DYRL vs EoE...which is the more beautiful film?

isamu

DYRL? Why not "The Ideon: Be Invoked?"

Ah, beautiful or not... It's so subjective and depends on your own taste...

BTW, did "Anno explosion" (庵野爆発) appear in EoE? Obviously in DYRL, you know.

Yeah...End of Evangelion. The movie is such a mind rape but the imagery especially the second half is just pure thought provoking eye candy.

DYRL? Why not "The Ideon: Be Invoked?"

Ah, beautiful or not... It's so subjective and depends on your own taste...

BTW, did "Anno explosion" (庵野爆発) appear in EoE? Obviously in DYRL, you know.

Can you explain what "The Ideon: Be Invoked" is? And what is Anno Explosion?

Guest davidwhangchoi

the end all be all anime is LLA and second is shadow chronicles, it mind rapes you in a different way. it takes away your childhood memories and joy. jk, ;)

Can you explain what "The Ideon: Be Invoked" is? And what is Anno Explosion?

"Ideon" was Tomino's masterpiece. I prefer it to Gundam, and Evangelion was influenced by it especially EoE.
Didn't you know Anno explosion? I thought you know Anno's work so much, so you asked the question. Didn't you mean "which Anno's work do you think more beautiful?"
FYI
DYRL
A nuke test

The two movies are too different for me to really compare...

Gubaba, IIRC, Ideon was one of your favorite movies.

Yes, it is. I was saying that "Ai: Oboeteimasuka" and "End of Evangelion" are too different... I can't compare them to each other. Both are visual feasts, but in totally different ways.

That is why I asked which one do you think is more beautiful *ONLY* in terms of visuals go. Any anime can be compared if we're talking about visuals and animation style/imagery. If I'm not mistaken Anno-san also did some small work on DYRL.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i like DYRL,

Evangelion movie does look pretty, but i think it should've just ended with the series budget cut episode. never liked the mixing theological terms with philosophy.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course I'm going to say EoE. Both franchises are a few of my favourite things, but I slightly prefer Evangelion overall.

If you speak in terms of beauty, End of Evangelion and DYRL are very different visually, but I believe the quality of those visuals are about the same, in technical terms (we really need an R1 EoE release with higher video quality than we got).

Beauty is more than visual, though, and End of Evangelion is a film I have much deeper emotional investment in than DYRL, as well.

(Also, I enjoy both endings to Evangelion, but at this point don't consider EoE essential to make Evangelion "complete".)

I was much more impressed with EOE's visuals than DYRL.

The artistic choices made, the visceral visual style and the deliberate shot compositions.

DYRL is great and fun to watch, but for me there is no comparison to be made in which one is the more "beautiful" film.

"Space Runaway Ideon" was a series "Gundam" creator Yoshiyuki Tomino did after "Gundam"; it was similarly science-fiction but on a grander, more space operatic scale. Basically a bunch of space-going refugees find a transforming big rig that eventually turns out to be animes most absurdly overpowered mecha ever (well, until "Guraan Lagann" came along), and one that they're not entirely in control of. "Be Invoked" is one of two "Ideon" movies, and like "End of Evangelion" presents an alternative ending to the T.V. series (famously, its one of the most apocalyptic anime endings of all time, though opinion varies a bit on exactly how apocalyptic).

In fact, "Ideon" explores some similar themes to "Evangelion" during the course of the series, something which is a little unlikely to be a coincidence, given that Gainax have always been one of the most culturally-aware anime studios and that Hideki Annos name pops up in a lot of places if you look at older anime (seriously, its almost frightening...!)...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Evangelion "should" be the next Gainax show to get a full HD remaster for BD. I was actually surprised they skipped to Gurren Lagann. But considering Honneamise, Gunbuster, Nadia, Diebuater, and FLCL have all been done, Eva has to be next. And I will totally import a full TV serires + movies set that mirrors the Gurren Lagann release... maybe a bit smaller...

• 2 years later...

For being mostly old school hand drawn animation dyrl rules. The eoe movie visually was great, but the feel was inconsistent. As far as story dyrl helped if the watcher had seen the series and eoe was like the creators said never mind to the ending then got really high and tried to rewrite the ending while listening to the beetles then got high again after a bad breakup and a random loved one died then did the animation.

Evangelion "should" be the next Gainax show to get a full HD remaster for BD. I was actually surprised they skipped to Gurren Lagann. But considering Honneamise, Gunbuster, Nadia, Diebuater, and FLCL have all been done, Eva has to be next. And I will totally import a full TV serires + movies set that mirrors the Gurren Lagann release... maybe a bit smaller...

My prediction came true!