I usually do a horror movie marathon for the month of October and try to catch up on any stuff I've missed in the last year or so. This year I went with some classics, some favorites *, and a few I haven't seen yet. Going to try to get through them all before the 30th.

1. Monkey Shines - 1988

2. Visting Hours - 1982

3. 2LDK - 2003

4. The Sentinel - 1977

5. The Exorcist III - 1990

6. Madman - 1981

7. Humongous - 1982

8. Evil Dead - 2013

9. Trick 'R treat - 2007 *

10. Halloween - 1978 *

11. High Tension - 2003 *

12. Halloween 4 - 1988 *

13. Jason Goes to Hell - 1993 *

14. Near Dark - 1987 *

15. The Beyond - 1981 *

16. Fright Night - 1985 *

17. Amityville Horror 2: The Possession - 1982

18. The Day of the Beast - 1995

19. Them - 2006

20. Mutants - 2009

21. Let Me In - 2010

An evil Dead movie without Bruce Campbell is like a Pink Panther movie without Peter Sellers - it just does not work.

I am not a fan of most horror movies, far too much gore and far too little horror. My list would be short.

Holloween.

Alien

Them

Dagons Dragon (the Space 1999 episode, STILL one of the scariest things I have ever seen)

I've seen both versions of REC. the Spanish version is good, the american version is basically identical but less clever. I've yet to see the sequals.

I saw 2, but I never got around to 3. Really fun stuff.

I need to see more classic monster stuff. I tend to go in for French horror films and kind of psychological terror over all.

Alrighty! No idea what kind of monsters and eras you like so here are some shots in the dark:

50s B-Movie cheese: The Deadly Mantis, The Beast From 20000 Fathoms, The Land Unknown, THEM!, The Black Scorpion, It Came From Beneath The Sea, The Monolith Monsters, 20 Million Miles To Earth, The Wasp Woman, Attack of The Crab Monsters, The Blob, Attack of The 50 Foot Woman, and Kronos.

Space setting cheese: This Island Earth, The Mysterians, The X From Outer Space, Gorath, Cat Women of The Moon, Star Crystal, The Green Slime, and Doom.

Rise of TV cheese (60s and 70s): 1 Million BC, The Lost World (1960), Grizzly (1976), The Car, Rana: The Legend of Shadow Lake, Cujo, Crocodile (1979), Snowbeast, The Devil's Messenger, Q: The Winged Serpent, Equinox, Prophecy (1979), and Blood Tide (technically 80s but eh). Also check out Hammer's remakes on Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Mummy.

Modernesque cheese (80s and 90s): Humanoids From The Deep (preferably the 96 version, but both are good), Tremors (4 movies all good), Watchers, Deep Rising, Night of The Creeps, The Monster Squad, the Ghoulies sequels (the first was a joke), Leviathan, Deep Star Six, Children of The Corn 1-5 (technically 8 movies total), Parasite (1982), Nightbreed, Creature (both 1985 and the Peter Benchley version), Stephen King's It, The Langoliers, Carrie, Christine, and Silver Bullet.

21st Century cheese: Sharktopus, 2-Headed Shark Attack, Eight Legged Freaks, Swamp Shark, Wolvesbayne, Iron Invader, Paranormal Entity (I don't care what Keith says this movie can be legitimately creepy), Unrest (scariest movie ever, well, to me at least), Grizzly Park, Grizzly Rage, Super Gator, Sand Sharks, Husk, Kaw, Splinter, Rubber, Pulse (have not seen the sequels), Mansquito, and the Feast trilogy.

Kaiju cheese: Any Godzilla and Gamera, Rodan, Mothra, Atragon, the Daimajin trilogy, Frankenstein vs. Baragon, Varan The Unbelievable, Space Amoeba, The H-Man (technically not kaiju but it is Toho), Killer Mountain, Troll Hunter, Monster (2008), Gappa, Yonggary: Monster From The Deep, Death Kappa, Kraa! The Sea Monster, Gorgo, 2010: Moby Dick, and Reptilicus.

Other Stuff: Doctor X, The Devil Bat, TerrorVision, Up From The Depths, King Cobra, Rest Stop, Legion of The Dead, See No Evil, White Zombie, Deadly Species, Event Horizon, The Gorgon, Curse of The Talisman, The Cave, Garuda, Ice Crawlers, Silent Predators, Shapeshifter (2005; Velku is also my favorite werewolf of all time), Marabunta, Mimic 1 and 2 (3 is a really boring Rear Window knockoff), Incubus (that goat head prop at the end was really creepy, kind of weird since this was William Shattner's first movie), Graveyard Shift, and Tiki (if you want comedy in your horror this does it better than even Gremlins; you have no idea how hard it was for me to say that).

Utter trash but then again I'm DuelGundam2099 so you might like these: I Walked With a Zombie (194-something), Dogora, Deep Sea Monster Reigo, The Bone Snatcher, C.H.U.D., Kingdom of The Spiders, Parasite (2003), Hammerhead: Shark Frenzy, Gryphon, Shark Swarm, Creepshow (second movie was just okay), Alien vs. Hunter, Centipede, Razorteeth, Tintorera (WORST. 20TH. CENTURY. MOVIE. EVER!), Congo, Komodo vs. Cobra, Dinocroc vs. Supergator, The Eden Formula, Raptor, Species: The Awakening (they really needed to stop at 3), and Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Here's some older fun

The Gate

Ants ( the suzanne summers version )

Night of the leepers ( I think this one might be a pita to find)

Either way giant mutant killer rabbits is always a win.

And not horror really, but ruined half my childhood sleep cycles

Fire in the Sky.

> Night of the leepers

That is lepus, not Leepers. Leepers probably would be even harder to find...

Truly dreadful film, regular rabbits filmed against miniature buildings, still it beats out "End of the World" where regular crickets are filmed crawling on the PICTURE of a building... (watch the MST3K version of "End of the World" for a treat - and "Manos the Hands of Fate" too)

> Night of the leepers

That is lepus, not Leepers. Leepers probably would be even harder to find...

Truly dreadful film, regular rabbits filmed against miniature buildings, still it beats out "End of the World" where regular crickets are filmed crawling on the PICTURE of a building... (watch the MST3K version of "End of the World" for a treat - and "Manos the Hands of Fate" too)

I think you mean "The Beginning of the End." I was so sad when the deaf and mute guy got eaten by the crickets...

Haha thanks man. That's a lot to sift through! I appreciate your specialized knowledge.

No problem. Most of the stuff listed is for more entry level and along the lines of "pick a couple out of the bunch and see what you like". Lots of other movies I wanted to mention, but did not come to mind. I also left out the Universal Horror classics because I wanted some other movies a chance to shine.

I usually do a horror movie marathon for the month of October and try to catch up on any stuff I've missed in the last year or so. This year I went with some classics, some favorites *, and a few I haven't seen yet. Going to try to get through them all before the 30th.

Cool. I've been doing the same thing for years now... though it includes both horror and Hallowe'en-themed films. I go bit more overboard, though :p . Here's this year's list.

An American Werewolf in London

Carrie

Cloverfield

Dark Skies

Darkness

The Descent

Dog Soliders

Evil Dead (2013)

The Fog (1980)

From Beyond

From Dusk 'Til Dawn

House of the Devil

The Howling

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Jaws

Jeepers Creepers

Jennifer's Body

Land of the Dead

The Last Exorcism

Let Me In

Night of the Creeps

Wes Craven's New Nightmare

The Others

Pan's Labyrinth

Pitch Black

Quarantine

The Ring

The Ruins

Silent Hill

Creature From the Black Lagoon

Freddy vs. Jason

The Shining

Stake Land

Sleepy Hollow

The Crazies (2010)

Splice

Sinister

Slither

Splinter

The Thing (2011)

The Thing (1982)

30 Days of Night

Trick 'r Treat

28 Days Later

Blood: The Last Vampire

The Exorcist

Poltergeist

Videodrome

Hallowe'en (1978)

Hallowe'en II

Hallowe'en III: Season of the Witch

Hallowe'en H20

Resident Evil

The Omen (1976)

Uzumaki

Dagon

House

C.H.U.D.

The Blob (1988)

Near Dark

Body Snatchers

The Legend of Hell House

Them!

Monster House

Humanoids From the Deep

Hellraiser

Hellraiser 2: Hellbound

• 1 year later...

My marathon for This year:

\WeekEND I:

Evil Dead (2013) B+
Curse of Chucky (2013) C-
Devil (2010) D-
Creep (2004) C+
Nightmare on Elm St. 3 Dream Warriors (1987)

C+

\WeekEND II:

Friday the 13th Part IV (1984) B-
The Burning (1981) B
Maniac (2012) A
Brainscan (1994) D
Phantasm (1979)
Frailty (2001)
The Strangers (2008)
I Spit on your Grave (2012)

\WeekEND III:

Exorcist III (1990
Bird with Crystal Plumage (1970)
Tenebre (1982)
Surveillance (2008)
Inside (2009)
In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
Prince of Darkness (1987)

\WeekEND IV:

High Tension (2003)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
Halloween 4 (1988)
Satan's Little Helper (2004)
Alone in the Dark (1982)
Eyes of A Stranger (1981)

\Halloween Week:

Trick R Treat (2008)
Halloween (1978)
Halloween 2 (1981)
Halloween (2007)
Halloween 5 (1989)

Edited by Gakken85

Some really good (as in actually good and campy/classic good) movies listed.

Not sure if I saw Cabin in the Woods listed, but that's be a good watch and infinitely better than that horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible Evil Dead movie which was horrible.

And for the record I'm really digging Penguin's list. If for now other reason than the Neil Marshall love. BUT, if you haven't seen it already Halloween III Season of the Witch had nothing to do with the Carpenter Halloween movies was actually worse than the Evil Dead remake.

The above is of course just my humble opinion. :p

-b.

Haha I could riff on why I don't like cabin the woods much. I liked the concept, but the ending ruined it for me on a lot of levels... plus I think Whedon missed the point of what horror movies are really about in the theme of the film. I can see why people like it, but yeah.

As for Evil Dead I didn't think they could capture the quirk of the original, so they just went for bare bones blood and guts. I can respect that. I really enjoyed the burial scene with the plastic bag over the head.

For me in October, I tend to stick to movies that are kind of killer-at-night-stalking-prey, or directly halloween/slasher related. I stay away from sci-fi type horror movies, even if they are great. The Thing is one of my favorite movies, period but I don't usually include it. I also stay away from Zombie files because I'm sick of them going on forever now. Heh.

Edited by Gakken85

Haha I could riff on why I don't like cabin the woods much. I liked the concept, but the ending ruined it for me on a lot of levels... plus I think Whedon missed the point of what horror movies are really about in the theme of the film. I can see why people like it, but yeah.

As for Evil Dead I didn't think they could capture the quirk of the original, so they just went for bare bones blood and guts. I can respect that. I really enjoyed the burial scene with the plastic bag over the head.

For me in October, I tend to stick to movies that are kind of killer-at-night-stalking-prey, or directly halloween/slasher related. I stay away from sci-fi type horror movies, even if they are great. The thing is one of my favorite movies period but I don't usually include it. I also stay away from Zombie files because I'm sick of them haha.

Yeah, Cabin in the Woods is a stretch as a straight up Halloween playlist type of movie, but it's got enough "horror" in it that it's worth a second thought or discussion. I didn't like the ending at first either, but it grew on me as I took the movie as a whole.

I don't mind that the Evil Dead isn't campy like the original (or really Evil Dead II), I just thought that it wasn't a very good movie. One of those instances where my normally very flexible ability to suspend disbelief couldn't deal.

And yeah, Prince of Darkness needs to be on someone's list. That was some scary sh!t.

-b.

Well.. for one thing.. if they are going to have an ancient evil pop out at the end... why not Cthulhu? Why some giant human hands? Tentacles please.

But yeah, it just felt like a sci-fi tv special to me. Also.. horror movies aren't really about punishing kids because they are young. It's about facing down mortal terror that you can't explain, or easily stop. It's a self-inventory of mortality.

Also, why would a friggin building full of monsters not attack each other? Like, they are only going to go for security guards? I'd rather see zombies attack the wolfman or some crap if we're going to play that stupid game.

Also, the whole movie thinks it's so clever and challenging, but the ending completely relies on the troupe of wrestling for a gun? For realz? And then the motives of the last three characters flip flop back and forth.

As with Kevin Smith, I feel like Whedon just doesn't quite have his finger on what makes a good horror film and he's trying to filter it through nerd culture.

But I digress...

As for the Evil Dead film, I wouldn't say it's a good movie either, but it's fun and violent haha.

Also, I hate found footage with a passion. crap bores me to tears. Blair witch worked the first viewing for a reason, and that's about all there is to say about it. haha.

Prince of darkness! I should add that to my list. Forgot about it completely.

Edited by Gakken85

*I secretly love Whedon and Smith* :p

As for the Evil Dead film, I wouldn't say it's a good movie either, but it's fun and violent haha.

Also, I hate found footage with a passion. crap bores me to tears. Blair witch worked the first viewing for a reason, and that's about all there is to say about it. haha.

Prince of darkness! I should add that to my list. Forgot about it completely.

Can't disagree, but I will say that I hated Blair Witch from jump and most found footage films make me roll my eyes although some are subjectively (or relatively?) "better" than others.

And yes, Prince of Darkness for the win. I heat Carpenter and recently Neil Marshall who I think follows in the same vein of making some really good/fun cult-following type movies.

-b.