGC cels go for far less than $1000. Of course it's about backing the project too but that Largo cel is the bonus. And I don't know how much of a big fan he is if he's wary about releasing one of their first releases on VHS on Blu-ray. Look at it this way, he wanted $75,000 to finance the project originally. I've met people with more than $75,000 on one credit card. I just find it hard to believe that this company that's been around this long and released BGC multiple times doesn't want to make the hopefully final release in HD without taking the slightest bit of risk.

I really think they didn't think this would be successful. Or barely successful. I skimmed an interview and that's what I got out of it. Who knows what other anime titles they looked at as a comparison. I said it before but I just really don't like these company projects / asking for handouts. You guys are even saying just getting HD BGC with subtitles and that other stuff is ok. But then why call it an Ultimate Edition? I know a lot of people like to pitch in with these Kickstarters. Maybe they get excited about the idea of seeing their name on something like this. But shouldn't Animeigo know if they get $75,000 what will be in the set. Or at $80,000, $90,000, $100,000, etc. That's why I don't like the way this is being handled. And many other Kickstarters do know the costs up front and have all the bonuses ready on day one. And on top of that them saying we pay ourselves first with 50% of the money after fees and another cut for production. Then fans can work out what they want and we'll see the costs. That sort of thing is just asking for more fees or hidden costs after the fact. But hopefully Animeigo is a stand up company in that regard. It's just the fact that this "experiment" is now probably a bit more successful than they thought so they will release more stuff like this. That's the biggest problem. But we'll see what the final set is like. I still don't see the need to donate $100 right now.

Edited by JetJockey

Okay. You were criticising the fact that it was hard for him to piece apart his cell art collection because there was another, more expensive piece of cell art shown in the video. I can only assume that room where he is shooting the video is a home office or something and he decorated it appropriately. Please don't read too much into what I wrote. I wasn't trying to put words into your mouth or anything.

Are there better presented Kickstarters out there? I'm sure of it. I have backed a handful, but for me what sets a good Kickstarter apart from the rest is activity, communication, and forward progress. To me, this has both, and that is a very good sign.

And you may be right. Had this Kickstarter not happened, Animeigo might have struggled through and released HD BGC anyway, or they may have sold the license to another U.S. distributor, or they may have let the Japanese licensor handle the release. Whatever the case, I question whether this 2-disc set with the extras would have become a reality. I do think in this scenario we might have been given retimed DVD subtitiles and the barebones HD remaster. I also think we would have been looking at a MSRP of about $175 US to discourage reverse importing. The thing is, this is all speculation. What is known is that you can sign up for this Kickstarter today and get a copy HD BGC for just $50, or pledge more and get involved.

While I'm usually hesitant about promoting the MAHQ podcast because I'm not a fan of its brand of humor and find the hosts to be generally disrespectful, this episode they've actually come up with some content thats new and original (for once) - an interview with Robert Woodhead about the Bubblegum Crisis kickstarter.

http://gundamnmahq.blogspot.jp/2013/11/gundamn-mahq-special-025-kickstarter.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Grand Mal has leeched the majority of the extras money because people thought it was the Japanese manga and/or they just really like their Blu-Rays with comic book PDFs. At least we got nice packaging. I voted for packaging first, Amaray and chipboard, and then kanji subtitles with premium as first priority.

Grand Mal has leeched the majority of the extras money because people thought it was the Japanese manga and/or they just really like their Blu-Rays with comic book PDFs. At least we got nice packaging. I voted for packaging first, Amaray and chipboard, and then kanji subtitles with premium as first priority.

It's a big joke. You can get those comics for cheap. And I don't think they are that good. At least I never got them back in the day. I did get a few of the Dirty Pair ones by the same artist that were fun. I had a bad feeling about this and I was right. So much for it being an "Ultimate Edition."

So glad I backed this.

That's funny, I'm so glad I didn't sign up. Many on other forums can't believe how this is turning out too. Animeigo could have really made something special with an HD version of their first VHS release. There were posts of what they weren't going to do from the beginning. Without even posting the costs. Booklet - too much, steelcase - too much/might be damaged, Crash! - too much, scans of the B-Club - too much, new interviews - nope. It goes on and on.

I will be very curious about the cost of the normal set if and when it's released next year or so.

Edited by JetJockey