I enjoyed the show. It seemed ripped from Frank Miller's comics and separated itself from Christopher Nolan's films quite well. Something that SHIELD should of done instead of riding on The Avenger's coat tails. Jada Pinkett Smith did a great job as Fish Mooney, totally blew away my expectations. The only thing I would of changed was adding Barbara later in the season or series, leave romantic options for Gordon. The sound track needs a huge improvement too. Other than that I'm gonna keep watching the show.

• 2 weeks later...

Any one freaked out or intrigued with Alfred being a Bastard?

Not really. They borrowed a little from Batman: Earth One where Alfred is somewhat of a jerk when he's presented in the comic.

Not really. They borrowed a little from Batman: Earth One where Alfred is somewhat of a jerk when he's presented in the comic.

I mostly think of Michal Cain, and Efrem Zimbilus JR when thinking of Alfred!!!!

"Ohi get down from their"

The fist second I thought he was beating Bruce.

Edited by miles316

After watching all of these recent episodes, I have two observations/suggestions for the producers of this show:

1) Drop the whole Bruce Wayne/Alfred story arcs NOW.

These are easily the most annoying aspects of the show. I get that Bruce is beginning to develop those traits that will make him into Batman down the road. But seriously, they need to quit hammering this aspect in every single freakin' episode!

Do we really need to see Gordon visiting Wayne Manor during each crime he's investigating or get a "meanwhile at Wayne Manor" token scene?

Plus, shoving Bruce and Alfred down our throats each episode just reminds us of Smallville and the unending cock-tease that we'll never see Batman until the very end.

At the very least, minimize these scenes to a rate of one bit scene every 5 to 6 episodes?

2) Keep focusing on the organized crime aspects.

All the backstabbing, plotting, and larger than life characters in these story arcs are easily the most enjoyable parts of the series so far.

Admittedly, I think they're moving too fast with the Penguin storyline. Him moving himself up to a "restaurant manager," was NOT a smart move, especially since his rep as a cop informant is eventually gonna come out. Regarless of their enemies, I have a feeling most of the crime bosses won't look too kindly to that reputation.

The show has some potential, but they really need to tone down all the Bruce-centric stuff. We've seen the Batman origin done far too many times already and done much better than the one presented in this version.

After watching all of these recent episodes, I have two observations/suggestions for the producers of this show:

Yeah, they need to tone it back. Bring in Bruce where necessary like this week where it did have some story purpose but otherwise, leave him out. I hear they are casting for Leslie Thompkins and Thomas Elliot (Hush). Hopefully that takes away the whole Gordon/Wayne storyline cuz that needs to go.

2) Keep focusing on the organized crime aspects.

Agreed.

Admittedly, I think they're moving too fast with the Penguin storyline. Him moving himself up to a "restaurant manager," was NOT a smart move, especially since his rep as a cop informant is eventually gonna come out. Regarless of their enemies, I have a feeling most of the crime bosses won't look too kindly to that reputation.

I think that will play in next week's episode.

I partially agree but the series pretty much revolves around the Wayne's murder.

Moving forward I do have to say that Gotham is a new favorite of mine. The Penguin followed by Fish Mooney are my favorite villains on television right now.

I'll admit it: the Bruce/Alfred scenes this week actually worked.

The whole "cleaning the weeds out of his family's business" and the extended look at Bruce developing his detectiving skills were good.

Plus, it's good that Gordon didn't just rush to Wayne Manor once he found out about WellZyn and its connection to Wayne Enterprises.

Morena Baccarin Joins ‘Gotham’ Cast

Overall, this show is kinda losing me. I'm not sure what their endgame is. I don't see a compelling story running through the show. Is Gordon trying to keep the mob from starting a full-blown civil war? What is Bruce Wayne's real roll in the show? Is he there to drive something in the story? What is he doing there other than being a name-drop. I'm not feeling a real focus to any of the characters in this show. It would help if we knew what they are getting to in this show. In the CW shows, I feel a certain thread binding the shows' season together. I don't really see it in this show.

really? cause I see where a bunch of monsters want Falconi dead, and Bruce finding out just how much corruption there is within his parents company and how it ties into Gotham city itself and its citizens.

and after what Alfred did Monday night and of course now with penguin I think things will start to unravel and the show will go somewhere.

• 3 months later...

Well no ones been commenting so I guess I will.

Gotham has had it's fair share of hits and misses....stories like the Goat or the love triangle that's brewing for Gordon, would be some of the misses scratching my head while the 2 part story of Scarecrow was a hit imo. This week was really a mixed thing....we're given a glimpse into a new origins of the Joker, and lemme tell you, big step away from The Killing Joke. I dug it, I thought the kid playing the Joker was great. He used a hint of both Nickleson and Ledger that's a nod to them for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been kinda neutral towards the series overall (it has its pluses and woeful minuses). But last week's episode was pretty damn fun and energetic.

The whole Red Hood storyline was a fun romp and not some dreary/depressing investigation.

The Penguin and Butch bits showed some promise and interesting backstory.

Even though the rough-hewn British and hard Scottish Brogue accents were a little hard to follow at times, the Alfred storyline was good enough to move the plot logically along.

And Fish showed some massive, MASSIVE stones in that office/lab. :blink:

The only thing that dragged the episode down was that whole "Let's just slap these characters together since they all have nothing better to do" feel of the Barbara, Cat, and Ivy scene. But at least, we got a nice burn line out of it.

• 6 months later...

Does the first episode of season Two mean Barbara Kenan will not be the one that maries Jim and has Jim JR and Barbara/Batgirl?

No clue. I didn't even know the season started until I was looking for another show.

• 10 months later...