SV51 Nora or VF27 Renewal ! Please help !!!

DantonVZ

Hello to everyone, I'm newer on this site and i need help with the situation I'm in . Firstly i want to excuse, because my English is not very good this time, but i hope you understand . Well, I am starting to collect macross mecha not so long ago, and slowly moved to decision of buying some enemy mecha. So the choice is not to big in this part, and my view is set on the SV 51 Nora, but i can't see any good review about it and i think that one single opinion of this toy is not exist, but i want to hear the more people who is more experienced than i. The main problem is that today Sv 51 Nora is very expensive toy, sometimes the cost is about 500 $, when the vf 27 Brera renewal is about 200-250 $. Nora is a very beautiful toy, very unique, and aggressive but i think it is very fragile. I have a bad experience with vf 171 Nightmare plus, where a lot of thin plastic parts in main structure, so my question for you is about the stability and reliability of Nora toy, did it have any die cast parts (especially i'm interested in legs connection to the body) or it is almost plastic. Maybe i ask you too much, but if someone have a few free time minutes, please write me some words about this toy and vf27 renewal .

Thanks in advance !!!

I've already seen this review but still don't know.... i mean that this review is the best of what I've seen but on anymoon.com there is no video about Nora and this keeps me thinking .... also i've seen a video review on CollectionDX but i think that this is not a good example of video review at all .

Please don't think that i'm a complaint person, but there are a lot of cool video reviews of vf 1, vf 25 and many others, and just a few about the sv51 ...

Anyway thanks a lot !!!

SV-51 Nora is a gorgeous bird. Anything Bandai is stupid (biased opinion), unless you can find it at a fantastic price.

Where are you from?

welcome to the boards, prepare your wallet.

i'm from Russian Federation !

Edited by DantonVZ

The reviews are pretty clear, unless you specify what is it exactly what your looking for.

Sound to me you're very interested in playability/durability.

The SV-51 Nora is pretty stable, it didn't come with the floppy wing hinge that troubled the 51 Ivanov. But after a lot lot lot of handling, like any articulated toy, joints could become a bit floppy, when this toys were made they were not made with today standards and higher quality materials so the 51 is a bit fragile if you mishandle it, if you treat it right, it will gracefully keep up. The 51 is mostly all plastic except for the leg swing bar if I remember correctly. Also comes with a nifty stand.

Bandai sucks!

Edited by Valkyrie addict

The reviews are pretty clear, unless you specify what is it exactly what your looking for.

Sound to me you're very interested in playability/durability.

The SV-51 Nora is pretty stable, it didn't come with the floppy wing hinge that troubled the 51 Ivanov. But after a lot lot lot of handling, like any articulated toy, joints could become a bit floppy, when this toys were made they were not made with today standards and higher quality materials so the 51 is a bit fragile if you mishandle it, if you treat it right, it will gracefully keep up. The 51 is mostly all plastic except for the leg swing bar if I remember correctly. Also comes with a nifty stand.

Bandai sucks!

Yes, you are wright ! The durability is important for me. I've got vf 25 ozma, and for me this is the best toy from this side . Or i just lucky ! But it was also very expensive ! vf 27 based on 25 so it makes me thinking about whose the best from the perspective of price-quality , Nora or Brera ...

I've got a SV-51 Nora and I'd much rather have a VF-27 Renewal. the SV-51 is an interesting design but it's a relatively old toy and it shows, the possibility is lackluster and there are parts that don't lock together very well if at all in each mode; many parts rely entirely on joint friction to stay in place and at least on my copy a lot of those joints are quite loose. The VF-27 is the weakest of the renewal toys but it still enjoys the advantage of the entire line which is that they're legitimately easy and fun to transform and pose.

Edited by anime52k8

I've got a SV-51 Nora and I'd much rather have a VF-27 Renewal. the SV-51 is an interesting design but it's a relatively old toy and it shows, the possibility is lackluster and there are parts that don't lock together very well if at all in each mode; many parts rely entirely on joint friction to stay in place and at least on my copy a lot of those joints are quite loose. The VF-27 is the weakest of the renewal toys but it still enjoys the advantage of the entire line which is that they're legitimately easy and fun to transform and pose.

i think so too, but Nora is so beautiful ^_^ !!!

Thanks a lot !

Guest davidwhangchoi

you can also post in the wanted section in the sales section and see if anyone has one to sell you.

i pm'd you. check your inbox.

it will be cool, but i've looking on ebay and amazon, and few other sites but the price was only higher ! Maybe you send me some i don't know ?

although i love the SV-51 design, i cannot recommend buying the current toy unless you don't mind floppy loose joints. i have the nora sv-51 and while its a great looking piece i almost NEVER want to handle it because its a fiddly mess. the vf-27 renewal is the more solid choice IMO. also i bet the SV-51 will get redone as arcadia seems to be starting with macross plus if the upcoming yf-19 is any indication.

I have both, and I like them both very much. However, the 1/60 VF-27 has just been renewed and improved, and is at a very reasonable price right now, (I'm not sure but it weems the price will not drop much more).

On the other hand, the 1/60 SV-51 was designed some five years ago, although the reissue has better application on the joints and so, it will for sure wear out and become loose again. Plus what's available right now are very likely used items (joints could be loose by now) sold at very high prices.

If it were me, I would buy the VF-27 now while the price is good now and wait for a Nora SV-51 at more reasonable prices, a reissue (depend on weather

Arcadia aquired this mode from Yamato), or a renewal version (but that would definately mean very high price)

I got my Nora at about USD120 when it was reissued about 3 years ago. :)

Regardless of how much diecast they put in the VF-27, it will always look like an anime spaceship (yet it's my favorite from MF). However the Ivanov SV-51 looks like a real aircraft, and the fact that it transforms makes it cooler in my books. And the size just makes my jaw drop ! If they re-release the SV-51 it won't be before 2015, so why wait two years ?

Edited by Dimis

Hi. It is a great question.

I may think that you want the SV-51 because it a big aircraft, and resembles the lovely Sukhoi, but believe me, it HAS NOT aged well.

I´ve had one, and traded soon afterwards. It´s amazing and big and menacing, I give you that, but it´s a floppy mess of parts that DOESN´T LOCK ANYWHERE. In Gerwalk mode (as in battroid) it´s almost standing by friction. It´s not the best piece to own. At least not for U$s 450...

I´ve paid U$S 120 for it in January, and traded for a VB-6 König Monster

The construction it´s not good by any modern standard. If you get it cheap, it´s ok, but not at that price.

It´s your first Valkyrie? If it is, and you want a Yamato, go find a VF-19 (any variant) and enjoy an amazing piece of modern engineering for a quite reasonable price.

If not, go for the Lucifer, or get a RVF-25.

Good hunting !

Btw, my Nora's still tight and stuff in full loadout. So I'm not sure what this "floppiness" stuff is coming from with other Nora owners.

Of course, I don't have Ivanov's and the CF. Maybe those are the floppy-mess they're talking about?

I also don't have the Brera-27 (or any Frontier-valk), but I seem to have read in the forum that the whole Frontier-valks (original and renewals) are prone to floppiness and breakage?

Btw, my Nora's still tight and stuff in full loadout. So I'm not sure what this "floppiness" stuff is coming from with other Nora owners.Of course, I don't have Ivanov's and the CF. Maybe those are the floppy-mess they're talking about?I also don't have the Brera-27 (or any Frontier-valk), but I seem to have read in the forum that the whole Frontier-valks (original and renewals) are prone to floppiness and breakage?

In fighter mode its ok, but in Gerwalk mode you know perfectly well that the wings does not lock, except by friction. Or the plastic hinge for the arms.

I've even managed to get it in gerwalk with full loadout, but it was kind of a miracle. And even without the extra parts, you just move it and the wings will fall. Even in battroid the chest doesn't lock anywhere. And it's not from 1985...

If you have no problems, and even upside down it doesn't fall at all, consider yourself very lucky.

It an amazing Valkyrie, but it's in the same league as the original YF19. It really deserves a remold, with full locking parts.

Great display piece, nothing more than that.

And the problem with Bandai Is that the ball joints really get floppy with time. But you can fix it with some superglue without even having to disassemble it. Not good by any means in a u$s 200 piece, btw.

Edited by Astro_BS-AS

Yeah.

My Nora does not have any droop or flop. The wings and stuff don't fall off on slightest touch or movement, either. It's always on GERWALK-mode since that's the prettiest mode for it.

Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe you're just unlucky. :D

edit:

Oh, and US$450 for a Nora is way insanely too much clams. If the op can get US$200 or less for a non-abused Nora, then get it.

Otherwise, just forget about it. The Nora is great, but not US$400+ great.

You might as well get the DX Mazinger Z if you're willing to spend US$400+ on a toy.

Edited by treatment

I think the key is what you intend to do with the VALK.

I have the three variants, they have been on display for years now. I transform them and rotate my display every six months or so, I agree they haven't aged the best but once I set them up they don't move, droop or sag.

If you want a VALK that you can frequently transform this is not the best one, nor is it a good buy at that $400 level.

However if you want a mean looking fighter and you can get it below $200, go for it - you won't regret it.

If you intend to transform the VALK and handle it a lot, go for the 27. It's not perfect, but it's a much newer design and looks rather aggressive in fighter and battroid.

I have echoed several other members comments, but I think you just need to assess what you really want - display piece versus a transformable toy.

Comparison. Could they be related designed by the same family of engineers? Folding wings, same hair piece and colours.

I was going to say that. The are similar in design and even have similar colors.

I'll go for the vf-27. Is a newer toy with lots of gimmicks, plus that price for a Nora is just too much. If you are willing to spend $400+ on a toy, wait some time and preorder the new yf-19 and you'll provably be much happier than with an old Nora sv-51.